Aftermath [malexmale]

By rotXinXpieces

[Book 8] Xenon, one of the last remaining Atlantean gods, loathes gods and higher ups. It's why he prefers th... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Ten

63.3K 3.5K 2.8K
By rotXinXpieces

Chapter Ten

I woke up feeling like shit.

My head felt like someone had stuffed firecrackers into my ears and set them off all at once. Ears ringing and eyes crusted shut, the hot sunlight pouring in through my window to sear across my naked back, the sound of waves crashing on shore in the distance.

Worst of all was that I remembered everything that happened last night. It was easier to cope with it when I was drunk because I couldn't focus, but now I knew what I'd done and what Dorean had done. In my drunken stupor, I'd given Dorean permission to touch me, then I turned around and insulted him right after he told me that he liked me.

Damn, I'm really good at this socializing thing.

Not.

I grunted and buried my face against the bed sheets, groping around for a pillow before I found one and placed it over the back of my head so I was trapped between pillow and blankets and bed.

I couldn't believe I had done such a horrid thing, and that Dorean had actually even... And did he actually like me or was he caught up in the moment?

No. Dorean wasn't like that. When he said something, he meant it and while I knew I should be happy, and I really was, I still couldn't help the nagging at the back of my mind that something about it was dangerous. What if Hades really did take Dorean away, no matter what I did? Or what if something happened to Dorean and I never saw him again?

I couldn't go through with that again. I'd lost everything before. I wouldn't be able to survive if it happened again. Just thinking about it upset my stomach even further, to the point where I had to crawl out of bed and go to the toilet, hunching over and retching into it. I leaned against the toilet seat, struggling to catch my breath before wiping a hand across my face and slumping back against the wall. I heaved a heavy sigh, closing my eyes and tilting my head back against the tiled bathroom wall.

I did want to be with Dorean and while I tried to convince myself that my side was the safest place, it wasn't. Even worse, he had become a hindrance. If Hades could use Dorean to manipulate me, who else could do that when they figured out about him? I didn't even want to imagine what other dangerous entities could manipulate me because of Dorean's presence.

No, it was just too dangerous.

And bringing him here in the first place had been a horrible mistake. I didn't think I'd become this attached to him.

I sat there for a while longer before finally getting up, taking a quick shower and throwing on some jeans and a black t-shirt. I emerged from the room to the warmest scent of toasted bread and eggs, and hot rich coffee. I paused in the archway to the kitchen to see Dorean looking at a cook book while nibbling on toast. As soon as he caught me moving from the archway, his brows furrowed and he picked up his things, moving to the living room. I sighed wearily, moving into the kitchen to get some breakfast, munching down some toast and gulping a mug of coffee before I went to the living room.

Dorean sat on the sofa, flipping through channels, his empty plate sitting nearby. He was frowning, obviously still pissed off about last night.

What was I supposed to say?

The truth, I suppose.

Or close to it.

"If you want to go back to Adrian's, I can send you." I said at last. Dorean stiffened, then snapped the television off and grabbed his plate, heading into the kitchen and brushing past me as if I hadn't even spoken. I frowned, watching him go into the kitchen and wash off the dishes before sticking them into the dishwasher, using his tail to hit the button as he shot me a dirty look.

"Don't wanna." He answered briefly. I looked at him in confusion. Didn't he miss Adrian? And he said the only reason he didn't go apeshit on me for stealing him was because he liked me. Now that I had made certain there was nothing between us, surely there was no reason for him to stay.

"Dorean--"

"Nope," Dorean cut me off curtly as he pulled a piece of bread off the loaf he'd baked, "Staying here."

"Dorean, it's not safe. I think it's just best that, after the baby shower, you go back home to Adrian. He and Malachi can keep you safe--"

"No," Dorean repeated again, this time more firmly and he stepped right up to me, and even though he tilted his head back to look up at me, I felt like a Doberman cornered by a Chihuahua, "Go get ready, go to baby shower, be nice to Persephone and everyone else, then come back here and then we talk. Until then, I don't want to talk to you." I looked at him, bewildered.

