Reign Of Gods (A SasuSaku AU)

By GraceOlives

"What am I to you, Sakura?" REIGN OF GODS A SasuSaku Story. Fantasy. Adventure. Romance. Rating: PG-13 More

I. Introducing
II. Meet The Culprit
III. Make It Up To Me
IV. Clouds
V. Interview
VI. The New Girl
VIII. Green And Gold
IX. Up, Up And Above
X. Love Triangle
XI. The Deadly Sin
XII. A New God
XIII. Circle Of Time
XIV. Love's Game
XV. The God Of Sex
XVI. Unanswered
XVII. Demigod
XVIII. Blue And Orange
XIX. Return Of The Fire God
XX. Glowing Things
XXI. Ahoy, Monsters!
XXII. A Dark Encounter
XXIII. Two Worlds
XXIV. The Temple Of Graces
XXV. Within
XXVI. The God Of Animals
XXVII. Quest For A Feather
XXVIII. A New Dawn
XXIX. Waves
XXX. Chains Of Heaven
Epilogue
Thank You

VII. The Dog-boy Issue

5K 239 306
By GraceOlives

Work is pretty much the same everyday. I've gotten used to having Sasuke around. Some would say I've also adapted to that irritating red-head, forever latched on his arm.

Its been a month since we've been working here. It isn't too bad, afterall.

I am trying to run a scan on the computer while ignoring the weird looks from my desk-mate.

"Sakura, can I ask you something?" Kiba nervously said while his coffee cooled on the table.

"Shoot," I tell him, looking up. At least he isn't staring anymore.

"I was thinking, this Saturday.. that.. you and I could.. attend the party together?"

All I could manage to say was an 'oh'. I wasn't expecting Kiba to ask me.

"Is it too late?" He questions.

I am confused. Have I been sending mixed signals to him or something?

"Umm.. Kiba.. will you.. let me think about it?" I awkwardly say.

His face drops. Then, it picks up again, with a grin.

"As long as the result is positive, why not?"

I sweatdropped.

An office party is coming up three days from now, for no reason other than, Alexis feels like partying. Yes, that is Mrs. Bellefleur's first name. She's weird. And on the verge of divorce - her husband's a letch. At least that's what Sasuke tells me.

Sasuke refuses to go. I don't think he understands that it isn't an actual choice. Not that it matters. God or not, I'm sure Karin will manage to drag him along. We haven't spoken much at work lately. He's mostly occupied and so am I. We haven't even had lunch together since a week. My eyes scan the crowd for him but, yet again today, I don't catch sight of him.

"Sakura, do these too," a voice I've come to dislike, orders. Karin dumped a stack of papers on my desk.

I quickly check the title on the topmost page and frown. "I haven't dealt with this even once. Are you sure its me who has to do this?"

"Of course. And get on it right away. The documents have to be ready by day after."

"That quickly!?"

"Quit complaining and get a move on."

I hate her.

"Remember. Day after," she warns. Then looking straight ahead, she brightens and calls, "Oh, Sasuke! Wait up!"
I quickly follow her line of sight but catch only a flash of black before he's gone.

A sigh escapes me. Why am I even looking for him?

Pulling the first page off the stack, I groan. A deadline of only a day later? The gods must surely hate me.

I skipped my coffee break today. Rather, I forgot to take one. I am probably going to be staying overtime. I quickly pull out my phone and dial Ino's number. She answers on the third ring.

"Hey, Ino, I was hoping you- was that noise Naruto? Are you guys out somewhere?"

"Ichiraku's. I didn't feel like cooking."

"Right. So, okay, Ino I'll have to pull overtime. Can you pick Sasuke up from work today?"

"Sure thing, Sak. You doing fine? You sound tired."

"I am. Its okay. Just some work stress."

"Okay.. Oh my God, forehead! You need to see Naruto's new trick!"

"What trick?"

"He can control dogs so well! No wonder he's the god of animals!"

"I gotta go, Ino. See you at dinner."

"Gosh, loosen up a little sometime, will ya? See you, forehead."

I do need a break. But, my desk says 'no'.

A steaming cup of coffee is put before me. I stop typing mid-way and look up to find Sasuke taking a seat beside me.

"That is for you," he points to the mug.

"Thanks," I smile. "You've been a stranger," I tell him.

"Karin has me doing some unimportant, completely fake work." He roll his eyes. Seems, I am rubbing off on him. Then he adds, "You missed your coffee break."

I tiredly point to my desk.

"That much huh?"

Its funny how Sasuke and I have grown out of the petty arguments to becoming actual friends. Sometimes, I even feel like he watches out for me a little. I'll admit, it feels good to see him at the office. Its pleasant. He is pleasant.

"I've called Ino. She'll pick you up today."

