A Lady and her Footman (a Dow...

By ChloBell18

***ON HOLD*** In 1900 an Irish girl was adopted from an orphanage in Dublin by a family when she was six, she... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25 (Christmas special: part 1)
Chapter 26 (Christmas Special: part 2)
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
A/N
It's my birthday!
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Its my birthday!!!

Chapter 6

4.7K 88 6
By ChloBell18

About freaking time right? Lol, I'm so sorry I'm a slow updater.
________________________________

Walking into the dinning room, I see Robert at the head of the table. Edith to his right and Mary to his left. Mr. Carson walked in carrying a letter. He handed it to Robert. I walked over to Sybil who was getting her breakfast.

I walked up to her as she smiled. I grabbed my plate as she went to go sit by Edith. I smiled at Mr. Carson as I put my food on my plate. Surprisingly he smiled back, not a big smile, but it was good enough for me.

I picked up my plate and went to go sit by Mary. Edith smiled at me, I wished her a good morning. Mary took a sip of her drink.

"Who's that from, Papa? You seem very absorbed." He didn't take his eyes stay from the letter.

"It's from your Aunt Rosamund."

"Anything interesting?" Asked Edith. He looked up from the letter to her.

"Nothing to bother you with." He continued to read.

"Poor Aunt Rosamund." Said Sybil.

"All alone in that big house. I feel sorry for her." She took a bite of her food.

"I don't." Mary Said "All alone, with plenty of money, in a house in Eaton Square? I can't imagine anything better." She took a sip of her tea. Robert angrily slammed the letter into his other hand.

"Really, Mary, I wish you wouldn't talk like that. There will come a day when someone thinks you mean what you say." Edith looked from Robert to Mary.

"It can't come soon enough for me." I rolled my eyes as she took another sip of her tea. Edith had a not so pleased look on her face, Robert did also as he got up out of his seat.

"Carson, I'll be in the library. Will you let me know when her Ladyship is down?" Mr. Carson bowed.

"Certainly, milord." Robert tossed a letter into the table.

"Sybil, Darling, this one's for you." He then left the room.

Edith picked up the letter and handed it to Sybil. I took a bite of my eggs as she opened the letter. She quickly opened it, once she had opened it and read it, she was grinning from ear to ear.

I picked up my glass. "Good news?" I asked taking a sip of my tea.

