Scottish Beauty

By Sweetpeas

Known for their beauty, the Campbell sisters have many men vying for their hands, but as Lady Emma was the el... More

Chapter One - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Two - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Three - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Four - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Five - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Six - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Seven - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Eight - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Nine - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Ten - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Eleven - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Thirteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Fourteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Fifteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Sixteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Seventeen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Eighteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Nineteen - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-One - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Two - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Three - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Four - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Five - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Six - Scottish Beauty
Chaper Twenty-Seven - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Eight - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Twenty-Nine - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Thirty - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Thirty-One - Scottish Beauty
Chapter Thirty-Two - Scottish Beauty
Epilogue - Scottish Beauty

Chapter Twelve - Scottish Beauty

192K 4.6K 200
By Sweetpeas

Chapter Twelve

Emma entered the great hall and walked towards the high table to retrieve the shawl that she left there.    She noticed Ian waiting for her by the front door and started walking towards him.   She didn’t get very far, for Angus stopped her.

“Emma, before ye leave, I want to give ye something,” Angus told her as he swirled the amber liquid in his goblet.    He reached into his plaid now and pulled out a velvet pouch and handed it to her.    Emma took the pouch and peaked inside but before she could open her mouth to protest, Angus was up out of his chair and had his hands clasped around her hands that were holding the pouch.

“Just a little something for ye lass.   Now go on, I want you to purchase anything ye fancy in the village,” he told her with a softened tone.   “Ye will be the daughter that I never had, I’m so very happy for ye and Andrew.   You spoil yourself on anything ye want,” Angus told her with a twinkle in his eye.

“I don’t know what ye lassies like, ribbons, new slippers...whatever ye like.   I want you to purchase some very pretty cloth for the wedding.   ‘Tis my first born son’s wedding and I’m so very proud he found a lovely lass like ye to marry.”   Angus leaned into Emma now, he kissed her forehead and shooed her away.

She looked back at him, a tear rolling down her cheek.  ”No time for tears now lass, ye will make an old softy out of me,” Angus croaked out, a bit of moisture pooling at the sides of his eyes as well as he saw how emotional she was for his generous gift.   “Out with ye then lass, Ian is waiting for ye.”

Emma flew back into his arms and gave Angus a hug.   “I thank ye Angus, I cannot ask for a better family to marry into.   I love all of ye!”  She leaned into him now and pecked him on the cheek.   Emma never thought the day that she would see Angus blush, but now she did.  

Andrew was standing not far behind his Da when he saw the interchange between them.  He watched as Emma left the hall with Ian and went to approach his Da.    “What was that all about?” he asked him.

“I gave Emma some coin to spend on herself.  Can I not spoil my daughter-in-law?” Angus said scowling at Andrew.  

“Aye, of course ye can Da,” Andrew replied shaking his head not sure why all of a sudden his Da was in a foul mood.

“Andrew, ye come with me.  There is something that I need to give to ye and now is a good time,” Angus told him as he marched out of the hall towards the solar.

Andrew followed him into the room and watched as he Da sat beside an old wooden desk.   He opened a locked drawer and pulled out another velvet pouch.    Sun was shining through the window and as Angus emptied the pouch, the rays caught onto the emeralds and rubies in the McKenna ring making it sparkle.    Angus held the ring now, more moisture seemed to pool in his eyes, Andrew could tell that his Da was trying very hard not to let the tears drop.   

Andrew knew his Da was thinking of Roslyn, his late wife, the Mother of his four sons.  She was taken far too soon out of their lives.   Andrew knew that his Da missed her each and every day.   Many lasses have tried to try to become the next Lady McKenna, but Angus was having nothing to do with them.    He hired a couple of nurses to care for the boys, Margo ran his castle, no one would ever replace the love of his life.  

He’s noticed new hope lately in his Da and he knew it was all due to Emma.   She put the twinkle back into his eyes.  The lass gave him new hopes and dreams for the future of the McKenna’s. 

Handing him over the pouch, “This is yours Andrew,” Angus said a bit more gruffly then he wanted.   “In a sennight, I want to see the McKenna ring on Emma’s hand. “

Andrew swallowed and then looked up at his Da.  ”Aye, I would like to see it on her hand as well,” he replied, then smiled.    His Da smiled back.   

“Come on then lad, it’s not raining today and my bones are creaking.   Ye and I can spar together.” Angus said as he came around the desk and clamped his son on the shoulder and dragged him out of the solar.