He frowns. "Why?"

I explain my situation.

"Day after?" He incredulously asks. "That's.."

I sip on the coffee. "I know. Mmm.. this is good. Thank you."

"I'll help," he offers.

He is so sweet sometimes.
I could use the help too. But, I can't ask him to stay. So, I shake my head and am about to refuse but, he didn't wait for it. Getting up from the chair, he tells me, "I will come by after my shift is done to assist you."

"Sasuke, that's really sweet but, you really don't-"

"Sakura.." There's the tone.

"Right. Okay. I'll call Ino then."

When he departs, I don't understand the wide smile on my face. I really don't.

At the end of shift, the employees packing up their stuff to head back make me envious. I really want to go home. I miss home. I don't just mean the place where I live. I want to go back to Konoha village, see my parents, take an off. Its been so long. I miss them.

Sasuke joins me soon and hands me a burger.

"Where'd you get that?" I ask, eyeing the bread.

He shrugged in response. "Some girl thought I might be hungry."

"Well, are you?" I ask before diving in.

"No."

Just as he was about to sit, another man joins us.

"Hey, Sakura. Not going home?" Kiba enquires, seeing my part of the desk scattered.

"Nah. Overtime today."

"No shit. Let me help."

"Its o-" I am cut off by Sasuke's response to the man, "I am helping her."

Kiba's eyes narrowed. "It isn't in your job description. I'd be better for her."

Sasuke glared at him. That.. is actually intimidating. He never glared at me like that.

"She picked me, dog-boy. Go home."

I held back a chuckle. Sasuke had told me that Kiba is a dog-lover and the owner of one - that he if he were allowed, he'd bring to work.

"Dog-boy? How did you-? That's not the point. Sakura is my colleague. I'll stay and help."

What is going on here?

"Sakura is my friend. You can go."

"I work alongside her. Daily."

"I live with her."

Silence.

"Well, she's my date to the party," Kiba holds his chin up as if in triumph.

What was that now? I have a feeling this isn't really a fight about who will help me.

Sasuke holds his silence for a bit before I interrupt their glaring contest that I know Kiba was rapidly losing.

"Its okay, Kiba. Sasuke will be going home with me anyway. Its better if he helps. Thanks for your concern."

"Alright. If that's what you want," he defeatedly says, then grabs his stuff.

Sasuke smirks. He sits only after Kiba leaves.
I quickly walk him through what I need. He is smart and efficient. I can't believe how easy it is to work with Sasuke.

He's been very quiet though. He must be tired. I feel guilty.
After some time, he puts the pen down and stretches. I try not to look.
I can feel his eyes on me now though.

"Sasuke?"

"Yes?"

"You're staring."

"My apologies." He returns to the work at hand.

A few minutes later, he again puts the pen down and turns toward me.
"Are you really going to this party with that dog-boy?"

I stop what I was doing and give him my full attention.
"Kiba," I correct him.

"Yes. Him. Are you his date?"

"He did ask me. But, I haven't agreed yet."

"Yet?" A dark eyebrow went up. "So, it is under consideration?"

"Maybe. I don't know. It'd be a little weird going with Kiba, don't you think?"

"I do not like him. Reject dog-boy," he sternly says. It feels more like an order.

"Reject's a harsh word. Kiba is a nice guy. Why don't you like him?" I frown.

"Because, he is not likable."

"Yes, he is. I like Kiba."

"Obviously," he comments.

Excuse me?

"What's that?" I question, keeping my tone in check.

"Do not take me for a fool. I can see what is going on."

I cross my arms. "And what is that?"

"You like dog-boy. Dog-boy likes you. Now you are going to a public event together, announcing it to everyone else."

I have the urge to strangle him. "You're making a big deal out of nothing. I don't like Kiba like that."

"I am enlarging things out of proportion? Why don't you ask dog-boy to keep his thoughts in check then?"

"Well-" I hold my sentence. Creasing my brows, I allow my confusion to show. "What are his thoughts?"

Sasuke looks away. "It doesn't matter. You are free to do as you wish. Go with dog-boy."

"Sasuke?" The argument is forgotten. "What are Kiba's thoughts?"

He remains stoic till I start poking his arm. Then, he sighs in defeat.
"They are nothing dirty. Dog-boy likes you. Romantically. He wishes to court you."

My eyes widen. "C-court me?"

"Yes. Buy you flowers and the like."

"Oh. Why don't you like him?"

"I just don't."

Back to being stoic, I see.

"That's not a real reason," I point out.

"Real enough for me," he concludes.

I put my hands up in surrender and we get back to work.
When I take a second to ease off on my fingers, my eyes fly to the clock.
"Shit!" My voice echoed in the office, since we're the only ones still here.

Sasuke's head shot up at my exclamation.

