The Crossing (Book One)

By Arzoelyn

The Key will come... Aurora is an ordinary college student gifted with an unknown power when her mother dies... More

Prophecy of the Key
Map of Enju
Chapter One: The Quest
Chapter Two: Found
Chapter Three: Run
Chapter Four: Tezaro
Chapter Five: Taken
Chapter Six: In The Desert
Chapter Seven: Morid
Chapter Eight: The Water Shed
Chapter Nine: The Common Room
Chapter Ten: A Different Path
Chapter Eleven: Fate
Chapter Twelve: Ilsurni Castle
Chapter Thirteen: Lucas
Chapter Fourteen: The Murmurwoods
Chapter Fifteen: Nesting Thoughts
Chapter Sixteen: The Hunt
Chapter Seventeen: Prey
Chapter Eighteen: The Silent Circle
Chapter Nineteen: More Than Words
Chapter Twenty: Nor Friend or Foe
Chapter Twenty-One: Not Alone
Chapter Twenty-Two: A New Discovery
Chapter Twenty-Three: Eri's Camp
Chapter Twenty-Four: True Intentions
Chapter Twenty-Five: Apprentice
Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Fallen
Chapter Twenty-Eight: Captured
Chapter Twenty-Nine: The Elder Tree
Chapter Thirty: Sight
Chapter Thirty-One: A Role To Play
Chapter Thirty-Two: The Fate of the Fallen
Chapter Thirty-Three: Betrayal
Chapter Thirty-Four: Bonds
Chapter Thirty-Five: The Walls of Ilsurni Castle
Chapter Thirty-Six: Phoenix Fire
Chapter Thirty-Seven: Torn Apart
Chapter Thirty-Eight: Lathimnar
Chapter Thirty-Nine: Home
Chapter Forty: Nim's Legacy
Chapter Forty-One: Moves and Counter Moves
Chapter Forty-Two: Landros
Chapter Forty-Three: The Narrow Pass
Chapter Forty-Four: Entering Kai'lym
Chapter Forty-Five: A Quiet Dinner
Chapter Forty-Six: Oaths and Threats
Chapter Forty-Seven: Trust
Epilogue: Crown Guard
Crossroads
Teaser #1
Teaser #2
Teaser #3

Chapter Twenty-Six: Master Owen

4.9K 465 69
By Arzoelyn

Lucas's attempts at making small talk with Eri through their watch was short lived. Instead he resorted to talking to himself or whistling to the trees to hear it echoed back by them.

Daybreak couldn't arrive fast enough for Eri and its sluggish arrival was a great welcome. There was just something about him, besides him shooting her brother, which simply annoyed her to no end. Something wasn't right--- she didn't trust him. Not by a long shot.

As the rest of the group stirred to life, food was prepared and needs were met. Eri and Owen confided in each other as they often did. Both stared at the trio eating breakfast, contemplating where the puzzle pieces were falling into place.

Whatever Tezaro's reasons for not revealing his secret engagement to them, they intended to feign ignorance. Though Owen conceded it explained Tezaro's possessiveness over the girl. As to the role of Lucas, neither was certain.

When all traces of camp were collected, they made ready to leave. This ensued an argument as to with whom Aurora would ride. Ending it, Aurora took matters into her own hands.

"I have my own mind, and every decision I have made has been my own. This is no different. Understand? Good. Then it's settled." Aurora walked toward her rider and mounted, daring the others to contradict her choice. "Thanks, Eri."

Eri led the horse past them, chuckling loudly. "What a bunch of idiots," and she continued to laugh harder.

Though irked that she hadn't chosen to ride with him, Tezaro was at least grateful that Aurora had also not gone with Lucas. Eri would protect her, and he and Owen would discuss entering Ilsurni Castle. On second thought, Tezaro felt it was fortunate that Lucas was on a barian, the height and shifting movement of its strides kept him from participating much in any discussion.

They had agreed that sneaking in at night was the best choice. A day or two scouting the best possible location to enter was factored in as well. Blending in was not an option.

Only Lucas could assume that role and no one was comfortable with that idea. Lucas may have been admitted into the group, but he had yet to earn their trust.

Through the day they continued deep within the forest, though it seemed to have no end. The trees and the fascinating new plant life that burst out in vibrant blues, reds, purples, and yellows made Aurora awe struck.

She could not comprehend how impossibly tall the trees were and how each seemed larger than the one before. A persistent yellow vine climbed from tree to tree with small budding orange flowers. Another bush that resembled bramble, with blue flowers that opened and closed as if they were breathing littered the floor.

Aurora kept her eyes open, taking in all the wonders of this chattering forest; but no matter how captivating the sights might be, her eyes would stray to Tezaro.

At first she had thought she had made a mistake not choosing to ride with him. Throughout the day he had diligently debated and planned with Owen how to enter Ilsurni Castle. Perhaps had she ridden with him she could have been more involved in Lily's rescue.

Still, she would have nothing to contribute. He was the one familiar with Mithoran and its forces. Not to mention his experience far outweighed anything she had ever expected. And he was doing this for her. She sighed loudly.

