A Lady and her Footman (a Dow...

By ChloBell18

***ON HOLD*** In 1900 an Irish girl was adopted from an orphanage in Dublin by a family when she was six, she... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25 (Christmas special: part 1)
Chapter 26 (Christmas Special: part 2)
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
A/N
It's my birthday!
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Its my birthday!!!

Chapter 1

11.1K 144 88
By ChloBell18

|| hello, I just want to say welcome to my story. I hope you guys love it just as much as I do, I love Downton Abbey and I really love Thomas Barrow lol I'm going to shut up now and let you read, enjoy||
________________________________

1912

I was woken up by someone knocking on my bedroom door. I sat up and moved my messy auburn hair out of my face.

Who is it?" I called, my voice still groggy from just waking up.

"It's Sophia milady."

"Come in." She opened the door and came in with her hands full of what I presume are clothes.

"Good morning milady." She gives me one of her loving smiles as she walks over to my dresser. When she reaches the dresser she opens the drawers and start's to put the clothes away. Once she is done she turns around to face me. when she faces me I give her a look, She raises a brow at me.

"What?" She asked while walking over to the Windows.

"You know what, you know I hate it when you call me milady." she looks at me once more before turning back around to open the curtains.

"You know I have to call you that, you're a lady and that is what I must call you." she moved all the curtains away from the Windows to welcome my eyes to the busy streets of Westminster London.

I sighed while getting out of bed, my bare feet touching the cold marble floor. Standing up I lift my arms above my head and stretch. Turning around to face her as I spoke.

"Well, I'm not a lady. I was adopted from an Irish orphanage remember?" She walked to my dresser and pulls out a blue silk and lace dress with a yellow long sleeves and a pattern on the chest and sleeves.

Walking over to her I take the dress from her and look at it then back at her.

"I don't need you to help me get dressed, I can do it just fine on my own."

"I know you can, but it's my job to help you." I looked down and sigh.

"I know it is, it's just Growing up in the orphanage I had to do everything for myself. I guess I'm just not used to having help with things cause I was never given it." I felt her put her hands on my shoulders. I looked up at her to see her give me another one of her loving smiles.

"I know you're not used to people helping you with everything. You were adopted by a loving family and they loved you very much. And now you have a new family that loves you just as much. And you are not that little girl from the orphanage anymore. like it or not you're a lady, Lady Lilliana Carmichael And your father has lord Marcus Carmichael and your mother was Lucia Carmichael. You're only 19 love, you will get used to the whole idea of it all. I promise." I smiled at her and hugged her, She hugged me back and kissed the top of my head. We pulled away and she rubbed my arms while giving me a comforting smile, she dropped her arms to to take the dress from mine.

"Let's get you dressed, yeah?" I nodded and let her help.

~~~~

After we got the dress on, I thanked her once she was done. I got up and walked over to the Windows and looked out over the City of London. Looking out over the busy streets, cars and carriages going down the roads, people walking along the sidewalks. Oh how I miss the countryside. I miss home. 

"Lilly?" I turned around to look at Sophia.

"Her Majesty the Queen is waiting for you in the dining room for breakfast." walking away from the Windows I joined Sophia in the hall. She closes the door once we were both in the hallway, she turns to me and smiled before walking down the hall, and I walk the other way towards the dining room.

~~~~

Turning a few corners and walking down a few stairs I finally make it to the dining room. Walking in, I see Her Majesty sitting at the end of the table.

"Good morning, your Majesty." She looked up from her breakfast to greet me.

"Good morning, my dear." She said with a smile. I returned her smile as I sat down in the chair across the table. Once I sat down our butler Mr. Phelps sets my breakfast down on the table in front of me.

"Thank you, Mr. Phelps" I gave him a smile which he did not return.

Out of all the staff here Sophia is the only one with a heart, to me that is. I looked down at my food and picked up my fork and begin to eat.

A few moments later I looked up from my food to see Mr. Phelps bringing Her Majesty the morning paper. He bowed before walking away. I looked back down at my food as I hear a gasp at the other end of the table.

