Silver Waves(Book 1Living Tre...

By NaominParaInk

A promise to her dying mother to find her enstranged brother, leads Anna-Marie Hawkins into an the adventure... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Meeting with Fate
Chapter 3: Falling
Chapter 4: the Plot Thickens
Chapter 5:A Change Begins
Chapter 6:The Beginning of a New Life... or is it?
Chapter 7: Charlotte's Story
Chapter 8:
Chapter 9: Shattered Glass
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14- Healing begins
Chapter 15
Chapter 16: The Proposal
Chapter 17: The Wedding
Chapter18: Glad tidings and horrible occurances
Chapter 19
Chapter 20: Epilogue

Chapter 2: A Dinner and an Attack

240 13 13
By NaominParaInk

Chapter 2: The Dinner

After an hour of thinking and remembering things about my mother, I unpacked my meagre wardrobe.

I changed into a simple black dress, then twisted my long scarlet hair into a French twist and coiled it at the base of my neck.

 As a finishing touch I slipped my locket over my head, letting it rest just at my chest.

As I was smoothing out the wrinkles in my dress, I heard a soft but firm knock on my door.

"Yes? Who is it?" I called, walking towards the door.

“‘Tis Jacob, Miss Hawkins, may I come in?"

I smiled and let him in, I still felt very small compared to him but his handsome smile made up for that.

“May I escort you to dinner?" he asked with a hand out.

I tried to hide my blush as I nodded," I would be delighted."

I slipped my hand into his, he then led me through the hallway then onto deck where a long table had been set up, I blushed as all eyes turned to me.

“What is going on?" I asked Jacob quietly.

Jacob smiled," You are the lady of this ship on this voyage, and we heard you've had a rough time lately, so we thought you might enjoy a nice dinner with the us. "

I smiled my thanks as Jacob led me to a seat near the head of the table and helped me sit.

"Thank you, so much. You have no idea how much this just cheered me up."

I smiled as many of the men smiled bashfully at my thanks.

Jacob sat down next to me then Tom sat on my other side beside the captain, whom I hadn't seen before.

He looked to be quite friendly; a smile on his face as he greeted his crew, his aging features didn't hide the fact that in his younger years he was quite handsome.

He smiled at me," I realize I haven't introduced myself, I am Captain Andrews, welcome to my ship the Midnight Queen."

“Thank you sir, I am Anna-Marie Hawkins," I introduced myself politely.

The Captain smiled warmly before hushing everyone, when everyone was silent he said grace.

After he finished, we started eating, I listened hungrily to the animated stories of fighting off pirates and braving fierce storms.

Nearing the end of dinner, the topic of the fierce pirate captain, Flint, and his infamous treasure island was raised.

“Tis all a myth!" one man exclaimed.

“Nay I have seen Flint and his crew! Fearsome men they are!"

“Then how are ye still alive? I heard tell they leave no one alive."

The argument was starting to get heated when finally the captain spoke up," this is not a topic to be discussed in front of a lady, understand? If I hear any of ye talking about Flint and his blasted treasure in front of Miss Anna, ye will suffer the consequences."

The men grumbled slightly but the subject was dropped.

I looked down at my hands, I hadn't minded the talk of pirates, I had grew up on such stories but the very thought of the pirate Flint always ran chills down my spine.

“Miss Anna, are you alright?"

I looked up, both Jacob and the captain were looking at me, I nodded.

 "Yes I'm fine, just a bit tired from the recent events" I answered, hoping I didn't seem like a fragile lady to them, but the truth was, I was feeling a bit faint.

Jacob looked sympathetic, and got up," here, I'll walk you to your cabin."

I took his hand and let him lead me to my room.

“Thank you" I said softly

He smiled," it was my pleasure, Miss Hawkins."

“Please, just call me Anna."

Jacob lifted my hand to his mouth and brushed his lips against my skin, I blushed violently," good night Anna."

“Good night Jacob," I replied, then let myself into my room and shut the door softly.

