Empire Day ✓

By SapphireAlena

1st place: Star Wars Fanfiction Awards Luke Skywalker is turning 8 in just a few days on Empire Day. Unfortun... More

Author's Notes & Disclaimer
Title Crawl
Chapter 1 - Binary Suns
Chapters 2 - Mos Eisley Census
Chapter 3 - That's My Son
Chapter 4 - The Beast
Chapter 5 - Bureaucrats and Starpilots
Chapter 6 - Bacta Treatments & Star Destroyers
Chapter 7 - Showdown
Chapter 8 - Pod Races
Chapter 9 - Finishing What I Began
Chapter 10 - The Sith Master
Chapter 11 - Nubian Rebels
Chapter 12 - Arrival on Naboo
Chapter 14 - An Informant
Chapter 15 - Confronting Vader
Chapter 16 - My Mother
Chapter 17 - Silver Streak
Chapter 18 - Polis Massa
Chapter 19 - A Truly Powerful Master
Chapter 20 - Decisions
Chapter 21 - Brothers
Chapter 22 - Jedi Trances
Chapter 23 - The Great Negotiator
Chapter 24 - Lieutenants, Captains, and Commanders
Chapter 25 - All Things Made New
Chapter 26 - The Mountain Palace
Chapter 27 - Ice Wampas
Chapter 28 - Resolutions and Insight
Chapter 29 - Skyguy & Snips
Chapter 30 - A Royal Scare
Chapter 31 - A Change of Plans
Chapter 32 - Laser Brains
Chapter 33 - Mercenaries
Chapter 34 - Short, Blond, and Cute
Chapter 35 - Prelude to War
Chapter 36 - Kisses and Foolishness
Chapter 37 - This Is Where the Fun Begins
Chapter 38 - The Battle Begins
Chapter 39 - You Call This a Rescue?
Chapter 40 - For Our Children
Chapter 41 - What Did You Get Us Into, Bane?
Chapter 42 - Oh, Brother
Chapter 43 - Breaking In
Chapter 44 - On the Inside
Chapter 45 - This Is My Fight
Chapter 46 - What a Surprise Indeed
Chapter 47 - Fools
Chapter 48 - Aftermath
Chapter 49 - The Trial
Chapter 50 - A New Life

Chapter 13 - The Governess

4.3K 210 247
By SapphireAlena

Quemé sat at a small table in one of the gardens, watching her charge. The sunset painted the sky every hue from blue and red to gold and orange. Biggs's eyes widened, taking in the splendor as they ate their evening meal together in this secluded garden. She smiled at him, enjoying the innocence of this young boy.

He rattled on as he shoveled food into his mouth. "I never thought sunsets could be any prettier than Tatooine, but I've never seen so many colors in the sky all at once before."

"You've been to Tatooine?" Quemé leaned in.

"That's where I'm from. It's all I knew before I came here." He slurped the noodle hanging from his lips. "Hey, have you ever climbed trees before?"

Quemé smiled at him under her veil, her eyes scrunching together. This boy is too precious. I want to keep him—anything to keep from the Sith. "I seem to recall doing that once or twice when my mentors weren't looking." Her eyes twinkled.

Biggs looked at the tree on the earthen terrace below them and then smiled with a twinkle in his eye. "Do you think that tree is strong enough to hold us?"

Quemé pushed away her plate and stood. She crossed to the edge of the garden and looked beyond the hedge that formed the safety barrier. "Only one way to find out." She gathered her skirts and hurried down the steps to the next terrace. "Well, aren't you coming, Biggs?"

The little boy ran down the steps, racing past his governess. She made it to the first limb two meters above, but Biggs was stuck, unable to reach the first limb. She reached down and pulled him up.

He then scampered up the limbs that were closer together, sitting on one large limb about three meters from the top of the tree. "Come on, Quemé! The view up here is magnificent. The stars are coming out." He scooted toward the middle of the branch, making room for the woman.

