Born Of Fire

By GhostNinja

Phoenix is a young Fire Elemental from a city in the fire country called Yaag. He has the altogether unheard... More

Born Of Fire
Born Of Fire Chapter 2
Born Of Fire Chapter 3
Born Of fire Chapter 4
Born Of Fire Chapter 5
Born Of Fire Chapter 6
Born Of Fire Chapter 7
Born Of Fire Chapter 8
Born Of Fire Chapter 9
Born Of Fire Glossary
Born Of Fire Chapter 10
Born Of Fire Chapter 11
Born Of Fire Chapter 12
Born Of Fire Chapter 13
Born Of Fire Chapter 14
Born Of Fire Chapter 15
Born Of Fire Chapter 16
Born of Fire Chapter 17
Born Of Fire Chapter 18
Born Of Fire Chapter 19
Born Of Fire Chapter 20
Born Of Fire Chapter 21
Born Of Fire Chapter 22
Born Of Fire Chapter 23
Born Of Fire Chapter 24
Born Of Fire Chapter 25
Born Of Fire Chapter 26
Born Of Fire Chapter 27
Born Of Fire Chapter 28
Born Of Fire Chapter 29
Born Of Fire Chapter 30
Born Of Fire Chapter 31
Born Of Fire Chapter 32
Born Of Fire Chapter 33
Born Of Fire Chapter 34
Born Of Fire Chapter 35
Born Of Fire Chapter 36
Born Of Fire Chapter 37
Born Of Fire Chapter 38
Born Of Fire Chapter 39
Born Of Fire Chapter 40
Born Of Fire Chapter 41
Born Of Fire Chapter 42
Born Of Fire Chapter 43
Born Of Fire Chapter 44
Born Of Fire Chapter 45
Born Of Fire Chapter 46
Born Of Fire Chapter 47
Born Of Fire Chapter 48
Born Of Fire Chapter 49
Born Of Fire Chapter 50
Born Of Fire Chapter 51
Born Of Fire Chapter 53
Born Of Fire Chapter 54
Born Of Fire Chapter 55
Born Of Fire Chapter 56
Born Of Fire Chapter 57
Born Of Fire Chapter 58
Born Of Fire Chapter 59
Born Of Fire Chapter 60
Born Of Fire Chapter 61
Born Of Fire Chapter 62
Born Of Fire Chapter 63
Born Of Fire, Acknowledgements

Born of Fire Chapter 52

39.6K 569 76
By GhostNinja

Phoenix backpedaled quickly, putting some space between him and the eerily calm man before him. Secrat raised a hand, and flames sprang forth, coating his fingers with the red hot instrument of death. Gazing at his flaming hand as though it were the most interesting object in the world, Secrat spoke. “As of yet, I can‘t set my whole body ablaze as you can, nor can I turn my flame blue. But once you are dead, and I leave this place, I am sure I will figure it out. It may take a few years, but I will surpass your skills, and will not need the powers Demetrius has bestowed upon me.”

Phoenix kept walking backward, looking over Secrat, checking for a weakness. None presented itself, and Secrat kept stalking forward, the flames trailing behind his hands. Phoenix kept it out of his body language, but he was slowly building his power, aiming for one last single strike that he hoped would kill the man.

Without warning, Secrat jumped forward, slapping Phoenix across the face with his hand ablaze. The force of the blow was astounding, and Phoenix’s face slewed to the side, a black mark having spread across his cheek. Spots danced before his eyes, and he shook his head in an effort to clear them. They reduced in number, only partially blocking his vision. Secrat’s body danced before his eyes, though Phoenix knew Secrat was standing still. A perverse, tooth showing smile had spread across his features, and he raised his hand again.

The flaming appendage streaked toward his face once more, and Phoenix barely had time to duck below it. He scrambled away, almost running, almost crawling, in a mad rush to escape the blow. Finally, his equilibrium returned to normal and his vision corrected itself, so Phoenix stopped and stood, then turned to his opponent, malice coating his appearance. Igniting his body, Phoenix raised his arms away from himself, and let loose a long roar, turning the flame blue. Secrat hesitated for a split second, but Phoenix saw it. His confidence was beginning to waver, and Phoenix knew he could take advantage of that. 

Secrat started sprinting, and Phoenix stood his ground, awaiting his enemy. Phoenix raised his arms, causing a wave of flame to erupt from the ground, directly beneath Secrat. Not even slowed down, Secrat burst through the wall, still running full kilt toward Phoenix. Pulling back his ignited hand, Secrat punched for Phoenix’s face. Leaning backward at the waist, Phoenix watched the fist pass over his face, then tried to suck in breath when another fist slammed into his ribs, searing his clothes and singing his skin. The breath burst from his lungs, and he fell onto his back on the soft grass. Secrat raised a foot, and Phoenix rolled, hearing Secrat’s foot slam into the ground. Springing back onto his feet, his eyes shot to where Secrat’s foot was still embedded in the ground, up the calf. For someone who was not a Bachtalo, that should not have been possible. Even if he possessed the strength to push through the earth, his bones should not have been able to withstand the force.

Secrat still wore the same smile, and pulled his foot from the earth. Flashing to place himself in front of Phoenix, he kicked out, catching Phoenix in the stomach. Phoenix’s body was lifted from the ground, and he was catapulted many feet from where he had been. He slammed into the floor, rolling once he hit, then his body came to a stop. Placing his palms on the ground, Phoenix tried to raise himself from the ground, but he could not muster the strength. He dropped back to the ground, and lay facedown, trying to steady his breathing. Secrat’s feet padded toward him, then stopped in front of his face, and all Phoenix’s muddled mind could register was that Secrat’s boots were highly polished, and he could see the black streak on his cheek, and the single tear streaking down his face,

Secrat reached down, and grasped Phoenix by the collar, raising him from the ground effortlessly. Lindani screamed, Ember clasped her hands on front of her mouth, and Spedro started forward, Lindani at his heels. Secrat turned, and pointed a hand at them, and caused a ring of fire to ignite all around Phoenix and himself, secluding them from the others. 

