The Exchange

By KellyGe

Exchange (v.): 1. Hailey Brookes trades in her original summer plans to, instead, swap places with a famil... More

The Exchange Summary
EDITED VERSION: Free on Radish!
Prologue: Summer (and Other Stressful Things)
Chapter 1: Surprises
Chapter 2: Guys and Girls
Chapter 4: Matt and All That
Chapter 5: Fun and Games
Chapter 6: Back to the Basics
Chapter 7: Week of Wonders
Chapter 8: Weekend of Whys
Chapter 9: Feelings on the Field
Chapter 10: Back in Town
Chapter 11: All Around Town
Chapter 12: Wild Times
Chapter 13: Double Something
Chapter 14: Uptown, Downtown
Chapter 15: From Field to Formal
Chapter 16: Fun or Friends
Chapter 17: Diner Days
Chapter 18: Bliss and Blues
Chapter 19: Vacay, Okay
Chapter 20: Summer Loving
Epilogue: The Freshman Four
Author's Note
New A/N + New Story
TANNER SPINOFF: BETWEEN THE LINES
1 // BONUS

Chapter 3: Soccer Players and Sundaes

32.5K 1.1K 127
By KellyGe

After the soccer practice ends, I find Matt in the parking lot hanging around some other players and a few girls. His face lights up when he sees me and, much to the dismay of a brunette flirting with his right arm, he grabs me by the elbow and pulls me in to the circle.

"Everyone, this is Hailey, a guest for the summer," Matt motions to me, and then a bright blue car in a parking spot  a few metres away. "We're heading out now to an ice cream place in Nick's car."

"Ey Dewchester, are we going now?" Tanner saunters over and gives me a wink. "If your new girl is coming, I'm definitely in. Maybe I should call up Sarah too."

Matt shoots back a, "Shut it Wilkins," and slings an arm over my shoulders, a little too protectively I think, and I find myself fumbling meekly with a series of "I'm nots" and "buts." 

To this, Tanner gives me a not-so-subtle once-over and with a hard poke at the number on the back of my tee, says, "But I think you are. I wouldn't mind if you weren't though."

And so I find myself squeezing in to an uncomfortably small backseat, wedged between the two co-captains of the soccer team who apparently shared a common distaste for one another. Tanner smirks the entire ride there and Matt, seeming to sense my discomfort, stretches an arm out behind me. I edge a little closer to him to avoid Tanner's creeping hands, and I can't help but feel a sense of comfort and security when Matt gives me a gentle reassuring squeeze. 

I can feel a swirl of emotions crumbling my inner walls and a building confusion wreaking havoc with my heart. What? Why? Now?  Who's Sarah?

And But Ben? There is no Ben anymore, Hailey.

Much to my relief, I don't have to confront this thought as we pull up to a pastel pink building on the side of a park and pile out on to a sidewalk. 

---

That night, the Dewchesters call to say that they'll be staying in Toronto an extra day and Matt decides to order take-out for dinner.

"So," Matt begins, after he swallows a bite of chicken. "Sorry about Tanner today. I'm a little surprised he made such a quick move. Then again, he always does when he thinks a girl is already taken. I mean, are you actually taken?"

"I think he probably did it to annoy you," I remark, flinching a little at his question. "You guys seem to have a riva-"

"Just captaining issues," Matt says quickly, with a shrug. "Off the topic of Tanner then, I'm a little curious."

Heat rises to my cheeks at his blunt statement and I pick at the food on my plate before answering. 

"Just curious. You don't have to-" He adds quickly.

"We broke up a little over a week ago," I cut him off and pick some more at my food, before softening my tone. "And I still don't even know why."

Matt's silence feels oddly comforting, more so than any empty words and I find myself continuing.

He's going to the University too. 

I mean it's fine, it was just a high school relationship. 

It was really sudden though, he just got back from a trip. 

He actually plays soccer too.

The words escape out of my mouth in a jumble but I feel lighter with each sentence. I hadn't had the time to confide properly in my mom or my closest friend, Emma, and it was a relief that Matt was there. It seemed to restore a bit of hope, a promise that the events in the week earlier, and perhaps my entire relationship with Ben would, with time, only be a phase that I could and would move on from. 

However, I notice Matt's slight frown and I tilt my head. Was it disappointment that I sensed? Had he expected a straight-forward yes or no?

But the running through of my own story sparks a memory of a name Tanner mentioned during practice and so, I blurt out:

"Who's Sarah?" 

---

Edit in: I think I wrote this somewhere else too but there was about a year's gap between these first few chapters and when I continued writing on, so excuse the change in style :')) I like to think it got better :'))

A/N: Hey guys! Hoping for some feedback, so if you've been liking The Exchange so far, please comment, upvote, or send a follow/message my way :)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.5K 1.7K 81
Good grades, affluence, and opportunities, Sophia Parrish has everything a 17-year old girl could possibly want. That is, until a summer vacation wit...
18.3K 435 32
~Book 1 in the Stonebrook Series~ 7 years ago Tessa left Stonebrook for New York City. With a broken heart and tears in her eyes, she left her world...
600K 19.9K 32
Four years. Four years ago, he left her. And now he's back, showing up at her bookstore, asking for a second chance. Oh, and for his book to be sold...
369K 8.6K 41
What do you do when your boyfriend of two years cheats on you and gets caught at junior prom, in front of the whole school? You grieve, you suffer, a...