Every Second [COMPLETED]

By joymoment

"Honestly one of the best books I've read" - mywayforme "I'll take it from here," Sebastian said. "Ms. Dawson... More

Dang! Check out that cast!
OH NO! 😱 Author's Note! Run for it!
Chapter 1 - "Well, it's about time!"
Chapter 2 - "The last album failed."
Chapter 3 - "Is this even real?"
Chapter 4 - "I would look terrible with facial hair."
Chapter 5 - "I'm a cat lady!"
Chapter 6 - "Your parents must be really proud."
Chapter 7 - "Hey troublemaker."
Chapter 8 - "Sebastian is not here."
Chapter 9 - "Who is this fool?"
Chapter 11 - "I believe in you and I'll wear ear plugs."
Chapter 12 - "Can I ask you a question?"
Chapter 13 - "He still has a girlfriend."
Chapter 14 - "You two are a bit too dramatic."
Chapter 15 - "I'd like you to meet my girlfriend, Lennon Kayhill."
Chapter 16 - "What happened?"
Chapter 17 - "Do you want to throw on a shirt and we can get working?"
Chapter 18 - "You done?"
Chapter 19 - "Sebastian-"
Chapter 20 - "It's a long story."
Chapter 21 - "Would it help if I ran at you?"
Chapter 22 - "I've decided my only option is to go mad."
Chapter 23 - "How'd you escape?"
Chapter 24 - "I don't know why. Maybe it was my fault."
Chapter 25 - "You're forcing our friendship?"
Chapter 26 - "Hey Farewell!"
Chapter 27 - "And welcome home, I guess."
Chapter 28 - "How many girlfriends have you had?"
Chapter 29 - "Aims, I'll take your company in whatever form I can have it."
Chapter 30 - "I just forgot that, he's Sebastian Colfax."
Chapter 31 - "I didn't want to look too eager."
Chapter 32 - "Show offs."
Chapter 33 - "Say something."
Chapter 34 - "I did the right thing?"
Chapter 35 - "Dance with me."
Chapter 36 - "Smooth. I give it a ten out of ten for tact."
Chapter 37 - "Aims, I don't want you to get hurt."
Chapter 38 - "I never wanted this!"
Chapter 39 - "I can't! You don't understand. I can't do this!"
Chapter 40 - "I wouldn't bail."
Chapter 41 - "What are you doing here?"
Chapter 42 - "Five months isn't that long."
Chapter 43 - "Priorities change."
Chapter 44 - "I miss you, Aims."
Chapter 45 - "I actually don't believe you."
Chapter 46 - "Don't forget me."
Chapter 47 - "Only forty days left until I see you again."
Chapter 48 - "Was it worth waiting five months?"
Chapter 49 - "Aims. I have a confession to make."
Epilogue
An Honest Thank You!
When Amelia Met Will (Deleted Scene)
Amelia's Final Work Day with Sebastian (Deleted Scene)
Amelia meeting Charlie in D.C. over tour (Deleted Scene)

Chapter 10 - "I'm off to face my death."

47.6K 2.5K 757
By joymoment

"Drat!" Amelia said, staring down at her watch.

The sudden exclamation startled Sebastian's attention away from a spot on the floor.   

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"Yeah," she muttered. "Gosh dang it! Why did I agree?"

She dragged her hand down her face, annoyance at herself bringing a frown to her features. She met Sebastian's waiting expression and sighed heavily.

"I have to go," she said quietly.

"I'm sorry?"

"I have a blind date," Amelia said, resigned.

A hint of amusement flashed in Sebastian's eyes.

Amelia, Dodger and Jules had been relieved to find that Sebastian's mood had taken a one-eighty turn after Winston's party, his intense, but more tolerable self showing back up.

"Go ahead and laugh. I'm kicking myself for agreeing," Amelia said.

"Why'd you agree?" he asked.

"I had a mild curiosity about who Poppy would set me up with. Now I'm rethinking my decision."

"Of agreeing?"       

"No. My decision of ever becoming her friend."

Sebastian nodded.

"Well, good luck on your date," he said.

Amelia collected her tea cup from the coffee table and followed Sebastian out of the music room. The apartment smelled faintly of coffee and cinnamon. Jules was on the couch. Her eyes flickered to them in surprise as they stepped out of the hallway.

"Another break?" Jules asked.

"No, Amelia has a date," Sebastian said.

"Really? With who?" Jules asked.

"I don't know," Amelia said.

"Oooh! A blind date, how fun!" Jules said.

"Yeah, if you like awkward conversations, uncomfortable silence and eating in front of someone you don't know. Yeah, it sounds like fun!" Amelia said.

