Aella (manxman) - ON HOLD

By Syrvat

**WINNER of 3 awards in 2016 and 2017** [[+18]] ** this book is on hold for now, but I haven't abandoned it... More

Part I~~ Ch1~Agape
Bulge
Exchanging... names
Mystery of the Aella man
First Agape
Aftermath
A dream come true
Unexpected surprise
Red fumes
Sin of love
My sweet Aella
Foe friend
Unfair
Claimed... twice
AN : Syrvat's Lovers' contest
Like a baby rabbit
Oh pears, I love you!
Rebelote
Reunion
Moonlight
My Aella's fears
Tomorrow
Glimpse of the past
Good morning
Career prospects
Tricky opportunity
Welcome party
Perfect B
No other
Mission impossible
Perfect dreams
Just a cave
Part II~~ ch1~Shifting tides
frantic hopes
Phoenix?
Scream
Consequences
Little pearl
Detour
Ensnared
Live or die
Priorities
Hope
Once and for all
Part III~~ ch1~My first sail
Still here
Bad spirits
Escape
Struggle
Waterfall
Encounters
I can get you a rabbit

Day one

18.3K 1.1K 353
By Syrvat

AN: Syrvat is back bitcheeeeeees :D

Sorry for the delay, bla bla bla

I really love and appreciate you, bla bla bla

Now let's get to business  ;)