"Dorean--"

"I said no," Dorean snapped, backing away from me now, "Just do it!" He left the kitchen before I could get another word in and I was still flabbergasted. What the hell just happened here? I could've sworn that I came in here with the intention to kick him out, to go back home where he belonged, but somehow, he'd cowed me into doing what he said. Any Dorean spoken to any other god in such a tone, they would have killed him on the spot, no if, ands, or buts about it.

And yet, for the life of I could not understand why he didn't piss me off. Not only did he rudely interrupt me, but he was bossing me around like we were already a couple. Like he was the god and I was the imp. I wanted to argue with him, I really did, but I also didn't want to ruin his excitement for the baby shower, so against all the instincts in my body telling me to just take him home now and get it over with, I couldn't bring myself to do it. Instead, I drifted to my room and changed from my casual clothes to something a little more formal. Something that didn't make me look like I'd just crawled out of a Goth club in Styx.

A black button up silk shirt, matching leather pants, buckled boots, and a long black jacket that buckled down the front. I picked up a pair of wrap-around shades and slide them over my eyes, raking my nails through my hair as I made my way out of the room, pausing in the foyer when I heard Dorean's door shut and he came down the hallway.

Dressed in a white turtleneck and black dress pants, with a small little white box decorated in glitter and a white sparkling bow, he looked positively angelic. I had to catch myself before I hit the floor, and much to my surprise, Dorean's expression was smug, like he knew exactly what I was thinking and he was taunting me. I frowned at him and he raised an eyebrow.

"Don't make such a scary face. We going to a party." He pointed out, taking me by the hand. I didn't know what to say to that. Since when had Dorean gotten so bold? Had Adrian put up with this kind of behavior? Had anyone? I didn't know what to say and when Dorean shot me an impatient stare, I had no other choice, but to teleport us to the palace of Hades.

His palace was gigantic and built into the side of a riotous mountain range that separated this realm from the next. It was made entirely of sleek marble that was the blackest of blacks before it faded to an emerald green toward the ceiling. The corridors were narrow and tall, at least by forty feet or something. The floors were made of black marble with the emerald green spider-webbing across the floor, glowing so it lit up the room more powerfully than the black modern lamps that lined the walls and were designed to look like skulls.

Yes, Hades tried his very hardest to seem like the evil lord of doom that most people assumed him to be, but quite honestly, he wasn't all that terrifying. He just portayed the image that people gave him because he didn't want anyone to mess with him, or his family. Despite his complaints about them, Hades was just like any other Greek.

Family was family. Touch one of them and you're gonna wish you were in Tartarus.

Of course, the evil doom and gloom faded once we reached the wide open doors to the throne room that was brimming with people. Decorated in a flora design, the trees decorated with ribbon and lace, little blue orbs floating around to provide more light to the room, it was definitely not a place you'd expect to see Hades. Everyone was there, including all of Hades's sons and their lovers and friends and friends' lovers.

I also spotted, much to my surprise, Demeter, standing near the long glass table that held all of the gifts. Demeter was a beautiful woman, tall and voluptuous with thick dark hair braided down her back with wheat intertwined with it. Her eyes were as gold as the fields she coveted. She wore a wool sweater and a long black skirt to a pair of spiked heels that threatened death to anyone who offended her, which wasn't actually that hard.

I noticed a couple other gods of Olympus paying a visit, much to my surprise. One of whom was Dionysus, which didn't surprise me too much considering he was one of those gods that hovered at parties. Dionysus was, not shocking, extremely handsome. His dark curly hair fell over a pair of piercing green eyes that matched the silk shirt he wore and a pair of black dress pants. He was hanging out near the fountain of wine with his brother, Hermes. Curly blonde hair and vivid blue eyes, Hermes was the messenger god and also a bit of a trickster. While not as evil as Ashter or Loki could be, he still had a tendency to be a bit dangerous when upset.

