Saving Who?

By seemah870

She seeked solace in kneading dough and icing tiers of cakes, but Katherina Baker was given an ultimatum by h... More

Saving Who?
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 39
Chapter 40

Chapter 6

47.1K 1.6K 129
By seemah870

Chapter 6

When you think of your future, does it ever scare you? If you think really hard about it, it's literally all on you and how you want to build your life. What you want to be remembered for. IF you wanted to be remembered for something.

I will admit there was a good amount of time I thought I'd go to Brown and join the rest of the intelligent cliques that everyone else so desperately wanted to.

But I had a dream one night. A dream that I could wake up every day and do something I loved to do and smile most of the time. It was through baking and putting a smile on others face. Said dream was me in a tiny bakery in a village in the middle of the French mountains.

Every day people would come in and I'd magically be speaking fluent French, making them coffee and chatting about their days and giving them their favourite pastries. THAT was how I knew I needed to pursue it somehow.

When I did get to nana's house, Jon's car was parked already and nana's house was brightly lit, waiting for my arrival.

"We are DYING over here. Could you walk any slower?!" Jon pulled me into the living room.

Nana looked antsy, which was actually funny to her.

I took a deep breath and sat down on the sofa and powered up my laptop.

"Honey, whatever happens, we are both still proud of you." She smiled.

Nervously I gulped and shook my head indicating I understood because words were just really hard at the moment.

"It's two out of two!" I said excitedly.

"Which ones did you get?" Jon asked impatiently.

" I got New York and Florida. I didn't get Paris and the other one." I looked at my Nana.

"Well, I'm proud of you nonetheless honey. Which one do you want to go for?"

"New York City for sure. I'm sure they would have twinning programs for the summer or something to Paris. Besides, I'm sure Jon will be heading to NYU."

"Yea most probably. So.. how are you going to let your parents know?"

"I have no clue. I guess I'll just pack when the time comes, and just let them know and leave?"

"No, you can't do that. You need to let them know now. They still are your parents. Respecting them is important. "

"Fine. I'll let them know." Jon and I left after that and went our separate ways. I didn't know how to let them know I was going to be leaving. They already said they didn't care and wouldn't want anything to do with me.

Back in my room, I opened Sarah's decoy email and found that Talen had emailed again.

Sarah,

Is everything ok? I hope I didn't force you into coming onto Skype for the date. Sorry if I came on too much. I just enjoy our conversations. So much is lifted off my chest every time we talk. I hope I didn't ruin anything between us.

Talen. x

Dear god, he thought he ruined things?? Well, technically it kind of did ruin things between him and Sarah, but not between him and me. But because he thinks I am Sarah, he actually kinda did ruin things. What a mind fuck.

I knocked on Sarah's door and entered without waiting for her permission to enter. As usual, she was on the phone with the new flavor of the week.

"What do you think you're doing?" she hung up.

"Why did you have to make it seem like you didn't want to talk to Talen. Now he thinks that you don't like him. Jesus Sarah, why can't you just leave him alone if you want to mess around with other guys?" I yelled.

"We are not getting into this again Kat. I want him." she said proudly.

"Then you reply him from now on. I'm done with this." slamming the door, I leaned against it. I couldn't believe that I actually said that.

Honestly, I wasn't going to leave it be. I was going to keep replying him. I couldn't leave Talen be. He needed someone to share his true feelings with. Sarah won't even care. Right?

The next day, I told my parents that I had been accepted to culinary school.

"Leave then." my dad said quietly.

"What?" I said stunned.

"I want you to pack your things and leave to whichever city. I told you, we will be cutting you off if you decided to get into this. We were serious." he said in a matter of fact tone.

"So you'd rather have a daughter like Sarah? A useless one who does nothing but use your money and let any guy crawl into her?" I spat.

If they wanted me to leave, they might as well hear what I have to say.

"Watch your mouth young lady. She is your older sister. Respect her." my mother shouted.

"Respect is earned. I don't give it to anyone. Certainly to no one in this house. Just remember, the both of you chased me away." I said quietly.

