The Roaming Archer (NaNoWrimo...

By tg7angel

There was a kingdom, A kingdom full of life. But that was before. Fatenturia, a kingdom once filled with ho... More

Copyright Page
When I Was Born...
Nothing To Lose Anymore...
Friends and Fresh Air
Alone In The Woods
Bleeding Hands
We Need Leaders
Caught Red Handed
The Roamers
The Lion's Mouth
Far For The First Time
Attack In Admire
Book Pages
Next Thing
A Lone Prince
New Duty
Dancing Candle
Pete's Late Journal
Plans
A Tragic Dream
The Meeting Room
Gut's To Ask
Not Yet Home
Prince Abason
Night Dreamire
Search Out!
Watched
The Race Began
Cupid Arrows
Mistery Eyes
The Picture
A New Begin Training
The Meeting With Abason
Rush Tired
What You Get
The Impossible
Possible
The Letters
Behind The Oak Door
The Job
Wrong Message
Questions
A Long Night
A Day
Not Adding Up
Unraveling
The Very Thing
Cross Roads
Recover
Back
Author Note: The Next Book

Growing Up

8.3K 438 102
By tg7angel

More music from Jo Blankenburg on the right :)

~~~~~~

Every day, I grew. It wasn't long before I became 5 years old. The age acquired for a kid to learn warfare and survival at the NewBegin School.

The school caught my attention for a couple of years now up this time. I've passed the school so many times when I was 3 and up. So many times, that I knew where to peek and where not to. I knew the path, it's details, and it's doors.

Occasionally, I'd peek through those open windows during the summer and lean my head in on the 4 year old wooden logs that framed them.

Memories of excitement to enter in and join filled my mind as I skipped through the path that led to the school. The wafting scent of pine in the air, the maple green leaves flapping in a soothing breeze, and the crunching of twigs beneath my feet reminded me that it wasn't long ago when my interests in the area begun.

The art of caring.
And
The art of daring.

The excitement brewed as I knew those doors were very close. I stopped skipping and slowed down.

This is it.

Anticipation filled my insides and entered in.

~~~~~

The school taught how to defend yourself and learn about the past of Fatenturia, the history of the King and Queen, and the history of those who died. NewBegin respected them very much. The history of Fatenturia wasn't all filled with sadness, however.

A small portion of our studies included the princess.

It mentioned that she is alive, but hidden in secret for safety. I contemplated how the princess must have lost so much when the teacher began explaining the tragedies that filled that war, but my thoughts soon wondered to the grateful heart within me that I am alive and so are my family. I loved it here in the woods, my mom and dad were very happy, and I was content with whatever I had. I felt a pang in my soul for the princess as I listened, although I never met her before.

I'm pretty sure she's very closely guarded. I concluded. She's probably living with the Fate Few at the big, huge tree house.

The Fate's tree house were on serious no-can-do go here policy. Rarely, would they let someone in. On one condition, they actually let the kids in.

I was one of those kids.

At first, I thought I was special, but I was being too flattered. I know it has to do with the concealment of the princess's leaving and entering. I mean, it's the perfect diversion! Who knows? She could be pretending to be one of my classmates...

I talked to the Fate Few, but when I could, I would occasionally sneak in a request if I may see the princess. But no! They would just simply tell me to scurry away and play with my friends.

Then they would just smile, pat my head, and expect me to go and play.

I would then think how rude of them to treat me like a little child. But it was true, I was a child.

But I always wanted to meet the princess, but no one is allowed to. No one.

I don't get it though. How is she supposed to go play?

I twirled a strand of my black hair as I began to think.

I think she has a secret room to stay in and teachers come in to teach her or something. I heard stories that she disguises herself when she goes out and she can't really make close friends...but what if she's in this room right now!

I glanced around the room. Nah...she probably couldn't stand his type of thing. Or...maybe she likes it. She probably has to protect herself very well if she's in so much danger.

I do know a couple things about her. I would regularly ask questions about her from the Fate Few.

She must feel very lonely. I have a mom and dad, and I'm glad I do. Their the best! They treat me as if I were a princess. It's sad that the princess can't be treated by her mommy and daddy as a princess. If she went to the school, I would be her friend. Sadly though, I don't know who she is. As a matter of fact, I didn't even know how she looked like. No one does. No one really knows her.

Anyways about the school, it's my first time there. I couldn't hold in all the excitement when the Fate Few walked me to the school. I ran so fast they could't catch up with me.

Behind me they were making remarks like "Wait up, Angel!" or "Slow down a little! You might come flying of the ground!"

Of course they were exaggerating, but I was a pretty fast runner. I actually ran faster than the Fate Few. I guess I was more used to the forest terrain than them. I did have the advantage of growing up in the area, but I knew the place as long as they did, and half the time I crawled and stayed at home.

