27 / Math Equation

© an affiniteas 2011-2012 ink on Wattpad

27 / Math Equation

Carly grinned ear to ear as she jumped up and down.

"Lockhart, does this mean that you and Bryce are officially together now? Like boyfriend and girlfriend!"

How was I supposed to answer this? 

Glancing around the currently busy market, I replied with an honest tone, "Carly, I actually don't know."

The little girl scrunched her nose, letting out a complaint, "You don't know? He kissed you! Bryce didn't ask you to be his girlfriend after that?"

It had been two days since our return from the Valentino's vacation. 

Saying goodbye to the Romano's and Zack was something I hated to do, but we assured them that we would see each other again. Zack even invited Vanessa and me to his wedding. Ever since our arrival back, thing was somewhat normal again. 

Except the fact that everyone's eyes were on Bryce and me about our "statuses".

Before I could find words to reply, I heard Carly scream, "Hey! If you're not going to buy it, put it back!"

Holy crap.

The shady high school kid shook from the little girl's outburst, placing the candy back in the aisle. He flushed from embarrassment, seeing how he was clearly caught, before escorting himself out of the market.

Maybe Carly should keep an eye on the store. She was doing a better job than me.

That was a bad thing, right?

Carly shook her head side to side, folding her arms.

"It scares me that that's the future before me. Reminds me of Mason and his friends. They were acting ridiculous at the water park."

Amused, I inquired through a chuckle, "You were there with them?"

Carly nodded. 

Her blue-green eyes were dull as she recalled back to that moment, "Not really. I just happened to see them, and they were acting like a bunch of giggling girls prancing around the place. I was embarrassed to even approach him." 

Hearing that made me burst into laughter. Never did I expect a nine year old to make me laugh like that.

Carly Reynolds was an exception.

I couldn't wait to see the look on Mason's face when I told him about this.

She waved her hand around and returned back on topic, "You never answered my question, Lockhart. Did Bryce ask you to be his girlfriend?"

Bryce told me that I had been tugging his heartstrings — did that count? 

As she waited for a response, I finally concluded, "Bryce didn't say those exact words."

Carly frowned.

"Seriously? I'm going to talk to him."

Her response reminded me when I told Vanessa. Vanessa even stated that what Bryce did wasn't good enough. Were they expecting a parade of some sort? Then again, I was left confused too because Bryce wasn't so straightforward about it either.

Shaking my head, I replied hesitantly, "You don't have to. Time is all... is takes, right?"

"You don't even sound confident with your answer, Lockhart!" Carly scolded with a teasing laugh.