"Very good news." She folded the letter and grabbed the envelope then left the table. Leaving me alone in the same room with Edith and Mary.

~~~~

After finishing my letter, I folded it and stuck it into the envelope. Putting on my coat and hat as I made my way down the stairs.

As I walked into the foyer I heard yelling. I walked towards the kitchen and stood by the doorway. "Problem? Who mentioned a problem? How dare you say such a thing in front of her Ladyship!" Said a fuming Mrs. Patmore to Daisy.

"Very well. We'll try it another time, when you've had longer to prepare. We'll stay with the raspberry meringue." Cora said reassuringly.

"And very nice it'll be, too."

"I'm sure." Cora looked from Mrs. Patmore to a frightened Daisy to Mrs. Hughes. Mrs. Hughes and Cora walked out of the kitchen.

They didn't notice me standing there as they talked. "I'm so sorry about that, M'lady." Said Mrs. Hughes.

"Never mind, I was asking a lot." She looked towards the kitchen.

"Do look after that poor girl." Mrs. Hughes looked at Cora.

"Daisy? She's used to it, she'll be alright."

"I wonder. Mrs. Patmore looks ready to eat her alive." They looked to the kitchen, as did I.

"I was only trying to help." Daisy said reassuringly.

"Oh, like Judas was only trying to help, I suppose, when he brought the Roman soldiers to the garden!" She yelled at Daisy. Cora walked upstairs as Mrs. Hughes sighed.

I took that as my cue to speak. "Mrs. Hughes?" She turned to look at me.

"Heavens, when did you get there?" I laughed lightly.

"I've been here the whole time, Mrs. Hughes."

"I didn't even notice. What is it that you need?" I held my letter in my hands.

"I was coming down here to ask, if anyone needed any letters taken to the post, before I go?" She thought for a moment before walking to her sitting room.

I followed her to see her grab a letter from her desk. "Here ya go." She handed me her letter. "Thank you, dear." I smiled, she then quickly looked back towards the kitchen, where Mrs. Patmore continued her rampage. I looked to her.

"So, how's your morning been so far?" She sighed.

"Quite eventful." I patted her shoulder as I walked out of her sitting room.

I knocked on Mr. Carson's door. "Come in" I opened his office door and walked in. He looked up from his desk to me, he mustered up a small smile.

"What can I do for you, Lilly?" He asked interlocking his fingers on his desk.

"Is there anything you would like me to take to the post for you?" He opened up a drawer and pulled out quite a few letters.

I walked up to his desk and took the letters from his hand. "Thank you, Lilly." I smiled.

"You're welcome, Mr. Carson." I walked out of his office, closing the door behind me.

I walked towards the stairs, when I heard chatter from inside the servant's hall. I walked in to see Anna sat by Mr. Bates, a few hall boys sitting at the end of the table.

William polishing silverware, Thomas and Miss O'Brien's backs to me. "I'm heading to the post." They all looked up from what they were doing and listened to me.

"If you need any letters taken, I can take them with me." William put down the silverware and reached into his pocket and pulled out his letter and handed it to me.

He smiled then went back to polishing. Anna and Mr. Bates handed me their letters. "This is sweet of you, taking everyone's mail for them." Anna smiled.

"It's the least I could do." I looked down at all the letters in my hands.

"And if any of you have mail, I'll be sure to bring it back to you."

"Thank you, Lilly." Thanked Mr. Bates.

"You're welcome. I should get going." I walked out off the hall and up the stairs.

I walked outside and started to walk down the driveway when I heard my name called.

"Lilly!" I turned around to see Tom. I gave him a smile.

"Good morning, Tom. How are you?" He smiled back.

"Good, where ya goin?" He asked.

"To the village, I have letters to deliver"
He laughed.

"And a lot of'em. How many people do you know?" I laughed.

"They are all not my letters. I asked everyone downstairs if they had any they wanted me to take with me. This was the result." I held up the stack of letters.

"Do you have anything you would like me to take for ya?" He shook his head.

"No, not this time. Would you like me to give you a rid? I'd hate for you to have to walk all that way." I shook my head.

"Thank you for the offer, Tom, but I like to walk."

"Are you sure?" He asked, as if not sure about me walking.

"I'm positive." I leaned up to kiss his cheek.

"I'll see you later, Tom." I turned around and continued my walk down the driveway.

I looked over to my right to see Cora sitting on a bench underneath a tree, Robert speaking to her. I need to have a word with her when I get back.

~~~~

As I walked towards the corner the post office was on, I heard someone. I looked beside me to see Mathew. "Oh hello, Matthew." He walked beside me with his bike on his other side.

"How are you?" I smiled.

"I'm well, how about you?" He nodded his head.

"Pretty well. What brings you to the village?" I showed him the letters.

"I'm on my way to the post office. I have a few letters to send" he laughed. "A few."

I shook my head and laughed also. "I'm delivering some of the staffs letters. Thought I'd help them out by asking since I was coming this way anyway." He looked down.

"Branson couldn't give you a lift?"

"I prefer walking. I don't like to take the car if I don't have too." He chuckled.

"How's life with the Crawley's?" I let out a puff of air.

"It's alright, aside from Mary not being very keen of me and me not being very keen of her." He laughed.

"She really isn't keen of me when I'm around you. I think you have an admirer." I looked over at him, batting my eyelashes.

He chuckled. I wouldn't count on that." He looked to me and smiled, I smiled back, looking ahead.

"I've heard there is a flower show in the next couple of days. It should be lovely." He scoffed

"Hardly, Mother and Cousin Violet have been at each other's throats." I laughed.

