Behind My Sister's Back

By Squiggle

When Summer's marriage ends in disaster, her sister, Ali, is there to pick up the pieces. What Summer didn't... More

Prologue
Chapter 1: Summer's Return
Chapter 2: The New Head Chef
Chapter 3: Unfortunate Accidents
Chapter 4: Confonting Summer
Chapter 5: The Fight
Chapter 6: Fired
Chapter 7: Surprise!
Chapter 8 [part 1]: New Jobs
Chapter 8 [part 2]: Nice Guy
Chapter 9: Sneaky
Chapter 10: The Truth
Chapter 11: Goodbye
Chapter 12: Gina's News
Chapter 13: First Day Back
Chapter 14: Friends?
Chapter 15: Birthday
Chapter 16: Party
Chapter 17: ...Awkward (pic of ali)
Chapter 18: Feelings
Chapter 19: Date
Chapter 20: The Past
Chapter 21: Ian
Chapter 22: Jerk
Chapter 23: Unexpected
Chapter 24: Telling Dennis
Chapter 25: Letting Go
Chapter 26: Gina's Finest Ice-Cream
Chapter 27: Jealousy
Chapter 28: Victory
Chapter 29: Just Us
Chapter 30: Lies
Chapter 31: Lisa
Chapter 32: A Close Shave
Chapter 33: A Night To Remember
Chapter 34: Hospital
Chapter 35 [part 1]: Turning Point
Chapter 35 [part 2]: Visits

Chapter 36: The End

11.4K 249 44
By Squiggle

Chapter 36

              "You know, I could use a hand with these boxes, Dennis."

              I kicked the door open and walked blindly into the house. The box in my hands was so big I couldn't see right in front of me. And it was really heavy. 

              Suddenly, the weight disappeared and I could feel my arms again. My eyes fell on a pair of sapphire blue ones. I smiled as Dennis walked ahead and set the last of my stuff on the floor. And that was it. I had officially moved in with him.

              "Thanks," I said with a lazy smile. 

              He wound two arms around my waist and leaned forward. "No problem, roomie."

              I tipped my head up to place a light kiss on his lips. "Happy birthday."

              A grimace crossed his face and he pulled away. "Ugh. Please, Ali, stop saying that."

              "Aw," I cooed, nudging him in the side with my elbow, "is someone upset about hitting the big three-oh?"

              He stared at me flatly. "I'm old, Ali. It's depressing."

              I stepped forward and smiled innocently. "But I got you a present."

              "You moving in is enough for me."

              I ignored the warmth spreading through my chest. It was a sweet and romantic thing to say, but he was just trying to change the subject. 

              I reached into the box he'd just put down, rumaged through it, and finally took out a neatly wrapping present. He took one look at it and then tossed it onto the floor.

              My eyes widened. "You-"

              His lips crashed against mine, silencing me. At first, I was annoyed, and didn't respond. But I came through in the end. I enjoyed the feeling too much and soon enough, my arms were locked around his neck and there was nothing in the world except for him.

              "We need to unpack," I said against his lips.

              He pulled away slightly but didn't let go of me. "I can think of better things to do."

              I laughed, placing my hands on his chest and pushing him away. "No thanks. Old men don't do it for me."

              He scowled. "Hey!"

              Suddenly, my mobile went off from inside my pocket. Digging it out, I answered it without looking to see who it was. "Hello?"

              "Ali?" Ian said. 

              "Oh, hey," I said. "What's up? Is Summer okay?"

              Ian chuckled slightly. "Not really. She's gone into labour."

              "What?" I cried. It shouldn't have been a surprise to me. She was nine months gone and had been due 'any day now'. "Oh my God! I'm coming!"

              I hung up without waiting for a reply. "Summer," I told Dennis. He didn't need to hear more than that. In five seconds flat, we were out of the house.

**

              Hospitals always gave me the chills. They were just so... plain. It was a fear me and Summer had shared, ever since our favourite uncle had died in hospital when we were kids. And I, especially, didn't like them, since it had only been around six months since the accident. 

              "Ian!" I called, running down the corridor to meet him. "Hey. Is everything okay?"

              He nodded. "I think so, yeah. I need to get back in there." 

              Once he left us, I stomped my foot. "This is so unfair! I'm her sister, why can't I be allowed in?"

              "Calm down," Dennis said, leaning against the wall with a small smile. "It's childbirth. It's perfectly natural, she'll be fine."

              "I know that," I said, sighing. "I just want to see my nephew being born, that's all."

              I didn't really keep track of time, but eventually Ian came back out again. He was smiling from ear to ear, beckoning us in. 

              "Oh my God!" I squealed, standing next to Summer as she cradled her newborn boy. She looked up at me and I noticed tears were in her eyes. "He's... adorable!"

              A smile tugged at her lips. "She," Summer corrected me, opening up the sheets.

