The Last Dance

By xoStardust

Prince John's biggest fear? Becoming King, and everything to do with it, from the sheltered life, to someday... More

The Last Dance (1)
The Last Dance (2)
The Last Dance (3)
The Last Dance (4)
The Last Dance (5)
The Last Dance (6)
The Last Dance (7)
The Last Dance (8)
The Last Dance (9)
The Last Dance (10)
The Last Dance (11)
The Last Dance (12)
The Last Dance (13)
The Last Dance (14)
The Last Dance (15)
The Last Dance (16)
The Last Dance (17)
The Last Dance (19)
The Last Dance (20)
The Last Dance (21)
The Last Dance (22)
The Last Dance (23)
The Last Dance (24)
The Last Dance (25)
The Last Dance (26)
The Last Dance (27)
The Last Dance (28)
The Last Dance (29)
The Last Dance (30)
The Last Dance (31)
The Last Dance (32)
The Last Dance (33)
The Last Dance (34)
The Last Dance (Epilogue)
The Last Dance (Extra)

The Last Dance (18)

577K 6.1K 500
By xoStardust

Hi! First of all, thank you soooo much too all my new fans and for all the comments =) 

Sorry for the long wait, but hopefully it's worth it! 

And to make up for it the chapter is nice and long. Thanks for all your support!

Comment and Vote?

Cheers, 

xo.

***************************************************

Chapter 18 - Bickering

"Celia!"

I jumped at the sound of my name and rushed out of the tent to see that all the men we travelled here with were assembled. I was immediately surrounded, given pats on the back and some well wishes until I found myself facing Caleb.

"Well lass, I get this be where we part ways."

I nodded and my voice echoed his regret when I replied. "I hope the new settlement gets laid down quickly."

While a quiet man he had always seemed thoughtful and wise. He was definitely not one to make any rash decisions like I so often found myself doing, and for that I had to respect him. Even when he thought us a danger to his people, he waited for the others to come back before deciding our fate, and I knew that now we'd gained his trust he would remain a good friend. This was one man I would happily have at my back in a fight.

"You two will be welcome here always" He said warmly.

"Thank you Caleb, I hope I'll get the chance to visit again."

We clasped arms and nodded a farewell to each other. I knew I'd miss him something terrible.

He smiled at me warmly once more before drifting off to the rest of the group.

Next I found myself facing Brice, who drew me forward and pulled me into a rough and quick hug. Surprised I hugged him back uncertainly. This was not the type of behaviour one would expect to see with a man like him.

But then again, I'd learned quickly that while he could growl like a bear and pull out the claws, he could also be more soft and kind than most.

"T'was an honor fightin' you lass, an I won't be forgetting I be owing you me life."

I smiled warmly, feeling a deep bond to this great bear of a man. "There are no debts between friends Brice, and either way I believe we're even owing to a certain fire not long ago." He grinned and ruffled my hair affectionately.

"I'll be expectin' a rematch one day lass."

I laughed. "I look forward to it." I knew I'd be missing him a great deal too, already he felt like a second father to me.

Brice gave me another quick hug and I looked over his shoulder at the others. John was watching my exchange with an annoyed look on his face, but when he met my gaze grinned sheepishly and went back to talking with Rory.

Now what was that about?

I turned back to Brice feeling puzzled, and told him to accompany Rory on his next trip to the castle.

"I surely will, what with the wonders ye been telling me of."

His eyes twinkled and we chatted on about what had been going on while I had been unconscious.

"Ay, the village be comin' along well, we set up one big house so's everyone has a roof over their heads. A fair nice bit 'o ground was cleared by the fire too so it's bigger now"

"I'm glad to hear it... were many... lost in the fire?"

The question had been at the back of my mind since I'd woken, but I hadn't the courage to ask it till now. Brice's face saddened slightly.

"A few lass, but ye can be glad to know all the women and children were saved, only a few men folk that didn't make it."

"Well that's something I suppose, but what of their families?"

"Oh, this settlement be used to losses such as that. When a man passes on the rest 'o the village take on the child as their own. No need to be worrying about that lass."

"Well, that is a relief to hear" I smiled faintly.

I walked over to join Rory and a very fed faced John, catching just the end of what Rory was saying.

"...great match."

"What great match?" I asked. Rory opened his mouth to speak when John shot him a very pointed look.

Rory closed his mouth and I could see a bemused expression on his face as he and John stared at each other.

