My Delivery Boy

By affiniteas

Maisie Lockhart is your non-believer of "love at first sight". Until, it may become an awaken belief when a p... More

00 | Attraction
01 | Break Up
02 | Tears and Rebirth
03 | Double Date
04 | Officially Employed
05 | Reunited and It Feels No Good?
06 | The Beauty and The Nuisance
07 | Daisie Gives a Pair of Eyes
08 / University Life
09 / Discovery of the Hazelnut Coffee Lover
11 / Rescuer in Disguise
12 / Wishful Thinking
13 / A Daisy's Confession
14 / Heartstrings
15 / The Belated Birthday Gift
16 / Destined at Birth
17 / Where Loyalty Stays
18 / Under the Spotlight
19 / What Matters Most
20 / Delivery Boy's Request
21 / Accomplished Accomplice
22 / Misinterpretations & Appreciations
23 / A Valentino Vacation
24 / First Kiss?
25 / Compromise
26 / The Forgotten Fortune
27 / Math Equation
28 / Broken Promise
29 / Those Hidden Colors
30 / Fate
31 / Surprised Awakening
32 / A Clean Slate
Epilogue / Daisie loves her Delivery Boy

10 / Unexpected Secrets and Invitation

73.3K 2.5K 585
By affiniteas

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

10 / Unexpected Secrets and Invitation

Since I was so curious about Logan's hazelnut coffee mystery, I gave him a text if it was okay to meet up once I finished helping out in the market. I knew wasn't a serious topic, but seeing the way Bryce reacted made me think. What made me feel guilty was when Logan replied back, saying that he wouldn't mind driving over to the market instead. It has been a while since Logan had time to spare.

Taking care of Lockhart's Pantry by myself today, a rush of nervousness ceased over me once I saw Logan walk through our market doors. I haven't had an actual conversation with Logan since who knew when. Sure, we would wave to one another at the hotel for a millisecond when we happened to pass by each other. Most of the time, Logan had to keep his mind on Phoenix Empire.

As Logan approached me in his usual business attire, he gave me a smile.

"Hey, how are you? Is your arm doing better?"

Nodding my head, I pointed at my somewhat healing stitches. 

"I'm great! It's become more of an accessory, if you ask me. Thanks for coming here, Logan."

Logan laughed at my enthusiasm. He looked so carefree as his eyes crinkled through his chuckling.

"That's some jewelry you got there. Don't worry about it, I needed to get out of the hotel. So, what's the thing you wanted to ask me about?"

Were the Valentino boys really under that much stress?

Chuckling hesitantly, I asked as I messed with the ends of hair, "This might come out weird — don't think of it like that though — but, do you like hazelnut coffee?" 

Great, with the way I said it, I just made it even more awkward.

Logan's dark eyebrows knitted in confusion and replied, "Sorry, but what makes you ask that?"

I couldn't even look at Logan in the eye anymore.

"It's kind of a long story. When I saw Bryce the other day, I took a sip of his drink, and it was hazelnut coffee. I told him you both liked it, but he didn't believe me. Bryce said that you hated it and to ask you to prove it." 

As Logan listened, he didn't reply, but instead, his jaw clenched noticeably with sudden hesitation. Apologizing soon after, never did I want to make a situation awkward. 

"It's okay, sorry if I made things... uncomfortable."

After a pause, Logan finally spoke, "It's not like that. I'll be honest with you, I really don't." 

My mind went back to that day at Brightside Café. Logan seemed pleased with the drink. Why fake something like that?

Raising an eyebrow, I murmured out of curiosity, "You didn't have to pretend to like it. It's okay to drink what you like."

The Valentino seemed half attentive, like his thoughts were on something else. 

Logan eventually nodded his head and revealed, "I... well, I actually asked Vanessa earlier that day what drink you liked just so I would be prepared when we met up. When I drank it with you though, it tasted decent. But Maisie, I can't tell you the reason why right now."

I nodded back, understanding. No big deal, right? Letting the awkward atmosphere lighten, I smiled jokingly.

"Don't worry about something like that. I forgive you for your horrible lie."

Logan's posture became less tense, and he grinned in gratitude for ridding away the tension. 

"It would have worked if Bryce didn't reveal my dark secret."