"Come on, it can't be that bad. I'm sure you been on lots of dates before. Just smile and flirt a little. It will go fine," Jules said, encouragingly.

"I have a question for you. Do I strike you as the type of person who naturally flirts?" Amelia asked.

She watched as both Jules and Sebastian studied her, coming to the same conclusions. Hair in a ponytail, wearing a Beatles t-shirt and jeans, Amelia didn't make for a very flirty looking girl. Jules's deflated slightly.

"No. You don't," Sebastian said.

"Maybe he will be a big talker and you won't have to worry," Jules said, though even her face betrayed that this was unlikely.

Amelia sighed and pulled on her coat.

"I'm off to face my death," she said.

"Good luck," Jules called as the door swung closed.

**********

Amelia trudged out of her room, wearing a new silky shirt Poppy had given her a year ago and skinny jeans.

"What do you think?" she asked.

Charlie looked up from his computer. He walked over to inspect her, bringing with him the scent of ink and heavily worded textbook pages.

"It looks too good. Do you have anything a little more ugly? Perhaps something that has one or two stains on it and is the color puce?" he said.

"I thought about that, but Poppy would just make me change outfits with her in the bathroom and you know her's would look worse than mine."

"Wait, Poppy will be there?"

"Yup, on her own date. Though I expect it's just to make sure I don't spill, spit or slap my date. Which is a real bummer because I was planning on doing all three to bring the date to a quick end."

"Well Aims, at least now you will learn your lesson about not agreeing to whatever Poppy suggests."

Charlie placed his hands on her shoulders, his voice taking on a lecturing tone.

"The next time she does try to make you agree to something I advice you cover your ears, close your eyes and run away. If you happen to hit a wall and fall unconscious, all the better. You can't agree to do stupid things when your unconscious."

"Or in a coma."   

"Exactly."

They both exchanged laughing smiles and Amelia's shoulders relaxed.   

"What about you? Where is your hot date for the night?" she asked.

"Already in my room."

Amelia raised her eyebrows in a scandalized expression.

"Yup, no one knows how to make me happy quite like my bed."

"At least one of us will find happiness tonight," Amelia laughed.

"That's exactly right. Don't think that even if he's good looking you can bring him home."

"Charlie, if good looks was all it took for me to like someone, I would have fallen for Reynolds long ago. But you know me. It takes more than a handsome face to make me swoon."

"Yeah, but sometimes good looks can make you forget yourself."

Amelia placed a consoling hand on her brother's shoulder and stared at him intently.

"If he's good looking, I promise I'll spill a drink on him and be home before you know it."

The smile Charlie pulled out was a wonderful blend of pride and amusement.

"So what do you think?" Amelia said, stepping back.

"Like I should have knocked you out before you could agree to this date."

"I completely agree."

***********

A man exiting the bar held open the heavy wooden door for Amelia. Laughter joined hands with boisterous voices, making the restaurant ring with a good natured feeling of friendship. The subtle scent of alcohol tangled together with the smell of fried food and wafted through the air, hanging heavy around large groups of uproarious customers. Tall tables and stools filled the main portion of the area, while booths with high, leather backs lined the walls.

Amelia zig zagged through the tumult of voices, searching for Poppy. A hand reached out and pulled her up short. Spinning, Amelia found Poppy smiling behind her.

"Hey, I'm surprised you came, I had a sinking feeling you ditch tonight," Poppy said, raising her voice so she was heard over the frat boys current chant of chug chug chug.

"The thought had crossed my mind. Why in the world did you choose this place?" Amelia asked, leaning into Poppy.

"I didn't. He suggested it."

Amelia eyes narrowed. Poppy gave her a weak, apologetic smile.

"I have a bad feeling about this," Amelia said, holding back a groan.

"He just texted and said he would be here in a few minutes. Do you want to get a table?"

"Are we doing a double date?"

"No, but at least you don't have to be waiting around when he gets here."

A tall, dark haired guy with deep brown eyes moved to stand behind Poppy.

"Hey, we going to get a table?" he said, putting an arm around Poppy.

"Of course!" She turned back to Amelia and squeezed her hand. "Good luck! Nice shirt by the way."

Poppy and her date turned away and were absorbed by the large crowd. Amelia moved to an open table and slung her coat over the back of a stool. A bright eyed waitress appeared at her elbow.

"Hi, welcome to Harvey's. Can I start you out with something to drink?"

"Ginger ale."       

"I'll be right back with that."

Amelia rested against the table, her feet nervously tapping the metal bar of the stool. Around her friends shouted at shared jokes and called for more drinks to quench their thirst.   

