Violet

By Ms_Horrendous

A loving father desperate for power. A mother trying to save her family. A girl named Violet trying to find o... More

Before You Read this
iii
Chapter 1: Intoxicated
Chapter 2: Good News
Chapter 3: Secrets Unleashed
Chapter 4: Violet
Chapter 5: Locked Away
Chapter 6: The Book
Chapter 7: The Eye
Chapter 8: The Wild, Wild Man
Chapter 10: The Sacrifice
Chapter 11: Rosemary
Chapter 12: Friends
Chapter 13: The Eye
Chapter 14: Nightmare
Chapter 15: The Dance
Chapter 16: Laughter and Pain
Chapter 17: Spiders
Chapter 18: To the End
Chapter 19: It's Been a While
Chapter 20: The Tooth Extraction
Chapter 21: An EYE Witness
Chapter 22: Aunt Denise
Chapter 23: Murder
Chapter 24: Best Birthday Ever
Chapter 25: What Goes on in This House, Stays in This House
Chapter 26: Fitting In
Chapter 27: Reckless Ryan
Chapter 28: Teachers and Bullies
Chapter 29: Sleep Paralysis
Chapter 30: Soccer Fun
Chapter 31: The Witch
Chapter 32: Blah Blah Blah
Chapter 33: The Cries from Behind
Chapter 34: Devin
Chapter 35: Satisfaction
Chapter 36: Behind The Mask
Chapter 37: Bitter Sweet Revenge
Author's Note
Chapter 38: The Sleepwalker
Chapter 39: Planning with Abby
Chapter 40: Glass Bottles
Chapter 41: Visitors
Chapter 42: Strangers in the Halls
Dear Hide and Seek Shippers
Chapter 43: A Mother's Breakdown
Chapter 44: Someone That I knew
Chapter 45: Mariel's Last Breath
Chapter 46: Almost Home
Chapter 47: Play Along
Chapter 48: Lights Off, Begin
Chapter 49: One Down, Two More to Go
Chapter 50: Two Down, One More To Go
Chapter 51: Birthday Present
Chapter 52: America's Most Wanted
Chapter 53: Less Than a Library
Chapter 54: Chop Suey
Chapter 55: The Downing's
Chapter 56: The White Room
Chapter 57: Ryan's Return
Chapter 58: As you Wish
Chapter 59: Mrs. Harmon's Sacrifice
Chapter 60: Jasper
Chapter 61: Jasper and Ryan
Chapter 62: Stepping Past Boundaries
Chapter 63: A Sacrifice for my Friends
Chapter 64: First Game
Chapter 65: Seven
Chapter 66: Five
Chapter 67: The Countdown
Chapter 68: The Fire
Chapter 69: Dead Wrong
Soon

Chapter 9: The Proposal

30.9K 2.1K 950
By Ms_Horrendous

The next morning, my mom decided that it was time for us to go for a walk. The car we used to move was never ours; it belonged to my dad. He took that back the same day we left. 

"Oh my goodness!" my mother yelled as she carried me outside of the house. Parked on the side of the street was a brand new car with a purple ribbon attached to the top. Hung on the car door was a large poster that read, "Will you marry me, Veronica Sheats?" 

A man exited the car, holding a vase full of roses in one hand and a beautiful cake in the other hand. He ran toward us but almost dropped the cake. He set the things on the ground beside the house then grabbed my mother's hand, quickly grabbing my hand, too.

"I have been the worst father, the worst husband, and the worst friend these last few years," he started. "I've lost sight of what truly matters. You two. So Veronica, Violet, I have an important question for you two." He let go of our hands and pulled out a ring from his back pocket. "Would you two like to become a Harmon?" Tears swelled up in my mother's eyes. I reached for the ring just because I wanted to play with it. "I promise I will change, Veronica. I just want my family back."

My mother smiled at him and put me down. She hugged my father. "I missed you so much," she said. "Yes. Yes, I would love to become Mrs. Harmon."

***

The wedding was prepared the same day at St. Martin's Church around 6 PM. Only a small number of people came and it was brief.  Why so fast? It didn't occur to me at the time. My parents left me with a babysitter so they could spend two nights out of town. I never saw him with the book since he proposed. Both my parents were back together, and that was enough to make me a happy baby again.

The happiness would soon be broken, though. 

***

After about nine months, my mother started attending college again. She had to go on a college trip in Spain where she would stay three months. That meant she would miss my third birthday. In the meantime, I would be staying with Daddy and his parents.

While I was with my dad, he would act differently around me versus around my mother. He did... strange things to me. When no one was around, he would cut strands of my hair and cut my toenails, then store them in an empty jar that he'd place in his art room. He often examined my hands, feet, and face for more than ten minutes. I never knew why.

His parents loved me but I could tell my father didn't like them. He'd stare at them in an impolite way. Almost like he wanted them gone. He never really ate dinner, either. He was either in his art room, staring at me or his parents, or outside in a deep thought.

One night, he bought a shovel and he'd often go outside with it. Why? I wouldn't find out until the months that followed.

*Hope you guys are enjoying this. I'm currently writing more so the book may be finished by late tonight or tomorrow. Don't despair just yet! There's way more to come. Make sure you point out my mistakes. I need grammar Nazis!*

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Haunted By Kelly

Paranormal

3.4K 234 34
Amelia Hale's college is all fun and games until she dies and comes back. Now her life is filled with disgruntled ex boyfriends, her dead best friend...
191K 11.8K 23
Three girls are kidnapped and forced to befriend their kidnappers daughter. Except his daughter isn't exactly normal. - Highest ranking: 15th in Horr...
56 0 12
The mind can be a treacherous place, especially when doubts and fears start creeping in. What if those doubts and fears were more than just mere thou...
10.2M 352K 35
How does your night go from a game of Hide and Seek with your best friend, to your parents being murdered the same night? On top of that, you're sent...