Fractured

بواسطة JadedViolet

(Book 2) Now that Luke knows the truth about his wife, there is one thing left to do to in order for Clare to... المزيد

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Author's Note

Chapter 47

26.4K 527 58
بواسطة JadedViolet

Chapter 47

I was ready to get up and 'go to the bathroom.'  Because with every second still in the presence of Patrick, it was making his case more credible.  He figured it out and there wasn't much left we could do.  Luke would try to brush his words off and act confused as to what Patrick meant when he brought up his last name.  Luke would probably try to at least sway him to ponder over it instead of jumping too conclusions - that Francis was the traitor.  It was a good shot, I knew, to try to make him question himself.  However, with me sitting there and now sweating bullets, clearly uncomfortable, it only furthered Patrick's speculation. 

I didn't move, no matter how much I wanted to leave.  I realized it would only cause more suspicion.  Therefore, I was fucked in both ends, to put it in a more amusing way with how serious this was. I glanced over to Luke as calmly as I could after it sank in that Francis was most likely now figured out by him.  I could feel my eyes were wide and my breath was ridged.  In such a intensely quiet room, where I could feel Patrick's eyes, I needed to look as laid back as I could.  I did the best I could as I moved my eyes to Luke.  Who, I noticed, kept up his stone mask.  

His eyes were calm on Patrick's.  Lips were flat, body relaxed as could be.  The only disturbance on Luke's face was the deliberate lowering of his eyebrows in 'confusion.'  "Yes... that is my name.  Could you elaborate on why that might matter?" Luke asked, in an annoying tone, very convincingly.  He nonchalantly looked over to me with a blank face, offering me nothing other than a sideways glance of no importance since Patrick was watching us.  Probably to see what my reaction was to this.  I was sure he could see my tense body and unsuccessful reaction.  All he could do about it was hope I could handle it. 

Both of us glancing back to Patrick, he scoffed and looked between us.  "Cut the bullshit, copper.  I'm not going to buy your let's-play-stupid approach.  I know it's Francis.  You can't change my mind,"  he said in a confident voice that told us he would not budge on the matter.  Unfortunately, I had to believe it.  Even if we somehow got him to believe otherwise, Francis would still be in serious danger.  No turning back now.  So, as Luke also saw, we needed to just brush it off and act like we don't care - to at least give the illusion that he didn't hit us in a soft spot.  Glancing to Luke, he gave him an amusing smile.  "Alright then," Luke chuckled.  "You go after whoever Francis is when you get out of here.  Can we move onto the next question now?" Luke asked in such a calm voice.  I didn't know how he did it, how he could do it so calmly.  If I was him, I would have blown up in Patrick's face and have been clearly shook up at my brother now clearly being a target.  But he brushed it off, played stupid, and was moving on.  He deserved so much credit for that because I wouldn't have been able to do that.  After all, there was no more we could do now at the moment.

Patrick clearly though wasn't buying Luke's act - even when it was entirely convincing.  "Sure we can," he chuckled under his breath, shaking his head and looking very satisfied at the moment.

"Why come at us with knives?  And why come at me specifically?" Luke asked, showing he put all his attention now on this question.  Which I wouldn't have been able to do as successfully.  My thoughts were glued on Francis.  I wanted to leave the room and get on the phone, tell him what happened.  I wanted Francis to be safe, to stay with us, to never return to the gang. I wanted to do it now!  Leave and talk to him as soon as possible. It was hard to just sit there after that, even when we still needed more answers. 

Patrick gave a dramatic sigh, and sat forward more.  Resting his elbows on the table, his eyes found mine.  They didn't leave either.  He just stared at me.  To at least try to regain something back from my uneasiness before, I stared back at him.  His smirk fading slightly, a more hateful look entered his gaze before he finally looked back over to Luke, smiling slightly again.  "We went in with knives because we knew this would go down behind a police station."  He laughed and went on.  "You think we would fucking shoot off guns when a station is a couple yards away where we would have been heard?"

"Alright, understandable.  Why come after me?" Luke asked in a monotone voice.

Patrick scoffed again, and looked back over to me.  This time with a full smirk on his face.  I would just see the wheels in his head turning....  He glanced back to Luke when he answered, still glancing back to me every few seconds.  "Because we needed to take you down first.  We go after this bitch first and we are at a disadvantage with you being able to defend her.  So you were our first target."  He paused for a moment and his smile grew wider; he narrowed his eyes.  "I mean after going after her enough times and seeing you always there in the way, we figured out you would probably always be there.  After all, I think I was right when I said before that you were sleeping around," he said, looking back to me and gesturing to Luke. "You having a fun time fucking him?  It's really working out because he keeps running like a dog to protect his little bitch," he laughed. 