              I blinked. "Oh. So... it's, um, a girl."

              Ian laughed. "Yeah, the doctors must've got it wrong."

              I felt tears of my own stinging my eyes. My heart melted at the sight of such a gorgeous baby girl. She'd inherited Ian's piercing green eyes, but the rest of her features were Summer's. The heart-shaped face, the finely shaped nose and, of course, the big mouth. Her crying hurt my ears a little.

              "Can I?" I asked.

              "Be careful," she whispered before gently helping the girl into my arms. 

              The girl wailed even louder when she was in my arms. I grinned down at her before rocking her gently. "Shh," I hushed. It didn't shut her up like I hoped, but she did quiet down a bit. 

              "So what are you going to call her?" Dennis asked curiously.

              Ian and Summer exchanged glances before looking at me. "Alison."

              That caught my attention. "What?"

              "We're naming her after you," Summer said simply.

              I was speechless. "Um... thank you."

              I looked down at the girl again. Alison. It suited her. Little baby Ali. My gaze tore away from her and fell on Dennis. He was looking straight at me and I wondered if he was thinking the same thing as me. 

              I wanted one.

              I wanted a baby of my own. A little boy, just like Dennis, with the same lovely blue eyes and raven-black hair. I didn't want him to look anything like me, just him. For a moment, a scene unfolded before my eyes. There was me and Dennis, middle-aged, with one child on each lap. They were both mini Dennis's.

              It disappeared as quickly as it started and I found myself back in the hospital again.

**

              Later on, Ian and I decided to go get something to drink. We'd been in the hospital for a couple of hours now and hadn't left Summer's side the whole time.

              "So..." I said. "What's the real reason you decided to come with me?"

              Ian blinked. "W-what?"

              The awkwardness between us had practically vanished and I grabbed his hand without a second thought. We stopped walking.

              "I've known you for years," I pointed out. "So, tell me. What's up?"

              He scratched the back of his neck nervously. "Um, well. I just wanted to... ask you something."

              I nodded. "Go on."

              Ian had that panicked 'deer caught in the headlights' look on his face. I guess I could be pretty intimidating if I wanted to be. Without a word, he reached into his pocket and pulled out a small object. It seemed to be some sort of velvety box--

              "No way!" I cried, excitement surging through me. "No. Freaking. Way!"

              He smiled secretively. "Yes way."

              I started jumping up and down, squealing, catching a few funny looks from passers-by. I pulled Ian into a hug. "I can't believe it! You're going to propose!"

               Everything was fitting into place. It was so perfect. The divorce had finally kicked in so Summer was a free woman. And, now that they'd had a baby together, I could tell my sister had gained some feelings towards him, and I knew Ian felt the same way. It was like a fairytale ending.

              "This is... amazing," I told him honestly. 

              He nodded. "I know."

              "What's amazing?" said a familiar voice.

              I twirled around, my hand flying to my chest, where my heart was beating frantically. "Dennis!" I said. "Don't bloody do that."

              Dennis smirked. "Sorry. So, are you going to answer my question?"

              Ian shook his head. "Nah. You'll find out later." He then turned to me. "I'll see you later, Ali."

              "Bye."

              After Ian was out of ear-shot, Dennis leaned in. "Go on, tell me."

              I laughed. "No. Like he said, you'll find out. Just not yet."

              He pulled a face and then slung an arm around my shoulder. "Do you want one?"

              I knew what he meant. "Yeah. Some day. What about you?"

              He shrugged. "I don't know," he started, looking right at me. "I think I'd be ready for it right now, just because it's you."

              My legs felt like jelly. "Aw!" I said. "You are too cute."

              "Cute?"

              I nodded. "Cute."

              He frowned. "It's hardly a compliment, but I'll take it."

              "Let's just take one step at a time, eh?" I said sitting down on the nearest bench. He took a seat next to me. "No babies just yet."

              "Agreed."

              We stopped talking for a while, and a different image came back into my head. Dennis and I were old now, with wrinkles and grey hair. We were sitting on a swing, surrounded by an uncountable number of grandchildren running around in front of us. There were so many things in life we had to do. I was glad he'd be the one to do them with me.

              We had a whole future ahead of us. 

              I smiled and leaned my head against his shoulder.

              And this is only the start of it.

              THE END

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

797K 36.2K 27
Drunk driving is a big problem in the world. One wrong decision can possibly end someone's life. That's what happened to Kasey Walker. She and her tw...
399K 11.8K 34
Absolutely breathtaking cover by @cityheist ~ Dear Max, For you, it might have been simple. For you, it might have been something to keep you from b...
2.8M 62.9K 81
Diana is an 18 year old girl about to start her senior year until she bumps into a woman at the bookstore who has quite the personality. The woman ta...
76.1K 2.9K 25
After (Y/N) parents died in a car accident ten years ago, she lives with her moody, bossy older brother ever since. Growing up without her parents wa...