"They've been at each other's throats, ever since the two of you arrived." He laughed along with me.

~~~~

Arriving back, I see William walk out of the stairwell door. "William." He turned to me, I held out his letter "This ones for you" he took it from my hands and read the back of the envelop.

"It's from Dad." A smile crept onto his lips.

"Well, let's hope it's good news, yeah?" I leaned up and kissed his cheek as I went into the library.

And as I expected, Robert was sat at his desk. "Robert?" He stopped his task to look at me.

"Yes?"

"Do you know where, Cora is?" He looked to the window thinking.

"Try her sitting room." I smiled at him.

"Thank you." He returned it as he went back to what he was doing. I left the library.

Walking up to Cora's door, I knocked. "Come in" I heard her say. I opened the door to see her at the other side of the room, sitting at her desk in front of the window. I walked in, closing the door behind me.

"Cora?" She looked up from her papers on her desk.

"Lilly, what can I do for you?" She put her hands in her lap, I played with mine nervously. She noticed my state and motioned for me to sit in the chair beside her.

She gave me a concert in smile "What is it, dear?" I bit my lip.

"I need advice." She tilted her head to the side a little. "With what?"

"if you like someone, or loved them and they loved you back, or at least they say they do. And besides you they treat everyone else with pure hatred. They would go from sweet, loving person, to someone completely evil in an instant. And you're not sure which side of them is the real them. What do you do?"

She looked at me hard for a moment. "Is this 'Someone' happen to be anyone we know?" I nodded. "In a way, yes."

"Describe how he is around you, every detail." I looked at my hands.

"He's charming, he can be a little smug at times but, he can make me laugh, and when he laughs, it's music to my ears. And his smile, is breathtaking." She grinned at me, I felt the corners of my lips turn upwards.

"How is he when he's not around you?" The corners of my lips went downwards.

"He's horrible, I've nearly caught him a few times, but I brushed it off. But I finally caught him in the act. Granite he was an ass when I arrived here..." I shut my mouth and starred at her wide eyed.

She had a smirk on her lips. "Damn." I somewhat whispered, she chuckled at me.

"It's Mr. Barrow, isn't it?" I bit the inside of my cheek.

"How'd you guess?" She grabbed my hand.

"I could tell you two fancied each other the day you arrived here." I narrowed my eyes at her.

"How?"

"When I asked you in here for tea with the Dowager, I saw the glances you two where giving each other. And then there was dinner that evening, when you quickly left and he followed after you. And your little 'date' to the village." I looked at her with a dumbfounded.

"How did you find out about that?" She put her lips into a thin line.

"Sybil." I leaned back into the sofa. "I told her not to tell, anyone." She patted my knee.

"My dear, I'm a mother, whatever secrets my Daughters are hiding from me, I'll find a way to get them to tell me, eventually. Don't blame Sybil."

"I don't blame Sybil, and I don't blame you, or anyone. I blame myself." She furrowed her brows.

"And why is that?" I sat up.

"Everyone in this house hates, Thomas. Maybe I should have listened to them."

"And why should you? If he acts the way you say he does around you, which means it's the real him. And that he loves you." I stood up.

"That's just the thing, I done know which is the real him." I started to pace.

"Is he just playing with me? Is all this just a game to him? And that he can play with me till he gets bored. And is he just saying he loves me because he wants to see what kind of reactions he can get out of me? Is all this just for his amusement?" Cora stood up and stopped my pacing by putting her hands on my shoulders.

"My dear, he is not playing with you, I can assure you of that. I've seen the way he looks at you when you're not looking, and it is not the look of a player, it's the look of a man in Love. And I do not know why he is cruel to everyone else, maybe he doesn't know how to express emotion to certain people. And maybe it takes a special person for him to open up too" I looked at her.

"Like me?" She smiled. "Like you. I looked down.

"Talk to him, and you will feel better." I nodded my head and gave her a small smile, she hugged me and rubbed my back.

"It'll work out, I promise."

"Thank you." I mumbled into her shoulder, she kissed the side of my head before she pulled away. I looked towards her desk, papers piled up.

"So, how's the flower show coming along?" She sighed.

"Don't even ask." She walked back to her desk, I giggles at her as she turned her head back towards me with a smile on her lips.

