𝑩𝒐𝒖𝒏𝒅 𝑩𝒚 𝑩𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒅 |...

By SierraDuckland

❝𝘓𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘰𝘶𝘨𝘩, 𝘮𝘺 𝘥𝘦𝘢𝘳, 𝘣𝘶𝘵 𝘴𝘰 𝘢𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘶.❞ ... More

ᏢᎡᎾᎬᎷ
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29 - Part 1
Chapter 29 - Part 2
Chapter 30 - Part 1
Chapter 30 - Part 2
Chapter 30 - Part 3
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33 - Part 1
Chapter 33 - Part 2
Chapter 33 - Part 3
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45 - Part 1
Chapter 45 - Part 2
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Author's Note #1
Author's Note #2

Chapter 5

1K 41 40
By SierraDuckland

Laura

    The next two days following my adoptive mother's death passed by quick, quicker than I could've imagined. Friday rapidly became Saturday, and by the time I had realized that it was Sunday morning, the sun was starting to rise high up from over the horizon, casting a tangerine hue over the cerulean sky.

    I rolled over in bed onto my back, lifting my hand to shield my eyes from the luminous rays of sunshine beaming through the bedroom windows. I propped myself up on my elbows, and as soon as I grabbed my phone off of the end table next to me, I skimmed through the new notifications before my eyes landed on today's date.

Sunday, September 28.

    A smile decorated my lips. Today's my birthday, I can hardly believe it... I'm sixteen-years-old as of today, but I don't feel like I am. I placed my phone back down and rolled onto my back, my eyes glued to the ceiling above me. This week has been nothing but hellish, and that's only putting it lightly. What's gonna happen next? Am I gonna end up in a comatose state at the end of the day? I chuckled to myself. I highly doubt it.

Looking over to my right, I reached over and grabbed my brush off of the end table. I glided the brush's plastic bristles through my knotted tendrils of hair in a vain attempt to stop the whirlwind of thoughts racing through my mind. Why now? It's been sixteen years since she's given me away. She was the one who didn't want to have any contact with me after my adoption had been finalized. Why go to great lengths just to be able to see me? Well...I'm gonna find out why later today. I leaned over in my bed again, setting the hair brush back down on the end table.

    I threw back the bed covers and swung my legs over the edge of the bed, the tips of my toes touching the silky, smooth carpet beneath my feet. I don't have to be at the Northwest Adoption Exchange complex until ten o'clock. I have about an hour to spare before I have to get ready to go. So, I better make go use of my time and prepare myself a cup of coffee for once. Normally, I wasn't much of a coffee drinker. I was more of a tea lover by heart, but I decided to make an exception just for this morning.

    Dragging myself from the queen-sized bed, I made my way towards the door and opened it. Only to have an array of balloons toppling down on top of me, much to my surprise. The instant my line of sight had become clear once again, party horns were then blown ever so deafeningly, echoing and bouncing back off the walls of the four star apartment.

    "Surprise!" All of them yelled out in sync, Em and Tyler then unleashed the confetti from within their party poppers. "Happy Birthday Laura!"

    I used the palms of my hands to cover my ears momentarily, protecting my eardrums from the ear-piercing shrieks being produced by the horns as they finally died down. Uncovering my ears, my electric blue eyes landed on all five of the culprits responsible for generating such ear rape at eight thirty in the morning.

    A serene smile curled onto my lips once again, my tear filled eyes taking in my newly ornamented surroundings. Streamers were hung up all along the walls, contrasting against the dullness of the unadorned living room. Bundles of balloons were tied down to multiple balloon holders, scattered all throughout the room. Last and not least was the dining room. Sitting on top of the polished table top was a birthday cake, elegantly decorated from top to bottom. Plastic plates, forks, knives, and napkins were situated beside the cake, alongside all of the wrapped presents that I couldn't wait to open.

    I quickly wiped away the tears that threatened to pour from my eyes before anyone could notice. "Guys, you didn't have to do all of this." I gestured to the balloons, streamers, and other birthday decor they had adorned the interior of the apartment with. "Don't you think this is maybe a bit too much?"

    "Nonsense honey." Mrs. Nivans walked forward, halting in front of me. "Today is all about you, Laura. After all, you only turn sixteen once," she placed her hands on top of my shoulders. "And with everything that has happened to you in the past couple of days, you totally deserve this. Alright, birthday girl?"

