Aella (manxman) - ON HOLD

By Syrvat

**WINNER of 3 awards in 2016 and 2017** [[+18]] ** this book is on hold for now, but I haven't abandoned it... More

Part I~~ Ch1~Agape
Bulge
Exchanging... names
Mystery of the Aella man
First Agape
Aftermath
A dream come true
Unexpected surprise
Red fumes
Sin of love
My sweet Aella
Foe friend
Unfair
Claimed... twice
AN : Syrvat's Lovers' contest
Like a baby rabbit
Oh pears, I love you!
Day one
Rebelote
Moonlight
My Aella's fears
Tomorrow
Glimpse of the past
Good morning
Career prospects
Tricky opportunity
Welcome party
Perfect B
No other
Mission impossible
Perfect dreams
Just a cave
Part II~~ ch1~Shifting tides
frantic hopes
Phoenix?
Scream
Consequences
Little pearl
Detour
Ensnared
Live or die
Priorities
Hope
Once and for all
Part III~~ ch1~My first sail
Still here
Bad spirits
Escape
Struggle
Waterfall
Encounters
I can get you a rabbit

Reunion

16.8K 1K 786
By Syrvat

AN: Yo sweeties!

How about another chapter of our dear Aellos?

~~~~~~~

Ceri

"Are you sure?"

"Please, Alev. I can do this. You don't have to watch me all day long. You said it yourself, I needed to practice moving around the island on my own. So I will set the traps and practice making weapons."

"Is this about what Essylt and Milen said yesterday? Because you don't need to impress anyone. I thought I made it clear that you were to learn at your own pace and take your time doing it. Becoming an independent Aello cannot happen in a few days, it takes patience and perseverance. I want you to enjoy learning. This is not about them, Ceri, this is about you"

I smiled and shook my head. This is about us, father.

"I understand that I'm not yet ready for my Prueba, but I never will be if I don't start doing things on my own"

He stared at me for a long moment before saying: "We're merely a few minutes away from our den. If you feel tired or something, just go back and wait for me there. You're certain that you remember how to get back?"

"I am. Please go to your hunting. I've been keeping you back a lot. I've got this"

He eyed me for another moment, hesitant to leave me alone.

After our meeting with Aello Essylt and then Aello Milen yesterday, I knew I had to be able to go through my Prueba test sooner than later. It seemed that being at the age of 17 and not living alone bothered many of the others. They conveniently forgot that I've been here for less than two weeks, and I didn't want anything related to me to annoy Alev. I needed to take this more seriously and not let Alev face the other Aellos while thinking he had to protect me.

I absolutely needed to take some responsibility and somehow prove that I can be independent, that I am useful.

When he didn't move, I grabbed some small branches and proceeded to make a rabbit trap like he had showed me before.

"You can come with me if you want"

I shook my head: "I'd like to learn the basics first. Just like you said"

His lips twitched nearly forming a smile. I have been going hunting with Alev the past few days. Unfortunately, I was too loud and slow. So we couldn't go far. They only couple preys we got were what he was able to catch when he left me to rest and hunted alone, then came back to me with the food.

He didn't say anything, but I noticed how much he wanted to hunt properly. Following him around will serve me nothing if I still can't draw a bow or throw a knife.

He stood there a while longer, then ran a hand through his hair.

"Fine. I will leave you to practice alone today. I want to get us a nice deer, so I might not be back for lunch. You have enough food from yesterday in the den"

I nodded: "Don't worry about me. I will be alright"

"Okay then. See you at dinner"

I stood and bowed in respect. Just before disappearing, he looked back and called my name: "You're doing very well so far, Ceri. Don't push yourself. Try to enjoy your new life."

I grinned and before I could say anything, he was gone. I stood there for a couple of minutes letting what he said sink in. It wasn't the words as much as the kindness behind them.

I had a father.

I was still not very used to the idea and small events like this one made me think about it and feel happy all over again. With renewed determination, I sat back on my heels and resumed making the trap.

A while later, I had made two. The second trap looked much better than the first one. I wanted to show this one to Alev and have him tell me if I should make the knots closer or not. It would be amazing if I managed to catch something with it and present it to my father.