~~~~

Walking downstairs for dinner, I see Sybil talking to Robert. "I need the Governess cart tomorrow."

"Oh, why?" She played with her gloves in her hands.

"I'm going to Malton." She explained.

"Oh, Don't risk the traffic in Malton. Not now every Tom, Dick, and Harry seems to have a motor."

Sybil smiled at him. "Hardly."

"Last time I was there, there were five cars parked in the marketplace and another three drove past while I was waiting. Get Branson to take you in the car. Neither of us are using it."

"I thought I would pop in on old Mrs. Stuart. Will you tell Mama if I forget?" He nodded his head, Sybil leaned up and kissed his cheek, She saw me and we walked into Dinner.

~~~~

After breakfast I was informed That the Dowager had invited me to visit her at her manor. I went upstairs to change and Anna walked in.

"Hello." I said to her, she smiled. "Where's Gwen." She helped slip on my corset, bloody kill me.

"She's ill at the moment." I looked at Anna through the mirror.

"Aww, poor lass." She started to tighten the laces.

"I'm afraid I'm going to have to substitute for today."

I smiled. "And a lovely substitute you will be." She giggled as did I.

~~~~

After getting changed, I walked downstairs to the kitchen. Walking into the servants hall, I found Tom sipping on his tea while reading the morning paper.

"Tom?" He looked up and smiled.

"Good morning love, what do you need?" I smiled back.

"I was wondering if you wouldn't mind driving me to the Dowager's Manor?" He sat down his tea and paper.

"Of course not, I don't mind at all." He got up and walked around the table towards me. I turned around to walk out when I bumped into someone.

I looked up to lock eyes with, Thomas. He opened his mouth then closed it again.

"Umm." He said but I walked around him and went up the stairs. I'll talk to him later, I told Cora I would.

I walked into the Main Hall, and as I made it to the door, I heard someone call my name. I turned around to see Robert.

"Good morning Lilly. Where are you off too?" He asked.

"Good morning, I was invited to visit Lady Grantham." His eyes widened.

"You summoned by Mama? Godspeed my dear." I laughed as he chuckled.

He kissed the top of my head as I saw Tom brought the car around. I walked outside and into the car.

~~~~

"I wonder what the Dowager wants with you?" Looked away from the window and met Tom's gaze through the rearview mirror.

"I haven't the slightest bloody idea." I answered with an actual kind of terrified look on my face. Tom chuckled from the driver's seat.

~~~~

Tom opened the door for me and offered me his hand, I took it as he helped me out of the car. I stood there looking up at the house as Tom closed the door behind me. I looked up at the house, I felt Tom's hand on my shoulder.

"Good luck, Lilly." I mumbled something in response, he lightly laughed at me as he got in the car and started it, and was well on his way back to Downton Abbey.

I continued to look at the house, terrified. Wondering if I did anything wrong to get this sudden invitation. Just then the door opened to reveal Lady Violet's butler. He bowed as he gestured for me to come in, I gave him a nervous smile as I entered.

He lead me to the Drawing room, to which Lady Violet was sat in her chair. I walked in and curtsied.

"Lady Violet." She smiled.

"Hello, my dear. How are you this morning?" I fiddled with my fingers.

"Quite well." She tilted her head to the side, examining me.

"You don't look 'Quite well' to me. What is it?" I licked my bottom lip.

"Have I done something wrong?" She furrowed her brow.

"Why, why would you think that?" She asked.

"Well, you summons me here all of a sudden, I thought I've done something wrong. something to displease you." She chuckled.

"There is nothing that you have done that has displeased me, my dear. I have not summoned you here for that."

"Then why am I here?" I asked.

"For tea." I smiled and let out a laugh of relief.  She motioned for my to sit on the sofa beside her. Just then there was a knock on the door. Then in came, Mrs. Crawley.

