A Beautiful and Terrible Truth

By BeautifullySimple

[Sequel to Secret] "Ah, the truth, a beautiful and terrible thing that must be treated with care." Courtney h... More

A Beautiful and Terrible Truth
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39

Chapter 15

18.7K 369 222
By BeautifullySimple

“I’ll begin with Miss Flint,” the minister said and as he reached to the side of him, I swallowed hard.

What could Dumbledore possibly have left me? Scrimgour handed me a rather think envelope with my name scrawled over the front in none other than Dumbledore’s handwriting. I took it and swallowed hard. I flipped it over to still find it sealed, but I still looked up at the minister.

He nodded. “We’re reguarded under the law not to go through the contents of a personal letter left in a will unless it’s a matter of life and death, but when it comes to you, Miss Flint, we thought that nothing left to you would be considered dangerous in any shape or form,” he stopped and cleared his throat. “The contents of that envelope have been unsearched.”

I nodded and stared in wonder at the heavy envelope. Harry’s hand soothingly ran over my arm. I didn’t want to open it in front of everyone, but Scrimgour was handing me something else. It was too in an envelope, but it wasn’t heavy like the other. He told me that was all, so I nodded to Harry before standing and heading up to Ron’s room where I found Kam talking with Astoria.

“What did he want?” Kam asked, sitting up from her position on the bed.

Astoria smiled at me from the floor, but she didn’t move. It was good to see her, but she looked like she was tired. The bags under her eyes were proof that she wasn’t sleeping well. It must bother her because her family is still involved in the mess that she left behind. Either that or she had rough nights staying with the ginger twins, which was my guess.

“To give me two envelopes that Dumbledore left me in his will,” I said, causing Kam’s eyes to widen and Astoria to jump up off the floor, hitting her head on the bed as she did so just so she could sit next to Kam.

“So,” Astoria said. “Your Headmaster left you something of all people?”

I nodded. “I was once called to his office last year to talk about Pansy and her spreading rumors around the whole school about me, but instead he told me that I was more important than I realized, especially to Draco. It was before I knew that Draco had fallen in love with me.”

Astoria smiled. “Then open them!”

“Wait a second,” Kam said, standing and approaching me and took one of the envelopes in her hand and felt the other. “You should open the lightest first.”

I nodded. “Okay.”

I let Kam hold the other one as I placed my pointer finger under the flap. With that one movement, Astoria jumped off the bed and flew to our sides. I took in a deep breath before tearing the flap open. There was no parchment of any form inside, but when I tipped it over a necklace fell into my hand. It wasn’t just any necklace though.

“Is that a time turner?” Astoria gasped.

Kam nodded. “That is for real a time turner. Are you sure there’s no note with it?”

I shook my head and handed her the empty envelope so she could just tear it apart in search for an explanation, which I was sure was in the heavier one. So, I tore it open and there was some parchment inside. I pulled it out, and when I did, a small, clear vial fell out as well. A vial? What? Did he want me to make a potion of some sort?

“Give me that,” Kam said, taking the vial with such force that I actually looked up at her. “Read, Courtney. Read!”

And so I did.

Dearest Courtney,

I am quite sure that this must come as a shock to you to discover that I had plans for you as I did for Harry. What I must ask of you is not to tangle your assignment up with his for they have absolutely nothing to do with each other. Harry is looking to stop a wizard. You are looking to stop a cycle.

I know this must sound very confusing to you at the moment, and I must apologize for I cannot tell you everything. Just know that I took it into my own interest to forewarn you so this cycle can stop, and you will not make the wrong choice once more. What is up ahead for you is a beautiful, yet terrible, truth. I’m not sure that I’m the person to help you discover what it is. I am merely pointing you in the right direction.

My first direction would be to seek out Alycia Torrez. She has some information for you that I believe will be helpful as well as explaining your next direction. She knows quite a bit about your situation, far more than I can give you here, I’m afraid.

Just know that I send my deepest hope with you. You must succeed in your mission before Harry is to kill Voldemort for the sequel be set in once more and there will be nothing you can do to stop it. Remember when I told you that day in my office that you are more important than you realize? Well, my dear, this is the reason why you were born. Only you have the power to stop it, and stop it alone. You may take some companions with you, but I beg of you to not tag along with Harry. That will cause one of you to fail, and if Harry fails, the whole world is doomed.

I wish you the best of luck, Miss Flint, and only wish that I could help you more.

Albus Percival Wolfric Brain Dumbledore, Your headmaster and friend.

I looked up at Kam and Astoria, who were looking at me with frightful faces. I had not read it aloud so I passed the letter to the two of them. I walked over by the window and looked out at the lawn that was being groomed and ready for the wedding. I sighed. Should she even stay for the wedding? That letter seemed pretty urgent, so might as well get started on it, right?

