Chapter Twenty-One - Scottish Beauty

Chapter Twenty-One

 As they descended the stairs into the Great Hall to break their fast, Emma realized that once again, all eyes were on her and Andrew.  She looked over at Andrew to read his expression but he was just grinning from ear to ear.   As they approached the high table, Angus was the first to greet them.

"Andrew," Angus nodded to him and then taking Emma's hand, he kissed her knuckles........"Good morn Lady McKenna.........I trust ye slept well!" Angus' eyes twinkled when he spoke.

"Aye," Emma answered looking over her shoulder at Andrew as to why his Da was acting strangely.   Addressing her so formally really was not Angus' style.   "I slept very well, thank ye Angus."  She went to pull out a stool next to Robert when Angus tugged on her hand and motion for her to take his chair.

"Och....Angus....I canna take your chair," Emma scoffed, "Tis no proper.  Ye are Laird." She went again to sit down on the stool when Angus again steered her towards his chair.

"Ye will sit here Emma and break your fast." Angus beamed.  "Tis more comfortable for ye."

"Nae.....I canna," Emma insisted but Angus was insistent until she finally sat in the Laird's chair.    Ian came back from the kitchen now, mug in his hand and handed it to Emma.

"Tis peppermint tea Emma..........just the way ye like it," Ian smiled at her.  "I added a teeny bit of honey."

"Oh....thank ye Ian...........twas very kind of ye to make it for me," Emma replied taking a sip of her warm tea.   She looked up once again and they all were staring at her.   She looked down at her gown to see if anything was amiss.....no......perhaps it was her hair, so she went to pat it down, but nothing seemed amiss there as well.  Emma decided to shrug off their odd behaviour.

"Emma...." Robert called to her now.   "I'll have cook make ye some fresh eggs."  And before she could answer him, he was off running towards the kitchen.   Emma looked back at Robert's retreating form........now what's gotten into him?

"Do ye like honey on your bread Emma," Grant asked her as he took some bread and slathered honey on it and placed it on her trencher.   Emma just watched him, amazed.....usually Grant was always the one to tease, but not this morn, he was serious.   He was blushing as well, what is wrong with all of them?

Emma peered over at Andrew now, he wasn't seated beside her.   He was eating, grinning.....watching his brother's fall over to assist her in anything that she needed. 

"Emma," Ian called to her now.  "I spoke with Gillian yesterday, she will come tomorrow with Duncan and help ye make yourself some new gowns."  Ian was grinning now as well.   "I will help ye with some of the bolts of cloth from the storage room.  Ye tell me which ones, I'll get them for ye."

"I can help too," Grant butted in.  "I mean, if ye like Emma."  Emma was stunned at that.  Grant was offering to help her make gowns.

Robert was back now with some eggs, meat and cheese for Emma.   He placed it down in front of her and took the stool beside her.   Grinning, he was as well.  Emma looked down at her plate..........did he expect her to eat off of this?  

"Robert......I canna eat all of this," Emma pleaded with him.   "Ye take some for yourself."  She took the trencher and started spooning some of her food onto his.

"Nae Emma........tis ye who needs to eat." Robert stilled her hand and put the food back onto her trencher.   Emma was frowning now, there was no way that she could eat all of this food.  She knew that her appetite had increased but she didn't think that it had increased this much.