 "Dorean!" We turned to see Adrian coming in with Malachi, both wearing enough blue and white to blend in with the sky. Adrian came over and Dorean's mood brightened instantly as they embraced and Dorean even gave Adrian a little kiss on the cheek. I cocked my head at that. Dorean ignored me, though, and babbled to Adrian about what he'd gotten the baby. Their conversation faded as they left Malachi and I to stand there awkwardly.

"Adrian says you own Dorean." Malachi said at last. Might as well discuss that then.

"I also own a house." I deadpanned. Malachi flashed me an annoyed glare, which was only intensified by the fact that the sclera of his eyes were black and not white. It was a defect that stemmed from the fact that his mother was one of Persephone's personal dream goddesses to protect her in her sleep. One of whom Hades had raped and BOOM-- Malachi.

"Dorean isn't like a house." Malachi responded tightly. I nodded.

"No, he's not." I agreed briefly, hiding my clenching fists in the pockets of my jackets. I didn't want to start anything here, especially when Dorean seemed to be having so much fun. He was sitting at one of the many glass cafe tables, with Adrian, Noe, and Abel. Of course, Cain stood nearby listening to Theo and Cerberus, but was ever watchful of his brother, like a hawk watching its prey.

"Then why did you take him? He was perfectly fine where he was." Malachi muttered. We both went quiet as a scantily clad maiden drifted over to us with a tray of wine, which we both took with silent nods, before the maiden went to Demeter. We watched her go before I responded with a scoff.

"Take him back." I replied. Malachi gave me a dirty look.

"And now you're just tossing him out?"

"I wouldn't if Hades wasn't threatening him," I muttered, making Malachi look at me incredulously, "Hades needs me to do something stupid for him, and if I don't, he'll hurt Dorean. If Dorean's back at home, Hades can't hurt him anymore and Hades can't use me." Malachi studied me suspiciously for a moment, almost like he didn't believe me, then he looked away, taking a sip of wine.

"I saw the way you two came in here," He said, making me frown and look at him as he watched Dorean and Adrian laugh at something Abel said, "Dorean likes you. Even when he was with us, if someone so much as breathed your name, Dorean would be on his toes trying to listen in on what we were saying. He won't leave if he doesn't want to." I glared at him.

"That's why I'm asking you to take him home once this party is over."

"Didn't you hear me? If Dorean doesn't want to do something, he doesn't do it."

"He's an imp."

"He's Dorean. You should know by now after living with him for a couple days that telling him no is like trying to push a ten foot brick wall away. You're stuck with him."

"No," I said, voice strained with impatience, "He can't stay with me. It's too dangerous. He needs to be somewhere safe."

"Dorean's not a push-over."

"I know that."

"So," Malachi drawled, turning to face me fully, making me frown, "The only reason Hades managed to get his hands on Dorean is because Dorean let him. Not even Hades can make Dorean do something he doesn't want to do. If you try to make him leave, he'll only plant his feet in even further. And if someone tries to take you away from him, he'll bring down the wrath of hell on them." I didn't know what to say to that because I was stunned.

This little imp that everyone thought was naive and childish was actually a determined young adult, and even more so was to have someone back up Dorean's claim of actually liking me. A part of me wanted to swell with joy. I'd never had anyone like me the way Dorean did.

Unlike all my siblings who'd taken lovers, even my baby sister, Drulius, who was supposed to be the goddess of purity and virginity, I was the only one who'd never taken a lover. I never felt the need to because I just loved all of my followers, loved my realm. I didn't want to share that love with anyone else. And worst of all was having my siblings joke behind my back about how I was impotent. I wasn't. I just didn't particularly find an interest in such things.

But now with Dorean... Every time I closed my eyes, I saw him sitting there between my legs, his mouth wrapped around me and sucking sensually. It gave me goosebumps and sent my blood on fire. I could actually imagine myself holding him in my arms, savoring the soft feel of his skin against mine, his wings fluttering and tail coiling around my leg. His dainty little kisses that became more hot and demanding when he reached my lips. The scent of him alone was intoxicating.

What would it be like if that happened? Would I be able to live in peace?