“We’re going with you,” Kam announced after they had finished.

I looked over at them with a smile. “I wouldn’t have it any other way because I absolutely have no idea where to start first. Obviously, I have to find that Alycia chick, but where am I supposed to find her?”

Astoria smiled. “I know who she is.”

Kam looked at her. “How do you know her? Let me guess, she’s also an ex Death Eater?”

“No,” Astoria looked at her oddly before focusing on me. “She used to attend Beaubatox with me. I don’t know where she is now, but I know who would know. I just hope it’s the same Alycia”

“I seriously love you, Astoria,” I smiled broadly at her. “You’re definitely coming along then. I won’t take no for an answer.”

“We should wait to leave until after the wedding though,” Kam added. “I mean, it’s tomorrow. What’s one day set back? We have until Harry murders Voldemort, so what’s one more day? It’s going to take them forever to find all the horcruxes anyway.”

I nodded. “Okay, but we’re leaving right after and not a moment after.”

I walked over to the corner where I had the beaded bag that Hermione gave me before we had left Hogwarts. I opened it and pulled my wand out of my pocket, calling my dress for the wedding I had packed up. It was tangled with a silvery object that I immediately recognized as Harry’s cloak. I had forgotten to give it to him. I pulled it away easily from the dress, which I hung before leaving Kam and Astoria to talk excitedly about our upcoming adventure.

“There’s my girl,” Ron smiled at me as he walked up the stairs as I was walking down. “I’m guessing that you read the letters?”

I nodded. “I sure did. Now, I’m going to give this back to Harry.”

Ron looked at the cloak that I had held up for just a second before yanking it out of my grip, pulling me up against him, and throwing it over us. My heart skipped a beat as I looked into his deep, brown eyes. They were completely the opposite of Draco’s. Well, they were complete opposites anyhow. I smiled at Ron and made to pull away, but he smirked and kissed me full on the lips. I was so glad that the cloak was over us or the people passing below the stairs would’ve seen that I wasn’t pulling away from him. Instead I deepened the kiss. I knew it was wrong. I knew that I had just been telling him that Hermione was the right one for him just hours before, but I just couldn’t help it.

“I know what you said earlier,” Ron whispered against my lips, “but I can’t help but still think that there’s something here between us, and judging from that kiss, there was. So, I can’t just drop this, Courtney. I mean, I can explore what you say with Hermione, but there’s always going to be a pull between us. There is no doubt about it. Merlin’s Beard, Court, you were the one that deepened the kiss. So, we’re not finished here. Far from it, actually.”

I gulped and my hand automatically reached up and grabbed onto Draco’s ring. Ron put his hand over mine and smiled up at me. My breathing had become ragged, and my heart was pounding a million miles a minute. What was between Ron and me? It could’ve been love…could it?

“I wonder what’s going on under those blonde curls,” he whispered. “I know that you must be confused, seeing that you have promised yourself to him, but you seemed to be attracted to me. Your hearts a mess, Court. It must be, but you won’t admit it.”

I shook my head. “But it’s no-“ He put his finger to my lips, interrupting my lie.

“I know. Love’s not safe, which makes it difficult for me to make you see.”

“To see what?” I asked, knowing that he wouldn’t leave me alone but at the same time wishing he would kiss me again.

“That I’m better for you than him,” he chuckled. “I’m in love with you, Courtney, and I’ll wait for you to make your decision. I’ll also do some soul searching of my own. For Merlin’s sake, Court, I hope that you admit that you love me too.”

That’s when he pushed me out from under the cloak and into someone, who laughed. I turned around to face Harry, knowing that my face was completely flustered. I felt a slight wind as Ron took off the cloak and tossed it to Harry, who caught it without a problem. I turned to see the ginger run up to his room, cursing myself because he was right. 

A/N: I am soooooooo sorry for the long wait, but it's here now. I made sure that you had it for today. Things have been really hectic from demanding school work to whiney ass bosses who desperatley (don't) need my help. I'll try to update more regularly though, just for you guys. <3 oh, and the song on the side (I got it from Paige<3) is Ron's song for Court. That guy, Gotye, is really good! I checked out some of his other songs, and I like almost everything! :D Okay, that's enough I guess. Ta Ta for now! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.1K 540 10
I've never been so scared in my life. What would you do if someone threatened to kill all the ones you loved? You would do as they tell you right? Ha...
71.6K 3K 31
Draco Malfoy is looking for a new start, hoping to set out to clear his name and begin again. Harry Potter is looking for a new normal, hoping to se...
14.7K 932 24
In a world gripped by war, where trust is everything, Amelia and Draco learn that in order for their hearts to be full of trust, promises must be kep...
584K 15.1K 29
Hermione has a secret. She's known it for a while and it's changing her. People have noticed she's not the same person... not since he died... Cred...