"Amelia?"

Amelia turned to see a lanky guy standing beside her table. She nodded, and relief relaxed his anxious features.

"I'm Trevor," he said.

Amelia took the outstretched hand with a friendly smile.

"You want to sit down?" she asked.

"Yeah," he said, looking slightly embarrassed that she had to suggest it.

The waitress returned with Amelia's drink and took Trevor's order. Returning a second later with a beer.

An uncertain pause inched between them as Trevor took in the surroundings, his expression one of mild curiosity. Amelia's feet started tapping again.   

"You still in school?" Amelia asked, cringing at her own words.

"I go to NYU. I'm in my third year."

"That's interesting. What's your major?"

"English literature. I'm planning to be a writer."

After a pause that Amelia decided not to fight, Trevor coughed.

"Where do you go?" he finally asked.

"Juilliard."

"With Poppy?"

Amelia nodded.

"How do you know Poppy?"

"My family and her family have known each other the last five years. I talk to her sometimes when I'm forced to attend brunches. I avoid them when at all possible," Trevor said, with an impish grin.

"I can understand your resistance to the brunches, having attended one myself," Amelia joked. "What made you choose this place?"   

"I actually haven't been here before. A friend suggested it. Obviously, it was not the right place," he said.

Amelia gave him a reassuring smile.

After half of Trevor's beer was gone, his shyness retreated and Amelia found herself laughing easily at his poorly phrased jokes. Though as the night wore on, they found there was very little they had in common. By the time the check was signed and goodbyes were in order, Trevor didn't suggest another date. Amelia waved as Trevor left.

"How'd it go?" Poppy asked eagerly, sliding into Trevor's empty chair.

"Good."   

"Wow! Please stop, you're killing me with all these details."

"What do you want me to say Pops? You paired me with someone who I have absolutely nothing in common with. Except maybe the fact that we both can count on one hand the amount of dates we have been on."    

"I was hoping that could be the thing you bonded over," Poppy said.

Amelia's laughter joined the ringing of the surrounding tables.

"I appreciate your utter lack of faith in me Pops, but I'm not going to agree to anymore blind dates. Now go back to that extremely good looking date of yours and I will see you later," Amelia said, sliding off her stool and pulling on her coat.

"Fine. I'm sorry, if that makes you feel better."

"You know, it does."

She hugged Poppy and left the bar, walking out into the cold winter night, relieved the night was over.

****************

A week later Amelia found herself outside a karaoke bar. Even from on the sidewalk she could hear the off key tones of someone botching one of the classics. She pulled the door open and stepped into the warm confines.    Round tables filled the space, packed with college students, groups of forty something women and a smattering of trios and couples.

A long bar stretched across the right wall, stools filled with an assortment of woman and men all laughing at the current singer. Amelia looked around and nodded as she spotted Jules waving her over. As she approached the table crowded with all the writers and Sebastian, Jules stood.

"Hey! Glad you could make it. Here sit down. Dennie go find another seat," Jules said, kicking one of the writers out.

Amelia sat down, settled between Sebastian and Jules. Sebastian laughed beside her at something Dodger said and Amelia raised her eyebrows. His leaned back in his chair relaxed, as if a weight had lifted from his shoulders. A slightly harassed looking waitress appeared at their table.

"Hi, welcome to Riley's. Can I start you off with some drinks?"

The group went around offering up their orders. Amelia smiled when the waitress got to Sebastian and did a double take, her face working hard to stay neutral.

"I'll have beer," Sebastian said, ignoring the girl's reaction.

"A ginger ale," Amelia said.

"Come on Amelia, we're celebrating that all the songs for the album are written!" Jules said. "I guess you're not done. You're still stuck with this moody grump for awhile longer."

"Thanks, Jules." Sebastian said, smiling.

Amelia was startled by his easy manner.

"Come on, order something worth drinking," Jules said.

"Sorry, but I don't feel like being carded. Ginger ale will be fine," Amelia said.

The waitress  moved away with their list of orders.

"How old are you?" Sebastian asked.

He studied her face as if the answer had been written there the whole time and he had missed it.

"Twenty. My birthday is in March. How old are you?"

"Twenty-two. You seemed older to me."

"It's natural. A lot of people think I'm older than I am. I think it's cause I don't talk a lot. I come off seeming wise," Amelia said, the corner of her mouth curling up.

Sebastian gave her a small smile.

"I'm glad you could make it tonight. I know you're not done with the album, but you are part of the group now," he said.

"Well, thanks for inviting me."

