Elizabeth, John's Sister (Hal...

By Autumnangel1197

A lost child, then another. In this universe, sometimes the craziest things can happen. All it takes is the... More

Chapter 1: Before the Freeze
Chapter 2: Waking Up
Chapter 3: The Fall of Reach and a Halo
Chapter 4: To the Ring
Chapter 5: Running Around a Ring
Chapter 6: Finding the Captain
Chapter 7: The Map Room
Chapter 8: The Control Room
Chapter 9: The Captain's Mistake
Chapter 10: Destroying the Ring
Chapter 11: Command and Capture
Chapter 12: The Trial and A Regret
Chapter 13: Delta
Chapter 14: Where Is My Grave?
Chapter 15: The Ark, And The Sinners
Chapter 16: The End of the Old Covenant
Chapter 17: The End of All Things
Chapter 19: Bittersweet Reunions
Chapter 20: What Comes from Disaster
Bonus Chapter: Team Zeta and Project Songbird/Gem
Chapter 21: Argent Moon
Chapter 22: Guardians and Meridian
Chapter 23- A Call To Order
Bonus 1- Malcolm
Bonus 2- Kate and Elizabeth, Staging Area
A/N

Chapter 18: Has it been that long?

229 3 1
By Autumnangel1197

So. I thought about it. I don't really want to do an in between chapter. I'll explain here what's happened over the four years and however much between the games. It's almost 5 years between each anyway so she's grown. 

"Team Zeta! Form Up!" I called from my chair. Rolling in front of all of them, I smiled a bit. 

"At ease. I need to discuss something with you all for a moment."

Faith had raised her hand. I acknowledged her. 

"Can we just sit down?"

I gave her a look, and she looked a bit nervous. "Sure...."

They moved over to their bunks, including Star. She just floated over hers, and landed carefully on the bed of her own design. 

"So what do you guys think about being a team so far?"

"We've just been training and going with you on missions to see the Arbiter. I think it's been pretty boring." Kate Barrett replied, sitting with her head on her hands, on the side of her bed. 

"It has been quite slow." Malcolm Beringer, the other ensign replied.

"Alright, well what about going on Infinity?"

"Wait, really? We're going on Infinity finally?!" Faith responded.

"Yep."

The four cheered, and I pulled a few beers out of the compartment to the side of my wheelchair. "On the house- some celebration is needed."

"For what?"

"I'm officially a captain." 

Faith spit out her drink. "WHAT?!"

"I'm a captain." I showed the eagle that showed my new rank. They all cheered, and pat me on the back. 

Meanwhile, our stuff was being transferred to a personal barracks for Team Zeta within the new ship. The ship caught a distress from Forward Unto Dawn, and we had to investigate. 

Team Zeta. Composed of myself, Star, Lieutenant Commander Faith Rose, Ensign Malcolm Beringer, and Ensign Kate Barrett. Faith was able to become invisible, and use any weapon as an assassin. Malcolm is a powerhouse, with dense and unbreakable bones, unbreakable skin, and superhuman strength. Kate was incredibly fast and could use almost any herb or plant for medicine. Star was still her engineer self. 

And I was still wheelchair bound, yet I could still lead. 

We all slept for the last time inside of our little bunker, which was a personal barracks for Team Zeta and Team Yellow, our sister team. The other team usually was out on missions, so we were usually alone. 

Getting onto Infinity, I was pushed by Star while Malcolm carried most of our gear. Both Faith and him were joking around, and I smiled, hearing my little team enjoying themselves. 

"Team Zeta..." I heard from the side. The admiral was right there. 

"Admiral, Sir!" Everyone snapped to attention, except Star and Malcolm. He was carrying too much stuff and my Engineer was not technically a part of the command structure, and only answered to me. 

"At ease. It's nice to see you Captain Doe."

"Good to see you too sir." I shook his hand, and smiled wide. He motioned me to follow him, so I had the team unpack in our barracks while Star and I came with him. 

"So, how is that wheelchair treating you?"

"It's... Not ideal."

"I understand. It's why you're going to be commanding your team from the ship."

"Not on Sanghelios."

"Not on Sanghelios, but anywhere else we go."

"I understand."

He sighed. "I remember you walking strong over four years ago... It's been quite the journey, hasn't it?"

"Yeah. I'm a captain and my team is of officers. I'm literally a part of the command structure and I still can't mentally handle being fully mature."

"And that's why you have the special conditions. It doesn't make you any less effective of a leader."

"My disability does. I swear, if I had a credit for every time that someone told my team or me that it was weird that I was the leader because I'm disabled or because I'm a woman... It's ridiculous. I hear from them all the time about having to defend me because the great Elizabeth Doe that helped bring down the Covenant and destroyed the Ark couldn't possibly be me, just because I'm disabled."

He sighed. "Yet you continue. I swear, between you and Chief... You both are stubborn as hell." He must have realized what he said afterwards, because his head dipped down. "Sorry."

"It's fine. And maybe it's a family trait." I replied, a lone tear falling from my eye. I missed John, since I was left alone yet again. 

"Hey, we recently received a distress call from Forward Unto Dawn. It might be Cortana. Who knows? He's stubborn, and Cryo can keep you alive for that long."

"Where?"

"A bit off the path to Sanghelios. After we visit the Arbiter we are allowed to check out the distress."

I looked away. "Sounds good."

"I thought you would be happy hearing that."

"I am... It's just that... It's been 4 years and 7 months. Hope is not something I'm holding out, despite his luck."

