Riddle me this, Riddle me Kat...

By SpeakNoEvil

Katrina was born and raised in Louisiana until the age of five when her parents were brutally murdered and at... More

Riddle me this, Riddle me Kat! *Complete*
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter three
chapter four
Chapter five
Chapter six
Chapter seven
Chapter eight
Chapter ten
Chapter eleven
Chapter twelve
Chapter thirteen
Chapter fourteen
Chapter fifteen
Chapter sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter eighteen
Chapter nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter twenty one
Chapter twenty-two
chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
chapter 26
Chapter 27
chapter 28
chapter 29
chapter 30
Chapter 31
chapter 32
chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35 The end!.... for now ;)

Chapter nine

5.7K 168 38
By SpeakNoEvil

--Bruce’s POV—

Katrina slammed the door shut and then it began.

“What the hell were you thinking?! Bruce! How could you let her go in the first place?!” Richard was yelling at me.

“Richard, welcome home, but I don’t have time for this. I have to get ready and I’m probably going to have to face Gotham’s most ruthless reporters today.” I sighed as I walked up the stairs to my room and passed Alfred.

“The press? Of some more of Gotham’s models?” Richard shouted back.

“Doesn’t affect you either way.” I yelled down.

“Master, not to tell you how to run your life or anything, but you should be a bit more careful.” Alfred said as he handed me a shirt.

“What are you talking about Alf?” I asked concerned.

“A shirt sir. If your goddaughter thought to look you’d have to answer for all those scars and bruises wouldn’t you?” he raised his eyebrows. I looked down and saw that he was right; I’d definitely have to be more careful next time.

“Bruce!” Richard yelled once more. I looked over the banister to see his face was full of worry.

“What?”

“We’re not going to tell her are we?”

“No, we can’t.” I whispered. She couldn’t know that we were Batman and Robin. That would put her into so much danger. I couldn’t loose her like I lost Rachel.

“And Bruce,” Richard called once more. “It’s not her fault or yours. Good luck with the reporters. Just try to keep her past out of the news as much as possible. I’m picking her up from school today okay?”

“Sure.” I nodded. “She probably won’t want to see me anyway.” I groaned. Just when I was trying to make a dent at this father stuff this happens and I’ll be pushed even farther from her. I’m just not cut out for this. It’s so much easier to be a playboy with no cares.

“Bruce, your meeting’s in twenty minutes. Go shower, you smell.” Richard teased. I smiled and walked into my room. I’m glad he’s here; he always knows what to do when it comes to Katrina. He knows how to treat her and he knows what will calm her down and make her smile. Her father had always teased me on how I’d be a horrible father and he was so glad his little girl could be independent. But now I wish that I did know what I was doing. I could barely pull off Bruce Wayne and Batman separately. Being a father is just too much.

I sighed and grabbed one of my suits for the press conference that had been called on behalf of the break out and Katrina being there. As I turned on the shower and the hot water steamed the bathroom one thought was seriously bugging me.

What if they reporters find out about Kat’s parents? Worse, what if they ask me about it.... Or her…

---Kat’s POV---

I got on the bus today and it was silent. Well, let me clarify that. When the bus pulled up it was loud like usual; when I got on it fell silent. I looked at the bus driver and she offered me a smile, which I returned. I walked to my normal seat in the back of the bus and put on my headphones. The whispered started immediately and I just shut my eyes and turned my music louder. I was listening to Love, Save the Empty by Erin McCarley. I listen to all kinds of music and this just happened to be what was next in my library. The bus pulled up to school and I never before saw the kids run off as fast as they did. I walked my way down the aisle and when I approached the bus driver she stopped me.

“Are you okay Katrina?” she asked with a soft voice. I had to take my headsets off just to hear her. How did she know me?

“Uh, yes ma’am I am.” I smiled. She smiled back and nodded her head.

“Have a nice day.”

“You too ma’am.” I nodded towards her as she pulled off before putting my headphones back in. Soon as I looked in front of me lights started to flash and voices called out my name.

“Katrina!”

“Over here!”

“Katrina! Did you plan the break out?”

“Excuse me?” I asked them all while shielding my eyes. I can get panic attacks from flashing lights; not epileptic, just not good experiences from my childhood.

“Did you plan the break out at Arkham?” this woman asked as she shoved a mic in my face and a camera.

“Um… no?” I said nervously.

“I’m Lucy Boyden from Gotham News and I’m live at Gotham High with Katrina Wayne, the girl who was at Arkham yesterday when the break out happened.” The blonde reporter from the TV stepped out in front of me and there was something scary in her eyes.

“So Katrina, how are you doing from yesterday?” she asked with one of the scariest smiles plastered on her face. That’s saying something for the fact that I’ve met the Joker up close and personal.

---Riddler’s POV---

“Let’s see if we made the news shall we?!” Joker laughed as I turned on the TV and saw Katrina’s face.

“So Katrina, how are you doing from yesterday?” this blonde woman asked her. Katrina had a look of confusion and annoyance on her face.

“Um… fine?” she answered shortly.

