Three Years On

By softlikevelvet

It's been three years since Michael Williams said goodbye to Debby Martin, the supposed love of his life, and... More

Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Epilogue

Chapter Five

1.5K 51 4
By softlikevelvet

This one's dedicated to shattered_sky because she left lovely comments and even introduced me to the song on the side, which is Hang You Up by Yellowcard, and it is basically this story, BUT IN A SONG. I'd never even heard it before today, but now I love it lots and lots :)

Enjoy and comment ;D

************************************************************************************************************

     Michael did the drive back to Dee’s recklessly. He parked askew outside the house and ran to the door. He didn’t stop to knock this time, instead went back to his ancient habit of entering as he pleased. He catapulted himself up the stairs and into the guest room, grabbed his bag with his few belongings, then ran out again.

     When he reached the bottom of the staircase Dee was waiting there for him, arms crossed over her chest and one eyebrow raised in amusement. ‘Leaving so soon?’ she asked.

     ‘I’m sorry Dee,’ Michael told her, stopping in front of the door, though he was itching to leave. ‘I’ve got to go back to Warwick, coming here was a huge mistake. Mrs Martin insisted I go stay over there, but I really can’t, I have to leave.’

     Dee took a few seconds to respond. ‘It’s a pity that you won’t get to see Beth,’ she commented drily.

     ‘I know, but I really do have to go,’ he repeated. ‘Thank you for everything, your generosity is too much.’

     Michael desperately wanted to get out of there, so he turned and opened the door before she could protest then ran the short distance to his car. He had his keys out of his pocket before he stopped, and having left the door unlocked in his hurry to get into the house, ripped it open, sat down and threw his bag on the passenger seat all in one swift movement.

     He skidded onto the road away from St. David’s, the gas pedal to the floor, not caring about the speed limit. He just had to get away from there. Away from all the painful memories and away from the difficult situation. His heart rate didn’t slow down until he was halfway to Haverfordwest and his phone started ringing.

     He lightened his foot a bit to slow the car and slid his mobile out of his pocket. Jordan. He hit ignore and flung the phone on the seat next to him with his bag. A minute later it started ringing again. He sighed heavily and pulled his car up on the side of the road.

     ‘Yep?’ he said into his phone.

     ‘Michael?’ came Jordan’s voice. ‘Where the hell are you? You’ve been missing since yesterday, last night I thought you were just out, but when you didn’t come home today I got worried.’

     ‘Oh, shit, I completely forgot to tell you, I’m sorry mate,’ Michael said.

     ‘That doesn’t answer my question,’ Jordan moaned. ‘Where the hell are you?

     ‘I’m in St. David’s… well I was.’

     ‘St. David’s? Is that the place that girl lived?’ Jordan asked.

     Michael hesitated. ‘Yeah, it is. I kind of came to see her.’

     ‘Good on you!’ Jordan congratulated him.

     ‘Not good on me. She has a boyfriend. And I knew that, but I came anyway. I’m heading back now,’ Michael explained.

     ‘She has a boyfriend?’ Jordan repeated. ‘What’s he like?’

     ‘Urgh,’ Michael let out a grunt. ‘He’s horrible. Vile. I can’t believe she lets him touch her. Her family hates him, but she can’t see it.’

     ‘Well then, it sounds like you need to turn back around to St. David’s and stay there as long as it takes to break them up,’ Jordan suggested.

     ‘Are you crazy?’ Michael cried. ‘If I go back there her mum’s going to make me stay with them, and it will be incredibly awkward!’

     ‘Looks to me like it’s all been set up perfectly for you already, all you need to do is be there, and I bet within three weeks, she’s one hundred percent yours.’

     Michael didn’t say anything to this. He just digested the idea. I do still feel very strongly about her, he told himself. But she’s with Alfie.

     ‘Come on,’ Jordan drawled eventually. ‘You know you want to.’

     ‘I hate you,’ Michael told him, then hung up.

     He lent his head on the steering wheel thinking hard. ‘Fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck,’ he cursed out loud, with each word banging his head against the wheel a little harder. On the final one he hit the horn.

     He lifted his hand up, with his iPhone still in it. Slowly, he tapped the screen, bringing up Debby’s number. He wasn’t even sure if she still had the same one, but he decided to call it anyway.

     ‘Hey,’ Debby greeted him.

     ‘Has your mum talked to you yet?’ he asked.

     ‘About you staying here?’ she said. ‘Yeah.’

     ‘What are your thoughts on that?’

     He heard her let out a long breath on the other end of the phone. ‘I’m not gonna say you can’t. It will be weird, and it will be hard, but my mum seems to think it must happen.’

     ‘So you’re saying you wouldn’t stop me?’ he checked.

     ‘I guess.’

     ‘Right,’ he said, then disconnected.

     Debby stared at the phone in her hand. This isn’t happening, she told herself. She wanted to scream. Instead, she threw her phone at her bedroom wall. It hit it with a bang, then fell to the floor, exploding into three pieces- the back, the battery and the actual phone. She knew from experience that it was basically indestructible, so she wasn’t worried about breaking it.

     She pulled her knees sharply into her chest and hugged them hard. Michael was going to come and stay in her house. She wasn’t so much worried about the situation itself; she was worried about her control. How much self-control did she really have? How long would it be before she was cheating on Alfie?

     The thought of that made her sick. He was always the one that cheated. He was always the one that lied. He was the one that created the arguments. It was her job to keep the peace, to give him time to feel guilty about it, to accept his apologies and get back together with him eventually. That was how it had worked for the past five months, and there were moments when she really thought she loved him. Alfie may have had his flaws, and he may have done terrible things to her, but there were times when he was incredibly sweet and opened up to her.

     But it had never been easy with Alfie like it had been with Michael. Things had just worked with Michael. They’d never argued, always perfectly in sync and knew exactly what to expect of each other. If she were to break up with Alfie for Michael, she would be taking a huge risk. Alfie had some anger management problems, and would not take kindly to things switching the other way, and all for what? For something with a guy she hadn’t seen in three years that she had no idea would work out.

     Feeling confused and frustrated she made her way across her bedroom floor to pick up the pieces of her phone. Her hands shook as she tried to put it back together. She waited impatiently for it to turn back on, then quickly dialled Beth’s number. Even though they weren’t strictly speaking best friends anymore, she still knew her number so well that it was faster to dial it than go find her on her contacts.

     She listened to the rings on the other end, waiting.

    ‘Heya Debby,’ Beth said.

    ‘Beth, I’m in a really weird situation,’ Debby told her straight away.

    ‘How so?’

     ‘Well, remember Michael?’ she asked.

     ‘Of course I remember him!’ Beth cried. ‘He was my best friend remember? How could I forget anything about that summer? Anyway, what about him?’

     ‘He’s back.’ 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

142 26 31
Kate and Sam have been friends since forever even though they couldn't be more different. Its the summer after they graduated from high school, and t...
941 1 37
In the second book following "How it was Left" - By the summer before their junior year, Zooey proposes a promise that she and Lila won't let anythi...
32.3K 2.9K 54
**ATTENTION! This is a sequel to Not the Only One. Please please don't read any further until you read it! - SPOILERS ahead! All of the characters wi...
110K 4K 74
after a long summer, mackenzie and ethan are finally back. and on amazing terms. but that doesn't last long. one of ethan's mistakes comes back to bi...