Full of renewed hope, I focused more on my work. I was doing the last touches when I heard movement behind me. I looked back and waited for something to emerge from behind the trees, but nothing did. I reassured my startled heart that it was probably a bird and crouched again to grab the trap I was finishing.

But it wasn't long before I heard the bristling in the trees behind me again. I instantly scrambled to my feet and stood with my back to the tree. I saw a branch moving and I thought about looking for my knife, but I didn't dare look away from the trees around me.

The movement stopped again, and when it resumed, a person came into view.

And it was the one person I expected the least.

My first reaction was to smile in surprise. I smiled because it has been many days since we spoke. But then I remembered the circumstances of our parting and my smile dropped.

I remained silent as my mouth opened and closed without finding the proper thing to say. And I did the best thing that worked, it always worked.

I bowed my head and lowered my gaze, waiting obediently for the Aella-hunter to praise or scold.

Drita strode towards me. Once she was a few feet away, I flinched and pressed closer to the tree. She seemed to notice because she stopped moving and just remained there, gazing at me. I peeked to see her expression to at least know if I was in trouble or not, but she looked grim and stoic.

"You didn't look back" she stated, quite coldly.

I frowned in confusion and she repeated: "The day your father claimed you. You left and you didn't look back."

Was I supposed to look back? Did I forget to kneel to the Aella-hunters??

That never occurred to me. I've never been told to look back and I was so taken by having Ithel by my side and my father before me. Maybe I should've said something before I left their territory.

Their territory

I was so used to seeing Drita and, for a moment, I forgot that she wasn't allowed to be here! These were the Aello grounds and not even the Aella-hunters were allowed to venture this far.

When I didn't say anything, Drita came closer and tilted her head back to look down at me more.

"Alev left you here alone. That's not wise of him. You're yet to learn how to protect yourself"

It felt like she wanted me to say something so I did: "I-I'm ok. I mean... I..."

"I missed you." she said and took two steps further until she was at arm's reach, "Did you miss me?"

I nodded frantically hoping to satisfy her. It worked because her features softened and she smiled: "Did you want to visit me?"

Um...... I did think about visiting Halina. But even I knew better than to wander into their territory now.

She ignored my silence and continued. "I wanted to see you sooner, but I had to find Alev's den first."

"You..."

She tilted her head to the side and her voice trailed as she taunted: "I?"

"Y-you shouldn't be here-I mean, th-this territory-"

"I go be wherever I want. You should know that by now"

"But..." What about the laws of our tribe? And the leaders?

It was like she could read my mind because she answered my thoughts: "Cailyn has no say in my actions and even less that Sosanbra child"

She said the last part with a scoff and it didn't settle well with me. Even if Sosanbra wasn't my favorite Aella, she was the Leader and I respected her. Once again Drita acted like she was above all laws and rules, and while I envied her courage, I knew it wasn't right.

Not that I dared to say anything, though. That would be a fruitless attempt from my side. Drita moved her arm and her fingers brushed my cheek: "You look pale. Do you-"

I knew what she was going for and I couldn't stop myself from interrupting her: "I eat well!"

Her eyes narrowed slightly in annoyance and I cleared my throat uncomfortably, and then I stepped aside to put some distance between us: "I'm eating well everyday and I practice a lot too. Aello Alev is very kind to me"

"Is he, now?"

I nodded: "He's gentle and he never scares me or yells at me. He teaches me something new every day and I'm happy with him. He's very patient with me. He's a good father"

My enthusiasm didn't seem to reach her. Drita seemed to consider my words before she put her hand on her weapon by her hip and looked away. Then she mumbled loud enough for me to hear: "I wonder how long will that last"

"What do you mean?"

She turned to me and I could sense pity in her look and tone as she stated the obvious. The hurtful truth. "You're over seventeen, Ceri. There's no Aello your age who's still living with their father, or with anyone, for that matter."

I felt like I was slapped by reality. A pout started to take over my features and I tried to fight it. I knew it was useless to contradict Drita. She was smart and strong. She was always right. And yet what she said was very hurtful and I felt like I had to say something.

So I mumbled, "He didn't know I was alive before-"

"That doesn't change the fact that your learning days are behind you. And soon, Alev will realize that no matter what you both do, it will never compensate for the ten years he left you waiting for him on the mountain, crying and trying to sneak away with every boy that was claimed"

My gaze fell to the ground. I looked around me and my eyes settled on the 'good one'. Now it looked awful. The knots were not evenly distributed and some were looser than others.

