Every Second [COMPLETED]

By joymoment

"Honestly one of the best books I've read" - mywayforme "I'll take it from here," Sebastian said. "Ms. Dawson... More

Dang! Check out that cast!
OH NO! 😱 Author's Note! Run for it!
Chapter 1 - "Well, it's about time!"
Chapter 2 - "The last album failed."
Chapter 3 - "Is this even real?"
Chapter 4 - "I would look terrible with facial hair."
Chapter 5 - "I'm a cat lady!"
Chapter 6 - "Your parents must be really proud."
Chapter 7 - "Hey troublemaker."
Chapter 8 - "Sebastian is not here."
Chapter 9 - "Who is this fool?"
Chapter 10 - "I'm off to face my death."
Chapter 12 - "Can I ask you a question?"
Chapter 13 - "He still has a girlfriend."
Chapter 14 - "You two are a bit too dramatic."
Chapter 15 - "I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Lennon Kayhill."
Chapter 16 - "What happened?"
Chapter 17 - "Do you want to throw on a shirt and we can get working?"
Chapter 18 - "You done?"
Chapter 19 - "Sebastian-"
Chapter 20 - "It's a long story."
Chapter 21 - "Would it help if I ran at you?"
Chapter 22 - "I've decided my only option is to go mad."
Chapter 23 - "How'd you escape?"
Chapter 24 - "I don't know why. Maybe it was my fault."
Chapter 25 - "You're forcing our friendship?"
Chapter 26 - "Hey Farewell!"
Chapter 27 - "And welcome home, I guess."
Chapter 28 - "How many girlfriends have you had?"
Chapter 29 - "Aims, I'll take your company in whatever form I can have it."
Chapter 30 - "I just forgot that, he's Sebastian Colfax."
Chapter 31 - "I didn't want to look too eager."
Chapter 32 - "Show offs."
Chapter 33 - "Say something."
Chapter 34 - "I did the right thing?"
Chapter 35 - "Dance with me."
Chapter 36 - "Smooth. I give it a ten out of ten for tact."
Chapter 37 - "Aims, I don't want you to get hurt."
Chapter 38 - "I never wanted this!"
Chapter 39 - "I can't! You don't understand. I can't do this!"
Chapter 40 - "I wouldn't bail."
Chapter 41 - "What are you doing here?"
Chapter 42 - "Five months isn't that long."
Chapter 43 - "Priorities change."
Chapter 44 - "I miss you, Aims."
Chapter 45 - "I actually don't believe you."
Chapter 46 - "Don't forget me."
Chapter 47 - "Only forty days left until I see you again."
Chapter 48 - "Was it worth waiting five months?"
Chapter 49 - "Aims. I have a confession to make."
Epilogue
An Honest Thank You!
When Amelia Met Will (Deleted Scene)
Amelia's Final Work Day with Sebastian (Deleted Scene)
Amelia meeting Charlie in D.C. over tour (Deleted Scene)

Chapter 11 - "I believe in you and I'll wear ear plugs."

46.1K 2.6K 637
By joymoment

Amelia looked around the empty classroom. She had no students to tutor today. Most of them had already taken their final that day and left for Christmas break. She glanced at her watch and decided she would wait ten more minutes before leaving.

Perched on a rolling stool, she pushed hard on the ground and went sailing backwards. She turned and repeated the action. She was turning back around when a figure appeared out of nowhere. Amelia let out a surprised shriek and toppled off the seat. Sebastian and Jones moved quickly over to where she lay.

"Sorry to startle you. I thought you heard us," Sebastian said, helping her up.

To cover her burning cheeks, Amelia bent and brushed off imaginary dust from her pants.

"It's fine, I was lost in thought about my chances of making it completely to the other side of the room on the stool."

Sebastian nodded as if this was a normal thing to be thinking about.

"It's just me today then?" Sebastian asked, looking around the room.

"Appears so. Everyone else is probably finishing up their finals now. Some of them were moved up in case the blizzard shuts down the city," Amelia said. "It's supposedly said to hit tonight, so it makes sense. I decided to stick around just in case someone needed my help. Since it's just you, do you want to play on the actual drum set?"

"Sure, if you think I won't kill people's ears with my playing?"

"I believe in you and I'll wear ear plugs."

Sebastian smiled. He settled himself behind the full size drum set and hesitantly started playing. Amelia waved her hands after a few seconds.