Mrs. Crawley saw me and looked surprised "Oh, I didn't know you had company today." She gave me a smile.

"Oh no, do please sit down." Mrs. Crawley sat down in the chair in front of Lady Violet. She settled her purse on her lap as Lady Violet put her hands on her knees.

"What would your visit bring me today, Isobel?" She asked as if this was an everyday routine for her.

"I'm here to talk about the flower show." Lady Violet had a look of shock on her face.

"The flower show? I thought I was in for another telling off about the hospital."

"No, this time it's the flower show. I've been to see old Mr. Molesley's garden, and his roses are the most beautiful I've ever laid eyes on." Lady Violet looked at her with a 'here we go' look on her face.

"Go on." I looked from Lady Violet to Mrs. Crawley.

"You may not know it, but I believe the committee feel obliged to give you the cup for best bloom as a kind of local tradition." Lady Violet cut her off.

"No, no, I do not know that. I thought I usually won the prize for best bloom in the village because my gardener had grown the best bloom in the village."
She gave an annoyed smile.

"Yes, but you don't usually win, do you? You always win." I looked between the two.

Yes. I have been fortunate in that regard."

"But surely, when Mr. Molesley's garden is so remarkable and is so very proud of his roses..." Lady Violet gave her an outraged look.

"You talk of Mr. Molesley's pride." She spat back. "What about my gardeners pride? Is he to be sacrificed on the altar of Molesley's ambition?" I sunk further into the sofa, uncomfortable.

"All I'm asking is that you release them from any obligation to let you win. Why not just tell them to choose whichever flower is best?" Mrs.
Crawley finished, looking happy with herself.

As for Lady Violet "But that is precisely what they already know. And do." She finished bitterly. I looked between the two. If looks could kill.

I coughed awkwardly. Lady Violet picked up her bell, still glaring at Mrs. Crawley.

"Tea?" She asked, then rang the bell. She then somewhat slammed it down as she raised a brow at Mrs. Crawley. Oh dear lord in heaven, help me make it out of here alive.

~~~~

After tea, Lady Violet's chauffeur drove me back to Downton. I thanked him once I got out of the car, he tipped his hat to me then drove down the driveway.

I walked in the front doors then leaned against the wall. I let out a sigh of relief as I took off my hat. Robert came out of the dining room and looked to me. He chuckled. "So!how was time with Mama?"

I gave him a look. "It wasn't just, Lady Violet, Mrs. Crawley was there too. And you know what happens when the two of them are in the same room." He laughed at his and put a hand on shoulder.

"Well, I'm glad you survived the war." I laughed as he kissed my head and walked into the Library. I took off my coat as well, when I heard barking.

I looked up to see Isis running down the stairs. I got down on my knees as she ran to me. She jumped up and put her front paws on my shoulders as I pet her.

"Well, hello to you too." I smiled as I rubbed her ears, she leaned into my touch. Her tail wagging and her tongue hanging out. I kissed her head as I stood up.

"Robert's in there." I pointed towards the Library, she barked once again as she jogged off to her master. I smiled as I walked up to my room.

Hanging my coat and hat in my closet, I walked over to my vanity and fixed my hair as Anna walked in.

I smile at her "Ready to change?" She asked, I nodded my head.

~~~~

"So, Gwen is missing and so is Sybil?" I asked as I fixed my skirt, Anna picked up my previous clothes off of the floor. "Yes, she said she was ill, but when I went up to change for lunchin she wasn't there" I pulled my hair out off my braid and let my long wavy locks run free down my back.

"Well, Sybil said she was going to visit a friend, so maybe that's where she is still" She had a worried look on her face, I put my hands on her shoulders.

"I'm sure they both are fine, Anna. They'll both be back soon enough" she gave me a small smile, I gave her one in return. She turned around and left the room.

I looked myself over in the mirror once more. Time to face the music. I walked out of my room and made my way to the kitchen. I walked in and saw Mrs. Patmore looking like a mad woman trying to get dinner ready.