That was what set Luke off, which absolutely shocked me.  My mind was consumed in worry over Francis.... That we needed to leave now, get to Francis, warn him that they have an idea he is a traitor (and that one now knows it's him).  I wanted to call him, go to him, help him, so we could protect him.  He needed to know... and I knew that that was all that was on Luke's mind.  He just wanted to get to Francis.  So with our attention only half here, I was shocked to see all of Luke's come back when Patrick said that. Of course, I came back to attention fully when Patrick said that they were going after Luke first because he was the biggest threat.  It made me upset, and worry immensely, about what would happen next time... but he was pissed about him offending me.

Looking over to Luke, he stood up instantly from his chair but he didn't advance towards him.  Maybe because it was instinct for me to grab his hand and hold him, reminding him there was more important things.  More than him getting pissed off over what he said about me fucking him.  It reminded me of what happened before when Patrick taunted him using me.  Luke beat him up and that was the last thing we needed now, with knowing there was some cops watching (and hopefully not the sheriff). 

Staring up at Luke with wide eyes, wanting to beg him to sit his ass down and stop, I saw he was scowling.  His eyes were filled with heat and anger aimed at Patrick.  "Don't you ever talk about her like that again," he said under his breath, this time with an edge to his voice.  With that, he quickly sat back down next to me.  Before I removed my hand though, I felt his body force itself to relax as it had before when Francis came up.  It wasn't but a minute until he was all stone again. 

Patrick, looking entirely amused now, cracked up for a moment before composing himself.  All the while, I could feel my need to get out of here rise in me again. I didn't want to be around him anymore.  I didn't want to be here... I needed to talk to Francis.  We both needed to warn him to never go back there and to hide, maybe even hide with us somewhere.  I could tell Luke wanted the same.  He wanted to get to Francis, to leave because he was slowly losing his patients I could tell.  That's why he swiftly went on to the next question, his voice just slightly more menacing.

"Is there anything we could do to end this?" Luke asked him, looking even slightly desperate when I glanced over to him before back to Patrick.

He smirked more, raising a hand up to his head.  Running his long fingers through his greased hair, his eyes looked amused and teasing again.  "If there was any chance, let me tell you... it's gone now."

"What do you mean?" I spoke up, narrowing my eyes.

"Well, if there even was such a chance to end this, you both fucked it up.  You killed Pauly's son."

...What?  Just what?  I wasn't ready to just 'go to the bathroom' anymore folks.  I was ready to openly walk out without an excuse now. After he said that, I was so confused (so don't feel like the only ones).  More so, it just gave me a feeling... that a line was crossed after he said that.  That we were in deeper shit than we realized.  Because as I watched Patrick carefully, even with that amused dumb smirk, it looked like it was there for a reason, not just to mess with us.  I didn't at all like what he said either, even if I didn't understand what he meant.

Luke voiced what was rolling in my head.  "Who is Pauly?"

"That's something I can't speak much of.  You could say he keep me paid and all the rest of us in business."

From what he said, it made me think of the head of this entire thing.  That he was running this.  Of course, there were different levels of leadership I had to assume.  Someone was running the ships smuggling it, one was operating the money no doubt, one had to be in charge of the entire thing in Sandusky... one for the state maybe, one for the country.... So where was this 'Pauly' at?  Wherever he was placed at in power, he clearly held it over the gang - that's what I was getting out of this anyway.  And that... was not good.

When he said that I realized what it could mean, my heart jumped and made my breath do the same thing.  My eyes were nailed on him, like he held all of our answers.  I had a sick feeling he did when speaking of our lives at risk.  he knew what was going on, he was in the gang.  He was our link, besides Francis - but that this point, that link would break when we get to Francis. 

"Is he the one that is making you come after her?" Luke asked.