"The time," I explain myself.

The clock read 10.57 PM.

I quickly began saving data and packing up. Time had flown. And we've all been called in early tomorrow. Apparently, our boss wants to start early morning yoga at the office for everyone. Compulsorily. I am having second thoughts about liking this place.

The drive back home was quiet. When we reached, Ino and Naruto both were already asleep. My stomach makes a groan.

I quickly check the refrigerator for leftovers, only to be reminded that they both ate out today.

"Crap. No food. I'm starving."

"I need to eat too," says Sasuke, coming up behind me.

"Lets go."

"Where?"

"Out. I am too tired too cook."

"No ramen, please."

"Same here."

At the diner, till we wait for our orders, I take a swig of my beer and casually throw him a question.
"So, how about that 'cloud' issue of yours? Still have trouble reading my mind?"

I am glad about it actually. I really don't want Sasuke in my head. It would be so embarassing if he reads what I think.

Uh-oh. I must've hit a sensitive spot. He's stopped his sip halfway. I can see his brows furrowed in contemplation.
He puts his mug down.

Should I apologize for asking?

"Many times," he finally replies.

So there's still times when he can read my mind. Damn.

"Why?" I honestly want to know the reason behind the sudden clouding, not that I'd like it to change.

"I.. don't know." He's still deep in thought.

"Well, its for the best," I comment and take another swig.

He didn't hear that. He's like a statue meditating wrongly right now.

"Maybe I need to kiss you again," he says in an I-mean-it tone.

I choke on my beer.

"W-wha-at!?"

He looks up. Handing me a tissue and water, he rests his forearms on the table and waits for me to calm down.

When I do, I realize - to my horror - he is serious. It took me a whole week and then some, to get over it last time.

"That has to be the solution," he goes on, with utter disregard for my frown. "You have to have some sort of shield, causing the cloud I cast to revert. That's it! I just need to kiss you differently this time."

"Hold it, Uchiha. You can't kiss me." I raise a hand up.

"Why not?"

"Because, we're friends. And friends don't kiss." I can feel that same stupid blush creeping up on my cheek.

"But, we already kissed," he reasons, then calls for the man sitting on the next booth.

"Hey! You!" The man looks at us. "Yes?"

"That could count as offensive," I whisper to Sasuke.

"Tell me, is it okay to kiss a friend?"

The man stares at me for a good ten seconds. Then, he grins.
"Yeah. If your 'friend' looks like that, I suggest you do much more than 'kiss' her."

Bloody bastard.

"Pervert," Sasuke snickers at him then turns to me.

"No," I straightaway tell him. "We aren't that kind of friends."

Sasuke's head snaps to the guy still staring at me. I don't need him to translate that guy's thoughts. I can see the perverted look on him.

The food is placed before us. Sasuke pays no heed. He is glaring at the perv, hard enough to make him shrink. The man gets up - wow, he is big - then quickly rushes away.

I sigh in relief. Before I could speak though, he asks for the food to be parcelled.

"Sasuke, what-?"

"Just watch," he tells me.

Within 5 minutes, a group of guys, all as big as the perv, arrive outside the diner. This is not looking good. Sasuke is just one man. The guy from the diner walks forth from among them and glares directly at my partner.

"Sasuke," I put a hand over his. "We should go."

"Stay here," he commands and gets up.

Is he serious? No fucking way can he take them on. I immediately grab his hand and give him a pleading look.

His eyebrows crease. "Don't be childish, Sakura."

"Are you insane? They are seven full men!"

"And I am a god. Stay here," he removes my hand off his wrist as if it took nothing - it probably didn't, but that's not the point - and began walking away.

I quickly get up. "Don't be stupid, Sasuke! You can't take them on! I know you have some childish notion that you're a god but, you're not! Snap out of it!"

He stares at me, betraying no emotion if my words affected him at all.

"I don't want you getting hurt," I murmur honestly.

He still says nothing.

Then, he walks. "You are being annoying, Sakura. Stay here."

I run after him but, he locks me in. I can only watch the confrontation through the glass.

And I become witness to the strangest skirmish ever seen.

◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽◽

Sorry about all the errors you may have found guys. I haven't reproofed it.

Please let me know what you think though :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

348K 5.4K 26
A new era has just begun, a peaceful life has finally been achieved. Whereas a confession is still unresolved. There may be jealousy running through...
81.9K 3.3K 54
31 days at a beach resort as a field trip?! Hell ya! But even outside of school drama can happen anywhere. Instead of a month in paradise, more like...
25.4K 845 10
t's the day after the events of "Naruto:The Last" and Naruto is preparing for his first date with Hinata. But in the process, Sakura leaks that, yeah...
73.2K 1.8K 21
A series of sasuhina short stories.