I walked into the servant's hall and saw, William at the piano, playing a little tune. Mr. Bates sitting at the table, followed by, Tom. Thomas had his back to me, with Mrs. O'Brien sitting next to him. I stepped more into the room and stood by Mr. Carson's chair, where Thomas could see me.

"Thomas?" He looked up at me from his paper. Everyone else in the room looked at me also. "Could I have a word with you, outside? Please" He nodded his head as he put out his cigarette then stood up.

I gave Tom, Mr. Bates and William a small smile to which they returned. He pushed his seat back underneath the table as I started to walked towards the back door.

I walking outside, I stood a little ways from the door. Thomas came out and shut the door behind him. He faced me and put his hands in his pockets. Here goes.

"I umm, I wanted to talk to you about what happened in the kitchen a couple days ago. Why are you so mean to William? What did he do to make you act that way towards him?"

He sighed and looked down at his shoes "You don't have a reason, you just do it. Look, I will say that you were a complete ass when I came here, but then you changed. At least you did towards me.

And the thing is, I don't even know which side of you is the real you. I don't know if you're the person that you're when you're around me, or when you're around everyone else. And frankly, I don't know if you're lying to me or not"

He looked up at me "I'm not lying to you" he then looked away and signed. He ran his hands over his face, then looked to me again. 

"After living win my dad, after all the years of abuse. He told me that I would never amount to anything. So coming here I wanted to prove that I would amount to something. That I would be a butler here one day, not just a footman.

After my mom died and having to live with him, all the kindness and all the emotion that I had, was gone. So when I came here I didn't try to get along with anyone, because I didn't care. So, I focused on my job. But then you came along and you've made me care"

The corners of his mouth twitched.
"I have a hard time opening up to people, but I feel comfortable around you. And I feel comfortable around you because I love you" He put his hands back in his pockets.

"I do, I really love you. And I never thought that I could trust anyone, again. But you're special, Lilly" I walked up to him and grabbed his hand out of his pocket.

"And I love you, too. And I'm happy that you can trust me. But I need you to try your best" I held my thumb and index finger two inches away from each other.

"To be a little bit, kinder" He looked away and laughed lightly, I smiled. I gently moved his chin so he could face me. "For me? I know it will take time for you to open up everyone. And I know it won't happen right away. But in time can you at least try, for me?"

He looked at me for a moment then nodded his head. I smiled then leaned up on my tiptoes to kiss him. He cupped my cheek and put the other one on my waist.

I put my hands on his chest. He pulled away and put his forehead against mine. "I love you" He whispered, I smiled up at him "I love you too, Thomas" I heard the dressing gong  from inside.

I looked back up at Thomas. "Come on, best get inside before Mr. Carson has our heads" I pecked his lips before we walked inside. We stopped in the foyer just as Anna walked out of the Servant's hall.

"Lilly, do you want to go upstairs and get ready?" I nodded my head "I'll be up in a moment" she smiled then walked up the stairs.

I started to walk away but Thomas was still holding my hand. He pulled me back to him and smiled down at me, I kissed the corner of his lips, before I let go of his hand and Followed Anna.

___________________________

So there you have it, I'll be sure to upload chapter 7 next weekend. I hope you all liked it. If you did 'Punch that like button in the face, like a boss. And high fives all around. Thank you and I'll see all you dudes, in the next chapter' if you're a Jacksepticeye fan, then you total just read that in his voice.😄

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

402 30 31
***A time travel romance.*** This novel can be read as a standalone book, even though it is the first book in the 'Barriers of Time' series. At 21, D...
3.8K 123 27
(Thomas Barrow/Matthew Crawley) When you serve in war together you form a bond beyond all else. When you serve in war with Thomas Barrow you find you...
24.8K 396 11
Lady Emma Crawley is the third child of Lord and Lady Grantham. She is extremely loyal to those who loves her and she believes family is the most imp...
73 10 12
In the early '900 in an orphanage in Scotland, four boys and a girl grow up together as siblings, but as young adults they decide to flee and to trav...