"Well, we can check it out still. He is a lucky son-of-a-bitch."

"Yeah, I guess."

He left me with a wrapped gift, a small card that said 'Happy Birthday.'

He remembered?

I went to the barracks after we lifted off, into space. I held the small gift on my lap, and Star kept prodding at it. 

"What's that?"

"So now you speak?"

"It didn't seem appropriate.... I'm sorry..."

"It's okay Star. I'm just messing with you."

"Okay. But what's that?"

I smiled. "It's a birthday present. I'm 24 earth-years old, at least, not counting the years in cryo-stasis."

"I'm 16 earth-years old."

"Really? Wow... You're really young."

"Yeah I guess. How old are you counting those years?"

"44."

"WHAT."

"Yep. I was in Cryo for quite a while. I actually had an expected life of only 24 or so years because of my physical disabilities."

"Really? Wow..."

"Yep. I should be dead. But instead I'm a captain, and the leader of an elite team of officers."

Star stopped pushing me toward the barracks. She came to the front of the wheelchair, and gave me a hug with her long tentacles. "And you're the best leader we could ever have."

"You're such a sweetheart Star."

She gave me a big smile. "I try."

She started pushing the wheelchair again, and we made it into the barracks where a small cake waited, with candles on top. 

"Happy Birthday!" Team Zeta was waiting with a few gifts and the cake. I felt so embarrassed and happy. 

"You guys didn't have to-"

"We had to. When we were told that you're birthday was today we made sure to grab some stuff for you."

I got some whiskey, and some other gifts. Inside of the Admiral's gift was a few pictures of my squad, Johnson, Miranda, and an old Mjolnir helmet with a shot through the glass. 

A note laid at the bottom. 

This helmet once belonged to a brave Spartan known as a lone wolf, much like your brother. He died in service to the UNSC when he was overwhelmed and left on Reach. This is all that was left of him. But I didn't give you this helmet to recount a tale of a team that was lost. 

I gave you this to show you that hope exists. That despite everything, the spirit of this one Spartan has survived beyond his life. People will not forget what you and your brother have done. You both are legends in the military. You will never be forgotten, as you both paved the way toward new days. 

You are special. You will always be the strong leader, the dragon that helped rewrite history. You are the one we needed. Thank you. Oh, and maybe you should check your bank account sometime too. Maybe those credits that you've earned for each time someone doubted you are there. 

I smiled, and placed the helmet on my desk. The lone wolf. It said Noble 6 on the back of it. 

After the small celebration, we headed on our way to Sanghelios. I was excited to see Arbiter again, and show him my newest rank. 

After the short jump, which lasted a day, we landed in a Pelican. At the surface, I smiled as I saw Arbiter. 

That's when I found out he was being bombarded. We debuted the Infinity's power right there and then, and Team Zeta joined the fight.

I personally was with Arbiter. "How are you doing?"

"Good, other than this pitiful insurrection."

"That's good."

I got hit in the shoulder, thrown from my wheelchair. Wincing in pain as I attempted to sit up, I leaned on my other hand, letting the wound freely bleed because I couldn't hold it while trying to sit up and move myself with just my one arm. 

"Elizabeth! I've got you." Arbiter pulled me to a wall, and I put pressure on the wound with my now free hand to try to stem the bleeding. 

"Everything okay?" I heard over comms.

"Kate. I'm hit. Focus on the enemy. I'll be fine for now."

"You sure?"

"If I pass out I'll have Arbiter call. For now I'm good."

"Where is the wound?"

"Left shoulder."

"I'm on my way." 

I couldn't even protest before I saw her come over. Picking up my wheelchair, she placed me in it, and started to wrap my injury, applying biofoam to seal the plasma-created hole.

"There. I'll tend to it further a little later." 

She ran off again, and I sighed. 

"She is a fast one, Elizabeth."

"Yes... She is. Anyway..." I set back up, and started to snipe out some of the incoming rebellion. 

A few other diplomatic things happened, along with some bullshit that was caused by the UNSC being assholes and playing both sides, and finally we were on our way to the distress signal. Saying goodbye to Arbiter with an arm in a sling, he handed me a family treasure, and said that I was an accepted part of his clan because of my kindness and involvement. 

"Thank you Thel."

"For a friend, always. You are the one human I not only respect, but trust."

I smiled, and left him with a present of my own- my Purple Heart. It was an honor to receive one of my commendations, but I just left him with a smile and a hope that he would treasure it. 

We finally went on our way to the distress signal, which was in the middle of nowhere, it seemed. A planet lay nearby the half of the ship, and we were... Being dragged into it's orbit?

"What's going on?" I called on the comms up to the front.

"Detach your barracks. It seems like we're going in hard."

I did so, having them safely land nearby where the ruins of several ships were. Well, it seemed that I was thrust back into the action with an injured arm, no use of my legs, and a team of highly trained and defensible people. 

No pressure.  

Welp. What will Elizabeth do? Some bullshit is about to go down with this 44.. wait.... 24... No... Welp. She's old but young lol. Anyway, get ready for her to be a part of Halo 4! 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

56 0 9
My friend at school told me he was writing a book called this but didn't know what it was going to be about, so I said "why don't we both write a ver...
18.1K 355 28
It's been three years since Sophie moved in with her older brothers, it's been three years since her mother passed away and she has been growing and...
27 0 14
She was the last made of her kind. And just in time for a war no less. Well no not just in time she's been around much longer than this silly war. He...