The man on the stage finished and the crowd applauded loudly. Some of the writers stood and moved to the stage to pick songs.

"Bash, what are you singing tonight?" Jules asked.

"You know that's a bad decision," he said.

"Come on, what's the point of coming here if you don't knock people's socks off," Jules said.

"It's not happening Jules. You'll have to do the honors for me," Sebastian said.

"Party pooper."

He barked out a laugh. The waitress returned, heavy laden with a tray baring drinks. Everyone reached for their own.

"Here you go," Sebastian said, handing Amelia her ginger ale.

"Thanks. So how does it feel to be finished with a good portion of the album?" she asked.

"It's a relief. I can now fully focus on the instrumental arrangements and recording. That is a lot easier to deal with."

"Hopefully the instrumental part won't take too long," Amelia said.

"That's what I'm hoping," Sebastian said.

Dodger raised his glass.

"A toast! To the best album that we have ever created! May it win many Grammy's and be enjoyed by millions!" Dodger said.

"Here, here!!" the crowd cheered.

The night progressed with light conversations, interrupted by solo performances by everyone in the group. Amelia didn't find it surprising that most the writers could sing and the rest were better than the average person.   

Jules ended up performing one of Sebastian's own songs which got a loud outcry from the writers. Her reply had been that it was her favorite song and what did it matter if she happened to be the one who had written part of the melody.

Amelia's sides ached from laughing as Weston, the comedian of the writers, sang an Alicia Ellison song, his voice high and pitchy through the whole thing. Naomi and Luke performed Hey Farewell's duet from their third album, which brought a round of thundering applause when they finished, their performance genuine and sweet.

By the end of everyone's performances, the bar was loud with excited voices and slurred words. Empty plates littered the top of the tables and beer bottles and wine glasses dotted the spaces between them.

"Alright Bash, you're up," Dodger commanded.

"I'm not singing," Sebastian said.

He lounged back in his chair, arms crossed as if the matter was settled. This comment brought on a round of cat calls and taunting. Eventually, Sebastian grew annoyed and stood. The table exploded into a round of cheers. Sebastian wound his way through the maze of tables to the stage.

With his navy sweater and beanie sitting on the back of his head, he looked like any other guy who had gone up that night. He picked a song and a soft slow melody floated from the speakers. He stood casually, hands in his pockets, but even the relaxed posture couldn't hide a natural confidence he had on stage.

The audience hushed. Amelia felt struck by the silence that filled the room. It seemed impossible for the drunk crowd. Sebastian brought one hand up to the mic and started singing. His voice soft and low. The sound like a warm hug, a summers day, or a night spent by the fire. Amelia watched as the room melted to it, lulling everyone into a peaceful silence.

"Lovely never ever change
Keep that breathless charm
Won't you please arrange it
Cause I love you
Just the way you look tonight
Just the way you look tonight."

The song drifted to the end and no one breathed for a heart beat. Then the writers went wild, clapping loudly and slamming their hands down on the table. The crowd joined in. Sebastian's smile was small with controlled amusement, as he stepped off the stage and made his way back to the table.

He grabbed his coat and pulled it on, Jones suddenly by his side. Amelia was taken aback at his haste to leave. She then glanced around and noticed that looks being exchanged and the whisper of his name humming in the air.

"Thanks everyone for a great night and an even greater album. I'll see you all later," Sebastian said.

Everyone called out goodbyes and went back to their conversations. Amelia watched as Sebastian made his way towards the door, Jones's large bulk hindering anyone who thought of following them.

**********************************************************************

Well, hello there!

Okay, worst date you have ever been on? I'm super curious, so please don't hold back on the details! I would tell you mine, but shocker! I have never been on a date. Yes, I know it's crazy, but it's the truth.

Also The Canadian Victors were based on the band All American Rejects! See what I did there? 😉

Vote, comment, follow. Share your worst date story so I can live vicariously through you!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

191K 6.9K 33
I thought I was happy. I thought my life was perfect. I realised how wrong I was when I met her. ~~~ Melody started a new school 3 years ago and sinc...
2.2K 121 31
I fell for a boy with the kindest blue eyes, and a charming dimple. He made me feel loved, and cared for, and most importantly he made me feel safe i...
228K 8.3K 99
#1 - Shocks & #1 - Drums 6-10-20 #1 - Guitar 14/2/20 "Why did you come here tonight?" He whispers, looking down at my lips in frustration. He's fight...
200 31 29
/dɪˈlɪəriəm/ /dɪˈlɪriəm/ [uncountable] a mental state where somebody becomes excited and not able to think or speak clearly, usually because of illne...