Harry Potter and the Unlikely...

By startrek007

a diffrent version on 6th year. new powers and all that More

new story
Chapter 1: How to Cope
Chapter 3: Sweets and Squibs
Chapter 4: Back at Headquarters
Chapter 5: The Vault
Chapter 6: New Members
Chapter 7: A New Family
Chapter 8: A Lovely Birthday
Chapter 9: OWLS
Chapter 10: Hiding Our Feelings
Chapter 11: The Malfoy Scheme
Chapter 12: Tonks Surprise
Chapter 13: Prefects
Chapter 14: Secrets Revealed
Chapter 15: Secret Admirer
Chapter 16: Growing Powers

Chapter 2: Surprise Visitors

3.8K 95 21
By startrek007

Chapter 2: Surprise Visitors

The next morning Harry woke up feeling fully rested. When he remembered the Dursleys would be gone all day he smiled for the first time since Sirius' death. "Time to start living again," he told himself, "and what a better day to do it then when the Dursleys are gone out!" Harry got dressed and went downstairs for breakfast. He hadn't seen his massive cousin Dudley in a while and thought he might enjoy teasing him a bit before they left.

"Now listen here boy," Uncle Vernon started after breakfast, "you keep your tongue around Mrs. Figg; we don't want the neighbors knowing about your abnormality."

"Yes sir," Harry said falsely sweet, "But I'm not sure Mad-Eye would appreciate me being a wizard being called and abnormality." He loved how they all flinched at the word wizard and paled when he mentioned Mad-Eye as they rushed to leave the table and get to Marge's house.

It wasn't long after the Dursleys left that the doorbell chimed and Harry opened the door to find Mrs. Figg and she had Remus Lupin, Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger with her! "Harry!" Hermione screeched wrapping him in a tight hug.

"Wow, this is great. Its great to see you guys!" Harry said letting them into the house. He had thought the day would go well, but he never imagined his best friends would show up at his door to make it fantastic.

"The Dursleys treating you well Harry?" Remus Lupin, friend to Harry's parents asked him. Harry nodded his consent before asking the most obvious question. "What are you all doing here? I mean I'm glad to see you and all, but how did you know to come today?"

"I owled them as soon as Vernon asked me to watch you. I thought since you can't go outside you should at least be allowed some company." Mrs. Figg said.

"Thank you, I was afraid I would have to go the whole summer without seeing you guys!" Harry said as Ron and Hermione grinned at him. The three went up to his bedroom. "It's kind of messy, but here it is." Harry said as they went in. "At least it's better than the cupboard under the stairs!"

Harry and Ron sat on his bed while Hermione sat in his desk chair. "I was wondering why I hadn't gotten a letter in a few days, now I know" Harry said happily.

"Yeah, we were so excited about coming that we didn't want to write and spoil the surprise. The look on your face when you opened the door was priceless!" Ron sniggered.

"How are you doing Harry?" Hermione asked trying not to show worry in her voice. Harry's letters had been very short and she knew he must be hurting.

"I'm doing much better. I finally decided that I wasn't totally at fault for what happened and that I needed to start living again." Harry said. "I miss him so much sometimes though, it's still very hard." He said on the verge of tears. Ron put his hand on Harry's shoulder to show he cared. Hermione tried not to cry herself as she said" You know we are here for you if you need anything."

"Thanks 'Moine, but I think I'll be ok with time. Besides, I have a lot to focus on this year coming year. I want to start up the D.A. again as soon as we get back to Hogwarts." Harry told them, he wasn't ready to tell them about the prophecy yet. He knew Ron would flip out and Hermione would cry hysterically. He just wanted to enjoy his friends company for a while without the prophecy hanging over all of them.

"That sounds like a good idea Harry, "Hermione answered, "We all should be at the top of abilities with the war that we know is going to be starting."

"And now that Umbridge is gone, we won't have to sneak around as much!" Ron pointed out, smiling that they were freed of the worst teacher Hogwarts ever had. She made Professor Snape seem sweet and cuddly!

"Oh, that reminds me, there was an article in this morning's Daily Prophet saying that all educational decrees made last year have been rescinded! "Hermione told them, "It says a ministry inquiry has been requested by Hogwarts board of governors wanting an investigation into how the decrees were placed into effect in the first place."

"Yeah, Dad said Fudge is getting a lot of criticism, especially now that everyone knows you were telling the truth about Volâ Volâ Voldemort." Ron said. Harry smiled that Ron was finally trying to say Voldemort's name.

"I wouldn't be surprised if the public calls for a new minister of magic. If he had listened in the beginning then maybe" Hermione trailed off.

