Chapter 15: Birthday

Recap:

"It's fine," he said quickly, and then held out his hand. I looked at it, confused. "Shake it. I want us to be friends."

"Friends?" I blurted. Excitement bubbled up inside me, but I quickly shoved the thought away. There was nothing amazing about being his friend.

He nodded and I shook his hand. I wasn't sure why I was agreeing to being to his friend, but it felt like the right thing to do.

Chapter 15

-- Ali's POV --

             "Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday to you! Happy birthday dear Ali-"

             I groaned. Birthdays. I used to love them when I was a kid, but now they were dreaded. Just a few more years til I was going to hit the big three-oh. 

             But, on the up side, I did get presents.

             "What did you get me?" I deadpanned, staring intently at Gina's hands which were behind her back. 

             Grinning, she pulled out a perfectly wrapped present - clearly done by herself. I bit my lip while unwrapping it, careful not to rip the paper. Gina was literally breathing down my neck. She hated wasting wrapping paper.

             "Oh..." I said, pulling out the neatly folded dress. It was black and felt soft between my fingers. "It's lovely!"

             "Wear it tonight," she said, winking. 

             "What?" I cried. "No! This is gorgeous! It's only for special occasions."

             "Ah," said Gina, smirking. "Did I forget to tell you?"

             I knew that look.

             "Tell me what?"

             "Well..."

             "Gee!" I hissed, clutching the dress tightly in my fists. 

             "You're having a party!"

             "What?!"

             I stood up but Gina was way too fast for me. She legged it, diving into her room and locking it behind her. Angrily I tugged on the door knob but it wouldn't budge. 

             "Gina!" I roared.

             Like birthday, but unlike presents, I did not like parties. Saying hello to relatives I hated and blowing out the birthday candles like a kid didn't float my boat. Gina knew that, yet she went against me anyway.

             "Who's coming?" I called, leaning against the door.

             "Everyone from work! Except Lisa."

             My heart leapt into my throat. Did that mean Dennis was coming too? It had been two weeks since we had shook on our new 'friendship'. Nobody could understand it, not even Gina, and she knew all about Summer and Dennis. Even I couldn't understand it, but we were pretty good friends so far.

             "Oh and another thing. Um... I invited Summer."

**

             I refused to go to this 'party'. Not only had she planned it secretly (knowing I would hate it) but she invited Summer! What the hell? Didn't she understand that Summer and me were in a fight? It's not like I can try to forgive her again.

             "Happy birthday!" spat Lisa as I entered the kitchen that day. I smirked at her but didn't reply. Dennis was on the verge of ripping her head off. Their 'relationship' was going downhill, not that it was surprising. All Dennis had to do was man-up and dump her.

             "Thanks, Lisa!" I said, punching her on the arm. It was supposed to look like a friendly gesture but nobody was fooled when Lisa let out a cry and stumbled back. Since Dennis wasn't around, she decided to leave it and join Violet.

             "Don't sink to her level," Gina whispered in my ear as we walked over to our station.

             "But it's so fun!" I whispered back, grinning. When she opened her mouth to talk, I interrupted her by saying, "Gina, it's my birthday! Let me have a little fun!"

             Gina pursed her lips.

             "Happy birth-"

             "Yeah, yeah," I said, waving my hand dismissively at the person talking. I'd had enough of people saying that. "Off you go."

             I looked up and met the piercing blue eyes of Dennis. He looked amused. I felt mortified. Did I just tell my Boss to go away?

             "I mean- um, thanks!" I corrected quickly with a goofy smile.

             "Better," he commented.

             "Now go away," I ordered, playfully shoving him away as I felt Lisa's gaze on me. For once, she didn't look spiteful. She looked a bit sad. She wasn't even looking at me; her eyes were fixed on Dennis.

             Ugh, she doesn't have feelings for him, does she?

             I hoped not, because if she did, she was going to get seriously heartbroken when Dennis ended it. Not that I liked her or anything. I wouldn't wish something like that on my worst enemy.

             A searing-hot pain broke me out of my thoughts and somebody screamed. It took me a second to realise the scream had left my lips and I had somehow managed to spill hot soup down my front.

             Slick, Ali.

__________________________________________________

Okay, this was so boring!!!! :(

But I'm hoping to update real quick :D This was just a filler before I wrote about the party! I had to fit her birthday in somewhere since she's not a vampire and DOES age ;D

Anyways, I'm sorry again for the boringness. Please:

<< VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!

To make me feel happy :)