I glanced between them curiously wondering what was going on.

Rory winked at John and turned to me with a wide smile "Why that duel between ye and Brice, a great match it was. That will be one for the books. I can guarantee ye lass, next time ye be comin' in here everyone will be knowing yer name" He grinned proudly.

I looked suspiciously between them not quite believing the story.

John didn't look angry so much as embarrassed, which he had no reason to be over the fight. Unless he was embarrassed that I had to fight for his freedom?

Before I had a chance to pursue the matter the men, already rounded up again, called to Rory and he bid me a hasty farewell.

I gave them all a last goodbye and found that John had already started walking, and in the wrong direction no less.

I chuckled to myself and ran to catch up.

"You are aware we have to go to Newberry before home right? The journey would take over a week without our horses"

He stopped abruptly causing me to walk right into him and bounce backwards.

"Oof"

I stumbled and lost my balance falling backwards. John threw out a hand to catch my fall and grinned down at me.

"Didn't I say you'd fall for me eventually?"

I rolled my eyes at him "Yes that's it, I fell for you not because of you" I retorted sarcastically.

He shrugged and started off again, this time in the right direction. "Same difference."

"Please, they couldn't be more different" I said catching up.

"How so?"

I looked at him sceptically to see that his face was perfectly straight and curious. "Well, no wonder you think so highly of yourself if that's the 'logic' you follow" I muttered.

He bit the corner of his cheek to keep from smiling and I realized he'd only been joking with me. Of course, how gullible was I getting?

I punched him lightly in the arm and he pouted at me adorably. I felt my face warm slightly and looked away quickly.

Goodness, who knew he had such weapons in his arsenal? And here I thought women were the only ones who could pull such tricks.

He rubbed his shoulder as if it had actually hurt him. "Now, there's the old Celia 'sense of humour' I remember."

I grinned at him and speeded up to lead the way.

The sun was high up in the sky and it looked to be around two in the afternoon. Perfect, we should make it to the village by sunset.

We walked in silence for a while and I came to notice how nice the forest really was. I hadn't exactly had a chance to enjoy it much since I'd entered. First there was finding John, then saving him, then a duel, the fire, being unconscious... I'd never really had time to look around me to see the beauty.

Lush trees surrounded us, reaching forever higher to the sunlight. There were enough gaps between the upper reaches of foliage to let the sunlight shine through and light up the paths.

Exotic flowers grew in bunches and alone, in more colors than I could name, and shone brighter than any jewel.

The sounds of the bird's musical chirps could be heard all around accompanying the gentle sounds of the river we walked parallel to, and they always seemed to be in the perfect harmony.

I could easily see why so many people chose to live out here, though I knew their dangers were great. So quickly could this luscious beauty be turned into twisted columns of charcoal and ash. I shook my head to rid myself of the dark thoughts and turned my attention to my companion, who looked deep in thought.

About what I wondered. We had been travelling in a comfortable silence for a while now and I suddenly felt the urge to break the stagnant air between us.

"So..." I ventured casting about for a topic. I recalled the suspicious conversation I'd heard just before leaving and the curiosity sprung up again.

"Do you want to tell me what you and Rory were talking about before we left?"

John quickly averted his face, making a point not to look at me, but not before I saw the color racing up to fill his cheeks. He quickened his pace to move ahead of me.

"Like he said, it was about the duel" He muttered back.

I knew he was lying. The question was what was so embarrassing he didn't want to tell me?

I had to lengthen my strides to catch up and caught his wrist to slow him down. He tried to tug it out of my grasp but wasn't really applying any pressure and just ended up pulling me along.

I tried to stand still to halt his movement but he didn't slow down and I was forced to catch up again. Getting annoyed I yanked his arm back making him spin around to face me.

"You're lying." I put my hands on my hips and cocked an eyebrow waiting for an answer. He looked down at me with an amused expression. I scowled up at him and a smirk spread across his face as he leaned down to whisper in my ear.

"Guess you'll never know will you?"

My mouth dropped open in shock and I felt my cheeks heating up. I felt a little flustered having him so close to me and hoped he would take it as anger.

He smirked at me one last time and continued walked. Please, like I would be put off that easily. I walked slowly letting the color ebb from my face.

When I felt relatively composed I ran back up to him and tugged on his arm lightly.

"Please tell me?" I tried to look up at him innocently but he wasn't buying it.

"Nope."