As Quemé climbed, a branch caught her headdress, ripping and falling to the ground. When she had reached Biggs's branch, she gingerly sat on it with him, hoping it would not crash to the ground with her added weight. She peered down where her headdress had fallen, realizing they must have climbed at least ten meters.

Biggs looked at her, his eyes widening.

"What's wrong?" Quemé asked.

"Your face is bleeding—above your eye."

Quemé raised her hand above her eyebrow. Warm liquid oozed out. She pressed her palm to the abrasion, stemming the flow of blood. "So it is." She giggled. "What would the queen say if she saw me like this?"

Biggs laughed with her, his eyes unable to pull away from his governess. 

"Stop looking at me like that, Biggs." She punched his shoulder in play. "I might think you have a crush on me."

"I can't help it. You're beautiful."

"How would you know?" Quemé said, glowing with the praise but uncomfortable with the source.

"Well, you're more beautiful than my aunt. Maybe Jabba's slave girl was prettier . . ."

She frowned. "What were you doing looking at slave girls, young man?"

He turned his eyes down at his hands, his cheeks flushing. "She was at the pod races with Jabba. I didn't really get a good look at her."

She regretted teasing him now. He was just a boy, and a young one at that. She changed the subject quickly. "So, tell me what made you want to become a Sith Lord."

He stared at his hands, fidgeting with them. "I don't want to be a Sith, but it is either that or death."

"Biggs, trust me, you can't become one. You are too innocent. Haven't you seen the horrible things that Vader has done? Do you want to become that monster?"

He furrowed his brows and squinted his eyes at her. "He's not that bad. He's strict, but I've never seen him kill anyone. He even freed the slaves on Tatooine." His face softened as he looked back at his hands and swung his legs. "And it's not like I had a choice in the matter. Lord Vader won't let anyone kill me."

Quemé ran her fingers through the boy's hair. "I wish things were different. If I could get you away from him, would you go? I mean, if I could take you to a safe place, to safe people, to someone who could train you to be a Jedi instead?"

The boy shook his blond curls "no." "I can't leave him. I just can't. If I leave him, he will never . . ."

"Never what, Biggs?"

"Never turn back. I promised someone that I would turn him back to the good side." 

"He was never good."

Biggs turned back to her, his eyes ablaze with fervor. "No, you're wrong. I feel the good in him. There is so much conflict, so much pain, so much fear. But there is love, too. He loves me, Quemé. I can feel it. I can't leave him."

These were aspects of Vader Quemé had never even considered. So there is a heart somewhere within that monster. But why would he love his own apprentice? Why would he be afraid of losing him? He's just another boy. Something doesn't add up.

She smiled at Biggs. "It looks like we both need a bath. Come on, we'd better head inside before Lord Vader comes looking for us."

Biggs descended. "Oh, he always knows where I am. There is no way to hide from him."

"I guess we won't be playing hide-and-seek, then." Quemé rumpled his hair before they hurried to the palace complex.

A few hours later when both Quemé and Biggs had cleaned up, the governess sat on the edge of his large canopy bed, tucking him in. 

"Tell me a story, Quemé."

"A story? I don't know many stories."

"Sure you do. Tell me some more about the Clone Wars. You haven't even gotten to the good part yet."

She tapped his nose. "How would you know?"

"It's a war. All you told me today was about the politics of it all. There had to be some fighting and some war heroes. Tell me about a war hero."

Quemé took a moment to compose her thoughts as they strayed to the preeminent war hero of the era.  "Now, where were we? The Separatists had created their armies of Battle Droids and worked with Count Dooku to overthrow the Republic's Armies. The Jedi Knights lead the Clone Armies into battles across the galaxy."

"More details."

"All right, you said you met Jabba. Did you know that the Separatists kidnapped his son early in the wars?"

Biggs eyes widened. "No, tell me."

"The Separatists were blackmailing him. Right after the battle of Geonosis, the droid army seized control of the major hyperspace lanes, separating the Republic from most of its clone army. As more planets chose to join the Separatists, the Jedi generals lost ground in the Outer Rim. While the Jedi were occupied fighting a war, crime spread. Then Jabba's son Rotta was kidnapped by a rival band of pirates—"

"You just said it was the Separatists."

