Ravenclaw's Shadow

By xXMade2LoveXx

Aurelia Dunmore is in her fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Other than being a bit of... More

Teaser
Teaser #2
Teaser #3
Teaser #4
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74

Chapter 1

4.6K 149 26
By xXMade2LoveXx

**Aurelia's POV**

My head is aching. The kind of ache that feels like someone has wrapped a steel band around your head and is pulling it tight. I want nothing more but to get out of this forsaken classroom and get some fresh air.

I hold still, listening for the bell, as if I could miss it. I can hear the scratching of pens around me and sigh. I'm going to regret not doing this work now.

I take these few moments of silence to look around at my classmates. Not many people just sit back and look at people, but it's one of my favourite things to do, just to look at people and study what they do. For example Lola right now is carefully shaping all her letters to mimic those of Georgiana's. Nobody else would notice that Fred isn't actually writing, but actually sketching an owl and Kia has already finished her work and has begun reading a book.

I look out the window. The sun is shining and it looks hot. I wish even harder for the bell to ring. My head starts to throb and I close my eyes trying to make it stop, but it just intensifies. I take a long deep breath and my stomach snarls and raises its ravenous head, awaking from its dormant haze, furious that it has been left empty for so much time.

Surely, the bell must ring soon!

I look down at my watch and my stomach roars in anguish. Ten minutes left.

I take a deep breath and close my eyes focusing on taking slow breaths through my mouth. I can hear my watch ticking, slower than is normal, I'm sure.

I break at nine minutes left and leap to my feet.

"Professor!" I cry, "I have to go!"

McGonagall looks at me over her glasses and nods. I sweep my things into my arms and bolt from the room. Within a few minutes I'm outside, the fresh air washing away the musk of the classroom. I close my eyes and enjoy the feeling of the sun burning my skin. I hear the bell ring and head straight to the Great Hall. There is food set out on all the tables and I fly to the Ravenclaw table and start eating. By the time my classmates arrive I've already eaten six sandwiches and three apples.

"How can you eat so much?" Chrissie asks, crinkling her nose. I shrug and pull three paper bags out of my bag and fill them with food. I take another two sandwiches and eat them as I walk to the third floor. I walk into the Defence classroom and see Professor Lupin. He looks up as I walk in.

"Aurelia, how are you?" he asks. I sit on one of the desks and shrug.

"Fine," I reply, "I finished the werewolf essay. I'm glad I'm not you."

He laughs dryly.

"It's not the most pleasant thing in the world, I'll admit," he says, "but I'm sure there are worse things."

My stomach growls and I pull a sandwich out of my bag. Lupin frowns.

"You're hungry," he observes, "you ate all through my class yesterday and Professor McGonagall said you had to leave her class early. Have you been feeling okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I tell him, starting on an apple, "comfort eating, you know."

Lupin watches me for another moment then nods.

"Alright, was there any particular reason you came to see me?" he asks.

"Do I have to come next class?" I ask, "I read the next chapter and I'm pretty familiar with everything in it."

Lupin chuckles.

"I think it would look suspicious if I let you skip certain classes, I don't want to play favourites. Besides," he smiles at me, "I think you'll enjoy it."

I finish the apple and throw the core into his bin. As I take a bite of my second apple Lupin shakes his head.

"You don't look well," he comments, "how much time have you been spending in the sun?"

"At least ten minutes a day," I reply, "don't want to be low on vitamin D."

"How've you been sleeping at night?"

"Sleeping through every night."

"Aurelia," Lupin says seriously, "when did you last feed?"

"Last full moon," I reply, "that's why I've been so hungry. It's been a whole month."

"Come over here," he says. He lights the tip of his wand and looks at my eyes.

"Say 'ah'."

I open my mouth wide.

"Your throat is almost white," he says, putting his wand away, "and your pupils are turning red."

"I know," I sigh, "I need to feed soon. It's getting unbearable."

The bell rings for the end of lunch and Lupin sighs.

"We'll arrange something with Professor Dumbledore after class," he tells me, "for now, just try to control it, okay?"

"No, I thought I'd go on a rampage," I roll my eyes. I take my seat in the front row as my classmates begin filing in.

"Take a seat!" Lupin calls, "open your books to chapter fourteen."

"Vampires," Chrissie reads, "ew, gross!"

I roll my eyes.

"Mr Weasley, please move up the front," Lupin says, "and give that to me."

George hands him a small, black cube and sits down next to me.

"Right, what do we know about vampires?" Lupin asks, "Jessica, what are some muggle myths that you know about them?"

"Uh, well, they're dead," Jessica replies, "and they drink human blood, although they can survive on animal blood, they hate crosses and garlic and don't have reflections."

"Good, who else is muggle born? Thomas, tells us some more."

"They're pale with dark hair and red eyes and they have long fangs," he says, "they get killed by direct sunlight, a wooden stake through the heart or being splashed with holy water. They can turn into bats; they sleep in coffins and are supposed to be really beautiful."

"The wizarding world has myths too," Lupin says, "how about a Gryffindor? Angelina, what are some vampire myths you know?"