No, I realized as a presence filled the room, and I saw Hades teleport in to speak to Demeter, who curled her lip in repungence at the sight of her brother. With people like Hades existing in this world, willing to do anything for themselves, I wouldn't be able to keep Dorean happy and safe and loved all at the same time. I was being given a choice.

And if keeping Dorean with me, loving him and making him happy, meant he could die the next day, I would rather him be unhappy and safe and hope he fell in love with someone else.

"Malachi," I said at last, making him glance at me, "I can't let Dorean get hurt. I lost my entire pantheon. I'm not going to lose something that precious to me again. Either you take Dorean with you peacefully, or I'll send him to you kicking and screaming." Malachi frowned.

"Xenon..." He started, but his voice trailed as Hades and Demeter made their way over to us. Hades was finally not wearing his armor for once. Instead, he was decked out in black from head to toe, an elbow-length turtleneck and snug fitting jeans with skull decorated Doc Martens. His long hair was pulled into a loose ponytail over his shoulder. He almost looked normal, if it wasn't for his freakishly god-like height that just almost met mine.

"Xenon," Hades said, then paused to give Malachi a look that made Malachi narrow his eyes before he left us to our private conversation, and Hades's icy gaze locked on me again, "Persephone is in her room tending to Blaine. He's been feverish since this morning."

"It's normal," Demeter assured, to which Hades gave her a glare of doubt that Demeter returned tenfold, "He's a male carrying your child. A fae carrying a god. I'd be concerned if he wasn't experiencing complications." Hades paled at that.

"Complications?" He repeated. Demeter shook her head, then looked at me.

"Can you believe him? He's worse than a mother. I would know. I am one," She added, then snorted and waved a hand idly in her face, "As the kids say these days, Hades, calm your tits. Blaine's perfectly fine... Except for the fact that he seems adamant in keeping my grand-baby." This time, her eyes met mine. A frown worked itself onto my face as I looked at Hades, who scowled at her.

"Is this even a good idea," I asked dryly, "In case you've forgotten, Blaine's first child was taken away from him and killed right in front of him. Even if you're the father, he doesn't trust you. You kept him locked in your evil dungeons for a few centuries."

"You did?" Demeter asked, her voice hard. Hades glared.

"Maybe if you didn't steal my wife for half the year, I wouldn't be tempted to take on side-whores."

"And maybe if you didn't steal my daughter, we wouldn't be in this situation, you half-wit--"

"Guys," I stressed, making them both glare at me, "As much as I want to see you rip each other open, we need to solve this. First of all, what is Persephone doing with Blaine?"

"Taking care of him," Demeter answered before Hades could, "She's been trying to get him comfortable. He's been in pain because the child is very powerful and using up most of his energy and not to mention, ready to be born in a few hours. Tomorrow morning at the latest. She's also trying to convince him that he'll have certain rights to the child."

"Like hell." Hades deadpanned. Demeter and I both glared at him and he returned the glare.

"What? He's my son too. I told Blaine in the beginning that the child would be with me once it was born and he agreed to the terms. He gave up his rights."

"That was before he spent nine months with the kid. Where were you?"

"Trying to keep the world from falling apart, maybe?"

"If I recall, it was your sons that nearly triggered the apocalypse in the first place."

"You know what--"

"Guys!" I snapped again. Hades clenched his teeth and Demeter just folded her arms over her chest, looking at Hades smugly. Hades shook his head and made slow up and down gestures with his hands, mostly to calm himself from killing his sister slash mother-in-law. Greeks were so difficult to follow.

"You hired me to make sure you got your child," I told Hades, who nodded, "That's all I'm supposed to do. After that, you are not to summon me again, do you understand?" There was a threat in my voice that very obviously pissed Hades off, but thankfully, he cared just about his own son than anything else and gave me a stiff, curt nod. I relaxed, but only a bit.

"Let's go see the expectant father then." Demeter decided. We teleported from the room and reappeared in Persephone's room, which sat deep within the castle, but up near the mountains. Her room was like an overgrown pavilion. The carpet was actually fresh green grass with spots of purple and yellow flowers. Trees held up a towering ceiling with a fake sky patched there, with moving clouds and everything. Her bed was a large canopy bed of clean green and brown sheets with brown drapes around it.