"Shh," Quemé said putting her finger to his lips. "I'm getting to that. Patience, young one. So—desperate to save his son, Jabba contacted the Jedi."

"I met his son. He was with Jabba at the pod races." Biggs grinned. "He was a baby?"

"I think larva might be a better term, a stinky one at that. Anyway, the Chancellor—"

"You mean the Emperor—"

"Palpatine was the Chancellor at that point, Biggs. Remember, this was during the Republic." 

"What's the difference?"

Quemé stared at the carved paneling for a moment. She returned her gaze to the small boy. "In a republic, the citizens elect senators to represent them to the rest of the galaxy. The senators select one of their own as Chancellor to represent the galaxy  and lead them in righteousness."

"I don't understand. We have an Imperial Senator for Tatooine. My uncle voted for him and everything. And it sounds like the Emperor does the same thing the Chancellor did."

"The Republic Senate actually ran the galaxy. The Chancellor could not override it. Today, the Imperial Senate bows to the Emperor. Only what he desires happens. I have good friends in the Senate, good senators from the Galactic Republic, but their power has been stripped."

Biggs titled his head. "So, why do we even have a senate then? It makes no sense."

"Most citizens aren't aware that the Emperor has taken control. They still believe that nothing has changed."

"That's wrong."

Quemé nodded. "There are lots of things wrong about the Empire, Biggs. This is only the beginning. But, the Emperor started his quest for power during the Clone War. He has been a puppet master for many years."

"How did he do that?"

"Well, Palpatine felt that it was the perfect opportunity to bring in the Hutts on the Republic side. He persuaded the Jedi Council to send Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker on the mission." Quemé stumbled over the name "Anakin."

Biggs gasped at the name, his eyes bulging and his mouth rounding. 

"Unfortunately, they had not obtained a complete victory in the battle they were still fighting. Led by Captain Rex and Commander Cody, Kenobi sent in their clone troopers to capture the supplies on Christophsis—"

The heavy door of the bedroom swung open as the dark form of Lord Vader appeared. Quemé stood and curtsied at his appearance. "Lord Vader."

Vader rumbled, "Lady Quemé. That will be all for today."

The governess hurried through the adjoining refresher to her bedroom. Worried for young Biggs, she closed the door, keeping her ear pressed to the seal.

Breathing a sigh of relief to be away from his duties. His investigation had yielded few results, Vader took the governess's spot on the bed. For the first time in a long time, he dreaded using Sith methods. If his investigation yielded nothing from regular methods, he would have to move to those alternative methods soon. For now, though, his son was his respite of peace and joy.

"Biggs, tell me about your day. Do you like your governess?"

The boy's eyes lit up. "Oh, yes, Daddy, Lady Quemé's is amazing."

"Biggs, I've asked you not to call me that in public."

"We're not in public. Only us in here, Daddy." Luke grinned impudently at the dark form, trying to get him to laugh.

"Very well. Tell me about Quemé. What did you do today?"

The boy rattled off in excitement. He moved his arms to his side before clutching them in front of his chest. "Climbed a tree. Oh, and she's so beautiful, Daddy."

Vader looked at his son, perturbed. "What about lessons? How far did she get?"

"Oh, those we're pretty boring. She spent the whole day telling me about some Trade Federation Siege of Naboo and the start of the Clone War."

"Go on."

"Well, she was just telling me about the Battle of Chris—, Christo—, Christopostits—"

"Christophsis?" 

Luke smiled and said, "Yeah, that."

"The first or the second one?"

"There were two? I think the first one, because we were just starting."

"Very good. Now, get some sleep. I expect you to be an expert on the Clone War by the end of the week. You will need a good night's sleep to absorb all of the information." The dark lord stroked the boy's cheek before turning off the lights in the room in the Force. "I love you, Biggs."

"I love you, too, Daddy."

