Chapter 10: The Sacrifice

One day, my dad decided to take me out with him and his little friend. He called his shovel his little friend. I would soon find out what it was for. 

As we walked away from his parents' house then into the tall grass across the street, he sang me a song. "Nights of white satin. Never reaching the end." It was a song by The Moody Blues. The song was rather sad, but he sang it in a funny way that made me giggle. 

When we reached the end of the tall grass, we stopped. In front of us was nothing but short grass and open space. It was nice. You'd be surprised nothing was built on this beautiful land. My father set me down and told me to go play while he walked a few feet away from me into the grass. He dug further into a hole that I didn't notice was already there. He dug more and more and every time that I got near him he moved me.

As I was playing, we heard a car running nearby. My dad stopped digging and smiled really big. "This is it," he said. I watched as he looked in the direction of the car and stared, his eyes wide. His arms raised in the air, palms flat out and raised high. "Ok. I'm ready."

I couldn't tell what he was doing but as a two-year-old, I found it funny. I raised my hands in the air, too; totally unaware of two lifeless bodies floating behind me. I thought he was looking at me but he was looking at something behind me. When I turned around, I was shocked to see a man and a woman floating. Their hands were firmly pressed against their sides, and their legs were close together, too. Both of their eyes were wide open and it didn't look as though they had control of their body.

Daddy brought them toward him and slowly lowered them into the hole. In the hole, they were able to move. My father picked me up because I was walking toward the hole. As he held me, the both of us peered into the hole.

"What are you doing!" the man yelled. "Get us out of here!"

My father smiled. "It worked! I can move things with my hands," he said happily while staring at the two.

The woman was horrified, but the man only cursed at my father and yelled for him to let them out. "Be right back!" my father exclaimed and carried me along with him. I heard the people in the hole screaming and yelling for help. No one would hear them out there.

My dad walked toward the tall grass and picked up something that rested on the ground. Something I had not seen in a while. 

The book

I didn't plan on seeing that thing again but there it was, as clear as day, in his hands. He walked back to the two people standing in the hole and held out the book.

"Let's make a deal," my dad said. "You sacrifice your souls to this book and I let you out."

"What the hell, man? Let me out or I'm calling the cops," the man in the hole said.

Dad slid up his shirt and reached in his back pocket. He quickly pulled out a gun and aimed it at the woman in the hole. "I'll ask again. Do you sacrifice-?"

"Get a damn life you psychopath."

My dad fired a shot right next to her, barely missing. She screamed and held onto the man. I started to cry. "I'm not messing around!" my dad shouted. Do you sacrifice-?"

"Yes!" the lady screamed. My father shot once more, this time barely missing the guy.

"And you, sir?" my dad asked, pointing the gun at the man.

"Yes. Yes. We sacrifice our souls to the damn book," the man said.

The book began to shake rapidly, followed by a loud roar coming from inside of it. Arms slowly reached out of the book and reached down into the hole, pulling the man and woman inside.

I couldn't stay in my father's arms. I wiggled so much he had to put me down. As I ran away, my dad only laughed and watched as the book devoured the two helpless souls.

I looked back and called after him. As I looked, I saw seven huge white pillars slowly moving up from the ground. They reached a certain height then stopped. My dad had his hands out in front of him. "I'm almost there," I heard him say.

But what did that mean by that?