Every Second [COMPLETED]

By joymoment

"Honestly one of the best books I've read" - mywayforme "I'll take it from here," Sebastian said. "Ms. Dawson... More

Dang! Check out that cast!
OH NO! 😱 Author's Note! Run for it!
Chapter 1 - "Well, it's about time!"
Chapter 2 - "The last album failed."
Chapter 3 - "Is this even real?"
Chapter 4 - "I would look terrible with facial hair."
Chapter 5 - "I'm a cat lady!"
Chapter 6 - "Your parents must be really proud."
Chapter 7 - "Hey troublemaker."
Chapter 8 - "Sebastian is not here."
Chapter 9 - "Who is this fool?"
Chapter 10 - "I'm off to face my death."
Chapter 11 - "I believe in you and I'll wear ear plugs."
Chapter 12 - "Can I ask you a question?"
Chapter 13 - "He still has a girlfriend."
Chapter 14 - "You two are a bit too dramatic."
Chapter 15 - "I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Lennon Kayhill."
Chapter 16 - "What happened?"
Chapter 17 - "Do you want to throw on a shirt and we can get working?"
Chapter 18 - "You done?"
Chapter 19 - "Sebastian-"
Chapter 20 - "It's a long story."
Chapter 21 - "Would it help if I ran at you?"
Chapter 22 - "I've decided my only option is to go mad."
Chapter 23 - "How'd you escape?"
Chapter 24 - "I don't know why. Maybe it was my fault."
Chapter 25 - "You're forcing our friendship?"
Chapter 26 - "Hey Farewell!"
Chapter 27 - "And welcome home, I guess."
Chapter 28 - "How many girlfriends have you had?"
Chapter 29 - "Aims, I'll take your company in whatever form I can have it."
Chapter 30 - "I just forgot that, he's Sebastian Colfax."
Chapter 31 - "I didn't want to look too eager."
Chapter 32 - "Show offs."
Chapter 33 - "Say something."
Chapter 34 - "I did the right thing?"
Chapter 35 - "Dance with me."
Chapter 37 - "Aims, I don't want you to get hurt."
Chapter 38 - "I never wanted this!"
Chapter 39 - "I can't! You don't understand. I can't do this!"
Chapter 40 - "I wouldn't bail."
Chapter 41 - "What are you doing here?"
Chapter 42 - "Five months isn't that long."
Chapter 43 - "Priorities change."
Chapter 44 - "I miss you, Aims."
Chapter 45 - "I actually don't believe you."
Chapter 46 - "Don't forget me."
Chapter 47 - "Only forty days left until I see you again."
Chapter 48 - "Was it worth waiting five months?"
Chapter 49 - "Aims. I have a confession to make."
Epilogue
An Honest Thank You!
When Amelia Met Will (Deleted Scene)
Amelia's Final Work Day with Sebastian (Deleted Scene)
Amelia meeting Charlie in D.C. over tour (Deleted Scene)

Chapter 36 - "Smooth. I give it a ten out of ten for tact."

51.5K 2.8K 1.7K
By joymoment

The doorman nodded as Sebastian and Amelia passed through the sliding doors, the next morning. Purring gently outside on the drive was a convertible silver sports car. Sebastian stepped up to it, pulling open the passenger door for Amelia.

"Your cars travel with you?" Amelia asked.

"My cars don't travel with me, this is our's for the day though. What's the point of taking a drive up the coast if you're not in a convertible?" Sebastian mused.

Pulling on his sunglasses, Sebastian smiled at her, then put the car in gear and pulled out into the traffic of the city.

When the sports car broke free of the city's clutches, it happily took to the new freedom with greater speed and a louder roar of delight. Wind whipped over the top of the windshield. The ocean spread out to their left, the morning sun turning the undulating waves a white gold in its light.

On the pretense of staring at the water, Amelia looked to Sebastian's side. The wind made his hair mimic the ocean, ripples of waves passing though it. He could be just a normal guy in his faded blue t-shirt and red cotton shorts. His glance darted to her and Amelia stiffened, wondering how long she had been staring at him.

"What are you thinking over there Aims? Or has the sight stolen away your thoughts?" Sebastian asked, the corners of his mouth inching upwards.

"I was admiring the ocean," Amelia said, evenly.

"I never said you weren't."

Amelia's cheeks flushed and Sebastian's laugh burst from his lips.

"You think you're so good looking, don't you?" she asked.

"No, not all the time. But when you stare at me for over fifteen minutes, a man starts to wonder," Sebastian teased.

