Chapter 10: The Truth

-- Ali's POV --

I read the text in confusion. Why did Gina want to meet me? Wasn't she working? Shrugging, I decided to meet her anyway. I was already in town and if she knew something about Summer that I didn’t, I’d like to know.

I was already depressed because I hadn’t got the job. I needed to get one soon – it wasn’t fair for Gina to pay the rent by herself. I’d already applied to Kathmandu, an Indian restaurant further down, that I really liked. Hopefully I would be more successful.

I stopped outside the restaurant, lingering at the entrance. The idea of going inside was too embarrassing, so I decided to take a table outside. Gina would know.

My eyes skimmed the menu and I was surprised it had changed. All my specialities had been wiped off the menu, only to be replaced by simpler things. I frowned. Was the new assistant chef that bad?

“Oh, hi Ali!” said a familiar voice. I looked up and smiled faintly. It was Jasmine – one of the waitresses I was good friends with. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m meeting Gina,” I replied and then handed back the menu. “I’ll have some tomato soup.”

Jasmine looked at me with pity.

“That’s the cheapest thing on the menu, Ali...”

“I know,” I sighed. “Don’t tell Dennis I’m here. I’d rather not see him.”

“No problem,” she said. Then, in a lower voice, she added, “And if you need to borrow money, I’ll be happy to lend you some.”

“Thanks,” I said gratefully. She smiled and left. I was definitely going to give her a big tip.

After about ten seconds I heard someone coming and looked up, expecting Gina’s fiery-red hair and concerned green eyes.

But instead I was met with intense blue eyes and extremely dark hair – Dennis.

“Oh great,” I groaned, banging my head against the table as he sat down. “What do you want?”

“A word,” he said simply.

“You’re barring me, aren’t you?! That’s so stupid! I’m a paying customer, I shouldn’t be barred from here –“

“Shut up,” he said harshly and glanced down at his watch. “I’m supposed to be in the kitchen.”

“Well go,” I said forcefully, very aware that my hands were balled up into fists. I was tempted to whack him like I did with Lisa...

“I’m offering you your job back,” he stated. I stared at him. He drummed his fingers on the table while he waited for me to answer. “Say something then!” he said after a long moment of silence.

“We’ve gone through this,” I answered, scraping my chair back so I could stand up. When I did, I added, “And the answer is no.”

“Wait!” he said frantically, leaping to his feet to grab my arm. It was a rough gesture but it didn’t hurt; it sent a jolt through me. I wrenched it out of his grasp and my heart was racing. It was just a surprise – that’s why you feel shaky, I said to myself.

“I’m supposed to be meeting Gina,” I said.

Dennis laughed, shaking his head.

“No, you’re not.”

“I am,” I insisted, backing away from him slightly.

I sent the text,” he responded. “I took her phone and sent you a message. She wouldn’t let me so I had to trick her.”

His words sunk into my mind and I was suddenly furious – more furious than I was before.

“You... freak!” I exclaimed, shuffling backwards until my back met the restaurant window. “Who does that?!”

“Ali, I –“

“Why are you so obsessed with me?” I cried, interrupting him. He looked defeated. “Is it because I’m your wife’s sister? Are you trying to make up for what you did by being so nice to me?! Do you still want her?”

It made little sense but that was the only reason I could think of. Why else would he be so nice to me? He hates me! Just like I hate him!

“No, Ali, believe it or not but I actually like you. And... make up for what I did? What did I do?”

 “Like you don’t know!” I yelled right back at him, ignoring his other statement. “You cheated on her, you... you jerk!”

“I... is that what she told you?” he whispered, looking so shocked that I stopped right in my tracks. Why was this such a surprise for him..?

“Y-yes,” I said, now uncertain of myself. Summer... Summer wouldn’t lie, would she? “Why?”

His face was expressionless when he answered.

“Because it wasn’t me who cheated, Ali. It was Summer.”

______________________________________________________

Okay...I'm uploading so frequently because on Sunday my brother is leaving for uni (yes!!!) but he's taking his laptop with him. I've been using his laptop all summer and when he leaves, there won't be a computer :( SO that means I'll have to write it down in my notebook and copy into Microsoft Word in school and THEN post it :S

Basically, the updates will be slower on weekdays....(my bro comes back on weekends)

ANYWAY,

Yay, finally Summer's secret is out! :D xxx hope you liked it!