"Maybe Sirius wouldn't have died." Harry finished, and when he saw Hermione's horrified expression he continued, "But maybe now we'll be able to get someone who will do good for the magic community, not just for himself. Besides, I'm not sure it wouldn't have happened anyway. Voldemort enjoys killing those that I love." Harry said looking down.

"Oi, Harry, with Umbridge gone you'll be able to play Quidditch again!" Ron yelled out unexpectedly.

"Ron!" Hermione scolded, "Don't you ever think about anything other than Quidditch?" as she shook her head, but she was thankful for the change of subject.

"What about Ginny? Won't she want to stay on as seeker, she was pretty good." Harry said bummed, he loved Quidditch but he wouldn't take the spot from Ginny.

"No, Ginny wants to try for chaser; she said so at the end of last year. So you can take your spot back and Ginny can stay on the team!" Hermione joined in, it was so like Harry to worry about other before himself.

"Excellent!" Harry said feeling happy for the first time in a long time. "Wow, it's great to see you guys!" He couldn't believe how great his day was turning out; the Dursleys gone for a day and his friends coming to visit.

"Harry, Ron, Hermione, lunch is ready!" Lupin yelled up the stairs. The trio went downstairs to see a table full of food.

"Wow, this look great," Harry said, "Dudley is still on his diet and I don't get anything good to eat."

"Well, I love cooking and I don't get to cook for such a large crowd very often." Mrs. Figg said as they all sat down and began to eat.

"Arabella this food is fantastic. "Lupin said as they ate, stuffing themselves with the food.

"Yeah, you should open a restaurant!" Ron said, "I thought my mum was a good cook, but this is fantastic!" Mrs. Figg blushed and looked down at her plate.

"Well I used to be a cook before I moved here to" she paused, "to retire."

"You mean before you moved here to watch over me and keep an eye on the muggles." Harry said as Lupin and Mrs. Figg looked stunned. "I figured it out as soon as I found out you were a squib" Harry told her with a smile. "I'm sorry you had to give up job." Harry told her thinking that here was another person whose life was messed up thanks to Voldemort.

"Now Harry, I was only a cook in a very bad muggle diner, nothing special. I had fun watching you grow up, especially since your powers surfaced. It was fun to watch your magic grow." Mrs. Figg said.

"So how had the summer been treating you Harry? Are you doing alright?" Lupin asked as lunch ended.

"Yeah, I'll be alright, it will just take time." Harry told him, "how are you doing, he was your friend too."

"It's tough Harry, some days are harder than others, but I'll be fine. We'll get through this together Harry," Remus said giving him a hug, "We're the only Marauder's left to carry on the tradition!" Remus was the only real Marauder left, but Harry made him feel that James was close by.

"The map was very useful last year trying to bypass Umbridge and all her rules," Harry told him.

"This year will be much better I hope, at least it can't get any worse!" Hermione said shocking the others; she was never on to say anything bad about school.

"I think you two are being a bad influence on her, "Lupin joked to Ron and Harry, "when I was teaching Hermione never would have admitted to disliking something at school, well except for Draco Malfoy."

"Ha! Bet he's not so smug now that his Death Eater daddy dearest got tossed in Azkaban!" Harry said, the feeling of slight retribution from knowing he was partially responsible swelled inside him. "Now we just need to get the rest of these evil wizards in there and the Dementors out!"

"Why do they continue to let the Dementors control Azkaban when they know they will join Voldemort?" Hermione asked the adults, "It doesn't make any sense!"

"The order is wondering the same thing; now that the public knows he is back they should have immediately seized control back. Fudge just won't budge on the subject." Lupin sighed.

"Maybe Fudge is under the imperius curse and is working for the Death Eaters!" Ron piped up, always the one to jump straight to conspiracies.

"I read the ministry is short magical law enforcement personnel as well as Aurors, when Voldemort disappeared Fudge had the personnel cut back believing they would never need full 'wartime' strength again." Hermione added.

"That is true, they are training quite a few new magical law enforcement officers as well as Hit Wizards, but you can't just hurry and train an Auror." Lupin told them," Fudge just played right into Voldemort's hands."

"Hey, he might be under the Death Eater's influence, all this seems too much coincidence. I'm just saying the order should keep a closer eye on our 'beloved' minister." Ron added.

"I'll make sure to pass along your concerns to the order Ron. You're right; it never hurts to be careful." Lupin told him.

"Speaking of careful," Harry started, "My uncle was making such a fuss this morning making sure that I'm careful not to show off my 'abnormality' to Mrs. Figg." Harry laughed, "Oh what I wouldn't give to see his face if he found out that you knew what I was!"

