The Summer I Ran Into My Chil...

By writing4fun

Kathryn and Alex were almost attatched at the hip when they were younger, at least until Alex had to move ove... More

The Summer I Ran Into My Childhood Best Friend
Departure
Florida-New Beginning
Surprises
Perfect Timing
Night Out
A Day Alone
Venting Session
Changes

Nine Years Later

3.4K 70 12
By writing4fun

"FREEDOM!!!!" my best friend Mariza yelled, throwing her graduation cap in the air.

"Shut up!" I said between laughs, "I'm pretty sure everyone gets the idea you're happy." 

"Woops," she said smiling.

Not ten minutes ago I had graduated from my home town high school of Salem, MA with my class of 613 people. The ceremony had me crying the entire way through it, this high school had almost become a second home to me over the years and now I was leaving it behind. Me and my four best-friends were bound to go to College down in Florida at the end of the summer on a full scholar-ship through Track.

Before the school year had ended we bought a decent sized house outside the beach side campus of the University of Central Florida. The house itself was right on the beach and only 5 minutes away from the campus; it was almost like my life would be becoming one of those college-summer 80's movies. I was beyond excited to go down and start setting everything up.

"Look at my baby girl!" my mother exclaimed, walking towards me with Ann trailing not far behind her.

"You're so old," Ann perstered jokingly.

"Hey, you're the one who looks about 26," I said smiling. It was true too, two years ago when Ann was in the 8th grade she had hit a huge growth spurt and grew to be 5'9"... I had only reached the height of 5'7".

"Oh shut-up," I heard her mutter under her breath.

"Oh, you and Mariza look all grown up in your graduation outfits and caps!" my mother exclaimed once again, "Were's Jill and Ashley?"

Jill and Ashley were the other half to my group of friends, currently they were off talking to their own mothers about the same stuff mine would be about to bring up. All the mushy-gushy stuff about how much shes going to miss me when im away over the summer.

"Right here," they both said suddenly from behind me and Mariza, my group of four friends was now completed.

"Oh I remember when you all were tiny little things running XC together in the 8th grade!" my mom continued as she took in all four of us. Mariza was wearing her signuture khaki shorts and dressy t-shirt (she hated wearing dresses), Jill was wearing a blue summer dress with flip flops, Ashley was wearing her favorite strapless purple dress with heels, and I was wearing my strapless white summer dress with heeled gladiator sandals. 

"Ya, five years later and we're still not sick of each other," Jill replied in a sarcastic tone, causing a smile to break out on my mothers face.

"Just tomorrow you'll all be leaving for Florida too, I won't be able to see you all until August when you come back before college," my mom said with tears in her eyes. Over the years she had begun to consider Jill, Ashley and Mariza and extended part of the family. They practically lived at my house on the weekends and over summer break, we all were inseperable. 

"Good ridence," my sister said in a relieved tone, "I can finally have your room turned into something of my choosing."

"Stop it," my mother whispered as she gave a slight punch to my sisters arm.

"Our new rooms are going to be 10x better then what your planning on doing," I heard Ashley say from behind me, " because ours is right ne-"

But before she could finish my mother interupted by giving me a hug and saying, "Well sweety, I'm going to head out. I will see you all tonight."

With that, her and my sister headed towards the parents parking lot by the side of the school. Confused, I didnt know why she left until I heard my fathers joking call from behind Ashley and Jill.

"Hey kiddos," he said in his deep voice.

"Hi daddy," I replied smiling. About seven years ago my parents decided to get a divorce, promising it would be an easy split with no problems. That promise soon failed and to this day my parents cannot stand to be within a 100 yard radius of each other. Mostly because my dad has had a new girlfriend now for around 5 years. She also has a son, Nick, who I consider to be my younger brother. My mother hates it.

"Kathryn!" Nick shouted out as he ran over to give me hug, "I dont want you to leave!"

"I no bud, but I'll be back before the summer ends to say one last good-bye."

"You better, this kid will never forgive you if you dont," my dads girlfriend, Erin, said.

"I wouldnt forgive her if she didnt," my father said jokingly. I always considered myself closer to my dad than anyone else in my family. He was like my best friend mixed in with a father figure. I would miss him terribly this summer while I was away at my new house, preparing for college.

"You would easily forgive me," I replied matter-of-factly, "you love me too nuch."

"Rotten Kid," he said in mock anger, " I'll let you go now, seems like you have a lot of catching up to do with the rest of your class before you leave. Plus, I will see you at the airport tomorrow morning kid."

Getting a big hug from my dad, Erin and Nick, they headed off to were my sister and mother had just gone a few minutes ago. Turning to my friends, I smiled and said, "I cannot wait till tomorrow!"