Ian and Emma walked to the village.  It was a beautiful day in the Highlands, the last few days of October were damp and wet, but today was sunny.  There was coolness in the air, Emma wrapped her shawl around her shoulders a bit more snugly.   The village was close by there was no need to ride.

They walked with Emma’s hand in the crook of Ian’s arm, ever the gentleman that he was.  Three guards walked in front, three behind them.    Ian still thought six of them were too many, but he would do anything to get Andrew off his back.

Ian led Emma straight to the cloth merchant so that she would pick out her cloth first and then get whatever she wanted matching afterwards.    The village was bustling today, many villagers were out since the weather was fairing much better than the previous days.    Ian kept Emma very close to him and motioned to the guards to keep close as well.  If anything were to happen to Emma, Ian knew that Andrew would cut off his bullocks.

Emma started going through the bolts of cloth, there were so many of them but keeping Andrew’s request in mind, she was looking for something specific.     All of a sudden she felt something, someone latch onto one of her legs.   She peered down and saw the most angelic face.    A wee lad stared up at her, grinning with only his two front teeth.  He could not have been more than two summers old.

Emma bent down to his level.  ”Hello there wee one,” Emma crooned to him as she fingered the soft curls on the top of his head.    He then held his arms out to her and Emma felt her heart swell.     He was so trusting, she was a stranger and he wanted her to hold him.    She did as he wanted and picked him up lovingly in her arms.

“Ian, look what I’ve found?” Emma said beaming as she hugged him closer.

“Och Emma, ye found yourself a wee lad,” Ian replied smiling as he came closer and patted the little boy on the head.    “Where’s your Mama?” Ian asked him.

Emma and Ian both looked around, but didn’t see anyone looking for him, so Emma held onto him tighter.     The boy just kept on grinning without a care in the world.     Ian went to approach the merchant who was selling the cloth if he knew who the lad belonged to.

“Aye, ‘tis Gillian’s bairn Duncan.    She is my seamstress, I will call her,” replied the merchant.   Before he could call for her, they heard a frantic calling of Duncan’s name.   Round the corner came the frantic Mother and once she spotted Duncan in Emma’s arms, they could tell that she visibly relaxed knowing that her son was in good hands.

“I thank ye,” Gillian told Emma as she walked over to them.   “I was pulling out more cloth and Duncan just ran off.    I’m so sorry that he disturbed ye mistress,” Gillian told her as she reached out her arms and took Duncan from Emma.

Gillian noticed Ian now standing beside Emma she went down into a curtsey, “Good morn Sir Ian.”

“Have we met before lass?” Ian asked her questionably.   Looking at the woman called Gillian thinking that he didn’t recall seeing her before.

“No, but ye are our Laird’s second son.    Everyone in the village is aware of Laird McKenna’s four sons,”
Gillian replied to him shyly.

“Aye well then a good morn to you as well then Gillian,” Ian replied as he took her hand and kissed it.   

“Oh...my lady!  I’m so verra sorry but your gown is soiled now from Duncan,” Gillian said frantically as she tried to wipe some of the dust and dirt from her gown.

“Dinna fret so Gillian, ‘tis only a gown,” Emma told her stilling her hands and reassuring her not to worry about a bit of dirt.    “You have a very bonny lad there Gillian,” Emma told her caressing Duncan’s cheek.    She loved his baby-soft skin and was thinking about when she and Andrew one day would have a child of their own.

“Gillian, ye are the seamstress, perhaps ye can help out Lady Emma find a bolt of cloth for her wedding gown,” Ian asked her.

Gillian looked over to Emma, “It will be an honour to help ye Lady Emma, were ye looking for a specific colour?” Gillian asked as she started looking at all the cloth behind them, thinking of something perfect for her.

“Aye Gillian, if ye can find some pretty cloth in violet, at the request of my bonny groom,” Emma smiled as she thought of Andrew.

“Och!   Dinna tell me that Andrew has requested a colour for ye lass?” Ian asked her looking stunned then shaking his head in dismay.    At the mention of Andrew’s name, both Ian and Emma turned towards Gillian as she gasped and her hand flew to her opened mouth to cover it.

“Ye are Sir Andrew’s bride?” Gillian asked Emma in a shaky voice.

“Aye,” replied Emma looking worried at Gillian’s reaction to who she was going to marry.

“Lady Emma, ‘twas rumour in the village that one of the Laird’s son was to marry, but we dinna know which one.    Ye will become the next Lady McKenna,” she replied nervously and went down into another curtsey.

