When It's Time to Move On

By saimcheeda

The story about a dying man who gets another chance at life. Or rather four. Four doors that lead him to diff... More

Prologue
The Hospital - Chapter 1 - Bad News
The Station - Chapter 2 - Who are you?
Door 1 - Chapter 3 - Where Am I?
Door 1 - Chapter 4 - This Beautiful Life
Door 1 - Chapter 5 - The Stranger
Door 1 - Chapter 6 - Lost in the Mist
Door 1 - Chapter 7 - His Story
Door 1 - Chapter 8 - New Starts
Door 1 - Chapter 9 - Expectations
Door 1 - Chapter 10 - The Poor Woman
Door 1 - Chapter 11 - Broken Lives
Door 1 - Chapter 12 - Reaching Out
Door 1 - Chapter 13 - Leaving This Behind
The Station - Chapter 14 - What was that?
Door 2 - Chapter 15 - Wasteland
Door 2 - Chapter 16 - Standoff
Door 2 - Chapter 17 - His Story
Door 2 - Chapter 18 - Sergio
Door 2 - Chapter 19 - Someplace Safe
Door 2 - Chapter 20 - Cleansing
Door 2 - Chapter 21 - Remember
Door 2 - Chapter 22 - Faith
Door 2 - Chapter 23 - Wake up
Door 2 - Chapter 24 - Goodbye
Door 2 - Chapter 25 - Innocence
Door 2 - Chapter 26 - Don't Forget
The Station - Chapter 27 - Why me?
Door 3 - Chapter 28 - Once Again
Door 3 - Chapter 29 - All Those Years Ago
Door 3 - Chapter 30 - Desperation
Door 3 - Chapter 31 - Positive
Door 3 - Chapter 32 - Importance
Door 3 - Chapter 33 - Finer Things in Life
Door 3 - Chapter 34 - Choosing to Live
Door 3 - Chapter 35 - Her Story
Door 3 - Chapter 36 - Thank You
Door 3 - Chapter 37 - Roslin
Door 3 - Chapter 38 - Understanding
Door 3 - Chapter 39 - How They Lived
Door 3 - Chapter 40 - Closure
Door 3 - Chapter 41 - A Smile Away
Door 3 - Chapter 42 - All of Them
The Station - Chapter 43 - Will you be with me?
Door 4 - Chapter 44 - A New Life
Door 4 - Chapter 45 - Search for Passion
Door 4 - Chapter 46 - Feelings Hour
Door 4 - Chapter 47 - Close Call
Door 4 - Chapter 48 - Hustling
Door 4 - Chapter 49 - Bonding
Door 4 - Chapter 50 - Her
Door 4 - Chapter 51 - Pink
Door 4 - Chapter 52 - Genius
Door 4 - Chapter 53 - Worth It
Door 4 - Chapter 54 - The Two of Us
Door 4 - Chapter 55 - Their Story
Door 4 - Chapter 56 - Longton
Door 4 - Chapter 57 - The Exhibit
The Station - Chapter 59 - What do you think now?
Door 5 - Chapter 60 - One Good Turn
The Station - Chapter 61 - Time to Move On
Epilogue - The Train

Door 4 - Chapter 58 - For the Last Time

39 4 4
By saimcheeda

They returned one more time to the farm to collect Huey's belongings. Zafina, being the lawyer she was, took the identification documents left behind by Huey's uncle. The employees at the farm weren't able to contact him; their best bet was to wait for his return and keep Huey somewhere he would be looked after.

He would stay with Harris until his uncle was located. Zafina assured them her firm would eventually locate his whereabouts. Meanwhile, Harris offered to place Huey in a school in the city. This way, Huey could stay with him and visit his uncle should they want to. Whatever would happen, they would figure something out, he thought. There was a newly seethed optimism in him that would not be extinguished.

The journey back was as bright as could be. Huey made peace with his parents' demise, visiting their memorial for the last time; Zafina called hers to let them know she would be returning soon.