"Sebastian, the drums aren't going to bite you. Hitting them lightly will change nothing. I know making that much noise is daunting but don't worry. Only Jones and I will really be able to hear you. So whack away," Amelia said, giving him a friendly smile.

Sebastian started playing again, the room thundering with the sound of beating drums and crashing cymbals.

A few minutes later Amelia was explaining a specific beat to him when the door to the drum room opened.

"Hey troublemaker."

Amelia spun around. Will stood right inside the room, smiling, a small black suitcase at his feet.

"Will!" Amelia said, racing over to him.

His strong arms wrapped around her, lifting her feet off the ground.   

"What are you doing here?" she asked.

"Your grandmother told me you wouldn't be in London until the day after New Years," he said. "I decided I didn't want to spend Christmas in a drafty castle with people who bore me to death. So I bought the first flight I could find and got on it. Which reminds me, I have nowhere to stay. You have any suggestions for a lonely traveler?"

"Duh, you're staying with us. You're family and being so, I'm sure Charlie will have no problem giving you his room," Amelia said.

"How kind of Charles."

Sebastian moved towards them.    

"Sorry," Amelia said. "Will this is Sebastian. Sebastian, Will."

"William Ashford the fifth," Will said, stretching out his hand.

Sebastian took it.

"Sebastian Colfax," he said.

A symphony of beeps echoed through the room, pulling everyone's attention away. Amelia dug out her phone from her pocket and read the alert on her front screen.

"What's wrong?" Will asked.

"The blizzard that was suppose to hit tonight, came early," she said. "They're announcing that everyone should head home. It's apparently worse than they thought it would be."   

"We need to leave," Jones said, moving over to Sebastian.

Sebastian nodded, but didn't make any sign of leaving. His gaze was locked on Amelia and Will.

"The subways are going to be crazy with everyone trying to get home," Amelia said. "I'm going to see if there are any Ubers or Lyfts close to us. Dang it!"   

"Nothing available?" Will guessed.

Amelia nodded. A gray haired man stuck his head through the doorway.

"School is closing up. Everyone needs to head home," he said.

"Okay, thanks," Amelia said.

"You'll both come with me," Sebastian said.

Amelia gave him a surprised look.

"Thanks, but my apartment is half way across the city," she said. "I'll try a cab company."

"Just come to my apartment," Sebastian said. "It's closer and you can stay there until the storm blows over."

Amelia went to argue.

"I'm not listening to arguments," Sebastian said.

Amelia nodded, "Thank you."

*************

Sebastian's apartment was quiet and dim as they stepped inside.

"Nice place you got here," Will said.

"Thanks. It's not a castle, but I still like it," Sebastian said.

"Castles are overrated and not nearly as great as they pretend to be," Will said.

"You learn something new everyday, I guess. I'll show you were you can put that down," Sebastian said, gesturing to Will's suitcase.

Amelia and Will followed Sebastian into the hallway and the first door on the left. The room's setup was simple with a desk, chest of drawers, bed and nightstand. Will lifted his suitcase onto the bed and unzipped it.

"Do you mind if I take a shower? I reek of airplane and it does not seem to fit me all that well," Will said.

"Sure. The bathrooms the next door over. Towels are in the cupboard," Sebastian said.

Will walked over to Sebastian and shook his hand.

"Thank you," Will said, sincerely.

"Of course."

Amelia followed Sebastian back to the living room.

"I still expected to see Jules or Dodger on the couch when we arrived. But I guess since their part is done, I won't see them again for awhile" Amelia said.

"You'll see them at the New Years party," Sebastian said.

His eyebrows raised as Amelia gave him a confused look.

"Sorry, I thought you would have known by now. I'm throwing a New Years party and you're invited. Actually you, your brother, Poppy and Will too, if he would like to come."

"Thanks," Amelia said, surprised.

"You should have an official invite waiting for you at home with all the information. All the writers will be there so you will get your chance to say your farewells."

"Thanks."   

An uncertain, awkward silence fell between them.

"You mind if I make some tea?" Amelia asked, pointing to the kitchen.

"Please, go right ahead. Make yourself at home."

Amelia and Sebastian bustled around each other as the silence bustled around them. Amelia was pulling down a box of tea when her eyes landed on a plate of Christmas cookies and a loaf bread sprinkled with sugar.