"Whoa, surprised to see you here, Logan." 

It was Mason.

Our interaction broke off as we glanced over to Mason approaching us. Mason was wearing his usual simple black tee and jeans, carrying his trusty acoustic guitar with that signature grin on his face. The kid was graduating in two weeks. I had to say, I was very proud of him. 

Last night, Mason showed me his yearbook and how he was given the title "most talented" out of the whole senior class.

Logan soon greeted Mason with a handshake. The two got along so well, but I wasn't surprised — Logan was a great guy. He soon took a look at Mason's guitar, complimenting it.

Mason smirked.

"Thanks man. You play?"

To my amazement, Logan nodded with a small grin. As a response, Mason offered his guitar for Logan to showcase his ability. My younger brother would always try to find someone to compete with.

Logan gave out a soft chuckle as he lightly warned, "I haven't played in a while... You're graduating soon, aren't you?" 

As Mason nodded his head, Logan grew a charming smile.

"Okay then, so I'll dedicate this song to the Lockhart family. For congratulating Mason... and for the need of forgiveness from Maisie." 

That caused a giggle to escape from my mouth.

As Logan strummed the guitar, Mason tossed me a confused expression, but my attention was stuck on Logan. His playing was absolutely mesmerizing. There was always that special something about a guy who could play guitar. Even Mason seemed impressed which was — mark my words — highly rare.

Several people, who were doing some grocery shopping, stopped to find where that sound was coming from. The few females who recognized him as Logan Valentino all broke out into sheepish grins and giggled amongst one another. I couldn't blame them.  Was there anything these Valentino's were bad at? Once Logan was done playing, I gave him a cheerful applause, and Mason nodded his head in approval.

Taking the guitar back into his hands, Mason complimented with a sideways grin, "Not bad, Valentino."

Logan smiled warmly at the two of us and mentioned, "I don't normally play in front of people, so this is a secret between us three."

                                                     .        .        .

It was finally Mason's graduation. 

No words could express the joy and love he received that day. I couldn't help but grin proudly when they called his name. Okay, I didn't just grin proudly — I stood up from the cold metal benches of my old high school football stadium and shouted to my heart's content. 

To make Mason's day even better, I bought Vanessa along to his graduation. When the two hugged, he caught eye contact with me and mouthed the words, thank you.

No matter what, Mason was always going to be my silly younger brother.

While we were all crowding around Mason, I felt Pops place his broad hand across my shoulder. 

His soft eyes were glassy as he told me, "It seems like only yesterday you were the one graduating. I'm so proud of you two." 

Gosh Pops, you didn't have to make me cry. That was a very memorable day.

To add the cherry to this wonderful ice cream sundae, a few days after Mason's graduation, I had my usual check up with the doctor. I was finally able to get my stitches removed. 

It would still take time to fully heal, but at least the cut finally closed up. Now, I didn't have to be so disgusted looking at my arm.

Today, my family were all at Lockhart's Pantry — family bonding to start the summer! We were doing our routine stock and inventory. 

Throughout the whole afternoon, Pops and Mason were jokingly complaining at me for not treating them at Symphony's for Mason's graduation. It wasn't like I didn't want my family colliding with Legends at all cost. I was because I overheard my coworkers talking that Bryce's mom was having a group conference there the same day. I didn't want to cause an uprising if they saw how cold Bryce's mom treated me.

My mood always dropped whenever I happened to stumble across Bryce's mom. She would always smile courteously to those who passed by her, from guests to a few workers. However, when she caught sight of me, her lips fell tremendously into a frown. Her scowling expression would stay etched onto her face until I lost eye contact with her. I guess you could say I was already used to it. 

Not only was she resentful towards me because of the Valentino dinner event, but the fact her son almost got into trouble at school because of me added more fuel to the flame.

Carrying a box of shipment, I said in my defense, "I took you guys to Iridescent. That place is so good — even better. Right Mom?" 

Mom nodded in agreement. Good thing she was on my side. I didn't think I'd be able to handle three against one. Mason chortled as he rolled his eyes.

"Last time I heard, you said that you loved the food at Symphony's," he then cleared his throat, changing his voice as if he was mimicking me, "I'll even quote your words 'it filled my stomach will utter happiness'."