"Come on."

"Sorry."

"It can't be that bad."

"I didn't say it was."

"Then why won't you tell me?"

"Why do you need to know?"

"Curiosity?"

"That's hardly a good enough reason."

"Because you can't stand to see me upset at not knowing?"

"Actually it's kind of amusing."

"Because I could knock you out if you don't?"

"Then you'll really never find out."

"Because I could threaten it out of you?" I put my hand on my sword hilt for emphasis.

"You could, but you won't" He said matter of factly.

"You seem awfully sure of that."

"I am sure."

"You shouldn't be, I've done it before and I can do it again."

"Yes, but you won't now" He said confidently.

I was almost tempted to do it, just to prove him wrong, when in fact he was obviously right. I couldn't bring myself to do it, even as a joke. It made me realize yet again how much things had changed between us. That I was actually refraining from using violence...

"I'll annoy it out of you eventually so really you might as well tell me."

"Trust me, I'm not likely to get tired of you begging, it's such a rare occurrence that I intend to savour every moment of it."

"I am NOT begging."

"You most definitely are."

"Am not!"

"Are too."

"Not."

"Are."

"Not."

"Not."

"Are."

"Hah, so you admit it."

"I hate you."

"You're not exactly helping your case here." He said with a careless grin.

"Well what do you expect me to do? Sing your praises?"

"That doesn't sound like a bad idea actually."

"I was kidding John."

"You still suggested it, and how can I settle for anything less now?"

"Please tell me you're kidding."

"Here, I'll even help you out." He cleared his throat and I listened, horrified. "How about Charming? Dashing? Handsome?"

"Don't flatter yourself John" I scoffed.

"Now now, that's no way to get what you want..." He trailed off.

I shot him an annoyed look. "I'm not saying that."

"You are if you want to know."

I kept my mouth shut and glared at him.

"I can't hear you..."

I let out a noise of frustration. "Fine! You're..." I gulped. This was bound to be humiliating. Was it even worth it?

"Sorry didn't catch that."

I looked at him reproachfully. "You're... charming" I shuddered. This was already nauseating.

"And...?"

Stupid Prince, he was obviously enjoying this way too much. I could feel myself blushing, from both embarrassment and anger. "...dashing... and... ugh... handsome" I spit out quickly. 

"And?"

I grimaced "...smart? ...Funny?"

"And?"

"Oh for goodness sake, what more do you want!"

He shrugged and smirked at me "I was just seeing how long you would go."

This time I really did have to keep myself from knocking him out. I swallowed back my retort and replied as calmly as I could. "Fine, I did it, now tell me."

"Um... no, I don't think I will."

"What? But you said!" I screamed indignantly.

He only laughed. Laughed! The nerve! "Well, I didn't think you'd actually do it."

"Urgg, you're impossible."

"Well, there's no need to be upset, I'm sure I can think of another way for you to convince me, unless you have another suggestion...?"

"Oh no, I'm never doing anything for you ever again! I hope you get attacked by a bear just so I can sit back and laugh!"

"Now that is not very nice."

We bickered on like this for over an hour with John getting increasingly smug while I got more and more frustrated.

Finally reaching my limit I stalking off to a nearby tree trunk and sat down, crossing my arms with a pout.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me." Childish, I know, but he wouldn't just leave me and keep going would he? And the more he refused, the more I wanted to know, though by now the effort hardly seemed worh it.

He turned to face me and cracked up. "You can't be serious."

I turned my face away defiantly and started feeling embarrassed. How did I get myself into this? So long pride.

I watched him from the corner of my eye to see a bemused look on his face as he walked over to me. Soon he was close enough that I could only make out his legs in front of me, and then he was squatting down so our eyes were level. Or would be if I turned around, but now we were close again and I had another reason to keep my face to the side.

He chuckled at my stubbornness and lifted a hand to turn my face towards him.

"Really Cece?" He teased.

Keeping my pout in place I leaned forward until there was only an inch of space between us.

"Pleeeease?" I whined, drawing out the sound.

His teasing expression disappeared and a look passed across his eyes, but it was too fast for me to place. His face flushed adorably and he quickly got up putting space between us.

He shook his head and when he faced me again had a mischievous look on his face. Uh oh, that couldn't be good.

Before I could register what was happening, he had swooped down and I suddenly found myself in the air. I let out a gasp as he threw me over his shoulder and started walking forward again as if I didn't weigh a thing.

