Blame it on our Fates

By candyflossmachine

♡ His gaze was deep, deeper than the purest oceans, fixated on my every move, making me squirm under... More

p l a y l i s t
c h a r a c t e r a e s t h e t i c s
p r o l o g u e
o n e
t w o
t h r e e
f o u r
f i v e
s i x
s e v e n
e i g h t
n i n e
t e n
e l e v e n
t w e l v e
t h i r t e e n
f o u r t e e n
f i f t e e n
s i x t e e n
s e v e n t e e n
e i g h t e e n
n i n e t e e n
t w e n t y
t w e n t y o n e
t w e n t y t w o
t w e n t y t h r e e
t w e n t y f o u r
t w e n t y f i v e
t w e n t y s e v e n
t w e n t y e i g h t
t w e n t y n i n e
t h i r t y
t h i r t y o n e
t h i r t y t w o
t h i r t y t h r e e
t h i r t y f o u r
t h i r t y f i v e
t h i r t y s i x
t h i r t y s e v e n
t h i r t y e i g h t
t h i r t y n i n e
f o r t y
f o r t y o n e
f o r t y t w o
f o r t y t h r e e
f o r t y f o u r
f o r t y f i v e
f o r t y s i x
f o r t y s e v e n
f o r t y e i g h t
f o r t y n i n e
e p i l o g u e
announcement/spin-off

t w e n t y s i x

4.5K 248 62
By candyflossmachine

Song Of The Day : Don't Say Goodnight by Hot Chelle Rae.

Comment, vote and share!

T w e n t y s i x

   Every one of us hates something or the other in life. It might be the way people call you childish, or how innocent you are. Or it might be something that peeved you off. Like how you hate it when people are conceited and arrogant and think only about themselves. Or it must have been some tangible stuff, like your inexplicable hate for peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or some animal just because you are scared of them. Every person in this world, to ever live, has hated something at least once in their lives.

   For me, my biggest pet peeve was the existence of two faced people. People who act and pretend all damn amazing to you, but once you turn your back on them, they turn to your worst enemy or your arch nemesis. They start bitching about you the moment you trust them. In their minds, of course. They don't really have the guts to say something to our faces, if that wasn't obvious already.

   But if in life, if I hate something more than the existence of two faced people, it would be period. Yes, period. Not the term period you use to express the finality of a statement, or rather the duration. This period to me, seemed like the devil's reincarnation. What am I even saying? It was the devil's reincarnation. I absolutely hated it how we girls were punished by this evil Lucifer's waterfall people called 'period' just because we weren't pregnant. These days were the only days I regret not having sex because the cramps that came along with it, weren't all just peachy and dandy. They were worse than having your heart and bones broken altogether.

    The next morning, on Saturday when I woke up, I knew something was really wrong with me. The way my stomach was tingling and not the good kind, might I remind you it was the worst kind. It was the type of tingling where you felt something bad was about to break out. Like you want to punch your own stomach time and again because of the cramps.

   My mother always said that ladies in her family had to suffer real bad during periods. It was just some family thing that every ladies had to go through. It was like heredity. My mother, herself, too used to suffer badly during periods. But instead of tummy cramps, she used to get sore feet and back pain. It was a lot better than stomach cramps, I used to believe. And I was true. She didn't have to completely lay down in her bed for the whole day. I did. Though on some days, for her, it did get bad and those were the days I saw my father's concern and love for my mother. He used to take a day off from his work and help mother with her cramps. He used to cook and do chores that day. He didn't allow her to stand up, at all. Just when she wanted to use the powder room, did he allow? But even then, he used to stand outside the restroom, until she was done. I remember those were the only times, I found myself thinking if I too will have a caring husband like him. Because almost every girl wants her husband to be a replica of her father. I did, too.

   But that all went down the drain when I saw couples snogging in our schools. To other girls it might seem romantic and fairytale type, for me? It was puke worthy and disturbing. Knowing how boys were these days, I kind of lost interest in finding Mr. Perfect for me. The boys these days were not something I'd go for. I am too plain for them and they are too much for me.