Persephone sat on the side of the bed, her strawberry blonde hair done up in a loose bun, while green eyes studying Blaine in concern. Blaine was sitting on the bed, propped against pillows. He looked incredibly pale, his dark hair sticking to his face with sweat, fever darkening his cheeks. His belly was swollen and tight, and from here, I could hear the baby writhing inside, desperate to escape the confines of the womb. In fact, I could hear its thoughts. Infant gods could form full thought processes by the time they reached eight months. It wasn't words, though.

Just pictures. Pictures and sounds, smells and tastes. It had experienced everything Blaine had experienced, including pain and sorrow. Every so often, the baby would cry out, making grasping motions, as if it wanted to soothe Blaine's suffering.

But it only made Blaine flinch and bite down on his arm enough to make it bleed.

"You look like crap." I told Blaine, making everyone else glare at me, but Blaine just laughed breathlessly at that, wincing a little as his blind eyes searched for the sourced of my voice.

"Yeah, I bet you do too."

"Good thing you're blind then, huh?"

"Tell me about it," Blaine replied with a smirk, then hissed past clenched teeth and slumped back against the headboard, "Ugh, Christ, I feel like it's trying to rip me open." I shook my head, even though he couldn't see it, and made my way to the bed side. Hades and Demeter both pulled Persephone back, like they couldn't stand the thought of me being near her.

"He's worried about you is all," I said, making Blaine look in my direction in confusion, "He feels your pain and frustration and he wants to comfort you." Blaine's eyes welled with unshed tears and Hades elbowed me, giving me a harsh glare that warned me not to get them closer. In fact, the point was to break them apart.

But how could I do such a thing? Blaine loved the kid, and even more, Ambrosius loved him too. He cried when Blaine cried and laughed when Blaine laughed. I'd never seen someone so in tune with another than this.

"When do you think he'll actually be ready?" I asked at last. Blaine wheezed for a moment, then swallowed hard and cocked his head.

"Fuck, I feel like he's ready now." He rasped, screwing his eyes shut and clenching his teeth. I glanced at Hades, who glared at me impatiently. Persephone just looked worried about Blaine. I don't think she really cared much whether the child was hers or not, because there was no denying that Blaine was, in a way, her child.

Persephone was a goddess of vegetation, of nature, the earth. And while Blaine was of Celtic descent, all creatures of nature held a special place in each other's hearts and it was clear that Persephone saw Blaine as more than just a surrogate.

I didn't want to have to break the bond between Blaine and Ambrosius, but Hades was threatening Dorean and because Dorean was a stubborn guy, he wasn't going to leave me on his own. I was backed into a corner and didn't know which way to turn. It made me wish my father were still around. He seemed to always know what to do in times of crisis. My chest tightened at that, but the feeling dissipated as if dumped with ice water when I saw Blaine's eyes flicker curiously as he tilted his head to look in my direction. I had almost forgotten he could sense emotions, even without his sight.

"Well," I said slowly, "He'll be gone by tomorrow." Blaine's fist twisted up in the sheets and the pain that screwed up his expression stung.

"He won't." He said past gritted teeth. Hades glared at him.

"I told you what would happen."

"And I told you to shut the fuck up." Blaine hissed. Hades stepped toward to bash his head in, but Persephone caught him by the arm and pulled him back, glaring at him. For once, Hades didn't back down and shot her a fierce glare, surprising both Demeter and I as he tore his arm from Persephone's grasp.

"He's my son. I will have him even if I have to rip him from the fae to get him." He snapped. Blaine made a choking sound of pain, tears welling up in his eyes before streaking down his face. Persephone flinched and shot Hades a dirty look, pushing him aside before going to Blaine's side. She sat on the bed and pulled his head against her shoulder so she could cradle him. Demeter caught Hades by the arm and dragged him from the room so they could talk in private. I frowned, watching them leave before turning back to Blaine, who was struggling to stop the flow of tears.