"What's this?" she asked. "I don't think I've ever seen any sugary food in your apartment before."   

"It's my neighbors attempts to get an invitation into my apartment," Sebastian said. "They arrived this morning, both from different tenants."

She laughed then bit her lip when Sebastian just looked at her.

"Sorry, I was just imaging what that must have looked like," she said.

"It's not as fun as you would think," he said with a hint of a smile.

"Well their stupidity is our treat!"

Amelia's phone started ringing and she pulled it out.

"Hi Charlie."   

"Aims are you alright?"

"Yeah Charlie, I'm fine."

She quickly explained what had happened and how Will came to be in New York. Charlie sighed as she finished.

"I know it's probably for the best but I really wish you were home," he said.

"I know, I do too but at least we're safe and that's all that matters," she said.

"Yeah, I know. I'll see you when this is over. Be safe."

"Always. Love you Charlie."

"Love you Aims."

The line went dead and she tucked her phone away, slightly frowning. She turned and found Sebastian watching her.

"You okay?" he asked.

"I don't like the fact that he's alone," she said.

"From what it sounded like, he doesn't like the fact that you're here either."       

"Yeah, he's kind of protective that way."

"Then he's a good brother."

"You have no idea how true those words are," Amelia said, smiling.

"Anything I can help with?" Will asked, walking out of the hallway a few minutes later.

Sebastian and Amelia were already seated in the living room with a fresh pot of tea.

"No, just come sit," Amelia said. "I know you're completely useless when it comes to anything that common folk do, so we did it without you."

She instinctively ducked as Will swiped at the back of her head as he passed. He joined her on the couch, Sebastian sat in the armchair to their left.

"This is good," Sebastian said, after taking a sip of the hot liquid.

Amelia laughed.

"Yeah, because you are probably having your first correctly made pot of tea," Amelia joked.

"I usually don't drink any caffeinated drinks, but I like this," Sebastian said, taking another sip.

Amelia and Will went into long monologues about tea and how it was sometimes the only good part of their day. Amelia relaxed with Will there and Will, having the ability to feel at ease where ever he went, made for great company. Their playful, easy friendship kept the conversation flowing, pulling Sebastian in.

****************

"We should probably eat something more substantial than coconut bread and cookies," Sebastian said, a few hours later.

He reached down and started clearing away the almost empty plate of Christmas cookies. Will and Amelia roused themselves and followed suit.

"What do we want to eat for dinner? I'm guessing ordering something is unlikely in this weather," Amelia said, stacking plates into the dishwasher.

Will bent down next to her, adding the last plate and Amelia smiled at him.

"Good job, William. Look at you helping the commoners," she said.

He nudged her with his shoulder and she stumbled into the side of the counter, laughing.

"It helps my image to be seen doing such mundane jobs," he said.

Amelia tossed a dish rag at Will's head, hitting him full in the face.   

"I have to say, my cooking ability is limited to spaghetti, French toast, eggs," Amelia said told Sebastian. "Mind you, they are really amazing eggs and decent toast. William on the other hand has no culinary expertise what's so ever."

"How's it my fault if I grew up with a cook and multiple servants?" Will argued.

"Oh poor baby Will, he had everything given to him and has no real value to add to this group," Amelia teased.

Will crossed the kitchen and had Amelia in a head lock in less than a second, his hand rumpling her hair. He released her a second later. Strands of her hair had fallen lose from her pony tail, giving her a wide, disheveled look. Amelia spun on him and started slapping his face in quick succession. Sebastian watched the two of them, amused.

"Amy quit it!" Will said, laughter ringing in his voice.

With one final tap against his cheek, Amelia stopped. They looked at each other, smiles breaking their faces.

"I've missed you my dear Amy," Will said, laughing.

He pulled her into a hug and smacked his lips on the top of her head.

"Where were we?" Amelia asked, fixing her hair.

"I would love French toast," Will announced.

"Do you have syrup?" Amelia asked Sebastian.

"No, Jones might though, give me a second," he said.

Sebastian left the apartment, and returned seconds later with a bottle of syrup.

"Hooray!" Will and Amelia shouted in unison.

The apartment filled with the warm smell of cinnamon as Amelia laid the egg soaked bread on the griddle, the French toast sizzling on the well buttered pan.

"Does Will actually live in a castle?" Sebastian asked.