Bisouuuus <3

~~~~~~~

Ceri (in photo)

I woke up to the sound of water. For the last few months, I was used to waking to the bright sun illuminating the wide sky. This time, it took me a moment to realize that I wasn't sleeping outside.

I felt cheerful at the thought of never sleeping outside. I have a home that I was welcomed to.

I propped myself on my right elbow. The sound of the water made me look at the other end of the den where Alev stood.

Alev. My father

I almost chuckled at the thought. He was filling the water. He paused when he felt my stare and looked past his shoulder to me.

"Ceri, you're awake"

I straightened myself and sat properly on my heels. I bowed my head a little and greeted him: "Good morning", I tried to push my hair back and continued: "I'm sorry I slept too long"

"It's ok. I don't mind. Did you sleep well?"

Well? I slept EXCELLENTLY!! It was the best sleep I got in a long time! Because I went to sleep while still feeling Ithel's embrace around me and his soft lips moving against mine.

My fingers moved to touch my lips and I barely caught myself before a dark blush invaded my face.

"Ceri?"

I realized I didn't answer him and quickly straightened my back: "I-I slept well!" I was louder than I meant to be, so I lowered my voice and dipped my head slightly in respect: "Thank you for asking"

He stared at me for another minute. I didn't dare look him in the eyes again, and finally, he went back to filling the water.

I sat there awkwardly, not knowing what I was supposed to do. I wanted to help, but I didn't know what I could do. Alev soon finished with the water and wiped his hands while talking to me: "I brought you some water. This should be enough for a couple of days." He stopped a little to sigh and push a hand through his hair before he continued: "You can drink and clean yourself. I'll go get you some fruits to eat. I...", his voice trailed and he leaned on the wall of the den for support. I looked at him and a frown worked its way on my forehead as I realized how exhausted he looked.

Alev didn't take the time to rest. He grabbed a bowl and plunged it in the basin of water before handing it to me. I stood and grabbed the bowl, then drank from it. He went to grab some of his weapons: "I didn't hunt yet so we have nothing to eat. I'll bring you some fruits for now and then I'll get you some meat"

I put the bowl aside and wiped my mouth with the back of my hand. I watched him move, slower than normal. And I also noticed how he avoided using his left arm. In fact, it was still wrapped in a cloth and tucked beside him.

He was hurt. He was in pain from whatever happened to him in Saeva, and it was all because of me.

I approached him carefully, trying to sound as respectful as possible: "Aello Alev, will you please let me gather the fruits for us?"

He was tucking a knife over his hip when he looked at me with the hint of a smile: "One day, I'll let you hunt and gather food on your own. There's no rush, Ceri. For now, let me take care of it until I teach you how to move around the forest without getting lost or facing danger."

I swallowed and stepped closer to him: "I really want to do this. I can do it alone. I promise I won't be long and I'll stay close so I wouldn't get lost."

Alev frowned. Probably thinking about it or not believing I wouldn't get lost by myself. A sweat slid from his forehead, but he didn't seem to notice. I offered him a smile to encourage him to stay: "Please?"

After a few seconds, he sighed and nodded grimly. I grinned and immediately left: "I'll be right back!"

He followed me outside his den, but I hurried my steps and disappeared into the forest.

I didn't go far. I double checked to make sure he wasn't following me anymore, and then I tilted my head back to look for some fruits.

The forest was beautiful. It was hard to believe such beauty could hold any danger. But I wasn't used to it and couldn't defend myself, so I better hurry.

Alev was obviously too tired to move. He was sweating and it wasn't even that hot at all. Maybe he's ill? Maybe he has a fever??

My heart clenched for him and I hurried in my search, making sure to walk in a straight line so I could find my way back. I ended up gathering some peaches, and of course, my new favorite fruit: Pears.

Even though I tried my best to not get lost, I had to wander a little to find Alev's den.

When I went inside, he was sitting with his back to the wall. His head was tilted back, his eyes closed and breathing heavily. I put the fruits beside him and took a step back, waiting for him to notice me. When he didn't, I cleared my throat and he opened his eyes quickly. As soon as he saw me, a look of relief took over his pale face.

I sat down and leaned forward to push the fruits towards him. He smiled: "You managed to get all of this on your own. I'm impressed"

My heart swelled with emotions. I watched as he took a weak bite of a pear and started chewing slowly. I grabbed a peach and sat there silently.

He barely finished half a pear before he rested his head back against the wall: "I'll go bring you a nice meal"

I frowned. He obviously was in no shape to go hunting right now: "I can go get us food-"

He shook his head: "No, I don't want you wandering in the forest on your own again. It can be dangerous out there."

"...... I prefer we both stay here and rest"

That made him look at me curiously before a smile tugged at his lips: "You're being kind. Don't worry, Ceri. I might look tired, but I'm ok. I've been through worse"

That actually made me wince. What was worse than being sick? What caused him to be this way? The more I looked at him the more I was convinced that he wasn't just tired.

After a while, he mumbled with eyes closed: "I'll take care of everything, son. Don't leave on your own... not safe..."

