The Devils Backbone

By Skipology

Fanfiction based on the History Channels Hatfields and McCoys. [Book is a rough draft - needs heavy editing] ... More

CAST: The Hatfield Clan
CAST: The McCoy Clan
SOUNDTRACK
Across the River
Looming Airs
Timber
Blacker Berries
Cotton's Soup
Rain Water
Ominous
Hogswagglers Jury
Chores to Do
Election Day
Rose on the Doorstep
Too Far Gone
Counting Seconds
The Shack
Up to the Timber
Untitled Blooms
Pikeville
Close
Was There Peace in the Valley
Chill Down the Spine
As Blood Sets the Table
Unease
In the Dark
Like Rain in the Sky
One Crossed the River
Lambs Last Mercy
Blood Toucheth Blood
Ever On
Trouble with Peace
Autumn Rain
Fire Starters
Laughter in the Dark
Irregular
A Call to the Wilds
Schemes
Comes A Knocking
Angels
Changing Winds
The Begining
Smoke Before The Blaze
Regrouping
How Deep the Water Runs
A Cabin in the Hills
High Alert
Heat the Frying Pan
Day in the Life
A Wild Ride
No Bells A Ringin'
For Want of a Nail
Killing Season
The Things You Sew
Start of a Charge
New Faces
The First Night
Battlezones
The Pine Box
When All Goes Right
Now's About Time
A Snake in the Roses
Quiet Thunder
The Color of Blood
Plans
Where the Apricots Grow
The Gut You Trust
Road to New York
At Ease
Something New
Adder in the Garden
Fibs and Folly
The Dream Deferred
The Get Away
The Way Back
The Nerve
Mother May I
Daddy Dearest
Quiet Gatherings
Good Bad Spine
Sundance
Rock Bottom
Cold Dark Morning
Lost and Found
From The Pit
Winter's Sigh
A Wing to Mend
Two Came Knocking
Hard Luck, Shared Blood
For the Better?
A Merry Secret
An Unclever Ruse

Hammer and Nails

3K 144 80
By Skipology

Chyna had been hidding out in the stables, it was the one place she rarely spent much time. Thus, the perfect place to hide.

She brushed the next of the horse who's stall she was hidding in. Chyna had to admit she felt really silly, but that terrible feeling never left her and today it was just growing larger. A great big feeling of dread that she had never felt before. Its existance was a mystery to her and that made it worse.

The horse whinnied and pawed its hoof at the hay in it's stall. Chyna quietly crouched down in the horses shadow, hearing someone enter.

There footfalls rolled slowly across the ground. Stopping every so many steps as if observing. Chyna bit her lip and shut her eyes. "Please go away" she thought.

"What're you doin' down there?" Cap's voice called out. "Damn" Chyna thought. Opening one eye she peered up at Cap who looked down at her eyebrows raised. Chyna sighed and sstood up resting her hand on the horse for comfort, her eyes strayed away from Cap's.

"You know...Red Barrel here...she aint very friendly...it's not wise to be in there" Cap warned eying the Mare carefully. Chyna stroked Red Barrel's neck. "She ain't mind me...I've been in here almost an hour and she's hardly even blinked at me" Chyna said. Cap shook his head "so-" he paused. He would have teased her but the fearful glint in the back of Chyna's eyes stopped him.

"Why're hidding in here?" He asked leading against the stall.

Chyna remained quiet for a moment, listening to the sounds of the early morning.

"Why are you looking for me?" She countered. Cap sighed and shooved his hands in his pockets. "I just wanted someone to talk to I guess...I hate these Election day fairs" Cap muttered.

"They aint nothin but folks sucking up to my Pa, Pa suckin up to politicians...rowdy rude McCoys and girls fussin over Johnse" Cap said with little intrest in his voice.

"Then why go?" Chyna asked.

A wide smile came to Cap's face, "because, I got somethin I wanna show off...I've been practicin real hard with Uncle Jim...ain't nothin special about me really but, I'm good at this and I never expected that" Cap said his smile was playful but his tone was very serious.

He looked down at Chyna and winked "an' I want you to root for me and watch, alright so you can't be out here hiddin' away" Cap said.

Chyna gave a nervous smile as Cap looked at her expectantly.

"I don't wanna go...I've got a terrible-" Chyna's voice cracked as even talking about it seemed to give the dark feeling strength "feeling about this fair...I felt it two days ago. It won't leave me alone." She confessed, shoving her hands in the pockets of her apron to hide that they trembled.