Harris looked into the sky at night. There was a specific glow resonating from somewhere impossible to locate, and he knew it was for him. All he wished was for some extra time, his final chance to last just a while longer. His wishes were fulfilled each dawn as the sun rose up and another day greeted him.

Eventually, they were at crossroads. It was time to leave Zafina at her stop. Her path was the other way.

"Now, I don't want any crying, okay boys?" She said strictly, reverting to the snarky attitude she had when she first met them. "Of course when I leave, you two are free to cling to one another and drown down your sorrows."

Huey pretended to have an air of nonchalance.

"You'll be crying more than us. There are no cars around to drive you."

"I called a cab, Genius." Zafina retorted. The next minute, she and Huey were sharing an emotional hug goodbye. "Uh uh, no crying, I told you."

She removed the headscarf Huey had picked out for her at the clothing store and placed it around the boy's shoulders.

"But I bought this for you," said Huey.

"Yes, and I'll be coming back for it. I want you to keep it till then, and yes you still look great in pink," said Zafina raising her voice marginally for Harris's benefit. "Just wear it like this so you can have that action-hero pose."

Huey grinned in acceptance.

"I think those girls over there think I look good," he said and stepped away, leaving Zafina free to talk to Harris.

"That kid's starting to learn a bit about tact, huh?" she said.

"Yeah, have to keep an eye on him. If he's thinking about attention now, I don't know what he'll be like when he grows up," Harris replied. Then the mood shifted. "You be sure to take care of yourself."

"I'm offended you have to say that," she said teasingly. "You two remember to stay exactly this way next time I see you."

"If you want us to... just pray the police don't rough us up too much when we turn that jeep in."

"You have a lawyer in hand if things go far off. Don't worry."

"Worrying is something I won't do anymore. Not even about what your parents say when you meet them," said Harris. "And you'll talk to them, right?" He added.

Zafina laughed softly and gave him a slight prod to take off. Harris obliged and ushered Huey back into the jeep. Her reply came just before they left.

"The answer's Yes!"

Harris stopped short of putting his foot on the accelerator. For a moment, he had the crazy urge to step out and pull her in for an embrace. But he simply raised a hand to say goodbye and roared the car into life away into the road.

"What did she mean by that?" Huey asked.

Harris didn't reply.

Before they knew it, they were back in the city. Harris marveled at the contrast between his two arrivals. The first time, he'd been positive, yet unsure of what he wanted. This time, he could see everything that would be in store. 

Harris and Huey visited the places of the city he'd once been to alone; picking out settings for Huey's new room back home, taking him to the cinema or the arcade, or feeding him as much chicken as he liked. 

The people at the park, where Harris had begun his photography, were surprised to see him with a child of his own, but none could doubt the sheer adoration he held for the boy.

Zafina would call in some time later. Once she was there, she brought news of her transfer to the city's branch of her firm, so she could be close to the two of them. She also updated them on Huey's uncle's whereabouts; he was expected to return to Longton. It was then that Harris decided to take a big step forward.

"You're going to ask for your old job back? I thought you hated it," said Zafina. He had asked her to stay over at their place while he prepared to return to his former city.

"Remember what you said back at the wishing well? It's time to be responsible." He told her. "I'm going to ask for a part-time position and shift to their offices here. I'll also ask Huey's uncle to let him stay here."

"And now that you're not thinking just for yourself you're going to earn for someone else," she finished for him. "That's wonderful, Harris."

"Thanks, want to come in while I say goodbye to him?"

Huey was already in bed when they entered.

"Sleep well, and have a fantastic time with your head in the clouds." Harris wished the boy, ruffling his hair.

"He says that every night," said a bemused Huey to Zafina. "I keep telling him I'm not that young."

"Don't pretend you don't like it," Zafina called him out.

"Well, my flight's going to leave soon," Harris checked his watch.

"Before you leave... here."

Huey handed a frame to Harris. A picture of him and Zafina, the very same that had won Harris the exhibit.

"You gave me your sister's camera. I thought you'd want your masterpiece with you," said Huey, the camera Harris had bestowed upon him glinting at his bedside table. "Zafina got the frame, by the way, so it's a gift from the both of us."