I sat on my heels waiting for him to talk or look at me again. But he looked like he fell asleep now. Or did he faint??? I didn't know. I dared to touch him and I shook his shoulder and called his name a few times, but he didn't wake up. My heart almost stopped at the thought that he might not open his eyes ever again; it wasn't unheard of to die of illness in our tribe.

I shook him harder and then put my ear on his chest. I felt his chest rise and fall with a weak rhythm of breathing that made me slump back in relief. Something in my eyes started to bother my vision and I wiped it before carefully moving Alev so he was laying on his back. When I accidentally touched his left arm, his face screwed a little in pain. So I made sure to cautiously put his arm to his side, just the way it was earlier.

I remembered the way the aellas would do everything they could to treat a child with a fever. Even if the child wailed, they'd hold him still and force him into a basin of fresh water.

So I tried to take care of Alev. I looked around me and found some deer skin to cover him with. Then I brought some water and used my trembling hand to spill some of it on his head.

"You're fine, Aello Alev. You're fine, you just need some rest"

I didn't know how to make a healing soup. I didn't know what herbs to use and the den looked completely empty of anything edible. For a second, it frustrated me, then I remembered that because of me, he had spent the last six months on a deadly island. So it was only normal that the den was not cleaned or prepared.

For a couple of hours, I continued to wet his head with some water and tried to get him to open his eyes. He didn't wake up, though. Now, I was fully panicking. I paced inside the den not knowing what to do. I felt so lonely and in need of help. I also felt so, so stupid! I could do nothing to help my father, NOTHING! And it scared me senseless that I might lose him so quickly.

This was so unfair. He had only claimed me yesterday. Since then, we have spent our time at the Aello's gathering and then came back here and slept. That was all the time I got with him. I didn't even know him that well. Actually, I didn't know him at all.

I didn't know what he liked and disliked, how he acted when he was angry, or when he was happy. Where he preferred to go and how he lived his life so far.

So many questions made me beg for the spirits to spare him and let him be my father.

Eventually, I covered him more and decided to leave the den. He specifically told me not to go outside on my own, but I was too scared to just wait and hope he'd get better. I had to do something.

My heart wanted nothing more than to run to Ithel right now and have him tell me what to do; how to be a good son. But the stupid me didn't even know how to get to Ithel's den.

Halina's memory came to mind and I wished she could help me. But getting in touch with her now was even more far-fetched than Ithel.

After a quick hesitation, I dived into the forest. I remembered what my dear aunt told me; to look for the Leader Cailyn. I didn't know how he'd react to me bothering him on the first day of me being part of his clan. But Halina said that he was kind and reliable. And right now, I didn't have a choice other than to rely on her advice.

What started with a walk, soon turned into a full sprint as I crossed the forest blindly, not knowing where to find the Leader's den.

I ran as fast as I could between trees and thick branches. I was jumping on shrubs and over the roots of large trees. Suddenly, a heavy hand grabbed my shoulder and not too kindly threw me back. I gasped and hit a tree behind me. The force of my fall made me wince and sank to my feet. When I looked up, I saw two Aellos.

One of them was a bit large with heavy muscles and weapons ornamenting his waist. His black thick hair fell around his face haphazardly, with a clumsy braid, gathering most of the hair that could bother his eyes and pulling it aside. The second one was less heavy, but taller. He didn't look any less dominating with a scowl and a menacing look that pierced through any bravery I could've gathered.

"What do you think you're doing?"

The first one spat out, but I didn't even register his words. My eyes were drawn to the second Aello's hand that was red. Blood red.

It took me a few seconds to notice that he was carrying a bag on his shoulder, most probably his kill for the day.

"HEY!!" the first one yelled at me again. He was walking towards me now and as soon as he was close, he slapped me on my left temple. I shrieked and tried to retreat, but he grabbed my hair: "I asked you a question, dunce!"

I winced and my eyes widened in fear. I opened my mouth to answer him, or at least apologize. But I felt a familiar knot settle in my throat and denying me from talking. I felt so weak and stupid.

The other Aello started talking: "You were about to step into one of his traps. Piran here just saved your leg"

I looked where I was heading, and true to his words, there was a trap set on the ground between the shrubs. My skin crawled at the image of my foot being torn by it.

"I-I-I'm sorry-"

The Aello called Piran ranked me with a disgusted look and let go of me: "You almost ruined my meal of tomorrow, you ill-fated weasel. Next time you step anywhere near my den or my hunting ground, I'll fry you alive and send your eyes to your so-called father!"

H-he would do what?? I shrank back, doing my best not to whimper or reveal how actually terrified I was. The Aello spat close to my feet and went to check on his trap. The other one gave me a sided irritated look: "Leave, kid"

His words made me scramble to my feet and take a couple of steps away. When I didn't do as told, the second Aello's hand squeezed harder on the bag he was carrying and his eyes narrowed as he turned to face me fully: "You need to start listening, kid. We won't be as kind to you as Caylin"

