The Cost of Love

By seaofgold

"I used to always talk about escaping this place. Always thinking about it, always dreaming about it. I would... More

The Cost of Love
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37

Chapter 25

233 10 2
By seaofgold

Hi everyone! Another update, and the next one should be really soon! 

I know these chapters are short, but bear with me! Some feedback would probably make them longer... hint hint lol. 

Song of the chapter is "Ocean Drive" by Duke Dumont

And a picture of Kiara, just because :)

Chapter 25

Kiara POV

"Happy birthday, Kiara," my mom smiled as she hugged me tight, her gold bangles jingling on her wrist from the movement. She pulled away and gazed at me with soft eyes. The perfect Luna. 

"Thanks, Mom," I replied, giving a toothy grin. My hair was still damp from messing around in the snow, which was now melting and dripping all over the floor. But, it being my birthday and all, nobody had the balls to scold me. 

"It's a big one, you know," my father said and tipped his head towards me, showing me a teasing smile. 

"Don't remind me," I squirmed. Even though I was eighteen and technically ready to become Luna of the pack, I knew I wasn't ready. I needed much more practice and preparation. I needed some time with my mom. Lynn Everhart was the picture perfect Alpha female, with her poise and graceful attitude. Unlike me, who had just had a snowball fight with her mate outside for an hour. 

Speaking of my mate, I looked over at Connor. My dad had always seemed to be on guard around him, but right now it didn't look like his posture had changed. Maybe things were finally starting to change, I thought. Connor looked more carefree and happy than I had ever seen him. The light in his forest green eyes made my chest burn, and his easygoing smile was a stark difference from his usual tensed jaw. Watching my family interact with him and the fact that he was so comfortable made my heart swell with excitement. 

"You must open your present from us," my mother said as she clapped her hands together in excitement. Yup, that was about as rowdy as she got, that woman. She held out a small white box tied with a light pink ribbon. I grasped it from her gingerly, not wanting to screw up the dainty packaging. 

I unwrapped the box to find a silver chain. I held it up to eye level; there was a glistening, white pearl clasped on the end. It was simple, but it was beautiful. 

"Pearls are the only jewel that grow," my mom explained. "And so have you. And I know that you will be the most amazing Luna someday, our jewel." My dad wrapped an arm around her as she finished and they embraced, making my eyes tear up. 

I wiped my stupid tears with embarrassment. "It's beautiful, Mom. I'll never take it off. Thank you," I said and hugged them both. 

"Er, I got you a present, too." I looked up to see who interrupted our picture perfect family moment, and laughed when I saw Chase looking extremely uncomfortable. He was standing next to Connor, who winked at me when I looked his way. Lauren was beside Chase, holding his hand firmly. She was just starting to show, her little baby bump visible in her simple white tank. I smiled at them both. 

"Aw, Chase! You didn't have to do that," I said. He shook his head as if to say 'nonsense' and handed me a medium sized shopping bag. What could that be? 

Wrinkling my eyebrows, I reached into the bag. And I started cracking up. 

I brought out two walkie talkies, tossing one to Chase. I was still laughing when he explained to me, "Now I can communicate with you without having to stand so close. And without having to witness the sound effects of you two's PDA." he pretended to shudder. Connor chuckled and clapped him on the back, sending me a smirk. My stomach dropped in anticipation; I just wanted to kiss him now. 

"This is great," I laughed. "We can have code names and everything!" I pressed the call button on the side. "KiKi to DILF, Kiki to DILF, over," I said into the walkie. 

Chase raised an eyebrow. "DILF?" I nodded at Lauren's baby bump. And they started cracking up, looking at each other with so much love and emotion I had to actually look away. 

"Oh God, what have you done, Chase?" Connor pretended to groan, but I could see the grin trying to peek out. I slapped his arm playfully, but he caught my hand and intertwined it with his. I bit my lip so I wouldn't make out with him in front of my parents. I had my PDA limits. 

It was hard though, with him being so irresistible all the time. Seriously, I was convinced the Moon Goddess sculpted him herself. 