“KATTY!!! SHE’S ON THE BOX!” Harley yelled as she and the rest of the guys filled in the big abandoned warehouse we were inhabiting for the time being.

“Shut up Harley! We can’t hear!” Selina said annoyed.

“Hold your tongue cat.” Joker warned as Selina hissed.

“Everyone just shut up please?” I asked. “Or I’ll give a riddle.” I said with a smirk. They all shut up and watched the screen.

“So, was it your brilliant idea to break out the most notorious villains in all of Gotham?”

“No. Do I look insane?” she asked.

“Of course not sweetie.” The blonde lady purred. “I’m just doing my job, same as everyone in Gotham.”

“Yes, well my job is to not fail school.” Katrina said as she tried to get away.

“Ah, there’s a little rumor going around that you’re currently working at The Zone. Can you confirm that?”

“I’ll neither confirm nor deny it.” She answered frustrated.

“Come on Kat, why not?” the blonde pretended to pout. “Maybe you’d rather talk about your parents.

“What?” It wasn’t too noticeable but I could see her tense up.

“Poor baby, do you even remember?” The blonde tutted. Katrina looked absolutely horrified; I was now interested as was everyone else.

“What are you talking about?” Katrina hissed.

“Your parents death. Didn’t hit men in South Louisiana kill them? Poor dear doesn’t even remember.” She turned to face the camera as she gave Katrina’s bio to her entire audience. “Katrina was only about five years old when she came to Gotham as an orphan. Both her parents murdered and her house burned to the ground. He godfather and now adoptive father took her in and has raised her ever since.” The camera panned to a blank faced Katrina. I felt anger towards the reporter for now I could see that the girl we met yesterday was fighting back tears and was going to try to fight her was out of this one. I looked to see that Joker was actually frowning, as was everyone else that had met her.

“Katrina, it was rumored that there was a single box left you when your parents died. And that yesterday it was practically the same; a single box in the midst of a destroyed environment.”

“Why does it matter if it was?” she hissed.

“Katrina! Kat—holy crap.” The camera along with Katrina turned to see a tall boy with brown hair approaching and looking rather mad.

“What do you people want? This is a closed campus and classes have started.” He said in an intimidating voice.

“Oh, who’s the cutie?” Selina purred.

“Shh!” the entire room said causing her to growl a bit.

“And who are you?” the reporter asked aggravated.

“I’m Austin, her boyfriend.” He said with a frown as he wrapped his arms around her protectively. My scowl deepened. A boyfriend? Well it’s not like she isn’t attractive… wait why do I care. I looked at Joker and Harvey to see them frowning more too.

“A boyfriend. How… scandalous.” The blonde smirked.

“Nothing scandalous at all.” Austin said calmly. “Just two extremely good friend who have tried to become closer. That’s all and thank you for your time but Katrina has to go to class now.” And with that he took her away from the reporter and through the doors of the school.

“Well that’s all for right now. That was Katrina Wayne and I’m Lucy Boyden. Thank you for watching Gotham News.”

“Wait!!!!!!” Harvey yelled as he jumped up to grab the remote.

“The hell?” Ivy glared.

“Gotta… Rewind…” he muttered as he fumbled with the DVR remote. He backed it up, and played three seconds before pausing it.

“That was Katrina Wayne.” And the screen froze, with the blonde’s face staring at us while Katrina’s retreating figure was in the top right corner.

I smiled as a thought popped into my head. The riddle I told her, I hopped she figured it out. Of course she would, she’s bright; she’ll have it.

“Who else is thinking what I’m thinking?” Harvey smirked. Joker laughed, as did I.

“Riddle me this riddle me that; where in the world does Katrina live at?” I finished and we all laughed.

“Now don’t hurt or scare the poor child.” Harley frowned.

“Of course not Harley.” Joker said as he smiled at her.

“No kidnapping her.” Ivy said glaring at me and I just rolled my eyes.

“No attacking anyone or getting seen.” Catwoman told Harvey.

“Of course not.” All of us responded.

“Good.” The girls all said.

“I need to go get ready. I have a date tonight!” I said as I walked out of the large room and into mine. I’m too smart to feel what I’m feeling. Especially since she’s a child and has someone in her life already, but I can’t help myself. She’s intriguing and I just can’t help but be attracted to her. It’s just a phase and I’ll get over it. Yes, that’s the sensible thing… ha-ha sensible… ha-ha.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

476K 12.9K 25
Bruce gets a wake up call when Alfred 'accidently' signs him up for foster care. Now Bruce must take care of a teenage girl named Kaine, while still...
95.6K 1.8K 54
Angel Mattews. A 16 year old teen orphan with depression and anxiety. Her mother and her step dad had died in a car accident when she was 5. Her gran...
372K 11.1K 65
A girl who was trained by the League of Assassins and a boy trained by the legendary Batman. When a girl by the name 'Nightingale' shows up in Gotham...
1.1K 21 30
Takes place in the Justice League: War/Son of Batman movieverse, post the Justice League vs. Teen Titans, and pre-Justice League Dark. Selina Kyle (C...