"I was not staring at you, the ocean just happens to be on your side."

"Agreed. But we also passed through a brief town in that time where the view of the ocean was slightly obstructed and you still kept looking."

"I'm not admitting anything."

"Don't worry Aims, you're secrets safe with me."

He glanced over at her. Shaking her head, she laughed, his smile taunting and playful.

"What did Jones think of you going off by yourself today?"

"Jones is behind us, in the black SUV. Being away from LA, I'm less likely to be spotted but I'm not stupid to think that if I was it would go well. I've had enough instances to teach me to think better."

Amelia glanced back, spotting the black car and Sebastian's bodyguard behind the wheel.

"That's good at least," Amelia said, turning back. "When it comes to defending you from crazed fans, I'm next to useless. I could whack away at them with my drum sticks, but really how long would that last against rabid girls."

"Good to know. I appreciate you sacrificing your drum sticks for me. Not many would."

"I figure I can always buy new drum sticks. It's harder to come by another one of you. Besides, I kind of like you. Who knows what the next version would be like?"

"Very true. He might be good looking, then where would I be?" Sebastian said, his tone one of mocking seriousness.

"Surrounded by too many girls who are trying to steal my man."

"Ah, so thats why you chose me. I lack good looks and so its easier to keep me around."

"I hate to admit it, but yes. I'm sorry, the truth hurts."

"So I'm your man then?"

Amelia opened to her mouth to respond, suddenly unsure how to. Sebastian laughed at her expression.

"You're probably the only girl who would be stumped by a question like that. Don't worry, I don't need an answer." He flashed her a bright smile. "Not now anyways, we still have an hour and half left before we arrive."

Amelia blushed and crossed her arms.

"Where are we going anyways?" she asked.

"Santa Barbara, there's this restaurant where I had the best omelet ever. I figured why not."

Amelia laughed at the ease in which he announced they were driving two hours just for a good omelet. Spotting his phone sitting by the speakers, Amelia picked it up and plugged it in.

"Lets see what Sebastian Colfax listens to, shall we?" She looked at him. "Do you mind?"

He shook his head. "It's 1023."

Amelia typed in the password.

"Aftermath, isn't bad. B Girls. I will just pretend your sister forced you to put them on here. The Beatles, Beach Boys, a classic, Fading Relics are fantastic. Please tell you I'm not seeing what I'm seeing. How can you possibly have Ari Raider on here. Her songs are completely cotton candy pop!"

"They are good songs to work out to. Don't judge my music."

She gave him a disappointed look.

"Who else? Frank Sentra, Danny DaSilva, what a loyal friend you are. What Is Harmony, not a bad duo. Lennon Kayhill." Amelia raised her head. "Isn't that the lead singer of Hey Farewell's girlfriend?"

"Yeah, her album is amazing, cohesive, well put together and heart breaking. I like it a lot, the song Runaway is my favorite."

"Interesting. Hey Farewell, Josh Stone, Kicking Jimmy, a little too boy band for my taste, and of course you have Kenny G, I should have known. Who are you?"

"Don't knock Kenny G. He's the best thing I listen to when I need to clear my head."

She pressed play on the album and let the soft jazzy notes of the saxophone sing through the speakers. The music swelled and poured over them, snatching away thoughts of conversation.

"Good morning miss," the valet attendant said, opening Amelia's door.

She thanked him and pulled her satchel over her head, as Sebastian appeared by her side.

"This better be the best omelet ever," Amelia joked, as her sleepy foot resisted its wake up call.

Sebastian just smiled at her and pulled open the heavy glass door.

"Welcome back Mr. Colfax, I have your table ready for you," the hostess said.

As they followed behind the woman, Amelia leaned close to Sebastian.

"How many times have you been here?" she asked.

"A couple, but I called and made a reservation for this morning, so they were expecting me."

"Ah."

They passed through a set of sliding glass doors and the ocean rushed to meet them, the salty scent of it wafting through the air. Sebastian helped Amelia in to her chair. The hostess started to hand them menus, but Sebastian raised his hand.

"Actually we'll have two mushroom, avocado omelets and two glasses of orange juice," Sebastian said, sitting opposite her.

The hostess nodded and moved away. Amelia watched the water curling and uncurling on itself, the white foam growing then shattering into a million pieces on the darkened sand. Sea gulls swooped over head, their wings like large white sails.

"Aims?"

She broke her gaze to look at Sebastian.

"Did you ask me something?" she asked.

He nodded. "I asked if you like it here?"