He stood next to a bar stool on the opposite side of the counter, his arms settled on top of the granite. She looked up at him, but couldn't spot Will.

"Where's Will?" she asked.

"He had to take a call," he said.

Will stood at the far edge of the room, facing the window, his body rigid, his hand dragging itself through his hair.

"So does he live in a castle?" he asked.

"Not exactly. You know those large manors in tv shows and movies out in the country?"

Sebastian nodded.

"It's more like that. All of his relatives meet up at the manor they own and spend the holidays together. It's a huge event and lasts for over a week. Will hates it."

Sebastian nodded again, as if it was completely natural to hate parties and visiting relatives. Through their pause they heard Will say formally, "Yes, sir, I understand."

"Sounds like he's talking to an employer," Sebastian said.

"Nope, just his father," Amelia said, sympathetically.

Sebastian looked at her puzzled but didn't say anything. Will pocketed his phone and walked back to the kitchen.

"Your father finally realize you weren't home?" Amelia asked.

"Yes. I think he's actually relieved we don't have to see each other over the holidays," Will said, shrugging away the comment.

Amelia gave him an apologetic smile and he returned it with a tight lipped one.

Will had once said to her that the softest part of his father had been his mother. Without her, his father couldn't find that side of himself again.

***************

"Amelia, you can have Liv's room," Sebastian said after they were done cleaning up dinner.

"Olive has her own room?" Amelia asked.

She bit her lower lip when the words came out before she thought about it.

"I keep strange hours and have been a restless sleeper recently. Besides I didn't have enough room in my closet for her clothes," Sebastian joked.

Amelia nodded as she looked around the large room, simple decorated room.

"Do you think she would mind if I borrowed something to sleep in?" she asked.

She guessed Olive would mind, but Amelia didn't want to sleep in jeans. Sebastian shook his head and walked over to a large chest of drawers by the door, Amelia following. Will leaned against the door frame.

Sebastian pulled open the top drawer and froze. Amelia peered over his shoulder, her stomach clenching at the sight. It was empty. The muscle in Sebastian's jaw tightened before he pushed the drawer back in. He turned to face them with a calm look, though his eyes betrayed a storm of emotions. He gave a small smile.

"I forgot, she mentioned something about taking her clothes home to be replaced. Something about being too worn out," Sebastian said, not meeting either of their eyes.

Amelia and Will exchanged a look, but didn't say anything. They could both tell it was a lie. Sebastian eyes darted to the closet but he made no movement to go open it. Amelia understood why.

"Amy, I have an undershirt you can sleep in and you can borrow my pajama pants. I can sleep in anything," Will said, breaking the intense silence.

"Awesome, thanks," Amelia said.

Will turned away from the door, Amelia taking a few quick steps to catch up with him. Sebastian stayed behind, his expression dazed. By the time Will had handed Amelia the clothing items, Sebastian was at the door.

"I hope you both get some sleep. I'll see you in the morning," he said. "Thanks for making dinner, Amelia."

His face was a controlled mask that seemed to be holding itself together out of sheer determination.

"Of course. Night Sebastian, thanks again for everything," Amelia said, softly, wanting to say more but pushing the words down.

"Thanks. Sleep well," Will echoed.

Sebastian walked into his room, closing the door behind him. Amelia and Will looked at each other, their own worry mirrored in each other's eyes.

**********************************************************************

Top of the morning to ya! (Unless it's not morning than top of the time of day to ya!)

Blizzards are crazy! I used to live in California and had absolutely no idea what snow was like until I moved to the East Coast. I love snow! I think it's beautiful and magical, but getting 3 feet of snow in a couple of hours is straight up cray!

Vote, comment, follow! What is your favorite season?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.8K 370 18
✨️ONC 2023 Shortlisted✨️ 'And I knew then, with an earth-shattering certainty, that everything I'd worked for, strived for, suffered for, had just tu...
2.3K 121 31
I fell for a boy with the kindest blue eyes, and a charming dimple. He made me feel loved, and cared for, and most importantly he made me feel safe i...
200 31 29
/dɪˈlɪəriəm/ /dɪˈlɪriəm/ [uncountable] a mental state where somebody becomes excited and not able to think or speak clearly, usually because of illne...
56.9K 2.9K 83
"Can we stop feeling guilty, Amelia? Guilty for all the things that weren't our fault." "We can Leo. Maybe someday." "That day isn't far off Amelia...