Chapter Twenty-Eight - Scottish Beauty

The courtyard of Castle Campbell was lit up by hundreds of torches.   The night drew cold, for it was still mid-April and Andrew just wanted to get Emma inside where it was warm.   She never moved in his arms the whole time they made their way, her eyes fluttered several times and Andrew's hopes came up, only to come crashing down when they closed once again.

Donald and Elise had ridden faster the last mile, so when the McKenna's arrived in the courtyard, Donald, Elise, and who Andrew assumed was Lady Campbell and Emma's other sister Evelyn was waiting for them.  There was also hundreds of Campbell's waiting the courtyard as well for they all knew that Lady Emma was finally being brought home.

Lady Campbell was a beautiful woman from what Andrew could see, now he knew where Emma and Elise got their beauty from.  The biggest difference was that Lady Campbell had long dark black hair, whereas the daughters all got their red hair from Donald.   The youngest came into view now and Andrew sucked in his breath, for she was a younger version of his Emma.  

Donald rushed over to help him dismount and Andrew was loathed to give up Emma even for the few minutes.  His arms were killing him, the ride was about two hours and two hours he held onto her for dear life.   He would hold onto her forever if he had to.  He passed Emma down into her father's waiting arms and then dismounted himself.  He noticed his Da, Robert and Grant dismounting as well.  Elise ran over to greet his family while Lady Campbell and Evelyn had rushed over to see Emma.

Before Andrew could walked back over to Donald and take Emma back into his arms, Lady Campbell rushed over to see her daughter.    She cradled her face in her hands and kissed her forehead, she didn't want to let go.  She was murmuring words to Emma that no one could really hear except perhaps Donald.

"She will be fine Eileen," Donald assured her.  "Ye will introduce yourself now."

Turning towards Andrew now, she made a small curtsey, her bottom lip was trembling as she took another peak at Emma in her husband's arms.   Her eyes were brimming with tears but she fought to stay strong and not one of them dropped.   "Ye must be Andrew," she asked hesitantly, shyly smiling up at him.

"Aye," Andrew replied smiling at his mother-in-law.   "Tis a pleasure to meet ye Lady Campbell."  Andrew took her small hand in his and kissed it.

Eileen was overcome with emotion, this was her son-in-law standing in front of her, she read and reread Elise's missive at least ten times.    She knew that Andrew was a good lad who Elise had described was very much in love with Emma.  Eileen smiled back......"Ye will call me Eileen then, for we are family now."  Andrew nodded at his mother-in-laws warmth.

Standing beside Eileen was Evelyn, who couldn't hold back her tears as well as her Mother, she was silently sobbing beside her mother waiting for an introduction to Andrew.   Her Mother seemed to have forgotten that she was there for her focus was back on Emma now so Evelyn decided to introduce herself.  Forgetting about a curtsey and thrusting her hand out to Andrew....."I am Evelyn," she sniffled out..."Emma's youngest sister."

Andrew's eyes twinkled, she was young and spirited just like his Emma.   "Aye... I am Andrew, your brother-in-law," Andrew took her hand and kissed it as well.  "Ye are just as beautiful as Emma is."    Evelyn blushed when Andrew told her she was beautiful, the tears stopped instantly.   What Andrew didn't expect was the lad behind Andrew to put his arms on Evelyn's shoulders and reach around her with his hand out.    Instinct told Andrew that he was jealous of Andrew's compliment to Evelyn.  This definitely must be his brother-in-law-to-be then.