I looked up to see Queen Mary with a look of shock on her face with the paper laying on the table. worried I ask.

"What is the matter? What's happened?" I put down my fork as she finally looks at me and spoke.

"The Titanic has sunk." I looked to her shocked. The Titanic was supposed to be unsinkable. apparently not.

"My word, were there any survivors?" She looks back down at the paper fixing her spectacles.

"A few, but not as many as there should have been." All those innocent lives lost. All the family's torn apart. Heartbreaking.

Pushing my plate away I take a sip of my water sitting by my tea. Mr. Phelps came in again, this time carrying a silver plater with a letter on it. He bends down so she can grab it. She grabs along with the letter opener.

I let my eyes wonder around the room as I hear the ripping of the paper. After a few moments of silence I look over at her to see her folding the letter and putting it back in the envelop and sat it on the table.

One of our Footman poured her some tea as she looked at me with a faint smile. Sitting up straighter I asked "What is it? What was in the letter?" She poured some cream in her tea as she speaks.

"I remember how you've told me that when you're old enough you wanted to travel, to get out of the city. To get out of here."

"I didn't mea-"

"I know what you meant" she cut me off as she put two spoons full of sugar in her tea.

"So I have taken The liberty to write to a dear old friend of mine. The Dowager Countess, Lady Grantham. She lives in Yorkshire with her family. And I know how much you miss the countryside so, this will be good for you."

"Where in Yorkshire does she live?" I asked grinning ear to ear like a Cheshire Cat. She stood up as she spoke.

"Downton Abbey." I've heard about Downton, I've heard it is a beautiful estate.

"Thank you, I very much appreciate it your Majesty." She smiled at me as she left the room. getting up I followed her out into the hall.

"When will I be going to Downton?" She turned to me.

"Well, I would go get my things packed. You should be on the first train to Yorkshire in the morning." Nodding I go back to my room to pack grinning the whole way there.

~~~~

I'm woken up the next day by the sun shining throughly the crack in the curtains. Sitting up I get out of bed and pulling my hair out of my face as I walk over to the dresser. Sophia walks in.

"You're up early. Would you like me to run you a bath?"

"Yes, thank you Sophia"

Once I was finished with my bath Sophia helped me get dressed in a white long sleeves blouse with a long dark purple skirt that went to the middle of my waist and down to my ankles with a little bit of black on the trim and on the buttons.

I sat down at my vanity and let her do my hair, she put my hair into a braid letting it fall down my back. After she finished there was a knock at the door

"Are you ready milady?" Asked one of the footman.

"Yes I am." He walked in and grabbed my bags then walked out. Looking at Sophia she smiled and gave my hand a squeeze before following the footman out the door. Looking at my self in the mirror I moved my braided hair over my shoulder, I always wondered which one of of my parent I looked like the most. Did I get my feckless from my mum or dad? Did he or she have auburn hair? do I have his or her eyes? I guess I'll never know.

Looking at myself one last time I give myself a small smile before grabbing my black coat and hat walking towards the door. grabbing the handle I give my room one last look before closing the door for good.

~~~~

Walking outside I see the staff lined up along with Her Majesty standing in front of them. Walking to her I smile.

"Thank you your grace for everything you've done for me." She gave me the most loving smile I've ever seen her give. Grabbing my hands she spoke.

"You are very welcome my dear." She lets go of my hands as I walk over to Sophia. I gave her a small smile which she returned. looking at each other for a moment I wrap my arms around her shoulders and squeezed tight. She wraps her arms around my back and squeezes me even tighter.

"I'm gonna miss you, you know." I whispered into her ear.

"I know, I'm gonna miss you too." Pulling away as I hear the car pull up. The chauffeur gets out and takes my bags and straps them to the car. After he was finished, he opened the door for me. Sophia squeezed my hands one last time as I stepped in.

He closed the door and went over to his side and got in and started it. I turned around in my seat as he began to drive away. I waved as he pulled out of Buckingham Palace.

~~~~

Once Buckingham Palace was out of view I turned back around in my seat and looked out the window at the busy streets of London.
~~~~

We pulled into Kings Cross Station, the driver got out of the car and opened my door. He offered his hand which I took as I stepped out of the car.