A week later-

I woke up slowly to the sound of the crew working outside and sat up.

I felt for my locket, when my fingers touched the cool silver metal I relaxed slightly, glad that I hadn't lost it.

I opened it slowly, it revealed an old photograph of my family minus me, my father had his arm around my mother lovingly and Charles, who looked to be about six at the time, had a wide grin on his face.

 I smiled, as a child I had often fantasized about my father and brother if they had stayed or at least come back every once in a while from the sea.

 I closed the locket and studied the engraving in the silver," to my beloved wife Sara, my love to you always."

 I closed my eyes trying to picture what my brother would look like now, perhaps he'd favour my father and be tall with silver-grey eyes and curly red hair, or maybe he'd favour my mother and have brown eyes and dark hair......

My thoughts were interrupted by a cannon booming and second later the impact on the ship.

I tumbled off my bed but quickly got up as Jacob rushed into my room.

“What’s going on?" I asked, forgetting I was still in my thin nightgown.

Jacob had noticed my attire and tossed me a pair of breeches and a shirt," quickly Anna, we're under attack."

My eyes widened as I grabbed the clothing and ducked behind the dressing screen, I quickly changed just as another cannonball hit the side of the ship.

 I stumbled right into Jacob, he handed me a pair of boots, which I put on, they were a bit too large for me but I wouldn't complain.

“Why am I dressing as a man?" I asked quite puzzled.

Jacob looked at me," unless you fancy being in a dress while you are trying to keep defend yourself, breeches are the best option. I need you to stay in this room until I come back to get you, under no circumstances should you leave."

I nodded," I understand."

Jacob then left again, I locked the door behind him, and paced around the room as I heard swords starting to clash against each other.

I fiddled with my locket nervously as someone tried to get into my room; I grabbed the sword Jacob left for me.

I was watching the door closely as it was forced open, a tall Spanish man appeared, and he smiled evilly when he saw me.

"Ah a pretty little senorita, why don't you drop that sword and come with me?"

I narrowed my eyes," how about I don't?" I retorted, keeping my sword up even though I had no idea how to use it.

The man smirked dangerously and walked a few steps closer," senorita, I can tell you do not know how to use a sword, drop it before you get hurt."

I glared at him but made no move to do as he told me to.

My lack of response aggravated him and he stepped closer, before I knew what happened, he had his sword against my throat and had knocked my sword from my hand.

He chuckled at the now scared look on my face as he snaked his other arm around my waist and pulled me close to him.

“You senorita, shall be my lover," he whispered in my ear.

I tried to pull away only to feel his blade press harder against my neck.

"Unhand her you scum!" a familiar voice shouted from behind us.

The man holding me gripped me tighter as he turned to face him," or what? You wouldn't want me to harm her because of your foolishness."

I then was able to see Jacob; he was poised to pounce but faltered when he saw the sword pressed to my throat.

I looked at him, then an idea popped into my head, I elbowed the man hard in the stomach then when he loosened his grip, Jacob attacked.

I slipped out of his grip, but not before his sword cut my shoulder.

I watched in horror as Jacob and the pirate locked in combat.

Jacob and the pirate circled each other, like wolves hungry for the other's blood, occasionally striking out at each other only to be blocked.

Finally Jacob found a weakness and jabbed at the pirate's chest.

The pirate didn't move fast enough and Jacob's sword pierced his heart.

I looked away at the sight of the pirate's blood, I felt faint.

Suddenly, everything went black.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.3K 117 17
In the past 8 months that Jack Sparrow had left, Anna-Marie had not been herself. She cared far too much for him, and she felt as though she could no...
251 12 12
Trigg's best friend, Evan, has been captured by a slave trading pirate, and now he must team up with the unlikeliest and most annoying hero in the se...
50 10 7
A woman who has lost everything finds herself fighting to survive alone aboard a ship of pirates. She must learn to navigate this new world while hid...
937 23 48
Anna seems to be unseen. She only has two friends, and one of them is her little brother. She gets bullied a lot at school, and it makes it worse, be...