He turned back to the limp man in his arms and sneered, triumph ringing in his voice.  “See Phoenix? Demetrius will control this land, and in me killing you, I will secure my spot at his right hand forever.”

Phoenix said nothing, accepting that this was to be where he died. Secrat continued, the fire around them reflecting in his eyes, adding to the fearsome look he already wore. “You crossed me twice, but no more. And don‘t worry Phoenix, I am a man of my word. I will make a special trip back to Yaag once you are dead, to drag my new slave through the muck, just like I promised you.”

A stone punched though the flames, impacting Secrat’s back. Secrat winced, and turned his head to where the stone had come from. Phoenix felt the hopelessness leave him in wake of Secrat’s threat. He closed his eyes for a second, feeling power flooding his body. Where from he did not know, but he utilized it. He brought his knees to his chest, and waited until Secrat turned back. Shooting his feet out, he caught Secrat in the chest, and Secrat’s eyes widened. The pain entered his features, and then his body flew back, through the wall of flames, which died down almost immediately. Ember and Lindani were both on their knees, weeping, while Spedro stood above them, looking lost. All three pairs of eyes flew wide at seeing him alive. Secrat lifted himself from the floor, and Phoenix looked down at himself in wonder. The burns he had suffered were gone, and his strength had returned. 

He raised his eyes to see Secrat rising from the floor, looking rather confused. Secrat flew forward once he had regained his feet, and his hand flew for Phoenix’s face once more. Phoenix lifted his hand, and blocked the punch, and Secrat cursed. “How have you matched my strength?”

“You are not the only one who has secrets Secrat,” Phoenix replied, completely at a loss of what was going on. But goading his opponent was something he felt he must do, to break down his defenses. Secrat jumped back, and pointed his fingers to Phoenix’s chest, letting loose the same jets of flame. Phoenix had no time to move, and was bathed in the fire. 

Secrat crowed, and turned from the flaming man before him. “I have won! Phoenix of Yaag is no more.”

His warriors cheered, then fell silent almost directly after, looking in horror behind Secrat. Phoenix stood there, no worse for wear. The flames had not harmed him in any way, and he stood, staring at Secrat with look that would make a smarter man shake in his boots.

Secrat turned, and raised his voice. “I do not know how you leeched my powers, but no more! You die, now.”

Phoenix relit his body, blazing blue flames working from his feet to his legs. “No Secrat, you must die.”

The flames took his waist, and crawled up his stomach. “Your flames cannot hurt me, and mine cannot hurt you.”

The blaze overtook his chest, then slithered over his neck. “You threaten me and my mate with death, my sister with slavery. My flames and orbs cannot harm you, but I know of something that can.”

Phoenix closed his eyes, and thought of the flames. Flames that licked the flesh from Secrat’s bones and left a smoking, charred corpse. His eyes flew open, and the flames around his body coalesced into a giant orb, then flew forward, halting between him and Secrat. Two tongues of flame slowly pulled free from the orb on either side, and then unfurled into the shape of wings.

Secrat stumbled back, never removing his eyes from the unfolding orb before him. “It cannot be! The story was true?”

The wings flapped twice, then the beaked head rose from the top, and the feet came from the bottom. The huge bird stared at Secrat, who fell to his knees. Ember wore a large smile, while Lindani and Spedro had both frozen in place, eyes wide and mouths open, this being the first time they had ever seen the apparition that had scarred Ember so many years before.

The bird stared at Secrat, then turned back to Phoenix, drinking in his image with the same black eyes from all those years ago, and the same consciousness pressed on his mind. Phoenix smiled, understanding the reason for the bird staring at him. Raising a finger to point at Secrat, he said calmly, “Kill him.” The bird did not move, and Phoenix decided to change tactics. 

Kill him, and leave not a single ash in your wake, Phoenix thought, and the bird began moving the moment he ended the thought.

With a loud, otherworldly screech, the bird dived toward Secrat, who screamed loud enough to wake the dead, who he would be joining momentarily. The bird slammed into his body, and the scream was cut short when Secrat’s body disappeared in a white flash of heat. Not a single ash remained, and the bird flew into the sky.

Phoenix thought toward the bird once more, giving it orders. Kill the soldiers that came with him, but do not harm the three with me. I will not need you after that, so you may return to wherever you rest. The bird screeched again, and dived toward the soldiers, who turned and ran. Another hot flash, and the soldiers and the bird disappeared together, the short screams cutting off into the crisp air.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

202K 6.7K 33
(Soon to be an eBook) Fire, Water, Earth, Air, Lightning, and Ice. These are the six main elements of the world. Fire to warm you. ...
6.5K 870 124
(Completed! In edit phase!) For a long time, elemental magic has been widely known, used, and practiced. Elemental magic is based upon the four core...
3.2K 294 65
"So, you rode Azymondias? The Dragon King?" My dad asked, surprised. "Yup." "And you were the only one to acquire one of his scales?" "Yup." "But...
1.4M 54.5K 62
Credits: 'MsChallenjour' for the amazing yet beautiful book cover and 'Daring2BeMe' for trying to edit the first few chapters of the book. Also, the...