"We went after her based on revenge before and anger born out of old friendships with Mark.  We, her old friends, took that into our hands to do that.  It didn't have much to do with business... until it started to interfere.  It was just about getting back at her," he told Luke, glancing to me before focusing on him.  "That was until you started to kill us off.  It only angered us more... and it angered our bosses.  They were losing clients and workers because we became so invested in killing her and ended up dead for it."  So far, what he was telling us, we already knew.  Thanks to Francis.  But like we also knew, Francis could only get so much out of them.  There was much more, especially now.  Because what we didn't know was just how much things have changed after that attack.   "Clients and workers dead... we kept going after you as friends of Mark but more became angry and more wanted you dead.  Soon, our bosses were becoming angry and were thinking about getting involved because it affected business.  One of our bosses had a son that was upset at us dying... so he came with us to ambush you behind the station."

"Oh god," Luke said under his breath, without thinking.  I was on board with him though because... I started to feel sick.  I started to understand what happened and it wasn't good.  It wasn't good at all and I could start feeling failure for us coming. Luke kept killing them when they came after us... and it made the bosses mad because we were affecting business.  It's getting worse now thanks to one of the bosses son's who came at us.  I was smart enough to realize Patrick was one of the only ones left alive from that attack....

Looking to Patrick, as he watched Luke's face, he started to nod at seeing us catch on.  He looked over to me and I could only imagine my expression.  I felt ready to throw up... tremble and ready to get sick.  My breath went harder and harder as it hit me, hit me hard that we will die if this continues.  We will be dead, and Francis could die too.  We might die!  We have been trapped from the start it looked like... a chain reaction was unavoidable.  Unavoidable, unavoidable, and we should have known it.  The more they come at us, the more we kill, the more angry they get.... until it gets to this point!

"Yeah," he nodded, licking his smiling lips.  "Yeah, that's right," he looked to Luke.  "You killed one of our bosses son's.  That was the push, copper.  That did it.  Now, it's not just us wanting you dead.  It's the bosses.  And you... really... pissed them off.  Pauly wants to fuck you up so bad... and he will.  He went to his son's bloody funeral ready for war with you," he said, sitting forward and stressing his words to Luke.  I knew he didn't need to... I was scared out of my mind.  I was sure Luke wasn't taking this news well either. "In other words, no deals.  No money, no nothing will get you out of this.  This isn't about revenge for Mark anymore.  Oh no," he shook his head.  "It's about murdering you now.  For his son, for the business, for all the trouble you have caused resisting us.  They are ready to bury this little bitch," he said pointing to me, making me wince and I couldn't bother anymore hiding my fear or anger.  My breath went crazy, my eyes fell to the floor, and my mind spun out of my head.  "And they aren't too fond of you at the moment.  You killed everyone so far, including his son.  You both are as good as fucking dead now."

***

"I want him transferred by tomorrow!" Luke ordered in a hard voice to the officers in the room that had been listening as he rushed down the hall and out of that room.  Luckily, none of them were the sheriff, we noticed.

"Luke," I hissed, following swiftly after him to where he was heading to the main lobby. After all, I heard he didn't plan to go into protective custody like some of them suggested for us after they heard that.  He refused to and said he would 'handle it properly.'  When that apparently got a reaction out of the officers, Luke assured them he thought Patrick was full of BS and was just wanting to tell Francis the news.  But I knew better.

I followed Luke out to the main part, where he swiftly approached the main desk with the secretary.  He didn't wait one second to start to speaking to her when their eyes met.  "Pull up everyone with the name Paul or Pauly - last or first - in the region you can with a history of smuggling or drugs!  I want a report!" Luke barked and nodded to her.  He didn't stop moving either, walking swiftly by and towards the front doors of the building.

"Luke!" I said, moving after him with quick steps.  I needed him to stop, to talk to him about this, for him to slow down and think.  Even if it was hard for me to properly do so at the moment

By the time he pushed the front doors of the station open, he moved outside to the front steps and I followed right after him.  I slid on my coat I grabbed when we left the interrogation room, grabbing his in the process since he was out the door before another thought.  He was scared, and evidently now, seriously pissed off. 

The fresh air flooded my senses, caressing my skin coldly the moment I followed him out of the building onto the cement platform of the place.  My eyes on his back, he didn't stop moving as he quickly moved down the front steps of the building.  Holding my wool coat to me as the slight breeze threatened to invade me, I gripped his coat to my chest and swiftly ran down the steps after him. I followed Luke along the front parking lot as he walked swiftly around the building to where the car was parked.   At this point now, outside and close behind him, I picked up my pace enough to grip his arm tightly and try to stop him in his place from moving.