Piran scoffed while standing and facing me with a sneer: "An Aella with a cock. Your father should never have revealed you to the world. And to think that I actually respected Alev! He's acting like a fool by claiming you. LEAVE! The mere sight of you disgusts me"

He turned and started walking away. His friend glared at me and then went to follow him.

I stood there, speechless. The familiarity of their contempt struck me. But instead of being despised for being fatherless, it was because I found my father and he claimed me. I couldn't even begin to comprehend the reason of Aello Piran's hostility and his friend seemed to agree with him like it was the most natural reaction to my existence. I barely arrived in this territory and I just realized; I truly knew nothing about this clan.

And even though I was on this side of the island now, nothing has changed. Either among Aellas or Aellos, I was still weak and pathetic.

Things will never really change for me. The only thing I could do was to make sure Alev saw the least of my true self. That way, maybe, just maybe, he'd like me and be proud of me.

I had no time to think about myself right now. I had a father to save

"Th-the Leader!" I yelled after them, "Please, I need to find him"

The Aello carrying the kill looked past his shoulder and went to talk, but Piran interrupted him when he pushed him aside and strode towards me angrily.

His move startled me so I took a few feet back, and thank the spirits, I didn't step into his trap again.

The Aello Piran was too fast and agile. In a second, he had me against a tree. He gave me a look of disdain and showed his teeth like he was imagining killing me, and then he barked in my face: "You're like a stupid fat rabbit without a brain walking in a den full of wolves. If you were my son, I swear to the heavens, I'd be beating you senseless until you either become a real man or grow some breasts! Because right now, you are nothing but an abomination to our tribe. The Aellas have always been stupid, but this time, their idiocy is ten folds! Allowing a man to grow tall among them. Heh, Sosanbra is too young to realize the consequences of her foolishness. You will be the reason for her fall, you mark my words. Now leave my territory or I'll show you how Aellos raise their sons to be lions, not weepy girls."

I was staring at him, eyes wide in disbelief. I couldn't respond. For the life of me, I couldn't find the courage to make my tongue move and at least defend the brave Aello who was willing to give me a family.

So, just like before, just like always, I was burdened by my own silence.

Piran seemed satisfied with my shock, so he retreated and went back to where he was heading, while angrily pushing the branches away and muttering. I could feel the other Aello still staring at me. I only dared to look up when I felt him move. I didn't know if it was pity or disinterest that I saw in his eyes, but he lifted his thumb and motioned to a direction in the forest: "Go this way. Look for a small waterfall, the Leader's den is just beside it. With your slow feet, you'll get there in about an hour. If you get eaten by a wolf, no one will be there to help you."

W-wolf!

After I was alone again, it took me a moment to move from where I was against the tree. Aellos are so scary and wild. How will I live on their territory? And here I thought Essylt was the one to avoid. I guess I really know nothing about this clan after all.

Ithel... help me...

But Ithel wasn't coming to see me anymore. He said I needed to get used to my father. What he didn't know, was that I might not even get the chance to do that.

I hurried to where the Aello motioned. And just like he said, I found the small fountain and the den, with what looked like black animal paw prints on the wall beside the den. I didn't lose any more time and I immediately called for him:

"Leader! A-Aello Cailyn!!"

I called to him once more before I heard his answer: "Stop yelling!"

I froze and took a step back. The Leader came out with a scowl on his face that dissipated as soon as he saw me: "Ceri? Why are you here?"

I gulped and remembered my manners, so I kneeled and bowed low in respect. The Leader didn't seem interested in politeness, though. He grabbed my arms and pulled me up: "You're part of my clan now, Ceri. I do expect you to respect me, but you do not need to kneel every time we meet. Now tell me what brought you here, although I am proud that you could find my den. Did Alev send you?"

I tried my best to talk without crying or letting my voice tremble: "Please help me. Aello Alev is sick with a high fever. I don't know why, but he was too tired and I suggested we went to sleep to rest, but then he didn't wake up at all-"

"What? When did that happen??"

"A couple of hours ago, I-I was trying, but-"

Without another word, he went back to his den. I didn't know why he did that. For a second I thought he didn't care and didn't even want to hear me. I almost started crying when he emerged again and walked past me. I hurried to follow after him. He looked worried and angry with the way he stomped through the forest. It as a bit scary to watch.

"I told him to wait and recover before going to the Aellas' territory. I even wanted to postpone yesterday's ceremony, but he's too damn stubborn."

"I-I'm sorry"

"It's not your fault, Ceri. Alev has always been too strong headed. Now, tell me everything. I need to know exactly what happened. I brought some herbs with me, but if he's too sick, I'll have to call for help."

We hurried back to Alev's den. Luckily, the Leader knew the way very well. He was also hurrying and I needed to run after him every now and then to keep up. At least we spent much less time to get back than I did earlier to get to the Leader's den.

