18 / Under the Spotlight

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

18 / Under the Spotlight

"Maisie, you look absolutely beautiful. Why the long face?" 

Logan's voice swayed gently into my eardrums.

See, this was not a dream. 

It so happened that today — this ruined Saturday — was Candace's welcoming party, and I happened to be cordially invited. At first, I thought it was another one of her sick jokes when she dropped a frilly invitation in my work locker. 

Kind of creepy how she knew these things.

However, I eventually found an explanation for going. Candace forcefully partnered herself with Bryce for the night, Vanessa with David — not like they were complaining  — and I was with Logan — I didn't mind that either. Not even trying to understand what Candace's intentions may be, I was simply here to accompany Logan.

And, why was Logan calling me beautiful? 

I honestly didn't think it was me. 

It was my dress.

When I came home Friday night, I found a package waiting for me. I discovered that it was from Carly. 

Carly left a note in her kiddie handwriting saying: 

Wear this to Candace's lame party. YOU will look FAB-U-LOUS!

Just everything about Carly was shocking, but I couldn't help but love her even though I barely know the girl. She was like a little sister sent from the universe. Literally. 

Once I opened the box, there was a dress inside that was extremely jaw dropping. The little girl has good taste. 

The dress was a shimmery teal that was above the knees and had enough layers throughout the bottom to emphasize volume. It was strapless and sweetheart shaped with a crystal beaded trim, hugging my body nicely. My chocolate brown hair that was now curled at the ends and black small sequined pumps I wore tied the outfit as a whole.

When I walked out of my room, my parents were in awe before claiming that I looked a celebrity. All parents had to say that to their kids, you know.

Blushing lightly, I shrugged.

"It's nothing. You're not so bad yourself, Logan."

Logan looked very handsome in a nicely fit tuxedo with his hair stylishly fixed up. He generously picked me up from my house, and here we are in Legends Hotel. It didn't surprise me, knowing that Candace's welcome party would be thrown here and hosted by Bryce's mother.

As soon as we came walking in the ballroom, I definitely got that Hollywood feeling. The ballroom was glamorous with a red carpet, an elegant staircase when you walk in from across, tons of paparazzi and guests swarming the place — your typical A-class party. 

My eyes widened at how packed the place was. However, I cringed unpleasantly when I saw a banner saying Candy's Wonderland. Was Candace twelve or something? The ballroom was splashed with pink from the balloons to the tables.

Kill my eyes now, please.

"Maisie!" A voice broke my thoughts.

Snapping back into reality, I was formally linking arms with Logan who must have noticed my absent-mind. It wasn't Logan who said that though.

Vanessa was strolling towards me as David followed behind her. The two were holding hands that I smiled at their cuteness. When they reached a reasonable distance, Vanessa's green eyes widened with excitement. She pulled me into a hug until I couldn't breathe.