"Yes, its beautiful. I mean, I've been to Long Island before and a couple places in England, but this is just amazing."

"Glad I made the right choice then."

"Pretty proud of yourself aren't you?"

He shrugged, but his smile betrayed him.

"Well you should be, this isn't something I will likely forget for a very long time to come. Thank you, Bash," Amelia said, softly.

"Of course, Aims."

A waiter appeared at their table, and set two glasses of orange juice down in front of them and left. Sebastian reached over and grabbed his, raising it between them.

"How about a toast?" he asked.

"What are we toasting to?"

"A great day, with you," Sebastian said, easily.

Smiling, Amelia accepted the toast.

"Favorite spot?" Amelia asked.

"The family room in the house I bought for my mother in Indiana. You?"

"My apartment with Charlie. Favorite place you've traveled to?"

"Paris, or Venice at 5 in the morning. You?"

"I see you're a romantic, should have known that," Amelia teased.

"Answer the question."

"Fine. Paris as well, but at night."

"Favorite song?" Sebastian asked.

A thousand songs poured into Amelia's thoughts bouncing against each other, vying for her attention.

"That's probably the most impossible question I have ever been asked but I will attempt to answer it. It's a close toss up between Dreams by The Cranberries because of the memories it holds. Or Heaven Help Us by Hey Farewell, it's brilliant. Or Stolen Hopes by Davis Floyd because the drums are pure magic. Your's?"

"Alright, it has to be Capture My Soul by Hey Farewell." Amelia nodded in approval. Then Sebastian's grin went devilish. "Or The Fast Track by Ari Raider."

"You can't be serious?"

"I like that song."

"Bash, it's the epitome of cotton candy pop. There is no substance to that song whatsoever. The words are stupid and nonsensical," Amelia argued.

Sebastian shrugged uncaring.

"I like it, its fun to dance to. Aims, are you're telling me if that song came on the radio or other place, you wouldn't dance to it?"

"It's stupid."

"Ha! But you didn't say you didn't like it," Sebastian said, grinning like a triumphant idiot.

"You're playing with me, aren't you? You can't honestly like it? Please tell me you don't."

Sebastian just gave her a smug grin in response and she sighed dejectedly.

"How could I ever have fallen for someone who has such terrible taste in music!" Amelia said, leaning her head back dramatically.

When she lifted her head Sebastian was staring at her with a steady questioning gaze. Amelia was struck by what she had said. The words hung heavy in the air. She leaned forward.

"You know what I mean, I can't believe that I know someone, like you who would listen to someone like that, because you know, just as a musician I would expect you to have better taste in music," Amelia said, her words coming out choppy and disjointed.

Sebastian leaned contentedly back in his chair, his smile mocking. Amelia buried her head in her hands.

"Please stop smiling," she moaned.

"Don't worry, I think it cute when you stammer."

Dropping her hands away, she met Sebastian's wide grin with a glare. A waiter appeared by them, releasing Amelia from any obligation of having to come up with the correct response.

"I apologize for the delay, enjoy. Is there anything else I can get for you?" the waiter asked.

"No, thank you." Sebastian said.

"This looks amazing." Amelia said, eager to move the conversation way from the previous comments.

Sebastian smiled and nodded. "It is."

Their attention fell to their food and their topics of conversation stayed in the shallow waters. By the time the last bite was taken, Amelia's words had drifted away with the tide.

*************

A baseball cap and sunglasses overshadowed Sebastian's face as they meander down Santa Barbara's main street. They were passing an opening between the buildings when Sebastian took Amelia's hand. His fingers interlocked with her's, on the pretense of pulling her towards the water and the pier. Once on the stretch of pavement by the water, he didn't let go, his hold steady and warm.

"Smooth. I give it a ten out of ten for tact," Amelia teased.

Sebastian laughed good-naturedly.

"It should get that score. It's taken me the last twenty minutes to figure out how to do it. I'm glad to know it was a success."

"My hand is in your's, I'm pretty sure that's a success."

"True, but are you the kind of girl who just accepts without question and goes along for the ride. What would you do, say if I did this..."

Sebastian released her hand but instinctively Amelia tightened her grip, then blushed. Sebastian's finger closed back around her's.

"Question answered," he said, smugly.

Amelia rolled her eyes. A couple up a head smiled as they took selfies, the pier stretched out behind them and Amelia got a sudden thought.

"You want to do something fun?" Amelia asked.

"I have a bad feeling about whatever you're going to say because you have a look in your eye that I'm not sure I've seen before."