  I stood up, or at least tried to. I couldn't. A jolt of pain sent my body crashing down on the floor as I groaned loudly. I waited for like another minute, trying to calm my tummy down so that it won't pain or hurt much. After preparing myself for another jolt, I carefully, gingerly stood up. There it was. Another body wrenching pain but I controlled myself and started taking small steps to the bathroom.

   There it was. The large red coloured stain from Lucifer's waterfall. I hated periods with a passion, so it was only fair I called them 'Lucifer's waterfall.'

   I scowled deeply at the stain and then closed the bathroom curtains. It was time for brushing my teeth and showering. I went to the sink and held my hand in front of my mouth as I blew a breath. God! It was horrible. I literally stank like anything. I didn't get it how every girl in movies and books woke up with minty, fresh breath and their hair perfect, not even one strand out of place. My hair looked like a rattled bird's nest. Not even exaggerating. I truly wish I was, though. All in all, I woke up looking and smelling like a homeless drug addict, you find in those dangerous alleys.

   After finishing my business in the bathroom, I stepped out of the bathroom with a white coloured tower wrapped around my body. Yes, and I was wearing my undergarments because I was in my period. Wouldn't want period blood all over the floor now, would we? I shuddered disgustedly at the mental image of period blood all over my room's floor.

   I picked out a large oversized shirt and a star wars grey coloured pajamas that were worn from below my belly to not hurt it. I threw the clothes carelessly over my body as a knock on my door alerted me.

   "Yes?" I asked, my voice muffled as my shirt was still halfway worn and it covered my mouth. I quickly pulled it down and bent down to pick the dirty clothes

   "It's me. I made you some breakfast," I heard Mark's voice call out to me. Before I could say anything, an electrifying pain made me fall down, clutching my tummy and rubbing it, almost soothingly. But it didn't help at all.

    I groaned loudly.

   "Are you okay? Is something wrong?" Mark's voice asked me. I just nodded but then smacked my head when I realized he couldn't see me.

   "Yeah," I croaked out, as the pains worsened.

   "You don't sound okay at all. I am coming in. You are decent right?" He asked from the other side of the door.

  "Yes."

  "Okay, then," I heard him mutter and the door pushed open. In came Mark wearing a pair of black jeans and a white button down shirt. If I wasn't his sister, I would have sure ogled at him. But seeing how he was my brother, it was a big no-no and awkward.

  Seeing me buckled down, clutching my tummy tightly, must have worried him since he came running to me.

  "What's wrong?" He asked as he put his arm around my shoulder to help me stand up.

  "Period cramps," I managed to mutter out, though it was very embarrassing. Telling your brother you are suffering from period cramps was the epitome of awkward.

  I looked at him and saw his cheeks turning red, with embarrassment, probably.

  "Umm..," He started off, not sure of what to say to that. I waited for him to ask me. "Do you have any pills you can take?"

  "I have. But I don't want to use them. I will not use them until it's absolutely necessary. It's not good for health," I said, remembering my mother's advice about pills for period cramps.

  "Absolutely necessary? It can get worse than this?" He asked, gesturing to me not-so-dandy cramps.

  "You don't even want to know. And besides, I can manage these," I said as I stood up and sat on the edge of the bed.

  "Are you sure?"

  "Positive," I answered.

  "Okay, then."

  "Did you make me breakfast?" I asked, remembering his reason for visit.

  "Yeah. I made you some classic English breakfast mom used to cook us every Sundays," He said, a small smile graced his lips as his eyes glazed over, probably thinking about the past.

  "That's great. I kind of missed it," I said, not wanting to say anything else.

  "Did you too receive the parcel from Stephanie?" He asked me and I looked at him, surprised. His eyes weren't on me though. They were on the large brown coloured parcel that sat proudly on the desk. Of course, I got it for the weekend. I mean, maybe I and Mark could watch it during our movie times.

  "I did."

   "We'll watch it tonight," He said as he hugged me sideways. I buried my face in his chest that smelled just like home.

  "Yeah."

--

  "That was amazing," I said as I slightly pushed the now empty plate away with my hands. Mark just smiled at me.

  "Glad you liked it," He said smiling slightly. My eyes went down to his dressed self and curiosity got the best of me.