"Luke!" I hissed in anger, my hand digging into his arm through his uniform and he finally slowed down.  I gripped him hard and turned him around to face me as I came to stand before him, not letting him go.  When he was facing me now though, and he looked down meeting my eyes, he didn't look as angry.  Just shook up and upset, fearful and nervous.

"What?" he said quickly, voice breaking.  His eyes searched mine in swift determination.  His lips were tight together with his jaw tense... Luke's whole body was tense.  Those sweet jade eyes found mine with so much pain after a moment too... enough to make me just want to hold him.

"We need to calm down," I said, trying to convince him and myself. 

"How?" he whispered, his voice shaky.  I could tell you now... he was not showing the stone face he did a while ago when talking to Patrick.  He hid it so well because now, it was clear how shook up he was.  "He wasn't lying," he said to me.  "I can tell when someone is bluffing or lying and he wasn't.  I am skeptical of that type of shit but I could just tell... he was telling the truth.  And do you understand what that means?"

"It means we stay strong.  We stay together, we stay smart, and calm.  Calm."

His eyes buried in mine, almost begging, a moment later he gave me an apologetic gaze and nodded.  "You're right," he said, as if trying to convince himself of that.  "I'm sorry.  But I... I don't know..." he sighed, not finishing.

"Just hold my hand," I said lightly under my breath and let his arm go, sliding my fingers down to his clenched fist until he opened his palm to welcome mine. 

He swallowed hard, and took a deep breath. His eyebrows rose in wonder, pain, and need.  I squeezed his hand tighter as he spoke in a quiet voice.  "We need to leave," he said, his eyes sad in mine.

I nodded.  Our first priority after all is getting to Francis and telling him the news first, then worry about ourselves. "Is he home right now?" I asked.

"That's not what I mean," he said in a lower voice.  He looked down for the slightest second before his eyes met mine... and it scared me, the way he was staring at me.  I realized what he meant by needing to leave.  "After we tell Francis what's going on, we need to leave town.  We need to run."

I bit my lip, looking down.  Taking a deep breath, my first thoughts were selfish.  because I wanted to stay.  I wanted to stay and get what we could with Emily, try to bust Clare....  "Do we need to?"

"Do you want to die?" he asked in a soft voice, cupping my cheek and raising an eyebrow. 

I swallowed.  "No," I shook my head, my voice breaking.  "No.  I want to run.  You're life is at risk too and that's why I want to go and run.  But I don't want to abandon Emily.  I want Clare to go down... and running wont help.  They will come after us, wont they?" I asked.  I was smart enough to realize it would happen.  We couldn't hide. 

"They will," he said in a gentle voice.  He gave a deep sigh and shook his head.  "Look, we will talk about it later, okay?  I'm sorry I brought it up," he nodded, caressing my cheek.  "I'm sorry if I scared you.  I'm just... overwhelmed with all that.  Let's go see Francis," he said, stroking my skin.  "We will go talk to him, get a game plan... everything will be okay," he said, giving me a small smile.  "I'll take care of you.  No matter the cost.  I'll make everything okay sweetie."  He was clearly very on edge.

I didn't know how he could, but reading his eyes, I somehow believed him.  I sighed and nodded, pursing my lips and looking down slightly. I honestly didn't know what would work.  I know I didn't want to run but I wouldn't stop him this time.  I wont risk his life again for sticking around for answers.  I nodded again, getting it through my head.  One step at a time... and the first started by talking to his brother right away. 

***

When we got to Francis's house, he was with Brooke and Jan watching a movie (since she went to stay with them while Mike was gone).  Of course, Jan and Francis could tell something was wrong.  It's not often Luke rushes through the door without knocking then scolds him for having it unlocked when he needs to be safe....  Yeah, Jan got the hint right away.  So did Francis, who took us upstairs to talk with us while Jan kept Brooke downstairs watching the movie, who didn't know any better.

By the time we told Francis everything that happened, we were out of breath from talking and the nerves that made us breath more rapidly.  He said nothing the whole time, just listening for once.  Of course, by the time we were done, it was time to get a plan going.  On how to hide, what to do, where to go.... But Francis apparently had other ideas.

I was sitting on Francis's huge fancy bed, legs crossed and facing Francis who was propped against the headboard.  Luke didn't have the power to sit still like we were on the bed.  He was standing along side of the bed, shifting from side to side, paced a little too. His eyes were locked on Francis as were mine after we were done explaining everything.