"I bet his head would explode and your aunt would faint with fright that the other neighbors would find out!" Ron added laughing.

"Yes, but that wouldn't be safe for Harry, we don't want them locking him up under the stairs when they go out instead of letting him stay with me." Mrs. Figg said.

"They wouldn't dare, they are terrified that Mad-Eye is going to show up and do something 'unnatural' to their poor Duddikins!" Harry laughed.

"Oh, speaking of unnatural Harry," Ron said handing him a bag from inside his coat, "Sweets courtesy of Fred and George!"

"Now Harry, don't go feeding your cousin any of those!" Hermione scolded seeing the plan forming in Harry's mind. "I know he was horrible to you when you were younger, but you are a better person than he is, don't sink to his level." She finished sounding just like Ron's mum.

"Oi, Hermione, don't go spoiling the only fun he's going to have!" Ron exclaimed.

"Yeah, it's the only way I can torture him with magic without being in trouble from the ministry!" Harry added, "Besides the canary creams are harmless, they wear off very fast."

"Come on now Harry," Lupin said trying to hid his smile; Harry looked just like James when he was plotting a prank. "Oh, who am I kidding, I could never talk your dad out of anything, so why would I think you'd be any different." Lupin chuckled.

"But Professor!" Hermione started to protest.

"You can call me Remus; I'm no longer your professor Hermione." Lupin laughed. "Besides, if Harry's cousin was to 'accidentally' come across one of Harry's candies how anyone could blame Harry for his cousin not being able to control his sweet tooth."

"Yes!" Ron yelled, "I knew you were a real Marauder just masquerading as a professor! You were just too cool to be a real teacher"

"Yeah, I hope we have a good instructor this year. I really need to learn Defense this year; we all do since Voldemort is back. But either way, I'm starting the D.A. again as soon as school starts." Harry told them all.

"I think that's a great idea Harry. I'm glad to see you are thinking about teaching the D.A. again." Lupin smiled, "In fact, I was hoping you were going to say that, so here you go." He said taking a very tiny package from his pocket and placing it on the table. He took out his wand and did an enlargement charm on it. "These are three books I thought would come in handy for D.A. I thought they might give you some interesting reading over the summer."

"Wow," Harry said, "Thanks, these are great." He told him rising from the table and giving Remus a hug. "I'm lucky to have friends like you, 2 presents in one day and it's not even my birthday! Today is turning out to be a great day!"

"Time for tea!" Mrs. Figg said standing and gathering the tea and biscuits. "I hope you like the biscuits Harry; I know you haven't had any yet this summer."

"Thanks," they all said reaching for tea, chattering about the happenings in the wizarding world while drinking.

"Tea leaves" Harry mumbled, "I wonder who will be teaching divination this year? I hate having my death predicted every five minutes!"

"Let me read your tea leaves Harry," Lupin said taking Harry's cup, "I see a nice long life in a peaceful world with a family and kids." He said handing the cup back to Harry.

"Thanks, that's the nicest reading I've ever had." Harry laughed, but appreciated Lupin's faith in him. He knew about the prophesy and though Harry would be victorious.

"You should just drop that stupid class Harry, it can't teach you anything unless you are a true seer and we both know you just make up stuff in that class." Hermione told him.

"You're probably right, but I don't want to pick up muggle studies or arithmancy so I'll just endure the torture. At least if Firenze keeps teaching he won't predict my death all the time." Harry told her.

They sat at the table discussing what was happening in each others lives. Mrs. Figg had adopted 2 more cats, Hermione's parents had received some sort of dental award (they were muggle dentists), and Ron's dad was getting a lot more respect at work with Malfoy being gone and Fudge admitting that Voldemort is back. Fred and George's shop was doing very well.

"Mum is actually proud of Fred and George." Ron said, "Once she realized how much money could be made, it helped. Plus they are helping the ministry develop covert spy ware." Ron laughed, "Or at least they gave the ministry a bunch of extendable ears and are trying to figure out how you guys made the Marauder's map."

"We never told them it was you and dad and Sirius." Harry told Lupin, "Maybe you could help them out a little bit, even though it is nice having the only one. I feel like it's our secret, the Marauders and now Ron, Hermione's and mine." Harry added.

"If you three had a nickname your little 'group' would probably have broken as many rules as we did!" Lupin laughed. "Except you three don't break the law and never go looking to break the rule, adventures seem to find you!"

"Yeah, who would have thought a group of first years were the only ones brave and clever enough to try and protect the sorcerer's stone!" Ron laughed, "We were so naive we didn't even stop to think what would happen."