“No more Gillian please, I beg ye so,” Emma said softly to her as she pulled her up.  She was getting embarrassed at the other woman’s adoration towards her.   She was just another lass, just like her and Emma did not want to be superior in any way.

“Perhaps Gillian if I take Duncan from ye, ye can help Lady Emma find a bolt of cloth to make my brother happy,” Ian grunted as he took Duncan out of Gillian arms.  Ian was still stunned that Andrew requested that Emma wear a specific colour on their wedding day.   Maybe one day when he was in love, he would feel the same way about his bride.    He shrugged his shoulders and held onto a squirming Duncan and started chatting with the boy.

Ian watched on as the two women looked around for the perfect cloth for Emma.   Seeing how happy Emma was, she was such a delight.    One day Ian would only hope that he would find someone to love, someone like Emma, warm of heart and soul.    Sensing that he was being watched, Ian turned from keeping his eye on Emma to another stall across the way.   

Across from him, behind rows and rows of ribbons, heaps of beads and lace was the bonniest lass that Ian had ever seen.    She had pale hair and piercing green eyes that were staring right back at him.   Her gaze was so intense that Ian felt it straight to his groin.   Her pale hair, which Ian loved, was cascading down her back in ringlets.   Ian wanted so badly to touch her hair and see if it felt like the silk it looked like.  

She was taller than most women and from what Ian could see, she had all womanly curves in all the right places.     She wore a gown of soft green that looked lovely with her hair and eyes.   Some parts of her gown were a bit thread bare and that made Ian frown.    She was such a bonny lass, she deserved to wear a gown of better quality.   Their gaze was interrupted when a woman waved a couple of ribbons in front of her face.   She blushed for she was embarrassed to have been caught daydreaming and gazing into a man’s eyes instead of paying attention to her customers.

She looked away from Ian, turning a beautiful shade of pink and went to help the woman demanding her attention.

“Ian...” Emma called him.  ”Ian...” she called once again.

Ian snapped out of his trance, gulped loudly and turned towards Emma.  ”Did ye call me Emma?” he asked her, blushing himself for being caught daydreaming as well.

“Aye, are ye alright?   Ye look a bit flushed,” she asked him concerned, coming closer and placing her palm on his cheek.

“I’m fine Emma,” Ian reassured her, swatting her hand away.   “Did ye find some cloth?” he asked her changing the subject and pointing to the bolts of cloth she had in her hands.

“Aye, but I cannot decide which one, I need your help,” she told him as she held the two bolts up across her chest to see which one Ian liked the best.

“Both beautiful Emma, but this one,” he pointed to the one she held in her right hand,” matches your eyes.   ‘Twill look beautiful on ye lass,” Ian told her.     Those were the exact words that Emma wanted to hear.   She knew as well that the cloth she held in her right hand was the one she fell in love with, now she knew that she would please Andrew with it.

Emma noticed that Ian still seemed preoccupied.   He was nervous he wasn’t even paying attention to Duncan in his arms which she was sure that Ian didn’t even realize that Duncan had fallen asleep.   He kept looking over his shoulder to the stall across from them, Emma followed his gaze.     Ah, she knew now what was occupying Ian’s mind, the pretty lass working the stand.   She was definitely a bonny lass and Emma was already aware of Ian’s fondness for pale hair.   She would make sure they went there next.

“Gillian, I will take this cloth and the bolt of ivory lace,” Emma said as she turned towards the woman and handed over the cloth.   

“Perfect choice my lady.  I will have everything wrapped up for ye, just give me a moment,” Gillian replied, bowed and walked away.

After Gillian came back with Emma’s bundle, Emma paid her and Gillian then took a slumbering Duncan from Ian’s arms.    Ian took the bundle of cloth from Emma and handed it over to one of the guards to carry for her.

“Gillian, would ye be able to come up to the castle tomorrow and perhaps help me with my gown?” Emma asked her, hoping that she would have the time because she was marrying in a sennight and was starting to feel a bit overwhelmed about making her gown on her own.

“Of course I can help ye.  Are ye sure?” Gillian asked her in awe as she cradled Duncan closer to her.

“Aye, I wish to make my gown on my own, but I’m not sure that I will finish in time.  I would be glad of your help,” Emma told her as she patted Duncan on the back.

“Aye, I will help ye.  ‘Twill be an honour and I thank ye for asking,” Gillian replied, beaming that Emma asked for her help.