I pounded on his back, but couldn't put any force into it since I was swaying rather dizzyingly.

Pleased with his joke, he seemed to be too busy laughing to even notice anyway.

I crossed my arms and waited for him to calm down. I started muttering curses under my breath which only made him laugh harder. Honestly it had to have been five minutes by now, was he ever going to let me down? I pounded on his back again with no result.

"John this isn't funny, put me down."

"Actually, I happen to think this is extremely funny, but since you asked so nicely, no."

I let out a noise of frustration. "Please put me down?" This is what I get for teasing him.

"Do you promise to keep walking?"

"Yes." Anything to get down from here.

"Good, now say it with your fingers uncrossed."

How did he know?

"Alright yes, I promise, happy? Can you let me down now?"

He chuckled and gently placed me on my feet.

I took a step forward and wobbled, still dizzy from being half upside down. I took another unsteady step and John started laughing yet again, not even bothering to help.

I glared at him. "I think I liked you before you started trying to be funny" I stated matter of factly.

He grinned "Well I guess you should have thought of that before coming to rescue me."

He started walking again and I grudgingly followed. I still wasn't ready to give up though, I wanted to know. And since I had already gone to such great embarrassing lengths it was only fair to tell me. Whatever it was couldn't be as bad as me losing my dignity could it?

I was lagging behind and ran to catch up.

Fine, I still had one trick left, though I was hesitant to use it... but I was desperate.

I linked my arm through his to get his attention and his gaze moved to me warily, though he didn't stop walking.

I smiled up at him innocently but he kept his mouth firmly shut. Still, I knew I was getting to him from the color rising in his cheeks.

I was finding I enjoyed teasing him, it was so easy to make him blush, and I found it rather cute how innocent he was... not that I'd ever tell him.

I stepped in front of him and stopped walking. He grimaced, but stopped walking as well and stared past me, not making eye contact.

I smirked at him and he crossed his arms defiantly.

"It can't be that bad John, for all the trouble you're going through to hide it" I teased.

He glanced at me but didn't say anything.

Before I had a chance to think about it too much, I draped my hands around his neck.

His eyes widened and he started blushing furiously, while his hands went seemingly automatically to rest on my waist. The embrace we were in now reminded me of our dance lesson so many nights ago and I suddenly felt self conscious.

I didn't want to think too much of it, since things had gone all wrong that night, but this was somehow different. Maybe it was the bright day that made it seem less intense and so much more comfortable.

I felt a pang of guilt that I was only doing this to make him tell me something, but no, it wasn't just that, it felt like it was... real. A real moment. An almost intimate moment. Between me and... John?

I couldn't wrap my head around that idea and instead focused on him. He looked bewildered and flushed, but no longer embarrassed. In fact, other than a little confusion he seemed perfectly confident in our near embrace. It was almost unsettling.  

Almost.

I smiled sweetly while leaning in close to him and had the satisfaction of seeing his face flood abruptly with color. He gave up trying to hide the blush and met my eyes with a resigned look on his face.

"Now will you tell me?"

He looked down at me cautiously and I felt his grip tighten on my waist. "Fine, but don't overreact."

I scoffed at him, please, why would I overreact?

He stared at me uncertainly a moment longer, as if trying to gage what my reaction might be.

Well, we wouldn't know until he told me. But either way, whatever he was looking for he seemed to have found because he didn't let go of me to run behind a tree or anything for protection.

"He said.. um.. that uh.."

His nervousness was back and he couldn't look me in the eye anymore. His face became, if possible, even more red, and he took a deep breath before looking at me again.

"He said..."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

141 16 12
"Do you remember when I tried to sneak a kiss from you when we were children?" "Your Highness, I don't think this is the most appropriate time to rem...
15.9K 386 15
"If you look anymore perfect, I will lock you up in my room And I assure you, you won't be able to walk for days after that." It was every girl's dre...
562 1 24
"𝑲𝒊𝒔𝒔 𝒎𝒆 𝒐𝒓 𝒍𝒆𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒎𝒆." 𝑶𝒏𝒚𝒙 𝑮𝒂𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒆𝒍𝒍𝒆 𝑱𝒐𝒉𝒏𝒔𝒐𝒏 doesn't know what it's like to have someone love her. She wants to f...
485 98 22
It was a day like any other day. Claire and Selina were together, talking about the reoccurring dream Claire kept having. Little did they know, ever...