"Thank you Freddy." I say as I give him a smile. Freddy was around my age, He's the kindest person on the staff, apart from Sophia of course. He gave me a small smile as he got my suitcases off onto the back of the car, an attendant came and helped Freddy carry the suitcases.

"Shall we go milady?"

I nodded my head as he offered me his arm which I took as we walked into the station. We made it to the platform that my train Would pull into at any moment. He put my carry on by his feet and he pulled his arm away.

"It's been an honor to serve you milady" I smiled.

"Can I have a hug for the trip?" I asked opening my arms, he smiled.

As he wrapped his arms around my shoulders, I wrapped my arms around his waist.

"Good bye Freddy, I'll see you soon." letting go as I hear the train pull onto the platform. The attendant puts my bags in the luggage car.

I pick up my carry on I give Freddy one last smile as I walk over to the train. Walking up to the train an attendant opens the door for me, I step into the train car. Once I'm inside he shuts the door behind as I put my bag on the rack above my seat.

Sitting down, I look out my window to see Freddy still standing there on the platform. I waved at him as the train starts to pull out of the station. I sat my hands on my lap and look away from the window to observe the people in the train car with me.

I see an elderly couple sitting by the door In front of me holding hands. A mother with her child sitting directly in from of me, she's holding her son up on her lap so he can see out the window.

Then to my left is a man with a Cane and a black cap on his head. He looked to be in his early 50's. He looked at me and smiled I smiled back as I quit my observing and look back out the window for the rest of the journey.

~~~~

Hours later we finally made it to Yorkshire. I stood up to get my suitcase off the rack, but it gets stuck.

"Oh, bloody hell." I mumble under my breath. The man sitting next to me chuckles then put his bag down then helps me get mine. He reaches above me and gets it down with no problem. He hands it to me and smiled.

"Here you go, love." I smiled back.

"Thank you Mr.?" He extends his hand.

"Bates, John Bates. But you can just call me Mr. Bates. What about you love?" I extend my hand to shake his.

"Lilliana Carmichael, but you can just call me Lilly." Dropping our hands he smirks.

"You're Irish? What are you doing all the way here in Yorkshire?"

"I lived in London. But I'm staying here with a family friend." He smiles and nods his head before extending his arm towards the door so I can go first. I grab my suitcase and step out onto the platform.

Standing on the platform, I look around when I felt a hand on my shoulder, I turn around and its Mr. Bates.

"Well, it was wonderful getting to meet you Lilly. Now, I think this is where we part ways." I shake his hand again.

"I hope I see you around Mr. Bates. It was wonderful getting to meet you too." He gives me a small smile as we go our separate ways.

An attendant helps me get my baggage out of the luggage car then help me carry them outside to the car that is waiting for me. The chauffeur takes the luggage from the attendant and straps it to the car. Once he finished he opened the door for me.

I thanked him as I got in. He walked over to his side and got in. Once he was in he started the vehicle and we drove to our destination.

~~~~

The ride from the station to the Downton village was beautiful. Looking out my window all I saw was green. Green grass, green trees and meadows that went on for miles.

