Chapter 48: Lights Off, Begin

The blast from the gun made my ears ring. I didn't want to look. I really didn't. However, I am a human being, and as one, we're obligated to look at things we don't want to see. It's a natural instinct for some of us. I turned around and saw my aunt's head slouched down and her jaw blown off with her tongue dangling. Parts of her brain were splattered against the wall and her neck spilled out blood onto her clothes.

I puked immediately. Abby laughed when she saw me. "You have a weak stomach, Violet. Lighten up," she laughed some more. 

Abby was indeed a psychopath in my eyes. I would no longer see her as the little girl I grew up with. Somehow, I tried to remind myself that maybe it wasn't their fault, but I knew they had some sort of control as well. They just had to.

The three children removed their masks and looked at their dead mother. The two couldn't stand the sight and right away ran into April's arms, looking away. All three of them started to cry. 

Mr. Harmon ran over to them and put his arms over them. "Hey now! Remember that this was all a game. She's okay."

To my surprise, April wasn't buying it and what did Mr. Harmon expect? They may have fallen for his tricks and Abby's trick, but no kid in their right mind would approve of this

"Why did you make us do that?" Zach asked, sniffing after every word.

"You killed her," April cried. "You said she would be safe. Bring her back!" I felt so sorry for them and somehow felt like it was my fault. If I never complained to my mom about what was going on, we wouldn't have moved with them. If only I could have found a way to possibly ignore all of the stuff that had happened to me.

Of course, this wasn't really my fault and there was no way I could have stopped all of this.

Mr. Harmon's face expression changed. "If we can bring her back, then will you three stop whining?"

The three nodded quickly. I wasn't entirely sure if he could bring the dead back to life, but I watched to find out. He looked at the dead body, then back at the children. "However, if you want your mother back. You'll have to win her in a game of Hide and Seek. Are you all interested?"

Hide and Seek? I thought. That was the craziest thing I've ever heard. Abby walked over to me and to my surprised, leaned her arm on my shoulder. "See, it goes like this. We don't really have the power to bring people back from the dead unless they play a game against the dead and win. Book rules."

I quickly pushed her away from me. "Stay away from me you sick-" My body flew against the wall, back first. I slid down from the wall and on the floor, groaning from the pain. 

"You're going to play too," Abby said. Her hand was stretched out and she looked at me with an angry expression on her face.

"Hey!" My father yelled. "Calm down. We will settle this." He faced the kids again and kneeled down to meet their level. "We're going to play a game. You three and Violet, against four others. The game is simple. Don't be killed by the other players. Whichever team survives with the most players will win. If one of you win, your mother will be okay. If you lose, she'll remain dead."

The kids listened intensely, but I could see the fear on their faces. If only they could have also seen the fear on my face. Hide and seek? Four against four? Who were the four players and why did we have to be killed? Why couldn't have been a game without killing?

"No weapons are allowed in this game," My dad continued. "You have your hands, so be creative." He winked, then threw his head back in laughter. Abby joined him and the two of them laughed like they had just heard the funniest joke ever.

"Not a moment to lose," My father said. "We shall play now."

I got up and walked over to the four children. As much as I would have loved to escape with them, there was no way I could do that. I was willing to get my aunt back if this was what I really had to do. "Don't worry," I told them. "We'll get her back."

April sniffed and looked at me. "I'm afraid," she wiped her tears.

When she said that, more tears fell from my eyes. I wiped them away. "Me too. But just stay by me. It'll be okay."

"Are you four ready?" Abby asked.

"What about the other team?" I asked.

"You'll see them when the game begins," Mr. Harmon responded. "I want you all to be surprised."

I took a deep breath. In my mind, I thought that this was it for me and I  had this mindset that I would die during this game. I was scared. Very, very afraid. I had horrible anxiety and nearly choked each time I breathed. I felt like I was in a tight shell with little air. 

"Okay kids, good luck." He said.

I hugged the kids. "We'll stay together," I told them.

My father smiled at us. There was that uncomfortable feeling in my lips again and I realized he was stitching them shut again. This time, I could feel the string there. This time, there was this stinging and uncomfortable pain. I almost cried because of it. This was the first time it felt so intense. Was this purposely? Was this a punishment for me? 

"Shush," my father told me. "I wouldn't make a sound if I were you."

The kids had their lips stitched too. I wondered if they were in as much pain as I was. We huddled together and I patted them on the back, indicating that they would have to be quiet. 

"Lights off," my father said. "Begin."

Before I could say anything, everything was dark. Abby and my father were no longer in sight. The kids weren't next to me and I wasn't in the dining room anymore. I was on the fourth floor and almost immediately, I saw a tall figure walking towards me....