"Well... this is great," he said under his breath when he looked between Luke and I.  His eyes looked alert but at the same time dead - one of the few times he didn't look ready with a comeback.  His eyes were darker, his lips flat, and his eyebrows scrunched in worry.  But no sign of confusion of what to do. "What did you guys want to do?"

"Leave," Luke said with absolution.

Francis scoffed, and rubbed the back of his neck.  His eyes falling to the golden bedspread me and him were sitting over, he gave an audible sigh and licked his lips.  Biting his bottom lip, he slowly looked back up to me... and I saw a look for him I haven't seen in a long time.  One of worry, so much so that it was like one of the ones Luke sometimes gives me.  He just stared at me for the longest time in thought before he looked back up to the side at his brother.

"Well... that's not going to happen.  To any of us.  We aren't leaving."

"Excuse me?" I asked, jumping in and not understanding.  What the hell did he mean by that?

"You want to run?  Only to have you chased?  How would that end all this?"

Luke raised his voice, and when I looked up to him, he looked ready to break.  He bent closer to where Francis was sitting and looked at him not understanding.  "You want to tell us how the fuck we would be able to end this?  We run to live, not to win," Luke said, explaining to Francis.  When I looked back to Francis though, he didn't seem fazed.  He just knew he didn't want running to be an option.  I was more on Luke's side... better to live running then die stupidly.   

"Did Patrick tell anyone yet that I'm the traitor?" he asked, looking between us.

Luke finally sat down on the edge of the bed.  His leg was still active and bouncing with nerves.  "No but I know he will when he get's contact with the outside world.  He doesn't get a call out until tomorrow afternoon I think."

"Would there be a way to stop him from telling anyone?  To cut him off with communicating with anyone from the outside world?"

Luke sighed, and thought it over for a long time.  "Not really.  That can be considered a violation of rights if we do that.  There would be no real way to do that..." Luke said, thinking still.

"Fuck rights," I spoke up, unable to keep my mouth shut.  I drew Luke's eyes to mine.  "This is Francis's life we are talking about.  Is there a way you can pay someone to keep him isolated?"

Luke looked at me like I was crazy and didn't really understand why I would think that would work.  His eyebrows lowered and his eyes stared into mine, trying to figure this out.  "Do you know how much of a risk that is?  Bribe someone and hope they accept."

Francis broke in, drawing our eyes back to him when he spoke.  "Well, no matter how you do it, if you could that would be great.  That way, I can still go back to the gang and try to get us all off the hook."

Mind. Fucking.  Blown.  What the hell is wrong with him?  Forget about bribing.  What Francis was suggesting was crazy.  I nearly smacked him, then and there.  After all we told him, after the entire gang suspects him of being a traitor, after one of them even knows... he wants to go back?!  Did he even hear anything that we told him?

"Did you listen to what we just told you?" Luke hissed at him, leaning closer, his eyes wide and threatening.  "You're screwed!  They will know you are a traitor and it's too dangerous, especially now that we know the bosses want us dead too!"

His eyes looked to me then Luke, wider and defending.  "I'm not screwed if you get that asshole in jail to keep his mouth shut.  One way or another, if it doesn't get out that I'm the traitor, I could maybe resolve this whole thing."

What on Earth was he talking about?  I internally sighed and wanted to roll over, sleep, die... eat some food and then die I mean.  Why was he so set on going back?  Even from the moment he said he was going back to those people months ago, we didn't want it.  But now, this was a whole new level.  He didn't have a good argument going in his case.  However, his words did get me.  What did he mean he could stop and resolve this whole thing if he goes back in?  I mean, who knows if we could keep Patrick shut from the outside world.  What could Francis do that was so worth it?

"How could you solve this whole thing, Francis?" I asked sharply, shaking my head, scowling.

"Well, you guys said that this boss guy, Pauly, wont back down according to the prick, right?  Patrick said nothing will stop this dude from coming after you, full on with as many people possiblele.... But that only means you can't go to him and make a deal.  What if I went to him, even maybe had a few people that didn't like all this drama in the gang, come with me and try to propose a deal.  For the good of the company..... I could be the 'speaker' and approach him on this, offer him a shit ton of money, how much he wants, and say the gang doesn't want to be involved anymore in going after you guys.  He would get a ton of money for this and have the opinion of his clients to weight on... and though he is so set on this, he might bow down if I say he could lose clients and workers if he keeps sending them after you guys.  Either they will leave openly or die and if I put it that way, he might agree that it would be a bad idea to pursue you."