    I nodded my head at her. "Aye aye, Mrs. Nivans."

    A cordial smile decorated her lips, pulling me into her warm embrace. "So if I hear another word about it from you young lady—so help me god—I'll go and grab the paddle from the truck and spank some sense into that brilliant noggin of yours. You, Piers, Tyler, and Emilie may not be kids anymore, but that doesn't mean that the four of you are safe from the wrath of the paddle." The two of us released our hold on one another.

    I couldn't help but chuckle at her forewarning. "Roger that ma'am," I saluted Mrs. Nivans, like any soldier would when paying their respects to their commanding officer.

    Mr. Nivans came over to his wife's side, wrapping his burly arm over her shoulder. "Trin, there's no need to worry about her giving us a hard time. You know as much as I do how much of a well-mannered young lady she is, even more civilized than the boys were when they were just wee devils in diapers."

    Tyler let out an annoyed groan. "Dad, we're literally right here! There's no need to act like we're not here."

    Mr. Nivans glanced back behind him, looking past his youngest son as if he was invisible. "Did you hear that, Trinity? I could've sworn that I heard someone just a moment ago."

    "A senior moment perhaps, hun? I have many reasons to believe that your age is finally starting to catch up with you," she replied, joining in on the hoax.

    Oh boy, here we go. An amused giggle escaped my lips.

    Tyler walked over towards his parents, standing in front of them whilst they continued to ignore his presence. "Okay guys. The joke's over. So y'all can stop now." He turned around, facing his older brother. "Come on, bro. Help me out. You can't leave me hanging here like this."

    Piers met his father's gaze, not sparing Tyler a single glance. "Sorry Dad, but I have to agree with Mom on this one. Your time in the military may have left you in better shape than most men your age, but it doesn't give you complete immunity from the drawbacks of elderliness."

    And just like that, he has turned his back on you, Tyler.

    "You of all people should know this better than anyone else, baldy," Em chimed in. "Old age is one of those things that are undoubtedly inevitable. You should consider yourself lucky that you haven't lost your mind yet."

    Mr. Nivans stared down at Em, "It's gonna take a lot more than just old age to make me go senile, midget."

    I couldn't contain my laughter anymore, it was just too damn hilarious. I doubled over, uncontrollably laughing my head off. I clutched ahold of my stomach, throbbing continuously with miniscule jolts of pain. My knees then gave out underneath me without warning, prompting my behind to collide rather harshly with the carpet covered floor. Five pairs of concerned eyes swiftly turned in my direction, landing on my fallen form.

    Emilie made her way over to me, holding her hand out. "Are you alright there, Lari?"

    Once I was able to calm down, I took a couple of deep breaths of much needed air. The pain that was once existent in my abdominal region finally began to subside. Grabbing ahold of her hand, she helped me back up into my own two feet. "I'm fine Em, trust me."

    I redirected my gaze over towards the Nivans family. "Alright guys, I think he's had enough," I quickly snuck a glance at the clock hanging on the wall. "I've only got about an hour before I need to head over to the adoption agency."

    Mrs. Nivans slightly narrowed her eyes, pressing her lips into a firm line for a split second before rapidly masking her anger behind her usual tranquil smile. Even though she would never admit it willingly to me, she had made it more than obvious that she bitterly resented my birth mother. The reason being was for quote unquote, "I can't believe that good-for-nothing tramp had the guts to give away such a beautiful and extraordinarily talented girl that any proud parent would be honored to raise and love."

    The only person in the world Mrs. Nivans would ever disclose ever disclose her personal opinion on the subject was with my adoptive mother; she was one of the many people who had shared similar if not the exact same views as her best friend. Well... that was before she had began to drown herself in one beer bottle after another. I came across this information by listening in on some of their private conversations from afar during my early tweens, more commonly referred to as the "spying phase" of my childhood. As much as I didn't want to admit it, this was how I found out that I was adopted.

    Em rested her forearm on my shoulder. "Then we shouldn't waste anymore time now, should we?"

    "Agreed," I said. "But first, I want some coffee."

* * *

    I slipped my arms through the sleeves of my new navy blue leather jacket, given to me as a gift from Mrs. Nivans. I examined myself in the mirror, checking out my appearance. The dark shade of my jacket nearly matched the color of my skinny jeans, hugging my curves in all the right places as well as contrasting against my obsidian long sleeve shirt and boots. Once I was done, I lifted my hair up for a brief moment and let Emilie clip my choker on around my neck first, then my feather necklace second. I tilted my head back, combing my finger through my hair and putting it up into a ponytail.