I ran up to my room, and immediately texted Jon to come pick me up as fast as he could. I grabbed a duffel and placed only the essentials into my bag. My passport was in the safe in my parent's room. Without a sound, I dashed in and out then grabbed my bag. Jon had not arrived yet so I started walking down our immense driveway.

A pair of headlights started to approach and I knew it was Jon. I waved and he came to a halt in front of me. I wiped away the tears that I didn't even realize were streaming down my face.

"Get in. What the hell happened?"

"They cut me off and basically kicked me out. They want nothing to do with what I have planned. Take me to nana's" I sniffled.

"Just disgusting." he muttered with other colorful curses.

It was already midnight and I knew she'd be asleep. But I didn't want to crash at Jon's place. I knew his mom would ask why I came so late at night, and I didn't want the word to spread that my parents had kicked me out.

Ringing the door bell, we waited. Jon held me in a half hug. I could hear her coming down the stairs and the porch light came one. The door swung open and she squinted. When she saw the state I was in, she understood what happened immediately. Without a word, she hugged me.

"You did the right thing, Kat. You respected them, and informed them. They are just angry, and don't see it as you chasing your passion but being unstable. Now we can plan and figure things out step by step. You are not alone, you never have been and never will be. Not as long as I'm here. Thanks for bringing her over Jon." she kissed his forehead.

"No prob nana. Kat, I'll see you tomorrow ok? We will get through this." he hugged me and all I could manage to do was nod.

I got tucked into bed in one of her spare rooms. She sat on the edge and brushed the tears that were still falling. "I never knew they would be this bad nana. How unfair is it? I've never caused any trouble for them."

"Shhshh honey. It's going to be fine. Remember what I told you. Patience is key. Yes, it kills me to see you this way. Kills me to know that my own son whom I've raised turned out this way. But every dog has it's day." She decided to lie down with me and it made me feel a little better. All I remember was passing out from too much crying.

The next day, I woke up to excessive sunlight streaming onto my face. It felt like I had been drinking all night and now I'm having the world's worst hangover. I knew my eyes were swollen without even having to look in the mirror. Nana was obviously not asleep. She was an early riser.

After getting myself cleaned up, I went downstairs. I could hear her on the phone with someone. For the first time, I heard my nana raise her voice.

"How dare you treat her this way Arthur. How dare you." there was a pause.

"Shame on you for talking this way. Your father would be disappointed in you. Open your eyes boy, see the real problem child in your family. When you are ready to apologize, call me back." then she hung up.

"You can come out now. I know you're standing there." she said knowingly.

Sheepishly, I came out "That was him." I said not being able to bring myself to call him my dad.

"Yes, I called him. If anyone is to screw him over, it's me." she said happily.

"So, I have to pay the deposit for the school in order for me to accept their offer." I said awkwardly.

"Oh yes! Let's work this out. Come up with a list of things we would need. Classes start in a couple of months right?" with that, we sat down and started planning. I got bored so we brought the laptop into the kitchen so I could bake.

"So, I've contacted the real estate agent. She found something nice and cozy. Two bedroom, a fairly sized kitchen and a great view. I know you most probably have to stay in the dorms provided so I didn't want to go overboard. This way we can splurge on other things. We'll get a cute car also."

"That sounds amazing nan! I really can't wait." I smiled.

Change was something I definitely needed right now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

325K 3.4K 37
DISCLAIMER: this is not the whole story! Only 1/3 of the book is here on wattpad, the full version will be available as a paperback& ebook... (no rel...
244 4 19
[slow updates] The big house, maids and cooks. The fancy cars and rich lifestyle. It all sounds nice in theory. But all of the conditions it comes wi...
302K 10.4K 42
Book 1 | Completed | My name is Hayden Price. I'm an eighteen-year-old senior in high school. Oh, and I'm the quarterback of the football team. My li...
71 0 9
Morgan is going back to school, again. Studying to be a chef specializing in confectionery, Morgan's had an eventful and tumultuous start to life. Ev...