"They're not magical," she says, "well, I mean, they're not like us, they can't be witches or wizards."

"Interesting," Lupin nods, "George?"

"They can't talk," he says uncertainly, "and... they feel like ice if you touch them. Sort of like ghosts."

"Well, these are all very interesting and not all of them are wrong," Lupin says, "does anyone know which of these myths are at least partially true?"

I raise my hand. Lupin nods.

"It depends if the vampire is born or made," I say.

"Born?" Chrissie asks, grimacing, "how can a vampire be born?"

"Good question," Lupin says, "vampire can be created or born. A vampire that is created is born human and is turned by a vampire, while a vampire that's born is, well, you all know where babies come from."

A wave of giggles crosses the classroom. Lupin smiles indulgently at us.

"But sir, vampires are dead, how can they give birth?" Chrissie asks.

"Vampires aren't technically dead," Lupin says, pacing across the classroom, "that's another myth. Vampires age about one year for every 10 human years. This means that they wouldn't age significantly in a human's lifespan, giving the impression of not aging at all. This gave to the myth that they are immortal."

"So, they're not dead and they don't live forever?" Chrissie asks. Lupin nods.

"So they can breed?" Lee pipes up, "can they breed with humans?"

"Why don't we make a list of the differences between made vampires and born vampires and compare them?" Lupin suggests, "who's read the chapter and done the notes?"

I raise my hand. I'm the only one. Lupin sighs.

"All right, Aurelia," he holds out a piece of chalk, "can you write up the two lists?"

I take the chalk with an inward sigh. I hate writing on the board.

Born

Can have children with both humans and vampires

When having a child with a human, there is a 50% chance the child will be a vampire

Born with dark hair, dark eyes and pale skin

Ten minutes of sunlight a day helps to build resistance to the sun. Can be exposed to the sun for long periods of time, though burn easily

Can go up to six weeks without blood

Can survive on human food between feeds

Fangs are fully retractable

Can be magical, if at least one parent is magical

Age at the same rate as humans until fully grown, approximately 17 for girls and 21 for boys, then aging slows down to the same rate as made vampires

Created

Can only have children with vampires

Children will always be vampires when mating with another made vampire

Retain human appearance, however skin will become lighter and more sensitive

Can only be exposed to sunlight for short periods of time

Need to feed more frequently

Cannot eat human food

Fangs can only be partially retracted

Only magical if turned after 17 and already have magical blood

Age 10 times more slowly than humans

I sit back down as the class reads the lists.

"Sir?" Chrissie waves her hand in the air, "how can a vampire be 'made'?"

"Does anyone know?" Lupin asks. I raise my hand. He rolls his eyes.

"Anyone other than Aurelia?" he asks.

"Is it because a curse?" Angelina guesses.

"No, but that's a good guess," Lupin says, "Aurelia, tell us how."

"It takes three or more clean bites," I say, "a clean bite means that the vampire doesn't take any blood, they just inject their venom."

"Couldn't another vampire suck the venom out?" Chrissie asks. I smirk.

"Not unless they want to die."

"One of the ways to kill a vampire is with another vampire's blood," Lupin says, "that and animal blood is poisonous to them. Does anyone know how else to kill a vampire?"

"Make them stay in direct sunlight for a long time, starve them of human blood, burn them," I say, "it's not easy to kill a vampire."

"What about the Killing Curse?" Alicia asks. Lupin nods.

"Good point," he says, "vampires aren't affected by magic the way we are. We can use it against them, however we can't kill or even seriously injure them."

"Unless you set one on fire," I add. Lupin laughs.

"Unless you set one on fire," he agrees, "that's one thing that makes vampires formidable opponents."

"Can vampires be magical, then?" Angelina asks.

"They can be," Lupin says, "a pure vampire has very little chance of being magical, however the offspring of a made vampire who was magical has the same chance as a witch or wizard who has a muggle or muggle born parent. Can anyone tell me the easiest way to identify a vampire? Okay, Aurelia, go ahead."

"It depends how recently they've fed," I say, "the more often they feed, the harder it is to identify them. It's a protective method. If they haven't fed for a while then their pupils will be red. The redder the pupils, the less you'd want to be around them."

"Trust the freak to be obsessed with vampires," Chrissie mutters. I feel my cheeks heat up.

"That's enough," Lupin says loudly. He sighs and checks his watch. I look at the clock and feel my stomach rumble.

"Alright, for homework read the chapter, and I mean actually read it this time," Lupin says firmly, "And I want a foot and a half essay on vampires. Points will be docked if you hand it in late."

There's an outbreak of grumbles from the class, but I've lost interest. My stomach is demanding food. The bell rings and I leap to my feet, slinging my bag over my shoulder. I'm at the door when I hear Lupin call me back.

"Aurelia, please stay behind for a moment."

I groan and step back so my classmates can leave. As the last of them leave Dumbledore walks in. He smiles at me and closes the door behind him.

"Professor Lupin was right," he says pleasantly, "you don't look well at all. Were you planning on going to Hogsmeade?"