"Wanna go outside again?" I asked him. Frankly, I just wanted to be alone with him so I could do what I've wanted to do since we woke up this morning: kiss him like crazy. 

"I'd actually like to talk to Connor for a moment, if that's alright," my dad interjected, making me widen my eyes in surprise. His face had the 'don't mess with the Alpha' look to it, so I knew not to disagree. 

Connor practically jolted in surprise, his body stiffening. It was clear the two were having some sort of man stand off. "Of course, Alpha," he said, his voice taking on a serious tone. 

I rolled my eyes. Why couldn't they just finally get along? After all, Connor would be taking my dad's position one day. Instead of trying to intimidate him, my dad could be teaching him! 

With a quick kiss on my cheek, leaving me more hungry than satisfied, Connor untangled his hand from mine and followed my dad into his office. The large door closed with a loud click in the otherwise silent living room. 

"Well then," I dragged out. "I guess I'll still go outside before the snow stops." I hugged my mom, then Chase. "Thank you guys for the presents. Really. It means a lot." 

 My mom kissed the top of my head. "We love you. Now, where's Adrian? He was so excited to give you his gift a couple of days ago, and now he's nowhere to be found..." she trailed off. 

I snorted a laugh. "Adrian's a little preoccupied right now. I understand." I decided I'd keep his Savannah secret for now. For now. That boy seriously needed a good knock on the head. 

The cold wind shocked my senses as I opened the front door, smacking me across the face and whipping my hair back. It was practically on the verge of a blizzard; I could barely see. Most people wouldn't dream of going out in this weather, but I loved the snow. Being a werewolf, I never got too cold, and winter always brought cozy, warm fires and hot chocolate with it. Especially this year, I'd have Connor. Picturing us by the fire made me forget all about the cold. I wonder what he'd look like in a sweater, I thought. 

Looking behind me, I noticed that I couldn't really see the pack house anymore. It was a hazy, dark blob now, but I didn't mind. It honestly felt great to be alone for a while, even if I was just out on the front lawn. I breathed deeply, my breath turning into another cloud of white to add to the blizzard. Although the weather was stormy, it was dead silent. The snow made no sound; there was just the occasional howl of the wind through the surrounding forest. 

Suddenly, a click. 

It sounded unnatural in the white haze. I peered through the snowy air to see a figure. It came closer, and my breath caught in my throat. My blood froze to ice, and I stood stock still. 

"Hey there, girly," he said, wiggling his fingers as he came into view. It was the hunter I'd seen months ago, the one who threatened Connor and I that one day on our way home from school. He smiled teasingly, like he didn't have a care in the world. He had a weird looking gun pointed at me, and I registered that the click I heard was probably the safety being turned off. 

Okay, don't panic. You've been training for months now, I thought. I jutted my chin out, to show him I wasn't scared. But my knobby knees were giving me away. He chuckled, his scruffy, copper beard catching snowflakes. 

He aimed the gun, and my eyes widened. Trying to be brave wasn't working. I thought of Connor, my heart aching in my chest; he wouldn't even know what happened. I mean, we were right in front of the pack house. No one would think anything was wrong, unless - it hit me. I fished in my pocket and grabbed my birthday present. I held down the talk button on my walkie talkie, and before I could talk myself out of it, I screamed into it. 

"Chase, help!" 

And then there was blinding pain. 

_________________________________________________________

Sorry :( it had to happen! 

Next chapter should be up really soon. 

Don't forget to Fan/Vote/Comment and most importantly, enjoy! xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

129K 2.1K 29
(**Violence in some parts**) Abused physically and mentally. Diana takes it all for her sister Emma, the only blood related person she has left. She...
2.9K 112 19
(EDITING PLEASE RE-READ!) Isabella Adrienne has just turned 18 and must now find her true mate. In a world where being marked by anyone but your true...
8K 222 28
Kiara Blackmoon. A powerful Alpha whose pack was slaughtered not too long ago. Now a rouge, she has been on the run, hunted by the same people who t...
88K 3K 45
Paige Diana Morgan was considered the best in her class. She had a fierce quality about her. And why not she was one of the toughest nut to crack. S...