"I know someone who can," Mariza said in a tone that surprisingly made my face go red in embarressment. This was a tone she only used when she was talking about one person, and one person only.

"That would be me," said a voice belonging none other than to my boyfriend of two years, Evan. Turning around I saw his tall muscular frame, light blonde hair gelled into messy spikes, and his blue eyes practically piercing my bright blue eyes as well. Gleaming with joy, I leaned up to give a kiss, causing Ashley to cough "PDA" into her hand. Grinning, I turned around to see my three best friends giggling uncontrolably .

"Go mingle with some people," I said, not able to hide my laughter that broke through my lips.

"We'll go mingle, but atleast we wont be playing tonsil hockey with them," Jill replied smirking.

"Just go," I said rolling my eyes.

"Meet us at your car in an hour, we all still need to pack....and I no you need to too," Ashley said in a slightly more serious voice.

"She'll be there, dont worry," Evan said from beside me.

"If shes not, we will hunt you guys down, no matter what your doing," Mariza taunted as the three of them quickly headed off before I could say anything back.

"Great friends you got there," Evan said smiling down at me.

"Absolutly one of a kind."

"So what would you like to do today, I won't be able to see you until the beginning of August when you come back to visit before heading back, yet again."

                The one fight that me and Evan had ever had was about the whole college deal. He had gotton accepted the University of North Caralina on a full ride through soccer and I had gotton accepted to the University of Central Florida on a full ride through track. He had agreed to try the long distance thing but he didnt no I was going to be gone for half the summer setting up my new house until just a few weeks ago. He was not to thrilled about that.

"Well," I said in my flirty voice, "We could go down to our normal spot by the creek for a little bit...."

            Kissing me with a sudden feirceness, I took it as a 100% yes that he agreed with my idea. The creek was a little ways from the school and it was were we had shared our first kiss....and many other memories as well.

"Lets go then, shall we?" Evan said while linking his hand with mine at the same time.

              Walking across the school grounds, we headed towards the woods behind the sports field were a tiny path opened up between two trees. This path was one of my favorite places of the entire school, I had spent many days with my friends and Evan here. It was a place I could go to and just escape reality for a bit, my mind could wander to the future or even the past if I wanted it too.

"So are you going to see me off at the airport tomorrow morning?" I asked hopefully.

"Um, ya sure babe," he replied airily.

             His tone made my stomch dip alittle, and not in a good way. For the past couple of weeks he had been acting distant and slightly snobby. I had just taken it as him being pissed at me for going to Florida but his anger shouldnt have lasted this long. On top of it all, he had been talking to my enemy (and his current ex-girlfriend), Katie Smith, more and more now-a-days. My friends had noticed it and tried to warn me, but I simply ignored it.  What was up with him?

"Well what would you like to do first," Evan said, grabbing my waist and pulling me against him with, "How about this?"

           The next thing I new, he was kissing me with one hand on the small of my back and the other cupping my face gently. The way he held me always seemed to send butterflys down my spine, turning my brain into a pile of mush; he new he did this to me too. For the next 45 minutes or so we coninued this, splashed around in the creek and just sat and talked about everything.

"I'm going to that party tonight at Katies house, the entire grades going," Evan said in a worried rush as we headed back hand in hand.

"Evan you know how I feel about her-"

"No, don't worry babe," he replied persuasively, "I won't even talk to her, you know I dont like her like that."

         Looking him in his eyes I could see that he truely wanted to go, it was going to be one of the few all class parties that would be thrown this summer before we all left... it wouldnt be fair not to let him go.

"Fine, you can go.." I muttered hesitantly.

"Thanks hun," he replied, kissing me with a smile on his lips.

           By now we had reached the edge of woods and were heading towards the school parking lot were my car was parked. The crowd of students had died down and only a few had stayed behind to talk. My guess was that they were all getting ready for the party that Katie would get so much credit for....little bitch. Reaching my red jeep wrangler, Ashley, Jill, and Mariza had already taken the soft top off and blasted music from their i-pods to pass the time.

"Well look who decided to show up, the power house couple. How was your mingling," Ashley said in a voice like she was talking to a baby.

"I can see you have your hands full here, I'll talk to you later Kat," Evan said before giving me a kiss goodbye.

"Airport tomorrow?" I shouted at his retreating back.

"Ya,ya," he said while waving his hand non-chalently above his head.

"Whats up with him?" Jill said in a shocked voice.

"who cares!" Ashley exclaimed, "We need to go pack, lets go girlies!"

"Loser," I grumbled sarcastically.

              Starting the car, I pulled out of the school that had become something of a home to me for the past four years...and now, I would be starting over some where new and in a completely different state.

                                            I couldnt wait.

Continue Reading