Chapter 38: The Sleepwalker

Mr. Harmon and Abby sat in the yard behind Denise's house. In the dark, the two of them watched through the kitchen window as Violet washed the dishes. "The sleepwalking plan starts tonight," Mr. Harmon smiled.

Abby chuckled. "That's a great idea, and Katherine did a great job getting Violet's mother into alcohol again. Now, when we make her sleepwalk into Violet's room, and Violet sees that something is wrong, she'll think it was her mother this whole time."

"Then she'll be back home where she belongs," Mr. Harmon added. "And her mother too."

"Do you think she hates me now?" Abby asked.

"Probably."

"Ryan likes her," She looked at Mr. Harmon. "Violet and Ryan are close. If we can get him and maybe a couple of her other friends, we can get her."

"Yes. You continue your side of the plan and I will continue mine." Mr. Harmon smiled. 

Abby ran off into the darkness of the night, but Mr. Harmon stayed. He watched and waited. When all of the lights in the house went off, he began his master plan. The plan that would win him violet and his wife.

 Veronica woke up around 2 a.m. With no control of her body or partially awake, she grabbed a hammer out of the toolbox and headed back into the guest room where Violet laid. Violet slept, unaware that her mother was holding a hammer over her head. The phone rang, awakening Violet, startling her so much that she screamed. Veronica dropped the hammer just a few inches away from her own feet. Violet clutched her blanket. "Mom? What are you doing?" Violet asked.

Veronica looked around frantically. "What? What's going on?"

"You had a hammer in your hand," Violet said, scooting away from her.

"Veronica looked at the ground. "No, wait I couldn't have-"

Denise ran into their room. "What happened?" She asked, looking around. "Are you two alright?"

Violet was breathing heavy. "She had a hammer over my head. I think she was sleepwalking."

"I don't recall doing that at all," Veronica argued. "I don't know how I could have possibly done so."

A knock on the front door interrupted them. Denise excused herself and answered the door. It was Katherine. "Is everything alright?" She asked Denise. "I heard Violet scream." Violet walked out of the room to see who was at the door. "Are you okay?" She asked Violet.

Violet didn't answer. Denise sighed and placed her hand on Katherine. "I think there was a mistake. Violet said she woke up to her mother standing over her with a hammer."

"I don't think that was the case," Veronica defended herself. "I don't sleepwalk."

"Not even if you've been drinking?" Katherine asked. She raised an eyebrow, then faced Denise. "It can happen," she turned back to Veronica. "You have to be careful and watch how many drinks you have. Okay, love?"

Veronica looked around, unable to process everything that was happening. She was sure that she wasn't the type of person to sleepwalk, drunk or not drunk. Denise apologized for awakening Katherine. Everyone then returned to their rooms. Violet told her mother that she would sleep in the living room. Her mother didn't argue with her. Veronica simply sat down on her bed and looked at the hammer that was on the floor. If the phone didn't ring, who knew what could have happened. However, it was a bit ironic that the phone had rung at that moment.

***

Ryan smiled at his new guitars. Abby had bought him seven of them after school, including a brand new amplifier. "This is awesome," Ryan said looking at his guitars.

Abby sat next to him. "Isn't it great? I have more to offer when you're ready. "

"Ready for what," Ryan asked.

Abby grinned at him. "You'll find out eventually. For now, I'm still not sure that I can trust you 100%." 

Ryan scoffed. "You can trust me. I won't tell anyone that you do magic."

"Will you tell Violet about me?" 

"I'm afraid she wouldn't believe me if I told her that I have a friend who can float in the air. Or that she also killed my stepdad and made his body disappear."

Abby laughed. "I'm sure that is the last thing she would want to hear. Anyways, there's something I want to tell you about this power."

"Alright, what is it?"

"The power I have comes from a magic book, but to get this power I have to give it something in return." Abby stood up and picked up a guitar. "Power that most couldn't imagine. Like some of the things I showed you. What you want to have power like that?"

"Of course, I would. Who wouldn't want Power?"

"Exactly," Abby nodded. "Some people aren't willing to accept this power, you know?" She played a few bad notes on the guitar, then placed it back against the wall. "For example, if you had to sacrifice a baby for $1000000 would you do it?"

Ryan shook his head. "Never," he said.

"What if you had to sacrifice a killer, rapist, or an evil stepdad. Would you do it?"

"I probably would," Ryan said.

"That's how I got this power. I had to sacrifice evil people to the book. Every sacrifice unlocks a new power. No one has unlocked the final power, though. This power isn't bad. It's just what the world needs. It's what people like us need, right?"

"Right," Ryan smiled.

"It would be selfish of me not to share this power," she said. "I want my friends and family to join me, but they don't want to kill all these horrible people in the world. The more sacrifices, the more power. Think about what powers we could have if you helped me. Or perhaps, if Violet and her friends helped."

"That sounds cool."

"It is cool," she replied. "Will you help me?"

"Of course," he responded. "Let's catch us some bad guys."

A smile crossed Abby's face. "Yes, we will. But, I would like us to ease another member on our team."

"Violet?"

"Not yet," she shook her head. "Let's start with Liz and Desiree."