It's no London and I'm extremely happy about it. Looking forward we reached the village.

~~~~

Driving through, there was not a lot of people. You'll have a couple here and there or a mother and her child but that's about it.

We continued to drive until we started to drive on a dirt path through more green fields and trees. Until we came up to a hill, we reached the top... There it was.

Downton Abbey.

We finally reached the end of the dirt road and drove on gravel. We pulled up to the front door to see the staff lined up on the right side of the door and the Crawley family lined up on the left.

The car came to a stop as the chauffeur gets out and opens my door. He offers me his hand and I take it. I thanked him once I'm out and I turn to face the Crawley family. Lord Grantham greets me first.

"Lilliana Carmichael, it's a pleasure to get to meet you." He says with a smile as he extends his hand, I return the smile and shake his hand.

"It's wonderful to get to meet you too, Lord Grantham. I thought I was staying with Lady Violet?"

"Well, we thought that you would have a better time here with all of us then just the two of you alone at her Cottage." He said smiling.

"Well, that was very kind of all of you. Thank you." He grinned as Lady Grantham walked up to greet me with a hug.

"We're glad to have you here my dear." She pulls away, her hand still holding my forearms with a warm smile on her face. I smiled back as she and Lord Grantham introduced me to their three daughters.

"May I introduce Lady Mary, the eldest. Lady Edith, the second eldest. And Lady Sybil, the youngest." They all curtsied, as did I. Lord Grantham walks me over to the staff next, We started from the left side.

The first one was an older man with a stern face and thick bushy eyebrows.

"This is Mr. Carson. Head Butler and is the leader of everything that goes on downstairs"

"Hello Mr. Carson." He bowed.

"Hello milady." Next was an older woman who had a sweet presence about her and she had a kind look on her face.

"This is Mrs. Hughes. Head housekeeper, second leader downstairs." I gave a slight chuckle.

"It's nice to meet you Mrs. Hughes." She smiled.

"You too, dear." Beside Mrs. Hughes was a slightly younger woman, looked to be in her mid-40's. She had her brown hair pinned up with her bangs curled with a permanent scowl on her face. Not kind like Mrs. Hughes.

"This is Mrs. O'Brien, Lady Grantham's Lady's maid." I gave her a smile.

"Miss O'Brien." She gave a forced smile and a quart nod.

"Milady." Moving onto the next one, was a boy who looked a little older then me, but still quite young.

He had a smug look plastered onto his face, he was quite handsome. He had black hair and fair skin with high cheekbones. His lips were set in a permanent pout. Also he had the most beautiful pale green eyes imaginable.

Pulling myself out of my thoughts, I noticed I was still staring at him. I started to blush a little to which he noticed as he gave me a smirk.

"This is Thomas Barrow. First Footman." Still looking him in the eye as I spoke.

"Hello, Mr. Barrow." He bowed, not taking his eyes off as he did.

"Milady." He finished while giving me that smirk again.

Moving into the next staff member, Thomas's eyes still on me. We moved to another boy standing by him, he looked as he had a crooked jaw and Sandy blond hair. He was a little taller then Thomas.

"This is William Mason. Second Footman." He bowed as I greeted him.

"William." He have me a nod and a small smile. Then came the maids.

The first one had blonde hair and like Mrs. Hughes, had a sweet presence about her.

"This is Anna Smith. Head Housemaid." She curtsied then spoke.

"Nice to meet you Milady."

"It's nice to meet you too." She smiled and I copied her as we moved onto the next maid.

She had red hair and freckles on her cheeks like me. She had the same sweetness about her but also seemed shy.

"And this is Gwen Dawson. Second housemaid." Same as Anna, she curtsied and gave me a shy smile.

Once I was introduced to everyone Lord Grantham motioned towards the door.

"Now, should we get inside and get you settled?" Nodding my head.

"Yes we should." He put his hand on my back as he led me inside.

As we passed all the staff on the way in they curtsied or bowed. As I passed Thomas, I locked eye's with him again as he stood up from bowing. He gave me one last smirk as I turned my head to look in front of me. Well, this is going to be interesting.

We walked up to the doors Lady Grantham spoke.

"Welcome to Downton Abbey."

________________________________

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135K 3.2K 79
My name? My name is Y/N Downey, the daughter of the great Robert Downey Jr. Life with such a father is not exactly easy and you have to listen to a l...
24.5K 394 11
Lady Emma Crawley is the third child of Lord and Lady Grantham. She is extremely loyal to those who loves her and she believes family is the most imp...
14.6K 578 33
(Or Thomas leaves Downton to work for an odd couple and falls for his new boss.) A year after Lady Mary's wedding, hoping for a clean start, Thomas a...
65K 1.1K 83
REVISING! You're just Tom's little sister he never talked about. When out of the blue you get a call from him inviting you to Downton Abbey to meet h...