    The last half hour was spent eating cake for breakfast and opening the gifts that everyone had gotten for me, it warmed my heart knowing I wasn't all alone in this. I still had my friends, I still had the Nivans family, and they weren't gonna leave me anytime soon. It's because of them that I was able to keep my head above the sea of desolation that persistently threatened to drown me whole. I never realized until that moment I was truly lucky to have their love and support during such perilous times.

    I was never truly on my own.

    "...Laura? Laura!" The sound of Em's voice snapped me out of my trance.

    I turned around to face her. "You gonna be alright?"

    I nodded my head at her. "I'll be fine, I promise."

    The corners of Emilie's mouth slightly quirked down, looking away in an attempt to hide her frown. I reacted by grabbing ahold of both of her hands with mine. "Em, leaving to visit my birth mother doesn't change how I feel about you and Tyler. You guys are like family to me. No matter what happens," I used one hand to tug down the collar of my shirt, revealing the heart-shaped rainbow tattoo with the words 'Friends till the end' inscribed over it in cursive. "We'll always be friends till the end."

    Her genial smile curled back onto her lips, copying my gesture and showing off her matching tattoo as well. "Friends till the end."

    I pulled Emilie into my warm embrace, releasing my hold on her just as the bedroom door was opened.

    "You ready, Lari? Mom has been waiting for you in the truck." Tyler leaned against the door way, his beefy arms crossed over his chest.

    "If you don't hurry, she's gonna blow a fuse and change her mind about giving you a ride," Piers added.

    "And yet you wonder where you get your anger issues from," I grabbed my purse and phone off the bed, shoving my device into my pocket as I approached the Nivans brothers. "Okay, now I'm ready."

    "How long are you gonna be out for, goldie locks?"

    "Till eight, Snow White," I replied.

    I met Em's gaze. "Stay safe out there."

    "I will, trust me," I glanced back at the boys. "See y'all later. Lieutenant dickhead, take good care of Piers Junior will ya?" I walked out of the room, stifling my laughter upon hearing their failure of a comeback in response to my snarky comment.

* * *

    "Right this way, Miss Rose." The female social worker lead me down the hallway, escorting me to where my birth mother was waiting for me.

    It's happening. It's finally happening... I should be pissed off at her for giving me away all those years ago, yet I'm not. It's not like she left me in a cardboard box and abandoned me over by a dumpster. My birth mother had to have a good reason for relinquishing her parental rights over me, or else she wouldn't have done it. I need to know the truth, the only person that knows it is her. It would be a bad idea to ask her right off the bat. That would only make things awkward between us. When the time is right I'll ask her.

    When the two of us reached the waiting room, she kindly held the door open for me. "If there's anything else you need help with, let me know. I'll be over at the reception desk."

    I thanked her for her generosity, closing the door behind me. I glanced all around the room, scanning each empty chair until my eyes landed on the only occupied one. Her electric blue eyes immediately met my matching ones, quickly brimming with tears. She steadily rose from her seat, walking towards me one step at a time. Halting inches in front of me, her lips parted ever so slightly, her tear filled eyes flickering with disbelief. I didn't know that I was crying as well until I felt tears trickle down my cheeks.

    "Laura, is it really you...?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

93.8K 3.1K 29
꧁𝚁𝚎𝚜𝚒𝚍𝚎𝚗𝚝 𝙴𝚟𝚒𝚕 𝚅𝚊𝚛𝚒𝚘𝚞𝚜 𝚡 𝚁𝚎𝚊𝚍𝚎𝚛꧂ 𝙰 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚌𝚎 𝚎𝚗𝚌𝚘𝚞𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝚊𝚝 𝚊 𝚓𝚘𝚋 𝚏𝚊𝚒𝚛 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚞𝚜𝚝𝚜 𝚢𝚘𝚞 𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚘...
13 0 10
A tale that started back in a place further from home. A boy she remembers yet also forgets. Three years after returning to America, Selene finally f...
1.5K 26 35
Sequel to Thicker Than Blood! DISCLAIMER: This story doesn't fully follow the Resident Evil timeline and isn't meant to! Leon is assigned a mission t...
615 5 5
Lilian Walters, Lily to her friends, was nothing if not ordinary. She had good grades, numerous friends, and other than faking her family normalcy, s...