I thought it over and it was actually a solid plan in my mind.... The only reason I was against it right away was that it would be incredibly dangerous for Francis, and that's an understatement.  He wouldn't be approaching just some smuggler or one of the group.  No, he would be going to one of the head guys operating this thing.  He's already being looked at for being a traitor.  He goes to the main dude, the others will be suspicious.  This Pauly isn't connected really to the group to know that they think there is a traitor among them but it's still so risky... especially if Francis goes in and asks to accept money and the will of the group he is speaking for.

"No." I shook my head after a long stretch of silence existed in the air between all of us.  Finding Francis's eyes through his thick frames, the hazel in them appealed to me.  "Way too dangerous.  It's stupid and not worth it."

"Even if it means you dying if I don't do it?  You're option is to run - and who knows if that will do you any good!  And what's my option, Albany?  If you can shut Patrick up, if I go in and do this, there is a good chance we can all get out of this free.  They wouldn't come after you anymore and I would leave the gang without any conflict."

"Patrick will eventually talk," Luke spoke up.  He looked at Francis intently.  "Even if I can get him to stay quiet, it wont last forever."

"Just make it last until I can get in and make a deal with this Pauly guy.  And when it eventually does get out, I will have already left if everything goes smoothly and they don't go after you.  And if not, I will just leave town.  They are more interested in going after you then a traitor." Francis made the point.

My eyes rested on Luke and I narrowed my eyes.  "Are you seriously thinking about letting him do it?"

"No," Luke shook his head.  "I don't want him to do it.  I'm fully against it."  He looked back to him.  "It's his choice though.  His life and it concerns him too.  Francis, if you do this... you don't do it for just us.  Or I will force you not to do it at all," Luke said.

Francis scoffed but nodded.  "I will do it to stop all this.  For both of you but for me too.  I'm sick of this shit," he said and I only shook my head, biting my lip.

"Don't you have any common sense left in you?" I nearly shouted, angry at him as I narrowed my eyes.  And when his met mine, my heart jumped.  With that as well, I couldn't stay sitting.  I was on my feet besides Luke, staring down at him heavily.

"Common sense? Oh darling, don't you start with me," Francis chuckled as he stared back to me. "I can sell it!  Their men keep fucking dying!  One of the boss's sons are dead!  He wants this to end, even if he wants you both dead.  This should work!  He's money hungry and we will give to him too, it will help his business.  Only a retard would pass this up!"

"Only a retard like you would bother doing this!  You're not doing this for me!" I said, my voice breaking.  "You do this, and it better be because you're too stupid to know any better!"

"Then I guess that's my reason," he said, pursing his lips but I could tell he said that as a joke.

I took a hard and deep breath, feeling my anger in me rising and I wanted to hit him so bad.  He has a nice life, family, a daughter!  Why the fuck?!  Why the fuck risk so much for no reason!  "Luke, can you give me a minute to speak with him," I asked in a shallow voice, looking up to my side where Luke was standing, very tense.  His eyes met mine.  Luke sighed and gave me a soft smile, even if tightly.

"Yeah," he said, as he turned and rubbed my arm for a second before Luke left the room.  And when the door closed behind him... it was just me and the stubborn ass sitting on the bed in front of where I was standing.

"Alone time with me?  Luke might get jealous," Francis snorted.

That did it.  Especially when he knew how serious of a situation this was.  I stepped forward without another thought and snapped my hand forward, slapping him across the face.  It was instinct and I wasn't sorry.  He was being stupid - and a smart ass when this was life or death.  He winced just slightly and his smirk that was there before was now gone. The sound rang and echoed seemingly louder in the air than I figured it would.  Maybe because after that, there was nothing but silence between us for a long moment. 

I watched as he sighed, and slowly moved to the side of the bed and stand up.  Standing before me now and facing me, his lips were flat and his eyes were digging in mine.  "I suppose I deserve that," he murmured, crossing his arms before me as he stared down to me.

"Why do you want to do this?" I asked seriously.

Francis looked down for a moment.  And they wouldn't meet mine until he looked back to me. "Because I have been selfish my entire life, Albany.  I fucked up my life and made my family worry about me constantly, my daughter.... When I turned my life around, I tried doing all I could to pay them back.  And I owe this to you and Luke.  I just want to help," he said, sighing.  "Even if I act reckless about it.  Even if I am being reckless.  I do it because I just want to help."