“Wonderful,” Emma responded .   “We will see ye in the morn, ye will take Duncan with ye?” she asked her hopefully.   The wee bairn was already pulling at her heart strings.

“Aye, if it won’t be a problem, I will take Duncan.   My husband works at the blacksmith’s, he cannot watch him.” Gillian responded gratefully.    Emma just nodded to her and clasped onto Ian’s arm and walked away.

She was steering them towards where the ribbons were sold and she felt Ian tense beside her.    She wasn’t going to be deferred by him, he was going to meet the lass if he wanted to or not.

“Ian, let’s go and look for some ribbons,” Emma told him as she dragged him towards the stand.    The bonny lass had already spotted them and had a look of surprise on her face.

“Perhaps Emma ye will want to look for slippers first?” Ian asked her, trying to persuade her to looking anywhere but towards the bonny lass with the pale hair.  

“Nae Ian, I want to look at ribbons,” Emma told him with a twinkle in her eyes and then she winked at him.    He groaned now, knowing that she knew why he didn’t want to go with her, she knew him all too well.

As they approached the stand, Emma could see the blush of pink on the woman’s cheeks.  Oh, she was going to be play matchmaker and she was definitely going to succeed.   The sparks between the two were already flying and anything who came near could feel them.

“Good morn,” Emma told the lass smiling.   “Can ye help me find some pretty ribbon to match my cloth?” Emma asked her sweetly.   The lass was clearly fixed onto Ian and Ian onto her.   Emma wasn’t even sure the lass heard her.    A couple more seconds went by and Emma cleared her throat to get both of their attention.

“Oh...my apologies Lady McKenna,” the lass replied doing down in the curtsey.   “May I help ye?” she asked her sweetly, finally taking her gaze from Ian and addressing Emma.

“How did ye know to call me Lady McKenna?” Emma asked her, stunned for she never met the lass before and it was her first visit to the village.  

The woman was fidgeting now, twirling some ribbons between her fingers.  ”Aye well, the stable boy came over to tell me that he heard that Sir Andrew’s bride was in the village looking for her wedding finery,” she said shyly, peering up at Emma.   “When I saw ye with Sir Ian, I just knew that ye were Andrew’s bride.”

“Ah...”was all the Emma said.   She had only been in the village for a short period of time and already the villagers knew that the future Lady McKenna was there purchasing things for her wedding day.  

“Aye, well then, no calling me Lady McKenna, ye will call me Emma,” she told her giving her a brilliant smile.

“No my lady, I cannot.    I will call ye Lady Emma then, it’s not proper for me to address ye with just your Christian name,” the lass told her again, bobbing a curtsey.

Emma was getting a bit tired of all the curtseys she just wanted to be treated like everyone else and not like she was royalty.  She turned to look at Ian and was shocked to see the look on his face.  He was besotted with the lass.  The look of silliness across his face, he was grinning looking at her, he was blushing too.   

Emma turned towards the lass, “And ye are?” she asked her, hoping to get her name so that she could introduce her to Ian.

“Jenny my lady,” Jenny bobbed a curtsey once again.

“No more curtseys Jenny,” Emma demanded of her.    “I am a lass just like ye are, no more...please,” Emma pleaded with her now.

“As ye wish,” Jenny replied going red for over doing her politeness.

“Jenny, my brother-in-law Ian,” Emma gestured to Ian beside her who still didn’t breathe a word yet.   She saw that Jenny turned towards Ian, a blush on her cheeks as she shyly down-casted her eyes from him.

Love.  Emma thought as she looked between the two of them.   She had to nudge Ian in the ribs with her elbow before he acknowledged Jenny.  Finally Ian started breathing again and reached across the table to take Jenny’s hand.   He lightly kissed the top of her knuckles.   “Pleasure to meet you Jenny,” he told her warmly and smiled.    “Jenny is a very bonny name.”

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

637K 28.7K 23
HIGHEST RANKING #6 in HISTORICAL FICTION! --- For all her life, Lady Evie Verrick had been regaled of tales of the Highlands from her Highland born a...
1.4K 62 33
Alora Abbott survived Fifth Year relatively unscathed, but she can't say the same for Sebastian Sallow, who spent the first two weeks of summer pieci...
5.9K 289 13
Fanfiction - Last edit 21/01/23 Iona had never wanted to get married; she didn't need to. She wasn't brought up to be the damsel. When her father spr...
385K 18.2K 53
Set in the early fourteenth century. Scotland, this is the story of Agneta MacInnes oldest daughter of the laird of Kinlochaline Castle and her adven...