"If you're worried about the McCoys...I promised remember?" Cap said with a serious gaze. Chyna shook her head "Its not them...its the day itself that feels wrong. It feels like, it feels like the stillness before a winter storm. Cold, heavy and clouded and it stings like frost bite" she said. Cap watched her carefully. "Come 'ere, that horse will bite me if I go in" Cap called. Chyna went to the stall gate and looked up at Cap. He reached to a holster on his side and pulled something out.

"Hol' out your hands" he ordered. Chyna did as told and seconds latter a somewhat heavy object plopped in her cupped hands.

"Thats an Arkanas Toothpick, just bought it from my Uncle Lias. I don't supose you know what to do with it. But use it if you find trouble" Cap said. Chyna looked down at the slim long dagger in her hands. Her closed trembling fingers around it and slid it into her apron pocket before nodding at Cap.

"Thank you" she said Cap smiled a bit "you're lucks so darn bad, can't very well leave you unprotected anymore." He said, his smiled caused her to smile as well. Cap reached out and dusted straw bits out of her hair. "Hiddin in the stables with the meanest horse on the planet, she's as mad as all nature" Cap said with a chuckle as he opened the stall door and let Chyna out.

As Chyna exited the stall the horse nipped at her sleeve barely missing. Both Chyna and Cap gasped before quickly closing the door. They then glanced at each other and laughed lightly. "Tol' you!" Cap said.

"You found 'er" Ellison's voice called out. Cap and Chyna turned to greet him. "It's about time to head off across the river" Ellison said taking Chyna's hand and rubbing it tenderly. Cap's eyes dulled as he side glanced.

"Uncle Jim's looking for you Cap, Jonhse too they're fixing to head out" said Ellison.

Cap managed a grin and left the stables, taking one more glance back, clicking his tongue in annoyance as Ellison drew Chyna into a hug.

Chyna could hear Ellison steady heart beat through his chest and closed her eyes peacefully as he stroked her head. Suddenly he laughed softly, Chyna tilted her head to look at him but Ellison kept her head firmly in place. "Its nothing you want to see trust me....its a bit sad" Ellison murmured.

"What is?" Chyna asked.

Ellison was quiet for a moment. "I can't stand to see him around you like that" he finally spat out.

Chyna shook her head. "Like what?" She asked, Ellison sighed and his hands dropped down to her arms. Chyna looked up at him. "So, giddy like and so easy" Ellison said reluctantly, he brushed as his hair selfconsiously.

"Easy?" Chyna asked tilting her head he just wasn't making sense. She eyed him carefully to make sure he was feeling well. To this Ellison chuckled and ruffled her thick hair.

"I'm fine, easy like easy talking. Your words seem to jus' spill out with him." Ellison said.

"No more than with you or Cot, it's just me and Cap talkin" Chyna said with a shrug. Ellison peered down at her, his hand slipped carefully into her apron and as his fingers gripped the dagger and pulled it free from fabric, his eyes narrowed.

"This is jus' you an cap talking?" Ellison said slowly his eyes glued to the knife.

"Yes, I told him I had a bad feeling and didn't wanna go. Cap, knowing the McCoys would be there gave me this. Even though I told him it wasn't about them, that it was the day that felt ill he gave it to me anyway. Says my luck is bad an' he aint altogether wrong neither" Chyna said.

As she reached to take the Dagger from Ellison he moved quickly sliding it into his belt. "Wha-"

"You don't need it, I can protect you jus' fine" Ellison said sharply. Chyna pulled her head back and furrowed her brows at his strange behavior. At the same time her eyes wandered to the dagger resting on his hip, and slowly the mild bit of comfort she had been feeling as slipping away.

"And thats what I mean, why didn't ya tell me that? Why Cap?" He asked almost looking like a kicked puppy. Chyna smiled sheepishly "I wasn't planning on tellin nobody, I was hiddin in Red Barrel's stall trying to avoid having to go to the fair" Chyna admitted pointing to Red Barrel as she drank from her water trough.

"Cap, he just...it was like he knew exactly were I was and when asked why I was hiddin...having looked so silly all I could do was answer" Chyna said.

Ellison grabbed her hand and held it tight. "Well come on, you ain't got no call to worry none, lets go Cotton is waiting" He said turning and nearly dragging her behind him. Chyna watched his back in confusion, when a surging pang of deep dread hit her heart like a cannon ball. She gasped silently "lord, don't let this have meaning, please, please don't." She thought looking up at the sky as she climbed in the waggon next to Cotton.