Soon after, my parents were laughing at Mason's entertainment. My lies were getting caught by this punk. Before I could counter back, our attention was taken away when a customer came walking through the store doors.

This wasn't your average customer though. It was Bryce Valentino. 

He was wearing a white v-neck shirt paired with a trendy leather jacket and dark washed jeans. His black shoes complimented his outfit as a whole — this delivery boy had style.

Back to the point.

What kind of business would Bryce be having here? 

My eyes widened, and I quickly glanced over to see my family's reaction. Mason grinned slightly, seeing Bryce stroll in. Pops and Mom greeted him, and Bryce gave them both a captivating smile. Once Bryce caught sight of me, he smirked as usual.

Placing the box on the floor, I asked not too harsh, "Bryce, what are you doing here?"

Pops coughed a reminder, "Maisie, you shouldn't treat a customer, especially a friend of yours like that." 

Bryce looked at my parents and in reply, he shook his head saying that it was fine. He appeared to be the perfect guy at the moment.

"No, it's my fault for coming here without notice. I actually came here to ask you two something. It's concerning your daughter." 

What on earth was this delivery boy planning? 

My parents nodded their heads in unison, waiting for Bryce to continue. Bryce had this enchanting smile on which I knew Mom would fall for — it was kind of rubbing onto me. 

Bryce's icy blue eyes reached my parents, and he announced confidently, "It's my birthday coming up this June. Since there's a party being thrown for me becoming twenty-one. it would be nice if your daughter could attend."

Who did this guy think he was? He thought playing the "asking the girl's parents first" card would work?

Well, let me tell him, that was not —

"Sure, that's fine with us," Mom replied with a pleased smile.

Not the answer I was looking for!

Pops appeared quite impressed with the manners Bryce was showing. Looking over at me, Pops grinned. 

"That's really nice of you, Bryce. Did you hear that, Maisie? He wants you to be there." 

I smiled bitterly and noticed the grin gradually growing on Bryce's lips. He knew this was killing me inside. I just knew it.

Shouldn't I be happy that he wanted me to go though?

Bryce soon gave my parents a sincere look.

"That means a lot to me. I apologize for bothering you all. I'll be heading out now. So, I'll see you there, Maisie?"

Hopeless, I simply nodded my head even though in the back of my mind I was screaming with mixed emotions. Before his departure, Bryce looked over at Mason and congratulated him for graduating.

Bryce suggested with a friendly grin, "You should invite your friends over to Legends. I could rent out the bowling space and arcade if you'd like."

Mason's brown eyes illuminated happily as he chimed, "For real? That would be awesome! Thanks, man."

I couldn't believe my family was falling for this act — or was it real? Bryce waved a goodbye to everyone before he smiled cunningly at me and walked out. Pursing my lips, my ears were soon being flooded with praise for Bryce Valentino.

Mason stated to Pops, "I think I'm staring to like Bryce more."

Coughing, I joked, "Make up your mind, Mason. You're always stuck between Logan and Bryce." 

My parents chuckled as Mason stuck his tongue out, mocking me once more.

Through it all, I heard Mom say to herself, "He looks exactly like him..."

"What did you say, Mom?" I asked, tilting my head with curiosity.

"Oh, nothing dear. You know, I'm happy for you, right?" 

Her eyes were suddenly filled with joy before returning her attention to the boxes of crackers that needed some sorting. That was weird. She probably thought no one caught that, or maybe I was just hearing things.

Still, I couldn't believe Bryce did that. This delivery boy always seemed unpredictable.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4M 143K 60
The story of Abeer Singh Rathore and Chandni Sharma continue.............. when Destiny bond two strangers in holy bond accidentally ❣️ Cover credit...
1.8M 114K 200
**Story is gonna be slow paced. Read only if you have patience. 🔥** Isha Sharma married a driver whom she had just met. She was taking a huge risk...
4.3M 106K 52
Summer is her favorite time of the year. Because that's when she gets to watch (not stalk) the boy she fell in love with who lives across the street...
3.2M 75.1K 38
River Snow has always lived a normal, boring life, and she's sick of it. Being homeschooled, she has no outside life on her family's farm except for...