  "Why are you all dressed up?" I asked.

  "Umm... I have to go somewhere right now," He said, hesitantly and my smile faded out.

  "Where? I thought we could spend some time together as a family?" I asked, a little upset by his already arranged plans.

  "I am sorry, Cadence. But this is kind of important," He said, scratching the back of his head, not meeting my gaze.

  "Can you at least tell me where you're going?"

  "I wish I could. But you will know. Soon," He said, finally meeting my gaze.

  "Okay. I guess I can cut you off some slack since it's that important to you," I said.

  "But be back quick, okay," I said later as he grinned at me. He stood up and kissed the top of my head.

  "Sure Cad-Cad," He said. I smiled a little at the nickname. We were home. At peace and we were happy.

--

  I sat on my bed staring at my laptop, watching reruns of Teen Wolf, as I stuffed my mouth with a handful of popcorn. I had to admit this. Dylan O'Brien sure knew how to make popcorn fall from a girl's mouth as it slacked open. God, why did you have to torture us girls like this? By creating such effect on our ovaries? Do you not know what happened when we are on our periods? Our hormones were on a rage. And I was no different.

   Currently, I was snuggled up in my bed, too tired and in pain to move a little. And just when Stiles was about to remove his shirt, the doorbell rang making me jump in my bed and spilling all the popcorn over my white coloured duvet.

   I waited for a second to see if that was just my imagination. But then, the doorbell rang again and again for three times. Impatience will get you nowhere mister or miss, whoever that is, I wanted to shout. Instead I just scowled deeply at the door of my room, mentally calculating the number of steps I had to take to reach the front door. But before I could even calculate the number of stairs, it rang again and I groaned loudly.

   "Coming, coming!" I shrieked loudly before huffing and putting my bowl of popcorn away. I stood up as another jolt of pain, but this time a little less painful hit me. I drew in a breath loudly before swallowing and opening the door to my room. Whoever the person at the front door was, was sure going to get some earful from me.

   I skipped down the stairs quickly and before I could even reach the door, the doorbell had already ringed thrice.

   "Hold your horses, you stupid, impatient tosser," I yelled loudly, loud enough for the person to hear me.

   I opened the door to shout at the person at the front door but before I could even say anything, the person pushed me aside, not-too-gently might I add and entered. I just stood there like the idiot I was at the familiar brown haired boy, glaring at his stupid, back, my jaw dropped open.

   Dressed in a white shirt and a blue flannel shirt that loosely hung on his shoulders, was none other than my tutor, Nolan.

   "You take too much time to open the door," He said casually as if it just wasn't weird for him to just drop by my place any time he wanted.

   "Close your mouth, Brown. You'll catch flies. Unless you want to, of course," He said, smirking slightly.

   "What are you doing here?" I managed to croak out, surprise lacing my words.

   "Why? Can't I check up on my favourite student?" He asked, mockingly.

   "I'm your only student, Nolan," I reminded him, narrowing my eyes at him. He rolled his eyes at me.

   "Party pooper. Go and change," He demanded while I just stood near the door, my jaw dropped to the floor, again. Did he just command me? Oh, I think he did.

   "What? Why would I change just to watch reruns of Teen Wolf? And besides, I think if anything needs to change it is your position. It has to be changed. From inside my house to outside or wherever you want to go," I said.

   "Go and change, Brown. Your sass isn't something I am looking forward to right now. We're going out," He announced and before I could even say anything or protest, I was sent crumbling down to the floor, by those cruel cramps, of course. Stupid periods. Period.

   Nolan seeing me immediately came running as he bent down to my level.

   "What's wrong? Are you okay?" He asked, his voice worried and face scrunched up in confusion and concern. If it weren't for my cramps, I would have laughed at his concerned face.

   "Period cramps," I muttered, my eyes now closed. I opened them just to check his reaction. A light, pink shade tinted his cheeks as he took in my words.

   "Umm... Don't you have any pills?" He asked, almost hesitantly, as if he didn't know what else to say.

   "I try to hold off them until it gets worse. They do more harm than good in the long run," I answered.

   "It gets worse than this?" He asked, bewildered. Funny how he and Mark had the same type of reaction to this.