"I'll take it with me wherever I go," said Harris, moved. He put the frame in his coat's pocket. "Now, I'm going to leave before you two convince me to stay."

He stood at the doorframe before departing. Huey and Zafina shared a laugh amongst themselves, and it was with a heavy heart that he looked at them. There was no room for speculation anymore -- this would be the last time he saw them in person. He didn't break his gaze for a long time, hoping to etch this moment in his memory beyond doubt. Outside the window, a glow of light beckoned, and this time, he felt its urge.

He tore himself away from the door. But with a final act of weakness, he turned back. There was a silence in the room that was only broken by the sound of Harris's heavy sigh. He put a hand over his heart, feeling the frame against it, and patted the spot. It was clear Huey and Zafina received the message. And with that, he was gone.

Harris had no clue how quickly the plane ride passed and he found himself standing before Mr. Littman once more. But it felt like he'd been transported there in the blink of an eye.

"So you will be working in the office over there." Mr. Littman said. "I'm happy to hear that, and the part-time shift should give you enough time to pursue your other interests. I heard you entered a photography showcase. But why return?"

"I need to be responsible, sir, and if I can balance between passion and responsibility, that's enough for me. Also, I never thanked you properly. You took me in when I really needed work, and I really appreciate that."

Mr. Littman shook Harris's hand with a look of splendid surprise.

"And they say personal growth is a myth," he commented. "You're welcome. I'll have your papers prepared for transfer. So, if you'll excuse me."

Harris's phone rang just as Mr. Littman left.

"Hi, couldn't wait for you to call, did you get the job?" Zafina asked.

"Yeah, all set," Harris replied, controlling his voice, aware that at any moment it would be the last time he heard hers.

"So, one more...Congratulations!" Both Huey and Zafina yelled happily on the phone.

"Thank you," he responded, pushing the phone a little away from his ear. He breathed heavily, taking out the frame from his pocket to look at their picture. "One last thing, I want you guys to know that it's because of you that my search is finally over..."

But there was no reply. The air he let out of his lungs was released into a quiet world. Outside the door, he knew Mr. Littman had completed the proceedings, but he would never return. 

Because it was all done. Whatever he was meant to find, he had. His stay had been graciously extended, and he had nothing but gratitude for it.

Harris turned toward the door he'd entered through long ago. The knob shone brightly, a light was visible through the keyhole; there was a sunny sky waiting for him beyond. Harris put his hand on the knob, the final time he would walk out of a door. 

Yet, on this occasion, he did not turn back to gaze at the world he would leave behind. Instead, he closed his eyes and remembered all he had seen.

With another long breath, he turned the knob. The hallway had returned, so luminous that it evaporated all sorrow from him. It felt like a beckoning toward a warm embrace. His face lighting up into a smile, Harris walked out, closing the door behind him for the last time.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.8K 4.8K 27
Emily and River meet in Miami, where they have the time of their lives, but it isn't meant to be: the next morning, Emily leaves for San Francisco, l...
129K 2.2K 34
ᴇ ɴ ᴅ ᴜ ʀ ᴇ ; ᴄᴀʀʀʏ ᴏɴ ᴇᴠᴇɴ ᴡʜᴇɴ ɪᴛ ʜᴜʀᴛꜱ. ʙʀɪᴇʟʟᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟᴇꜱ. ꜰᴀᴍɪʟʏ, ꜱᴏᴍᴇᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴇᴠᴇʀʏᴏɴᴇ ʏᴇᴀʀɴꜱ ꜰᴏʀ, ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏʀᴀʟʟᴇꜱ ᴡᴇʀᴇ ᴏɴᴄᴇ ᴀ ᴄᴏᴍ...
111K 3.6K 15
After the death of her father, Ashley goes back to the garden they frequented when she was younger and discovers the magic that lies inside.
78.6K 3.2K 30
Cadence leaves an abusive boyfriend after years of abuse. She wants to find love, true love, can't live without you love! Can she make it through the...