Amelia frowned and his face relaxed.

"That look I do know," Sebastian joked.

"Seriously, its nothing dangerous, just fun."

He scowled, but said nothing.

"You're going photo bomb those couples pictures," Amelia said.

"No, I'm not. Do you know what kind of stir that would cause?"

"Come on Bash it would be hilarious. I'll go ask them if they want me to take their picture. You walk behind and I'll get you in the shoot. You don't even have to be that close. They probably won't even see you there until later. Then you can put your hat back on and walk away."

Sebastian didn't look like he was giving in and Amelia sighed with annoyance.

"Fine," he said.

He dropped her hand and walked away. Composing herself, Amelia followed, pausing at the couple.

"Would you like me to take a picture for you, so you can get the pier in the background?" Amelia asked.

"Uh...sure," the woman said.

She handed over her phone to Amelia, and the couple wrapped their arms around each other. Amelia raised the camera and found Sebastian standing a few feet away looking both amused and disgruntled at the same time.

"Alright, one...two...three..." Amelia said.

She snapped the picture, Sebastian's wide grin, just over the shoulder of the man.

"There you go, I think that one's a keeper."

They readily thanked her and she caught up to Sebastian, whose hat and glasses where back on his head. Slipping her hand into his, she slowed her pace, the smile breaking wide over her face.

"Happy?" Sebastian said, his grip tightening around her hand.

"Yes!"

Sebastian laughed at the look on her face.

"Is that something you usually do when you see strangers taking photos?"

"No, Will and I would usually use a party as our way of making mischief. Though it was never that harmful. Except for the one time we got one of our classmates so drunk he needed to sleep in one of the guest rooms. It wasn't our best moment."

"Now you have to explain that."

As they walked on to the thick wooden boards of the pier, Amelia told him about all the games Will and her had created to pass the time at parties.

Hands locked together, Sebastian and Amelia strolled to the end, the ocean racing out to touch the edge of the sky in front of them. They broke apart as they leaned against the railing. Breathing deeply, Amelia drew in the taste of sea water, releasing her breath in a content sigh.

"Thank you Bash, this day has been perfect."

"Of course, Aims."

A silence settled around them as Amelia let the sea capture her attention. She was brought back to the present when she felt fingers playing with her own. She looked down. Sebastian's slender hand was turning her's over in his, a small smile playing on his lips as he studied it.

"Are you amused by my hand?" Amelia looked away dramatically. "You wouldn't be the first. Many men have found it the source of their interest and desire."

Sebastian's laugh was quiet, the sound only loud enough to reach her ears.

"This doesn't surprise me. I've never seen such mesmerizing hands before," he joked.

The warmth of his grip on her skin rushed through her, brightening her cheeks and making her throat tighten at the feeling. He smiled as he interlocked their fingers.

The heat of the sun and the passage of time made no impression on them, lost in each other. They were stolen away from their world when Jones stepped over to them.

"I think you should be getting ready to leave in an hour or so," Jones said.

Sebastian nodded in agreement and pulled his hat and glasses from his back pocket and pulled them on. Like magnets their hands came together as they made their slow retreat down the pier. Towards the end, they stopped by a man with a long table filled with small paintings of Santa Barbara. Amelia reached for one of the pier during a sunset, the sky a vibrant wave of color..

"It's beautiful." Amelia said, looking back up at the man.

"Thank you." the man said, bowing his head.

"What's your name?" Sebastian asked.

Stretching out his hand he answered.

"Gary Scott."

Sebastian shook the hand.

"I'm Sebastian, this is Amelia. You're work is wonderful." He looked back to Amelia. "You want it?"

She nodded. Sebastian picked one for himself.

"How much?" Sebastian asked, pulling his wallet from his pocket.

"That will be $40."

"Seriously?"

Gary bagged the pictures, shifting uncomfortably. Sebastian took out two 50s and handed them to him, taking the bag in exchange.

"You're work is beautiful. It deserves more," Sebastian said.

"I charge what I think will sell. It's my retirement hobby and I figure I'll keep doing it no matter if it sells or not."

Sebastian nodded then pulled put his phone.

"Gary, do you mind if I take a picture of you and your work and post it on my social media feeds?"

"Sure, I'm not certain what that will do, but knock yourself out."

Sebastian snapped a quick photo then shook Gary's hand again.

"I suggest for at least the rest of today, raising your prices. You might find they still sell."

"Okay. Have a good day," Gary said, slightly puzzled.

"You too," they both echoed.