Turning to look at his face, Cotton didn't look as excited about the fair as last time. In fact he looked about a bad as she was feeling on the inside. They glanced at each other with pitiful expressions while Ellison climbed on and took the reigns. "Come on Cot" Chyna whispered to him, patting his arm trying to give him and herself a boost. Cot nodded and laid his head on her shoulder as Ellison flicked the reigns and heaaded for the Tug.

The clouded sky was a stark contrast to the small but lively Election Day fair. Ellison hopped out of the waggon and eyed Cotton and Chyna who seemed glued to the boards.

Chyna closed her eyes and sighed heavily before rubbing Cottons back. She forced a smile "come on Cot, might as well try an' have fun while you can" she reasoned. He eyed her as if sensing that wasn't at all her feelings. So Chyna hopped out first and held out her hand to him. "I swear...i won't let nothin bad happen to you, come on Cot" she called out as Ellison was called away by Floyd. Cot cracked a smile and took her hand and jumped down. Chyna then followed behind him to some games. Her eyes locked on Ellison's her face clearly worried.

Ellison sighed and patted his coat were the dagger rested in his belt underneath.

Lively music was playing, and the smell of delicious foods filled the air along with laughter and chattering friends.

Chyna stood cross armed watching Cotton playing a bag toss game. Her face expressionless as she tried to contain the frown and trembling of her hands. The feeling as in full force, and laid down on her like the storm clouds on the mountain.

"Well I'll be I wasn't sure I'd ever see you again!" Nancy said with a girn. Chyna jumped a bit and turned her head, relaxing at the sight of Nancy. "Oh, Miss Nancy, y-you scared me" Chyna said with a timid smile. "Well I should say its payback for scarin' me senseless in Pikeville, with my bonehead cousins" she said playfully.

Nancy naturally came off as snarky, even since she was little, but she had a very sensative heart, that seemed to feel everything in it's trust form. Joy, sadness, hate, love and friendship. "I'm sorry about all of the mess I caused" Chyna said bowing her head. Nancy patted her on the shoulder. "Don't think nothing of it Chyna, I can't let those boys think women can just be pushed around light like...not even a colored one" Nancy said.

Chyna smiled softly "oh, miss Nancy, you's just like your Ma ain't ya. Spittin fire like rattle snake" she said. Nancy nodded with pride "an' e'rybody knows it" she said before grimacing "oh no" she sighed in annoyance, having spotted her brother, Jefferson, drunk as a skunk and dancing a top of their waggon. "I gotta go get my brother" Nancy hissed stomping off. Chyna giggled and watched her go before turning her eyes back to Cotton.

Cotton lead her to another game, darts. It was a bit harder than the games aimed at the kids. But Chyna wasn't going to tell him he ought not play. She stood much like last time and watched, until the man whom had played before cotton turned around, she hadn't noticed him from behind. But as he turned to face her with that uncomfortable smile...

"Calvin" Chyna greeted lowering her head to avoid eye contact. "I thought you'd be back there, when I saw Cotton Top..." he said nervously. "Um y-you aint gotta bow your head or nothin, I kinda forfieted my rights of thinking I'm better than you a long time ago" Calvin said laughing as if mocking himself.

Chyna lifted her head a little, he looked like he wanted to ask something as he took off his hat and wrung it in his hands. "I think I can forgive you." Chyna said. Calvin looked up stunned.

"I mean...it's kinda hard tellin Tolbert you don't wanna do what he tells ya to. And he's your older brother. You didn't never look like you wanted to be there anyhow when he is to..." Chyna trailed off and turned her head away. With the looming feeling she already had. She didn't want to rise those old memories on top of it.

"Thank you" Calvin said with a shaking voice. "Thank you, I didn't want to harm nobody" he said softly. "I was just curious, wasn't many niggers around and I always wanted to see one up close...but not like that." Calvin said he then smiled a bit. "You used to hang around Nancy so much when she was livin with us...It looked like fun, I mean you got her to laugh better than all of us could. Even with your Ma gone and how horrible Tolbert treated you...something about you felt happy. I guess all I ever wanted to be was your friend." Calvin confessed with a shrug.

"I jus didn't know how, specially after becoming your enemy" he added.

Chyna blinked and few time but soon smiled. "I can be a friend now" she said. "Even with me being a McCoy, you're livin on Hatfield land, Cap an' Ellison...they'd not be happy about it." He said. Chyna shook her head. "No I s'pose not, but Ellison's peaceful, he wouldn't mind it. Cap jus' don't like your brothers, I don't think he's got nothin against you" she said. Calvin smiled and nodded he looked at his hand before holding it out to her.

