Chapter 14

“So, let me get this straight,” Ron said, staring me down, after I had told them what had happened with Draco. “Draco and Blaise were the ones following you, and Draco tried to kill you. You threw him off track though by-“

“Kissing him while you were still Harry!” Kam yelled out as she continued to laugh her ass off about my ability to not think straight when Draco is around. “I can’t believe you did that! It’s the funniest thing that I have ever heard.”

“I would’ve preferred that you lost your ear,” Ron said, his mouth in a thin line, “like George did.”

I shook my head at him. “I could never live up to being holy like our Saint George.”

“Ha, that’s hilarious,” Ron said, not looking at me but punching the pillow instead.

We were sitting in his room at the Burrow, where we were sharing our missions. Ron, apparently, was brave and cunning, which surprised all of us, but Tonks swears that he was the reason they were alive. He didn’t do much elaborating because he was embarrassed by all the attention from his family. I, on the other hand, told my full story in all disclosure – after making sure no one was listening at the door, especially my brother or Fred. Kam had already told us as much as she wanted to. Mad-Eye had been her partner. He died within the first moments and had to be rescued by Lupin, who was the only one paying any attention as we left. She felt horrible because she couldn’t do anything. She just froze up as soon as she saw the Death Eaters coming their way. She blames herself; even though we told her a thousand times that it’s not. She won’t believe us, but instead she wants to laugh her ass off at my kiss with Draco. If it’s making her think of something else, then by all means let her laugh.

“Dinner’s ready, dears!” Molly Weasley’s voice rang through the house.

Kam jumped right up and made it all the way to the door before she turned to us. I waved her on and motioned that I was going to stay with Ron. Obviously, there was something bothering him since I told him about mine and Draco’s kiss. He needed to be set straight, and I had to be the person to do so.

“Ron,” I said as soon as she was gone. “You do know that we can’t be together, right?”

He looked up at me with those beautiful, brown eyes. “Well, you certainly haven’t been giving me that vibe since the beginning of summer, snogging me whenever and sleeping together.”

I sighed. “Ron, I know that we snogged, and that’s all our relationship ever was. I was mainly using you as a rebound because you had gotten into my head. If we truly were meant to be together, we wouldn’t have been snogging the whole holiday long. We would’ve talked, really talked. Not like we used to, all jokes and laughter, but serious talking. The kind of talking that would let you really get to know me for the person that I am. We were the exact replica of you and Lavender. Do you want all your relationships to be superficial like that?”

He just blinked at me for a moment before answering. “We weren’t exactly like me and Lavender. You never called me any names that made me want to punch you. I don’t think I could ever punch you, you’re too sweet.”

I smiled at him. “Are we good?”

“Are you still in love with Draco?”

“You know the answer to that, Ronald.”

He nodded. “Then no, we’re not good.”

“Ron,” I shook my head. “There’s the perfect girl out there for you, and I believe she’s downstairs right this instant eating dinner and having intelligent conversation. I am not perfect for you. Our relationship was purely physical. I want the brother/sister relationship back. Can we do that?”