"We have had some interesting adventures," Harry added, "The incident with the time turner is still the weirdest thing I've ever done, I don't know how you did it all year Hermione!"

"I don't know how I managed it all either," Hermione laughed, "That stupid hourglass caused me so many headaches."

"That day you stormed out of Divination was priceless, and then you went and slapped Malfoy. I've never been so proud to be your friend." Ron told her blushing.

"I know you three can handle yourselves, but be careful this year." Lupin told them, "Be even more careful who you trust with your secrets." Lupin said thinking off all the problems that Wormtail caused them. "I know the three of you are inseparable, but be careful."

"And be careful around the children of the Death Eaters as well. Most of them are well on their way to joining the Dark Lord themselves." Mrs. Figg added.

"I'll have to be even more on guard around Malfoy. He hated me before and now I went and got his dad thrown in Azkaban!" Harry commented.

"This should be a very interesting school year for you three. I have a feeling some old alliances will falter and some new ones will be made." Lupin said.

"Oh, don't go all Trelawney on us!" Harry joked, "But seriously, I think you're right. This is the time when everyone will be choosing sides; we may even have Gryffindors who go over to the side of evil."

"But maybe by having you there as a reminder that Voldemort is not all powerful, we can turn some of those who are on the edge over to our side." Hermione added, "I'm sure Dumbledore will do all he can to keep his students from joining Voldemort."

"Oh dear!" Mrs. Figg exclaimed, "Look at the time, we better clean up and get you three out of here before Harry's relatives come home!"

Once the house was 'spotless' again, they all headed for the door. "Thanks for bringing my friends with you Mrs. Figg." Harry told her.

"It was my pleasure dear; just remember to make it sound as if you had a horrible time to keep your uncle happy." She told him, stepping aside so he could say good bye to everyone else.

"Thanks for the books," Harry told Remus giving him a hug. "Try and see if I can go to the Burrow or someplace before the summer is out. I don't want to stay here if I don't have to."

"I'll see what I can do, but the only place they are going to let you go is headquarters. Do you think you're up to going back there?" Remus asked wondering if he was strong enough to go back to the house Sirius lived at.

"As long as you are there and the Weasleys and Hermione, I know I'll be ok. It will be very hard, but I'll have to go there someday, so there is no use putting it off." Harry said putting on a brave face as he went to say goodbye to his best friends.

"Tell Fred and George thanks for the sweets," Harry told Ron. "It was great seeing you guys; write me when you get you OWLs!" He gave Ron a short hug and then Hermione buried her head in his chest in a tight hug.

"You know we are here for you if you need anything Harry," she said, "owl us if you need to." She hugged him again before heading out the door with Ron and Remus.

"We'll just floo from your place Arabella, thanks for everything." Remus told Mrs. Figg as they left.

"Thanks again Mrs. Figg," Harry told her once the other three were gone, "I didn't realize how much I needed to see them until they showed up."

"You are very welcome Harry, now I am going to set up my knitting in the parlor and you should probably be in your room when they return." She told him, "I hate how they treat you, but I don't want them to guess I have any ties to the magical community."

"I understand, they hate me for what I am as it is, I don't want them to hate and snub you too." Harry said going up to his bedroom to read his new books. The first book he picked up was called '5,000 Ways to Defend Yourself from Unfriendly Spells.' Harry hadn't even finished the introduction of the book before he heard the Dursleys' car pull in. It was a good thing his friends left when they did!

Harry stayed up very late reading his book. There were all sorts of defensive spells and protective charms to guard entire rooms or groups of people. There was an entire chapter on the Fidelius Charm, Harry was amazed at how much it took to become a secret keeper. His favorite chapter was the one on Patronus', even though he knew the spell it was interesting to read about how you patronus forms from memories of times when you felt safe and secure. It made Harry sure that he felt safe and happy with his parents before they died, if he hadn't he wouldn't have his father's animagus form as his patronus.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.1K 692 80
In which Kim Saena is in a groupchat with a bunch of idiots Or In which Bangchan finds himself inside a groupchat with a bunch of delusional fans ~~★...
47.4K 2.7K 65
When shrivi goes home after a long time. Who doesn't have her parents' love and family's love for some reason. She had support from her grandmother...
26.8K 1.9K 48
𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝟐𝐧𝐝 𝐛𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐨𝐟 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐫𝐭 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 𝐚𝐛𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐯𝐢𝐚 𝐫𝐨𝐝𝐫𝐢𝐠𝐨 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐲/𝐧'𝐬 𝐦𝐞𝐞𝐭-𝐜𝐮𝐭𝐞𝐬/𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐫𝐢�...