Quemé leaned against the wall that abutted the refresher unit. Things are finally beginning to make sense. Biggs is his son. He must have been a war orphan, lost his mother during the war, and his father didn't know where he was. I wonder what other secrets Vader is hiding.

She wasn't tired yet. The young boy may need 10 hours of sleep, but she had been surviving on much less for many years now. She headed out into the cool of the night, strolling on the Grand Terrace that overlooked the city. 

She was lost in thought gazing at the moon when she heard the heavy breathing of Vader's regulator behind her. She jumped in shock before turning to him and curtsying. "Lord Vader. How may I serve you?"

The Dark Lord stared at her. "I heard someone out here. I wanted to make sure there were no clandestine meetings between Rebel leaders."

Quemé's heart raced at those words. Does he suspect? Was Marné wrong? "Sorry, it's just me, and now you." 

"I am sorry to have disturbed you." Vader turned to leave but then turned back. "I was wondering, do you have access to the mausoleums?"

She calmed herself. He knows. He knows where the transmissions originated. He know it's me. "Of course, my lord."

"Could you open Padmé Naberrie's for me? I would like to pay my respects."

She tilted her head at the request. The tomb lay in the southwest corner, far from the abandoned bunker.

"Of course, Lord Vader. Follow me." 

Vader slowed his pace for the smaller woman.

"I wasn't aware that you knew her."

"She was a very good friend . . . a lifetime ago. Coming back to Naboo has brought back memories I thought buried long ago."

Quemé passed her hand over the security panel on the mausoleum that served as a shrine for Padmé Naberrie Amidala, Queen and Senator of Naboo, victim of the Clone War. She led the hulking figure of Darth Vader into the vast marble structure.

The room preserved portraits and images of Padmé from her time in public office. Many pictures showed her with a tall young Jedi, her bodyguard at one time, Anakin Skywalker.

Vader lifted his gloved hand to one of the portraits, tracing the outline of the woman's face. Quemé was sure she heard a sob come from his vocalizer.

In the middle of the room lay the bier, with her casket upon it.

Vader turned to the young woman. "May I grieve in private, please?"

She curtsied and replied with a choked-up voice, "Of course, my lord." She exited the tomb, waiting against the outer wall with the door open.

Lady Quemé heard his strangled voice mumble, "I'm sorry. I want to change, Padmé, but I am lost without my guiding light. When I think that I might have lost my own son in the Jedi Purge, O Padmé, how this world has changed without you! I wish you could meet him. You'd like him very much. You'd probably steal him away from me with your charm. I could never deny you anything." 

The words tapered off to mere whispers that Quemé could not understand. Only one thing she did know about this mysterious creature—the pain he felt.

Maybe he is the key to overthrowing the Emperor.

Quemé stopped that line of thought and then started thinking of the specifics. It was obvious that seduction would not work on him, but maybe his son would.

I can't believe I'm thinking about subverting a Sith Lord!    

Did you know . . .

● One of the last scenes in Revenge of the Sith is Padmé's funeral. The hand-carved japur snippet Anakin gave her as a youth hangs around her neck.

● They had no idea why Padmé died during childbirth. Some people add it up to a losing her will to live. I disagree. She had such fire. She loved her children. I believe Palpatine killed her using the Force.

Tell me what you think . . .

● What do you think is in store for Vader next?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

228K 6K 172
Anakin and Obi-Wan have just rescued the Chancellor and returned to planet side safe and sound. Anakin has finally had his long awaited reunion with...
6.7K 192 18
It was said before...dark times approach as the sun and the moon go by, and it was true. Everyone that could, as well as everyone that couldn't, were...
13.7K 461 37
𝕧𝕠𝕚𝕕 - a completely empty space "I'm trapped in the darkness." She whispered into his ear. His arms slipped around her waist, heart aching for h...
14.3K 388 23
Description: "Ahsoka!" ... "Can't...hold on." ... "Take my hand!" ... "ANAKIN!" ... "NOOOOOOO!" On a transport, Ahsoka falls off a cliff, and is pre...