I watched him carefully, noticing he was a bit uncomfortable.  With him before me, I also noticed he didn't meet my eyes much.  It was then that it really dawned on me... how much me and him were alike in that aspect.  Being reckless in some cases - though I will argue this was a new level.  But he also wants to make up for what he did before.  He's trying... even when I don't want him to do this.

"Francis," I took a deep breath.  "I don't think you understand how much... I hurt when people do things for me.  During Christmas, I felt ready to just leave and block the whole thing out. Getting presents was hard enough because I was always use to depending on myself.  So it's still hard for me.  I hate how Luke is willing to do anything for me.  I don't want him to.  So the last thing I want is for you to risk your life when it's not called for," I said, trying to hide the begging tone in my voice.  I was connecting with him, I didn't want him to think I was a pansy. 

"It's my choice," he said, moving closer and resting a hand on my arm.  "And you can't stop me if I want to do this.  I understand what you are going through right now.  But that's something you need to deal with.  You need to try to handle people giving things for you because that's your emotional issue.  Not mine.  I'm sorry it bothers you but I'm going to do it."

It was then that I realized he was right.  And there was nothing I could do to stop him.  I had no idea how it would go.  I mean... he was planning on going in, offering up money and a couple good arguments to stop them from coming after us again.  It was a long shot but believable at the same time.  As we talked, he didn't back down once, even when I brought up family and his daughter.  He was set to do this.... And I understood.  I did.  We were just a like.  He felt it was among the things he wants to do in order to feel better about himself.

Therefore, when I was done fighting him, and he finally just gave me a supportive long hug, we made a plan based around him going in and offering that deal.  Talking with Luke, a game plan was made.

Luke and I wouldn't run.... That was a last resort if Pauly didn't buy in.  We would lay low and Luke would try his best too keep Patrick isolated - which he managed to do later that night.  We went back to the station after we left Francis's house and Luke managed to give a close friend of his enough money to make sure Patrick wont be able to pass any information to the outside world.  It was very risky - and could cost him his job if it blew up in his face.  It could get the entire department in trouble.  I guess it's a good thing Luke is loaded, more than I could imagine. 

It was agreed that though Patrick wont be talking any time soon, it was be safer for Jan and Brooke to go stay with Shannon until after Francis went in and proposed that deal.  Just to be safe of course.  We wanted Francis to come stay with us but we figured they would be watching him if they suspected he was a traitor.  Luke and I figured he might want to stay at a hotel for a while but that might even make things look worse.  Besides, they wouldn't try to go after him.  He was still one of them and Patrick, we were certain, wouldn't be able to have contact with the rest of the world.  But that didn't make us any less worried... Luke wanted him to come with us but besides that looking suspicious, we didn't need Clare realizing he was the traitor too if she was in on it.  So Luke gave him a gun and managed to approve and assign an officer to be stationed outside of Francis's house, thanks to the now documented threat on Francis.  It made us feel a lot better knowing an officer will always be in front of his house undercover.

It was a crazy night... and very sad at the same time for me.  I didn't feel safe at all.  I didn't feel Francis was safe either.... It made me feel sick that night and Luke could barely sleep, he was so on edge.  He even called his brother in the middle of the night and checked up on him.... It was all just... falling apart.  Everything.  We had a whole army with a boss coming at us unless Francis can help.  It was so dangerous.  Even though we planned on wiring him when he did it, it could backfire.  Any of this could.  I missed our break already but thank god we found all this out now than later.  I had faith that Francis could stop this.  It was just dangerous.  Lord knows how much worse it will get when we look into those files we found on Clare and Emily.  After all, this chaotic shit came from just a questioning.  I could only imagine how bad it will be when things start to clash. 

واصل القراءة

ستعجبك أيضاً

686 38 27
**Book Two of The Mystery Girl** You don't need to have read the first book completely, but it could help at some points to understand what's going...
Sent Away بواسطة SummerLove6

قصص المراهقين

14.8K 312 19
Billie Hunter's life seemed perfect from the outside. Her mum married in to a large rich family and money became no object, but she took an instant h...
14.2K 548 27
Hi! Peter's back! If you haven't read the first book, go check it out! If you'd prefer not to, don't worry! I'll write an original storyline at some...
Isolated بواسطة Ren

غموض / الإثارة

508K 21.6K 90
(Book 3) It's a whole different world for... well not 'Albany' exactly. But a girl that goes by a different name. Living in a different place, thro...