Eri suppressed a snort. Whenever her conversation waned with Aurora, she was typically gazing at Tezaro. If she had any doubts about their relationship, Aurora's longing stares settled them.

Interestingly enough, she also picked up on Tezaro casting his own looks at Aurora, usually with a pretext of checking that they weren't falling behind. She cocked an eyebrow at him. When had she ever?

The one that was most open with his feelings was Lucas. He'd casually smile and wink at them. If he weren't so smug, and if he hadn't shot at her brother, Eri might have thought him handsome. However, she was glad that the barian forced him to keep his distance.

Owen reared his horse to Eri, and rode with them for a distance, inducting Aurora into the mysteries of the Craft. He discussed with her rudimentary spells and runes she would have to learn.

However, implementing her new acquired knowledge would have to wait until they stopped for rest. Magic was hard enough standing in place, riding on horseback was far from the ideal setting.

The sun was past its center when the group finally decided to rest. Everyone tended to their own mount before resting for themselves. When the food was passed around, Owen claimed his seat once again beside Aurora. Tezaro frowned, Lucas ate, and Eri watched.

"How far can you cast your shield?" As before, Owen ate little, magic his constant focus.

Aurora shrugged. "I'm not sure. Ten maybe fifteen yards. That's as far as I know."

Owen took in her comment. "We will have to test this, but preferably on an open plain. Line of sight should be a factor to your distance, though I'm hopeful of your skill." Aurora smiled at his compliment.

"Do you know how strong your shield is in our world? No? Then we need to find out. Eri, get your sword and dagger." Eri did as her brother asked while Owen positioned Aurora a short distance from the others. "Go at her with the dagger first."

"What?" Three voices fired back. Owen ignored them all.

"This is training remember? I have to know what you can do." He nodded at Eri. "Go."

Without qualm or hesitation Eri launched her dagger at Aurora. Instinctively her shield went up as she protected herself from the hit with her arms. A translucent lavender bubble deflected the dagger.

"Good. Now your sword."

Tezaro stood by, helpless to interfere. Aurora gulped, her hands cast out, knees bent, bracing herself for Eri's attack. She let the magic flow through her reinforcing the shield.

Tezaro's hand flexed around the hilt of his sword. Ready. Eri took two quick strides forward and slashed her sword through the air with great force and speed.

Everyone held their breaths.

Eri repeated the attack again and again. Each time it scratched along the surface of Aurora's shield, sending pale lavender streaks into the air like frayed ribbons. Owen observed Aurora's face and posture. The shield completely surrounded her.

He nodded his head and as if reading his mind, Eri continued to attack Aurora from all angles. Perspiration dotted Aurora's strained face, but the shield still held.

"Do not lower the shield, Aurora. Hold it steady." She did as he instructed. "We have proof your shield can resist sufficient physical attacks, but what about magical?" Aurora faced her new opponent, unsure of what to expect.

Owen's hand began to glow and as he turned it upwards a silvery blue energy ball grew, crackling with power. The shield around Aurora brightened in color as she renewed her efforts to fortify it.

She had never held a shield for this long before. Something was different. They had always been momentary, a quick response. Strain caused her arms and legs to tremble while her breath grew heavy. She hoped she had enough power to hold off at least one Owen's attack.

The ball flew at an incredible speed, straight and true aimed at Aurora's chest. The impact caused a magnificent silver and lilac light show. The energy ball was gone, but the shield remained.

Yet there was no time to rest or feel triumph. Owen was already hurling another energy ball while another formed in his hand. Her whole body began to shake, sweat visibly ran down her face. One more hit and either the shield or Aurora would collapse.

Relentlessly Owen prepared another energy ball, unaffected by his use of power. Tezaro crossed his path. "One more and you will answer to me."

For all their friendship was worth, Owen was positive Tezaro would carry through with his threat. They had not physically scuffled since they were children and even then Tezaro had bested him. He'd gotten what he'd wanted at any case. He snapped his hand into a fist and the ball disappeared.

Aurora's knees hit the soft ground exhausted. There wasn't enough air in the valley to fill her lungs. When her shield blinked out of existence, Lucas was at her side offering her water which she gratefully took. She felt depleted, barely coherent.

Meanwhile, Eri watched the tension between her brother and Tezaro simmer. Eri approached them, reluctant to take a side. Still glaring at one another, she heard Owen say, "My friend, I must know what she can do. This is merely training. Surely you must realize this as she is my apprentice."

"Yes, but she is also my..." Tezaro caught himself before he finished.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

333 84 38
All her life, Ariana Lucade has always felt like she was different from everyone around her, though it never really bothered her. She was happy with...
303K 30.8K 59
Fearing for Will's life, Alex crosses the Rim to save him from the Rhean monarchy, but the dark truths awaiting her will make her question everything...
813 118 8
In a realm of fate and fae, Orion has always been destined for greatness. But as the "hero" embarks on his final quest, destiny takes an unexpected t...
10.6K 531 59
The Trials are not over. The true Trials have only just begun. Aurora survived phase one of the King Trials. She emerged alive but scathed, new tests...