I spent hours working on it, yet it looked like it was made by very clumsy paws.

I was awful. I would never make my father proud like other Aellos. He'll never flaunt my abilities to other hunters the way Essylt did with Lug.

However, even while I knew how awful of a son I was, and how unlucky Alev was to have been stuck with me, I knew he truly wanted me to be by his side and he really wanted to help and teach me.

"He loves me"

Drita's eyes narrowed slightly. I hurried to explain before she said anything else, "He really cares about me. He knows who I am and what I'm capable of. Or.. Rather, all that I'm not capable of. And he doesn't mind. Not just because he says so, but I feel it and I believe him. He doesn't talk much, but I know. In my heart, I know I'm not a bother-"

"Not a bother, you say?" she interpreted me and I stared at her, almost pleading to her with my eyes not to crash my dreams and assert my fears any more. "He's a proud Aello in his most strength and best years of his life, yet he has to hold back because of a son he never heard about before? How is he supposed to teach you when he doesn't even know how to deal with you in the first place!"

"He doesn't think that way!"

Drita laughed with a scoff and nodded. A nod I knew meant anything but being convicted with what I said. She pursed her lips and looked away for a minute before she turned to me again.

"Alev is out there, hunting without you because he can't catch a thing with you on his heels. Let me guess. He tried taking you with him before, but he failed to catch anything alive, right?"

I blinked. How did she know? Was it that obvious?

"So I'm right."

I sighed and pouted further. "I couldn't move silently. The deer and the rabbit heard my steps and escaped so quickly"

"That's not your fault. You're not supposed to know how to hunt immediately." And yet everyone is expecting me to. "I admire the confidence you have in Alev. I hope he doesn't show you his bad side any time soon because you won't be able to handle him."

I bit my lower lip, unable to imagine Alev turning against me in any way, but at the same time, I was unable to discard Drita's warnings.

I needed to become so much more is no time. It was so unfair.

Drita approached and grabbed both my upper arms. "It's alright. You're alright, Ceri. You just need to be with someone who knows you well enough and knows how to take care of you."

Who else would want to take care of me? I'm probably the biggest liability there was on this island! Aside from Alev... maybe that Aello Milen. But I don't even know him, and I can't imagine him being any better than Alev. Alev was my father! Why can't I just stay with him?

What if Drita was right and he wasn't happy with me? Not even Ithel was here to take me off his hands and let him breathe enough to not get fed off of me.

Ithel... my heart pinched at the thought. He said that he wouldn't mind at all if I lived with him, but I was yet to see him again. Did he reconsider and preferred to stay away?

"Cailyn will not take you."

"I-I know"

"And any other Aello will not stand you for more than a couple of days before becoming cruel to you"

I looked away. I could feel her staring at me like she was trying to read my thoughts. Something in her eyes told me she wasn't happy with me at all right now.

"Don't tell me you're thinking about that useless shit?"

I tilted my head in confusion and she almost yelled, "That boy"

"Ithel?"

"I don't care what his name is! You can't seriously think you can rely on him?"

"He's... kind-"

"He's arrogant."

I shrugged slightly. On the contrary, I was about to say. Ithel is so respectful and sweet. Also beautiful. Very, very beautiful...

Drita met my gaze and glared at me threateningly. "I will say this only once and you better head my words, kid. You are NOT to talk to that Aello again, you hear me? The way he pawed at you in front of everyone, even the Leader himself did nothing! It was disgusting and humiliating. If it wasn't a sensitive matter, I would've broken both his arms. And here I thought you've learned your lesson from the last beating I gave you. But I guess I have to spill out for you: Do not let that worm touch you or get close to you ever again. And if you don't obey me, I promise you, I will not forgive you!"

The finality of her words made me gulp. Her eyes held so much despise towards Ithel that it shocked me. I escaped her glare, unconvinced in the least. Ithel was very polite and not overly so either. He was so confident and composed. He didn't get angry or frustrated with me even when I was being childish. He was patient and he never said a single word that hurt me. His calmness gave me a sense of peace that I never felt with anyone else.

With Halina, I was always a burden. She never hinted towards it, but the other Aellas did their job well by continuously reminding me of my position. And with Alev, I am the son that will forever be ten years behind, never making my father truly happy with me.