   "Yes."

   "Okay, then. Let's get you to your room," He said as he slid his arms around my back and helped me stand up. He took my left arm and wrapped around his shoulder and he started to walk, ever-so-slowly. His body heat engulfed me, completely and it made me feel so weird. Blaming my period and raging hormones, I mentally scowled at myself.

   "I can walk, you know," I said as I stared at him, shocked by his caring side. Never knew the bad boy had it in him.

   "I know," He said as he grinned at me, showing me his pearly whites.

   I just rolled my eyes at him. Idiot.

   When we reached the top, he let go of my shoulder and my body missed the warmth coming from him. But that lasted only for a second. He again wrapped his arms around me and this time, even around my waist. I could smell his pine, woodsy, lemony scent wafting through my nostrils. His hair smelled like chocolate, a very toxicating smell, might I add. He then helped me lie down on the bed as he looked around the room.

   "Did a tornado whisk this room?"He asked, his eyes trained on the dirty clothes that were thrown carelessly on the floor and the large chunks of popcorn that were spilled.

   "Haha. Very funny, Nolan," I muttered as I sat up straighter but Nolan stopped me. I looked at him, with my brows raised.

   "Don't. Just lie down and take a nap. Rest your back. Or else, the pain will be unbearable," He explained as my eyes widened at the information he was giving.

   "How do you know all that?" I asked, shocked,

   He looked at me for a moment, his expression unreadable.

   "I knew someone. She used to lie down all the time," He said, his tone monotonous. I sure didn't miss the word 'knew' instead of 'know.'

   "Knew?" I asked, curiosity getting the better of me.

   "Yes, knew," He replied, not looking at me. I shrugged as I put my laptop away and lied down. He now looked at me and shot me a smile. I smiled a little back.

   "Okay then. I will take a nap. If you want, you can leave. I don't want you to think you are supposed to babysit me," I said, my voice slightly slurred as sleepiness started engulfing me.

   "I'll be here when you wake up, Brown," Was all I heard before I drifted off to sleep.

--

   When I woke up, it was raining cats and dogs. And since it was raining, I couldn't tell what the time was. I looked around for a familiar brown haired boy but didn't find him. He left, was all I thought. A part of me was sad that he left and I couldn't tell why it was sad. I shrugged that part away and stood up, my pain a little relieved and I couldn't be anymore happy. I checked the teak coloured clock fixed on one wall and saw it was almost one in the afternoon. I slept for more than an hour.

   Before I could even reach the door, my eyes zoomed on in my floor which was spotless right now. All the dirty clothes from the floor were put in pile in a basket near the study table. The pieces of popcorn and other food crumbs were all cleaned and my room looked neat, for once in my life.

   I smiled a little at Nolan's doings.

   I reached out and opened the door and an amazing smell of my favourite food item wafted through my nose. I inhaled and grinned at the delicious smelling food.

   I skipped down the stairs and entered the kitchen. There on the kitchen counter, sitting on one of the stools was Nolan as he started putting food on two plates. My favourite. Chicken Tandoori and Roti.

   Nolan noticed me standing at the doorway of the kitchen and grinned. He beckoned me over.

   "I hope you don't mind Indian. I ordered some for us," Was all he said.

   I grinned at him. So he didn't leave. This was sure a side of Nolan I could get used to, was all I thought as I dug in and started eating the delicious food that tempted me.

  --

  Hope you liked the chapter! Have a great day ahead!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8M 499K 199
In the future, everyone who's bitten by a zombie turns into one... until Diane doesn't. Seven days later, she's facing consequences she never imagine...
3.8M 157K 69
Highest rank: #1 in Teen-Fiction and sci-fi romance, #1 mindreader, #2 humor Aaron's special power might just be the coolest- or scariest- thing ever...
4.7M 252K 34
Those who were taken... They never came back, dragged beneath the waves never to return. Their haunting screams were a symbol of their horrific death...
28.7M 913K 49
[BOOK ONE] [Completed] [Voted #1 Best Action Story in the 2019 Fiction Awards] Liam Luciano is one of the most feared men in all the world. At the yo...