Chyna hesitated briefly but shook his hand as he beamed at her and placed his hat back on his head.

Meanwhile in the distance, from Johnse's whisky wagon, Cap leered at the two. Eyes seething under the shadow of his hat. "Robert E." He called absently. "You watch the rig" he called hopping down and striding over to them.

Calvin looked down uneasily and cleared his throat twice, Chyna turned around to offer Cap a smile but he gazed at Calvin with a almost bored expression.

"Chyna I think Uncle Ellison's looking for you an' Cotton Top" he said the sound of his voice just about as dry as the look on his face. "Right, come on Cotton! Your Pa's a lookin for you!" Chyna called. She eyed Cap. She was thankful that she wasn't the only one acting strange today, but it was becoming a bit concerning considering.

She waved goodbye to Calvin who returned it, a smile briefly fluttering on his face, but it left in seconds under Cap's sharpened gaze.

Chyna arrived at Ellison's side as he chuckled walking away from the food stand with a smile full of cheeky mischief. "You called?" Chyna asked him Cotton on her heels. Ellison looked at them confused but smiled nonetheless. "No, but I'm glad your here," Ellsion said leading them nearer to the waggon. Cotton plucked a fried tomato from Ellison's plate and munched he felt a bit better but it was still clear he wanted to go home "me and Chyna been playing games...almost all of them" he said the then cast bright pleading eyes up to his father "C-can we go home now?" He asked side glancing at Chyna who gave a tired sympathetic smile. She new he could still feel something looming as well.

"Oh come now Cotton, theres still lots to do, here. You an' me we'll go to the tug-o-war right?" He said. Cotton sighed but managed a smile and nodded. "Alright Pa" Cotton said. Ellison smiled pleased and picked up a shred of turky holding it up to Chyna's lips "I aint hungry" Chyna said looking at the food hovering before her mouth. "It was cooked wraped in bacon and tastes amazing, just a bite" Ellison said. Chyna's eyes darted around.

"I said nothin like this in public!" She scolded, Ellison flashed eyes about as sad as the ones Cotton had given him earlier. "That won't work" Chyna said quickly adverting her eyes. Ellison smiled with a bit of bitterness "would if work for my nephew?" He muttered quietly. Chyna looked down at the poltry and sighed before quickly leaning and taking it from his hands.

Ellison felt her lips brush lightly against his fingers and smiled. "It aint bad...so...tug-o-war right?" Chyna said her eyes scanning around did anyone see them?

As Chyna watche Ellison and Cotton play tug-o-war against Robert E. And Tom Skunkhair a hand wrapped around her arm "Hey come with me for a minute" Cap said with a smile. Chyna glanced back at Ellison and Cotton they both seemed ok for the moment, so she nodded and followed Cap taking one last look back to see Ellison smiling and laughing brightly.

"There you are" Jim almost sang as he saw Cap aproaching. But his friendly smile soon fell when he spotted Chyna. "Ey whats that blue gum doin here?" Jim said spitting out tabaco, it went to far it nearly hit Chyna's shoes. "Don't cause a fuss Uncle Jim, Ellison and Cotton was busy so I brough 'er along with me" Cap said smiling as if to ignore Jim's sudden foul disposition.

Cap and Jim looked towards a small crowd that had formed. Chyna followed their gaze. It was a shooting contest.

"Nicely done Squirl you show em!" She heard Paris call.

Chyna bit her lip, hopefully thats not where Cap and Jim were headed. "Come on" Cap called to Chyna.

His eyes glued to were Sam, Paris, Calvin and Jefferson McCoy cheered and bragged happily and in Jefferson's case drunkenly. Chyna followed behind Cap and Jim walking with fast feet behind them. "This contest still going?" Cap asked casually as he pushed through the small crowd.

Chyna watched him pull his riffle off his back and load it, shifting to look over the McCoy boys with a bored expression. "Not if you don't mind wasting a bullet" said the Judge of the contest, a round friendly looking man with a tall top hat and a bushy mustache. "I ain't wasted one yet" Cap said steping up a bit further. Chyna peeked around his body to look at the Target, a ring of circles with a large nail in the center. The wood it was made out of littered with bullets the closest shot being just a few inches away from the nail.