They moved a couple feet away and Sebastian paused, typing into his phone. Pocketing it, they started walking again, his free hand finding Amelia's.

"What was that all about?" she asked, giving him a puzzled look.

"I posted the picture of Gary on every social media platform saying where he was and how much I liked his paintings. My guess is by the end of two hours he will be completely sold out."

"Really?"

He nodded and paused, looking back to Gary. A group of girls had gathered there, half of them looking over the paintings, the other half trying to spot Sebastian.

"That's crazy, you posted it a couple minutes ago," Amelia said, as they moved on.

"A little but it also let's me do things like that or promote causes that I think people should be behind."

Amelia nodded her head distractedly, caught up in the idea of how obsessed his fans were.

"I didn't know you were on social media," Amelia said.

"I am, but I don't post things. Someone does that for me, because I would never do it myself. I don't care for the world knowing anything more about my life than they already do. Are you even on social media?"

"No, I made a Facebook profile awhile ago, but never post things. I like to keep people in suspense about whether I will or won't post something, or if I'm dead or not."

"Yeah, that sounds like you."

They arrived at the car, and Sebastian waited for Jones to reach them.

"We'll stop by In 'n Out, then head back," Sebastian said.

Jones nodded and moved over to the black SUV.

"What's In 'n Out?" Amelia asked.

"Poor little New Yorker, you have no idea what you have been missing. It's only the best burger place in the world," Sebastian said, unlocking the car.

Amelia smiled as she climbed in.

"You don't happen to have a jacket do you? I kind of got cold on the way up."

He nodded and pulled a dark green hoody out the trunk.

"Here you go. We can leave the top up, if you want?" he said, slamming his door shut.

"What would be the point of riding in a convertible if the top is up?" Amelia said, mockingly.

She slide her arms into the sleeves of the jacket, the material soft against her skin, Sebastian's cologne clinging to the fabric.

"Where did you get this jacket, its amazing!" she said.

"I bought it last week, I'm glad you like it."

Amelia wrapped herself in its large folds. "I love it."

Sebastian tossed her a lazy smile. "What can I say I have excellent taste."

***************

"Aims, are you alright?" Sebastian asked.

Blinking, Amelia realized she had started to lean and Sebastian was supporting her. The elevator rose soundlessly.

"Just tired. What time is the party at?" Amelia asked, looking at him.

"In three hours."

"Then I'm going to take a nap."

Sebastian's laugh bounced off the elevator walls and escaped into the hallway as the doors dinged open. He was walking her to her room, when a door down the hall opened and Chuck stepped out, looking around.

"Sebastian there you are. I need to talk over details with you about tonight," Chuck said.

Sebastian nodded, but looked back at Amelia.

"I'll see you tonight then," Sebastian said.

Amelia smiled and nodded.

"Don't forget this," he said, handing her the small painting.

She took it.

"Thank you Bash, for the day, it was perfect."

He nodded and started to walk away, but stopped when Amelia called out to him.

"Your jacket," Amelia said, already shrugging out of it.

"Keep it. It looks better on you."

Holding in a wide grin, she entered her room. Tiredly she collapsed on the bed wrapping the jacket around herself, a contented smile breaking across her lips as she drifted off.

**********************************************************************

Hey there!

So when I was listing off all the music Sebastian listens to I was merely amusing myself. Coming from California I love the Beach Boys, I grew up listening to them. What is Harmony is actually a band my brother and sister joked about making. Kicking Jimmy was also another band they came up with along with my other brother. These bands never did anything except take epic photos. Finally Kenny G is awesome and my mom used to play his music when we went on long drives.

(Looking back at this I realize that 'It looks better on you' line is so cliché 🤦🏽‍♀️)

Vote, comment, follow, tell me what you thought! Favorite music? Go!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.5K 501 62
Alone. A simple word that has always held many meanings to Ella, and starting her senior year at a new high school, solitude had seemed the easiest w...
205 71 6
Featured by @StoriesUndiscovered for the month of September 2023 on their reading list "Curiosity Cupboard" Tied for 1ST PLACE in the Rising Star Awa...
24.3M 1.1M 61
Now available in paperback! "I LOVE IT!" - CarniaHolmes "I'm going to break your nose, because I don't like your face," Carter said. She pointed...
1.8M 36.8K 50
|HIGHEST RANKING| #1 in freeyourbody on 06/15/19 #9 in love on 09/02/19 #1 in bodypositivity on 11/09/19 #1 in betrayal on 01/11/20 "How much Tyler...