But with Ithel...

Ithel was something else. He was the everlasting warmth and kindness. He was patience and unconditional friendship.

He was love.

If not Ithel, who else was there for me?

"You think they'll be patient with you forever? You have no idea what the Aellos are capable of. Do you know what they do to the children who come of age but are not ready to face the world on his own?"

A frown worked its way on my forehead as I thought about that.

Children came down here with their fathers. Fathers who swore to the mother-Aellas that they'd keep safe from harm and well fed. What could they possibly do?

"The father simply goes out one day and never comes back."

My heart thumped strongly in my chest.

"What? Why??"

"The boy is left alone in the den to starve unless he gets his ass out there and manages to catch something."

"But... what if-"

"If he's too scared to get some food for himself or too stupid that he got himself killed by a wild animal, then that's his destiny. The Aello will not even stop to think twice about what happened. He will just father another kid from another Aella. And all the dead child's mother gets are the clothes the boy wore last. And you know what? That is definitely not the most hideous thing an Aello has done to a son"

No way.

If such a thing happened, I would die of sadness! I can't ever imagine Alev... my own father...

"He loves me." I said. "My father loves me and he wouldn't abandon me. I hear about how ruthless the Aellos can be, Drita. I even met a few to know how difficult things are for me now. But not Alev. He won't abandon me"

"We're back to that, huh"

She stared at me. A part of me wanted to back off like I always did, but another part of me wanted to hold my ground and defend Alev.

"You're growing fast, Ceri" she finally said. She sounded a bit sad. But then her voice hardened and deepened with anger, "You became stubborn. You're drifting away faster than I thought and I cannot have that. I will NOT have that, you hear me?"

She grabbed the back of my neck and tugged me closer: "Remember who's the one who protected you all those years. You think a weakling like Halina could keep the Aellas away from you on her own?"

Her fingers pressed strongly on my neck and I whined. My pain didn't seem to satisfy her, because she ignored me and continued.

"I was the one who protected you for years. I was the only one who cared enough to tell you the truth about your mother. I got you the fish you liked, I kept fruits aside for you in my den, I gave you my weapons to play with"

I nodded quickly: "I-I know, Drita. Of course! And-and I'm very thankful!" I grabbed her wrist to try and make her ease her grip on my neck. But I didn't push her hand away. I knew better than to force Drita into anything.

"What else?"

"Huh?"

"What other favors have I done to you? Or have you forgotten all already"

"Um..." I tried to exhaust my mind to find something quickly.

Think, Ceri. Think!

I was so nervous, the words were starting to slip away from me. I needed to say something good or she could punish me!

My hand unconsciously covered my backside. No punishments. Please, no more... I am an Aello now. I am learning how to be strong and independent. How could I explain it to Alev if I wasn't able to walk properly tomorrow morning!!!

She kept glaring at me, and eventually, all my courage faded. It scared me how quickly I was back to being weak, just like when I was fatherless. It was like nothing had changed at all. Nothing! I was alone again, facing an angry Aella-hunter, for a reason I was yet to understand. I had to find a way out on my own because no one could help me. Here I was. There she stood drilling holes of terror in my mind. And no one to help me.

Where are you? Why aren't you here with me?

She asserted her demand with a tug at my neck. I looked down and tried to sound as polite as possible:

"Y-you gave me food"

I took a peek at her, but she didn't seem impressed at all. Of course, she wasn't. She just said that she gave me fish and fruits. Idiot. I'm such an idiot!

"You would talk to me. And let me into your den"

"I did. That's because you were a good boy, Ceri. I even let you play with my son and care for him anytime you wanted. I brought you flowers, told you about the animals and everything you once ignored. I even cut trees for you and carried heavy tree trunks for you to carve for days!"

"You were always a g-good friend"

Her grip finally loosened and she sighed: "Yes. Yes, I was. And I still am. I've been your most trusted ally for years. I kept you safe. I fed you. I watched you. I protected you"

"You protected me"

Her hand released my neck and cupped my face, and her thumb traced the line of my jaw: "You are perfect the way you are. You never needed much training to be a good boy. I was always proud of you, and I still am. But I will not let them ruin my work. I will not let anyone dirty your mind and deprive you of your innocence! You are to stay faithful to your true self, Ceri. Faithful to me, you hear?"