"Uh, probably not," I say. He raises his eyebrows.

"I don't like going by myself," I admit. He chuckles to himself.

"I have a feeling you won't be," he says, "I think it would be best for you to go tonight."

"Alright," I agree, a little confused. Dumbledore nods.

"I'll let Professor Flitwick know," he says, "I'd better let you go, I'm sure you have someone more important to be talking to."

I duck out the door, thoroughly confused, and see George leaning against the wall opposite.

"Hey," he grins, pushing off the wall, "I hope what Chrissie said didn't upset you."

"That I'm a freak, you mean?" I ask, "of course not."

"Good," he nods, "you really know your stuff. On vampires, I mean. How do you know so much?"

"I study," I shrug, moving towards the Great Hall. George follows.

"So, are you going to Hogsmeade tomorrow?" he asks, walking next to me.

"Umm..."

"Do you want to go with me?"

I stop dead and stare at him.

"Are you asking me out?" I gasp, "on a date?"

He grins and shrugs.

"Yeah, I guess I am," he says, "so, how about it?"

"Yeah, okay," I agree, feeling thrilled. I don't have many friends and I've never been asked out. George's face lights up.

"Brilliant," he says, "do you want to sit with me at dinner?"

"Sure," I nod, feeling my stomach doing cartwheels. We walk down to the Great Hall together. I have to force myself not to grin like an idiot.

"You know everyone, right?" he asks. I nod. I recognise their faces and I know their names, but I'm not sure if they know me.

"George, pass the bread," one of the girls says. I feel sort of like an outsider. I'm not sure about this whole other-house thing. There's something that feels almost like I'm betraying Ravenclaw by being here, but then I begin to notice lots of people sitting at house tables that aren't their own and I feel a bit better.

"So, Anna, right?" Alicia asks, leaning towards me.

"Aurelia," I correct her.

"Aurelia, sorry," she says, "has the Ravenclaw Quidditch team started practicing yet?"

I can't help cracking a smile.

"I can't answer that, sorry," I tell her, "we want to win the cup this year."

She looks disappointed as she sits back in her seat.

"You're playing this weekend, right?" I ask, trying to keep the conversation going, "against Slytherin?"

"Yeah, do you have any dirt on them?" Alicia asks.

"Their seeker is injured," I shrug, "and from what I've heard their beaters aren't that great."

"Well, our beaters are pretty good," Alicia says, nudging Fred.

Someone clears their throat behind me and I turn around to see the captain of the Gryffindor team standing there, frowning.

"No discussing Quidditch with the enemy," he snarls before stalking off. I can't help laughing.

"Ignore him," George says, chuckling, "he takes Quidditch way too seriously. Garlic bread?"

"Oh, no thanks, I can't stand garlic," I say, crinkling my nose.

"Ooh, must be a vampire!" Angelina teases. I laugh. Angelina hands me the plain bread with a smile.

"So, we were thinking of having a party tonight," Alicia says, "want to come along?"

"Uhhh..." they're all looking at me expectantly. I can't blow off feeding tonight. I'm too hungry, and if I'm going to Hogsmeade tomorrow I won't be able to eat and I could lose it and bite George. And I don't really want to kill the first boy who's shown me any attention.

"I'm, um, actually helping Lupin with an, like, experiment tonight," I lie.

"Oh, what experiment?" Angelina asks. I feel my cheeks heat up and hope I don't go bright red.

"Umm, well, it's not so much an experiment as observation," I say quickly, "we're going to, um, observe, like, werewolves."

"What?" George gasps, while the others look horrified. I blush.

"My uncle is a werewolf," I tell them, "so I'm not really scared of them, so Lupin thought I could help him, maybe, and that it would be good to do it tonight, with the full moon and all."

They're all staring at me.

"Wow," Angelina says finally, "I'm glad I'm not going."

"Me too," Alicia agrees, "ah well, next time, yeah?"

"Definitely," I agree readily, "well, I'd better go and get ready..."

"See you tomorrow," George says meaningfully. I blush and smile at him, then hurry off. As soon as I'm out of the Hall I sigh loudly and head up to warn Lupin about the lie, then I head up to Ravenclaw tower. I won't leave until midnight, but I'll probably be gone until dawn, so I need to get as much of tonight's homework out of the way as possible.

_____________________________________________________________

First official chapter is out in celebration of my move to England! Love this place already!

Vote, comment, let me know what you think! Thanks for reading!Save & Publish

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154K 3.1K 22
Everything starts in third year of Hogwarts. Scarlett Stark is a halfblood witch from America with extraordinary powers. She is daughter of the geni...
3.2K 59 12
It was a sunny day when I was taken away from the only family I had left to have the power of a heartrender as a power. Still, I hid my true power de...
1M 42.8K 50
Being a single dad is difficult. Being a Formula 1 driver is also tricky. Charles Leclerc is living both situations and it's hard, especially since h...
2.7K 126 24
Going to Hogwarts one year later than her brother Severus Snape, Samantha meets his bullies, Sirius and James, becomes friends with Regulus Black an...