"You know he's right, Blaine." I stated monotonously. Persephone shot me a glare, but Blaine clung to her and she visibily relaxed as Blaine's eyes shifted upwards to seek me out.

"I know," His voice was choked with pain, "But..."

"You can have the next one," I said quietly, "You and Cerberus will be ready to have your own children in the future. Besides, if Ambrosius stays with you, your life will begin to crumble." Blaine looked at me in confusion, as did Persephone. I grimaced.

"Hades named him Ambrosius... and as a god of rebirth, I'm still considered a god of birth and destines. Ambrosius is destined for a long and dangerous path. And anyone who gets closely involved with him will suffer from it. You've suffered long enough, Blaine. Don't throw it all away because of a god."

"He's not just a god," Blaine whispered, "He's..." My baby. He didn't say the words, but I heard them loud and clear in his head. He hung his head, like he was ashamed for loving the child, but he shouldn't be. He had gone into the situation thinking he could handle it no problem, but now it was too late.

Blaine had agreed to Hades's terms in the beginning. Blaine had absolutely no say whatsoever. And if he tried to stop Hades, Hades would destroy him.

"I'm sorry, Blaine," I told him honestly, "I can't imagine how this feels a second time, but at least know that this time, Ambrosius will be well taken care of. While it may seem like Hades is the royal bastard he pretends to be, when it comes to his children, Hades would move heaven and earth for them. Especially Ambrosius. He won't be hurt by Hades." Blaine didn't look convinced, but he didn't have anything else to say. What could he say? Nothing. And that was it.

And his defeat was a pungent odor that turned me out the door. I shut it behind me, making Demeter and Hades look up from their argument. I gave Hades a droll stare.

"He knows." I told him flatly. Hades frowned, but said nothing. It surprised me. I expected a fist-pump or something. Demeter racked me with a suspicious glare, her arms folded over her chest.

"And we heard," She said sternly, "What is this dangerous path the child is meant to walk?" I frowned.

"That is not for me to say."

"Listen, you--"

"No," I cut her off in irritation, "Listen you. I can't see the tiniest details. I only see what the Fates allow me to see and right now, I'm seeing a dark shadow loom in Ambrosius's future. One with the heart of an angel and of fae. I'm not even sure if it's a bad thing. This is my interpretation of what I'm saying. I could be completely wrong and it could just be someone very special to him."

"I hope it's a woman." Hades deadpanned. Demeter stared at him coldly.

"I hope he's like your other sons."

"And I hope your hair turns gray."

"I hope you drown in the river Acheron."

"I hope you choke on--"

"Anyway," I drawled, making them glare at me, "I did what you asked me to. Call off your threat on Dorean and we'll call it even." Hades arched a brow and Demeter wrinkled her nose, arms folding over her chest.

"The imp?" She asked for confirmation, and Hades nodded, giving me an annoyed glare.

"You haven't completed your assignment."

"What--"

"Ambrosius has to be in my arms where he is safe. Then your imp is safe. But if something happens to my child, I'm going to rip your imp apart." Hades said icily. I twitched, wanting to rip his throat open. Why was it my job that he got his child? I wasn't a fucking stork. That wasn't my job, god of rebirth or not. I didn't do the deliveries. I wasn't even birthed myself. I was created, hence the lack of mother.

With nothing else to say that wouldn't get me or Dorean killed, I vanished from the stairwell and appeared back in the throne room where the party was still in full swing with delicate music playing from speakers hidden in the trees and people chattering brightly. They had no idea that it wasn't Persephone who was pregnant. It was a broken little faerie that just wanted to live his own life, as far away from the gods as he could. And yet, no matter where he ran, the gods would be there. And I felt that suffocating sensation down to the marrow of my bones.