As soon as we emerged from the set of trees and I recognized the den, I ran inside. I wished to see Alev awake and eating some of the fruits to get some strength. My heart tugged in pain when I saw him still lying on his back just the way I left him. His body coated in sweat and his breathing was heavier.

I ran to the water and dipped my hands in it. Then I went to Alev and wiped his face. The Leader Cailyn was already crouching beside him and I had to move aside to let him check on Alev.

The Leader unwrapped Alev's left arm and revealed a nasty dark bruise. He released a growl of irritation. I, on the other hand, gasped and moved around Alev to see the wound closer: "What is that? It's... black. I-is it a curse??"

"It's a snake mark."

"Snake?"

"I thought he simply fell and hurt his arm, but it looks like he got bit. We rarely have venomous snakes on this island. So he probably got bitten on Saeva before he came back."

I was struck by the news and the horrifying look of the mark on his upper arm. It had two dark holes, from where a hollow of purple and green colored the flesh around them. I bit my lip imagining the pain he must've been through... the pain he's going through right this instant and I could do nothing about it! Hell, I was the reason why he got hurt in the first place!!

"There's no time to be sad now, Ceri. Tears won't help him. Prepare to boil these" the Leader said and pushed a handful of dried leaves in my hands. I nodded and ran to do as told.

I prepared the fire and started boiling some water. I didn't know how to prepare the medicine, so I threw the herbs in the pot and watched them. I ignored the drops that fell down my face and I hated not being able to stop them. The Leader was right. Crying would solve nothing; only disgrace my father.

Once the water started boiling, it was getting more and more colored. I used my own clothes to hold the pot and take it inside to the Leader. He was wrapping large leaves on the wound with some weird goo dripping under them.

"Give me that piece of leather", he said while motioning to a piece of deer skin at the other side of the den. I put the pot down carefully and ran to grab it for him. He took it and wrapped it around the leaves to keep them in place.

"Will he be ok?"

"I hope so. It's hard to say for now." He glanced my way and the horrified look on my face seemed to make him regret what he said, so he added quickly: "He will, Ceri. He will be better sooner than you'd think. Now, I need to go get someone, it will take me a few hours-"

"You're leaving??"

He stood and gathered some leaves that were scattered beside him before pushing them aside: "There's an Aello who's better than I am in treating illnesses. I'll go get him here to check on Alev, but he's a bit old, so it might take a while to get back. In the meantime, wait for the water you prepared to cool and try to feed it to him slowly"

"But he's sleeping, how will he feed?"

"Just open his mouth and slip some of the water in. Use a spoon and don't pour too much or you might choke him. Just get him to swallow as much as you can and it will help him fight any venom he might have."

I couldn't say anything. Leader Caylin looked at me for a moment, like he was debating if he should really leave us. Soon, he made up his mind: "I'll be back before sunset"

I just nodded and watched him leave. I pulled the pot and sat closer to Alev. I stared at the way he lay there, motionless. I couldn't believe this was our first day as father and son.

After a while, I grabbed a spoon, lifted Alev's head so it rested on my thigh, and tried to pour tiny amounts of the medicine in. I kept doing so until the sun was down, that and using water to try and ease his fever.

True to his words, Cailyn came back eventually. He brought another Aello with him who looked older than anything I've ever seen. But he had no trouble walking. He even sneered at me as soon as he came close making all the wrinkle in his face gather around his nose.

"Get out" he ordered while using his cane to push me aside, "No children allowed where I work"

Cailyn rolled his eyes and nodded my way: "I'll call you once Ery examines your father"

The old man scoffed, but said nothing more. I reluctantly left. I wanted to help or at least stay and watch, make sure...

I don't know what I could do to help. And that killed me on the inside.

I stood outside the den, watching the sky get darker. My stomach growled and I pushed it in to shut it.

I didn't want food, I didn't want sleep. I just wanted my father.

I looked at the trees and prayed

Dilara... my dear mother. Please help him. I've been good. I've been the best I could. And yet I wasn't given the proper chance to know how a life would be with him

Please let him live...

As time went by I felt my heart grow heavier. I sat with back against the wall of the den and I pulled my legs to my chest.

Just this once... If you save my father this once, I will never ever ask for anything again.

What worse could happen that losing my father, right?

So I beg of you, old spirits, I beg of you, Dilara... spare my father's life and I will never ask for anything again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

77.5K 2.1K 47
I was scared. Too scared to tell Komaeda that I loved him. But when the perfect opportunity arose, there was nothing I could do to stop myself from t...
1.5M 56.2K 30
Ashton Black. A 17 year old homophobe who's been waiting for his mate since he was 16. He's soon to be alpha and in a relationship with the most beau...
167 11 60
Before you read the description of my book, I want to give a few quick disclaimers. The first one is that most of the chapters aren't very long, so t...
80.3K 971 58
{EDITING PROCESS} *BOOK ONE OF TWO* When a high school student named Davina Smith faces her senior year after a tragedy in her family, suddenly finds...