I nodded. I didn't understand what she was saying, but I nodded anyway. She just wanted me to stay good. That's what I was trying to do anyway. Train the best I could, obey my father and work hard.

She seemed very pleased with my reaction and her voice became calmer: "Keep yourself scarce. Do as Alev says. You don't need to actually learn hunting. Just keep training to keep him away from you. If he thinks you're working, he won't lash out at you or hurt you. And try not to talk to anyone as much as possible. The last thing you need is to draw attention to yourself."

"Um... they've been talking-"

"Who?"

"The Aellos. About my Prueba"

"Don't mind them. It's still way too soon for you."

"It seems they've been pressuring Alev and even the Leader. They want me to get it done"

"Absolutely not!! You are barely safe here as it is. If you go to another island alone, you'll be dead before the first sunset!"

"I'll take weapons with me-"

"What use will any weapons be if you don't have the strength in your arms to kill!"

"I don't have a choice. I need to do it. I'm old enough"

She pulled me into a hug: "You will not leave this island, Ceri. As an Aella-hunter, I am not allowed to leave the mountain for a long time, so I won't be able to come protect you if you sail."

"But... the Aellos-"

"I don't care what they want. If Alev is not man enough to stop them, then I will"

"A-Alev told them to wait"

"You let Alev deal with the Aellos and you stay away from them as much as you can. This is what they do, they intimidate each other and prey on the weak. Do not underestimate their viciousness. You are too ignorant to know how to deal with them. You need to stay put, just for a while longer and then I'll take care of everything. And if the worst came to happen, I will be there for you, you hear me? Just like always"

She ran her fingers in my hair repeatedly. I didn't say anything. She was being overprotective. That had always helped me before. But now I didn't think I needed her protection anymore.

Now, I had a father. I had a brave Leader, and I had...

Ithel.

I didn't know where he was or if he was away because I was too much of a nuisance.

But even if I bored him, I knew he would come to my help if he knew I needed him. I had a blind trust towards his kindness and I knew he was infinitely better than myself-

I was suddenly brought out of my thoughts when I felt Drita's mouth covering mine. A shiver of terror and awkwardness traveled up my spine and my eyes widened in confusion. She was holding my chin strongly, with eyes closed, a deep frown, and her other hand on the small of my back. In a few seconds, she started moving her lips against mine and I the feeling of disgust rose steadily in my stomach.

What was happening? She has never done this before, never gone this far, so why now??

This was so wrong.

I knew because the only one I wanted to be this intimate with wasn't here right now. It wasn't Drita.

I managed to push her back enough for our lips to part. I felt a tremble in my knees signaling my fear of her retaliation. I heaved and stared at my bare feet as to not meet her eyes and possibly discover that I got her angry with me yet again. It was like everything was conspiring for me to get my ass kicked today!

I was trying to become a better person. A stronger Aello. But so far I still couldn't chase the fear of this Aello-hunter who was once a dear friend of mine. Now most of our encounters were either too scary or painful. And I wasn't ready to meet her again so soon. I wasn't ready to face her wrath. Not yet, not ever.

However, it seemed like she didn't notice the whirlwind of thoughts that tormented me. I waited for her to strike me for pushing her away, but she did not yell or hit me. Instead, she wrapped her arms around me into a crushing hug and she chuckled, her words sending omening chills riding my spine

"Only I can have you, Ceri. Soon. On the next Agape, you will be mine.

Mine to protect. Mine in every way."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.5K 2.1K 47
I was scared. Too scared to tell Komaeda that I loved him. But when the perfect opportunity arose, there was nothing I could do to stop myself from t...
149K 3K 19
PLEASE GOD THIS STORY SUCKS ASS SO DONT READ IT IF YOU TREASURE YOUR SANITY THX Oliver, (16) has been a black sheep. His seven brothers seem to grasp...
400 10 8
TW: Blood, violence • • • Blood partners. The phenomenon which arose along with sanguines. In this relationship, a human and a sanguine a directly de...
865K 32.8K 67
"Nobody is allowed between these pretty little thighs but me....and if anyone tries...𝐈'𝐥𝐥 𝐤𝐢𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦." ~ The leader of the most notorious...