Chyna looked up at Cap, he's never been the best shot, he was ok. But it was well known across Virginia and Kentucky that Paris and Sam were near the best young shots around. More than that "what about his eye?" Chyna thought.

"How you gon' beat that, fog eye!" Jefferson mocked pointing at the nearest bullet hole. Cap watched the drunken man dully nearly rolling his eyes as he waited for Jefferson to step out of his way. When he did so Cap lifted his riffle, took aim and posistioned himself.

"Hey, hey! You're over the damn mark!" Paris called with a ill willed smile pointing at a long stick that had been covered by leaves. "The judge shoulda caught that" Paris chuckled taking a long swig of his flask. Chyna leered at him quietly, supressing the urge to speak out of turn, for now nobody was paying her any mind. Instead she reach out her hand and pressed the palm to the middle of Caps back and then pushed her finger tips off lightly while drawing her hand back. Giving him a small encouraging shove. "Ignore it, just do what you do best son" Jim advised Cap.

Cap nodded and got back into place, stepping back just a bit he lifted and alined his riffle with his line of site. "What he does is miss" Sam called out. Chyna clasped her hands together and exhaled at that same moment a shot rang out.

There was a sharp metalic sound and then the shattering of glass.

Chyna's eyes flew to the lanturn that was hanging near the target and then to Cap who slowly lowered his Riffle. He didn't look upset, but rather strangly cool about it all for having missed.

"Oh, Cap...you missed" Calvin called stepping up closer to Cap, who towered over him, with a mocking grin "completely!" He laughed. Cap looked down at Calvin still with that dull gaze. Chyna looked from Cap back to the target.

Jim sauntered past the both of them peering hard at the bullseye as he chomped down on his tobaco. "No he didn't" Jim said slowly. He pointed his finger "he hit the nail on the head" Jim said. Calvin's eyes darted from Cap to the target and back again several times.

The Judge walked to the target and rubbed his finger on the nail head. Which had been pushed further into the wood and slightly bent.

"Right on a dog gone head!" Jim cheered. Chyna looked up at Cap with wide eyes and an slightly open mouth. He glanced back at her and winked before placing on a smug smirk closing the distance between himself and Calvin. Purposely reminding him just how short he was and almost daring him to say another word.

"Naw, naw, naw, you seened where that went!" Calvin said pointing to the target while looking towards the judge who had returned. Calvin, Paris, and Sam all argued and shouted at Jim and Cap. Cap remained for the most part silent but shoved Sam back as he got a little to close. Sam bumped into the drunken Jefferson causing him to roll to the ground. Calvin seeing his cousin roll about to drunk to get up helped him to his feet. Soon yelling at Cap for knocking him down in the first place.

Chyna was starting to feel nervous as they got louder and louder. It would have been two against four and she didn't like those odds. The dark feeling begain to gain momentum again. Chyna reached out and grasped Cap's coat sleeve. Without looked at her and almost moving my instinct Cap backed away from the McCoyboy several steps closer to Chyna holing out a arm as if keeping her behind him. But Paris raged forward.

"Thats enough!" The judge roared out managed to step between the raging parties "this here is a shootin contest!" He called out. Cap smirked as Jefferson stumbled back again and tipped his hat "yep" he said mocking with a smile.

The crowd soon went their own ways and Chyna exhaled glad it was over. Cap turned to face her and smiled brightly winking at her again with his milky eye. "Show'd em" he said. Chyna blushed just a bit and smiled faintly "y-yeah 'spose you did...that was some real pumkins there though. Hittin the nail like that" Chyna said. Cap grinned so wide his eyes squinted a bit. "That wasn't nothin...I coulda shot it from farther than that" Cap boasted in a very calm way. Chya shook her head "you're mighty proud of yourself" she giggled.

Cap smiled more, she'd finally laughed. "Well...now more so than ever" he muttered in a quiet voice as he pat Chyna's head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.9K 176 83
Get ready to dive into the captivating story of teenage couples as they navigate the treacherous waters of high school and strive to make their relat...
24.7K 590 34
Landing on top of Robert she began to beat at his chest. "How dare you...you can't do this to me! You can't just show up when you feel like it and th...
135K 5.2K 60
**** COMPLETE **** This novel centers around Faith, a young black woman in her early 20s that's given up on the thought of love. That is until she fi...
11.2K 436 28
THIS IS THE SECOND BOOK IN THE GOOD AND THE BAD SERIES. IT IS NOT REQUIRED THAT YOU READ THE FIRST ONE BUT I RECOMMEND THAT YOU SHOULD. *** "I'm not...