I truly felt sorry for Blaine. His past had been a dark and cold one. No mother to cradle him to sleep at night, no father to show him his powers, no warm blankets, no presents, nothing. He'd reached for the light once, and was slapped by the man who called himself his lover. A pitiless so-called human that had no problem with being gay, but once he found out Blaine could get pregnant and was carrying their infant, the human called Henry flew into a rage, drugged Blaine, and using skills that would make a doctor faint in horror, he removed the child from Blaine's ruined womb and killed their child right in front of him. Suffering from severe PTSD, Blaine attacked Henry and killed him. He lost both his son and his lover in a matter of days. Then bounced from master to master, Blaine found himself with Cerberus.

I still remembered the day Blaine summoned me and pleaded for my help, which I couldn't give him. It wasn't just that what he asked me was impossible, but I knew that he and Cerberus were destined to be together. While at first their relationship was downright despicable, Blaine made Cerberus tender and Cerberus gave Blaine hope. Theirs was a difficult, but complementary chemistry.

But even the happiest of endings had a dark corner. In exchange of being freed from slavery and becoming Cerberus's lover, Hades bound Blaine to him for eternity to give birth to his heirs. Not one heir, but many more to come. How many more times would Hades call upon me to do this kind of thing?

I didn't even want to think about it. My heart already ached for the fae as he prepared to lose yet another infant at the hands of someone who fucked him over.

It was cruelty at its finest.

Disgusted with the whole thing, I went to Adrian, who was sitting at a table with Abel. Both of them instantly stopped speaking when they saw me. Abel's baby blue eyes flickered with instant dislike, which was mirrored by the glare Cain was giving me from the other side of the room. Adrian also looked annoyed to see me.

"What?" Wow. Could there be anymore ice in his tone?

"Dorean," I said curtly, "Where is he?" Adrian frowned.

"He went to use the bathroom. It's outside the door and down to the left," He said and I nodded my thanks, moving to leave, but Adrian got up and caught my jacket sleeve, making me shoot him a warning glare that he promptly ignored, "Malachi told me you were trying to give Dorean back to us because Hades was threatening him." Abel frowned at that, giving me a suspicious stare.

"Why would Hades be threatening you?" He asked. I gave him a droll stare, shrugging off Adrian's touch.

"Why does Hades threaten anyone?" I returned. Abel wrinkled his nose. Adrian watched me carefully.

"Do you really like Dorean?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." I answered tersely, then left them before they could question me further. While they had no problem flaunting their affections because they were technically Hades's circle of do not touch, I was excluded from that group and so far, my interest in Dorean has caused nothing, but trouble. Trouble that I couldn't afford to have right now.

I left the throne room and turned down the hallway, heading to the restrooms reserved for guests. I went inside, but no one was there. I frowned, checking each stall before returning to the throne room. Something felt wrong. Insanely wrong.

But Hades was here with Demeter again, speaking to Hermes as if nothing was wrong. I looked over at Adrian, who'd moved onto Malachi, discussing something that was making them both smile like a couple of idiots.

Everyone else was in here.

So where was Dorean?

A cold tingle shot up my spine, in indication that someone was summoning me. I cursed under my breath, looking around again. Maybe Dorean had gone the long way to see Persephone. But for some reason, I didn't believe that. The cold shudder came again, this time more insistent.

Without any other choice, I let the column of black smoke swallowed me, then drop me off into a familiar garden of bright vivid hyacinths. Rage swelled up inside me for a split second as my eyes landed on Callias, who stood silently near the fountain, wearing only his white transparent robes, then my eyes widened when I saw who was standing beside him.

Dorean.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.5M 64.3K 15
[Book 7] Akin prides himself in taming beasts, but when he comes across a monster that's been kicked one too many times, he finds the challenge he's...
963K 63.4K 31
God of Misfortune. What's one to do when this curse was bestowed upon your soul at creation? Rowan has that all figured out. Isolation is the solutio...
1.9M 99.9K 29
[Book 10] Raven takes his job seriously, so there's no way he has time for his own personal stalker, Devereaux, the Deadly Sin of Lust. But with war...
1.2M 71.7K 30
[Book 16] There are worse things than being dead, and right now, existing is that worst thing for Menoetius. Brought back to life against his will to...