The Fate Few were actually the defense, attacking, and weapon instructors in New Begin, but they only train the best. The teachers were trained by them, but I heard the teachers were nothing compared to The Fates. I tried asking them if they could train me, but they said that they'll see. I'm sure that was just to stall me until I forgot I asked. They probably didn't want me to get to much involved with warfare since I was a little girl. The girls usually did the easier stuff when it came to warfare, but I was determined to learn as much as possible. Possibly, if I got good enough, I'd see the princess.

~~~~~

History of Fatenturia and New Begin.

The class easiest to me. It's a short class because they lost the books in Fatenturia during the war. Plus it was easy cause I already grasped the whole story and memorized it by heart. My mom and dad told me the stories plenty of times before I went to bed. People from the war roamed the streets everyday, always ready to tell their point of view in the war.

The time zoomed in the class, and then we had a question time. I raised my hand for all the questions and got them right. I knew them so much that they asked for someone else to answer the questions. I didn't quite understand why it was so hard to know your history. People died for this and we can't even scrape the surface.

After that we went outside to get a feel for the weapons. Supervised, we tried to find our place in warfare and the skills that fit us well. They showed us how to hold a weapon properly with wooden swords, wooden axes, fake bows and arrows, and smoothed end spears. During their few demonstrations, I managed alone how to apply them. They were impressed at how naturally I held them, but to me it was because of my observations of the Fate few when they practiced.

I already had the passion for all of it. I had my own fake sword and a bow and arrow that I made myself. The bow and arrow had the best appeal to me though. It was as if I were holding a musical instrument ready to be played much like a harp. I was always fascinated with it ever since I've seen some if the skills and practices Archie did.

Soon, showed us a couple of easy maneuvers and we got a little practice with them. I tried them all, and they were all as if the armament were a part of me. I casually used them as though I used them before.

~~~~~

There I was, 3'5 feet tall and 15 inches wide, a strong body in a little girls build, and more the love, passion, and determination any other kid could have. I was young, fit, adventurous, and fast.

"Okay everyone, we are gonna learn basic defense maneuvers..."

I looked around the room and the teachers voice faded away. Her mouth lost my attention because of where I was. My eyes began to wander helplessly enjoying where I had come. I saw beige colored sacs of hay or dried corn hanging by a metal chain from the right corner of the training room, swinging everytime the older kids gave it a punch in the stomach. The training mat was a long flat cushion, tan colored, filled with cotton to the point where it left no parts to where one could sink and feel the hard floor. The punching bags swinged aimlessly and people were yelling battle cries and proverbs.

"Hey, you."

"Huh? What?" I felt someone tap my back.

"Hey, you okay?"

I turned around and saw a boy, my age and dark brown black hair, then I saw a group of kids also my age standing and looking at me.

"Wha..?"

"Pay attention. The teacher will catch you if you don't stand up."

"Who are you talking to Neil? You know we should pay attention in class." Another voice entered my ears.

I looked at the group of kids and the teacher was heading towards where I was. Behind the group. While I was getting up I saw the teacher look at me.

Well at least I know a name now..Neil..

"What are you still doing sitting down on the floor young lady?"

"Ummm..."

Neil looked at me and turned to the teacher.

"She tripped ma'am, I was trying to help her up."

"Okay, then don't chit chat and help her up already. This is the first day of
school for all of you and it is very important."

I smiled at Neil and he smiled back. Neil held his arm out to me and gave me a hand.

"Come on, we have to catch up to the rest of the group."

"Thanks."

"No problem."

I took his hand and he pulled me up. I was thinking I just made a new friend. I didn't care much if he was a boy and if he had cooties. I was tomboy myself. I did act girly around everyone else though..it was like the whole tree village expected me to act like a girl. Well, I guess it was expected for every girl, but that wouldn't stop me from being Neil's friend.

"No problem. Just pay attention okay? You do not want to ruin your first day of school. My brother says their strict because of the war we lost in Fatenturia."

"Yea, you're right. I just got caught up with all the excitement for being here.."

"Don't worry it isn't your fault. We all make mistakes, just don't do it again."

"Okay I won't." then I smiled again. I guess I just couldn't help it. Inside I knew from the start, we would be very good friends.

During class I couldn't help but notice that Neil kept talking and hanging out with a short blonde brunette haired boy. I was pretty sure they knew each other because they constantly stood next to each other talking about the latest weapons of warfare and different ways to confront an enemy.

I soon found out that the boy with dirt brown pants and gray mud plastered shirt was named Peter. By what Neil and Peter talks about half the time when we were learning demonstrations during class, I implied that both boys were obsessed or captivated with warfare and ways of violence. Now I know many would think that normally a girl would think that what they were talking about is absurd, but as I said in the beginning it was in my best interests. Of course, I wasn't stupid that violence had boundaries such as where, when, and how to use it.

It had made me more jealous that I was more just learning with the class than learning with the type of people and environment that would most likely get into my best potential. Soo..with that thought in my mind, my brain in my little head started to work. Thinking of ways to somehow get myself back with Neil and his white friend was on the top of my list as of the moment.

At first I did not like the fact that Neil was with this "Pete." I thought up in my mind what was my chances of being Neil's best friend. I frowned. It probably has gone to 7 out of 10 to 5 out of 10. Honestly, I didn't really want to be stuck with some of the griping and complaining girls. I mean it's okay...but I figured that soon dresses and hair styles would pull me down.

Motivated, my mind began to work.

For a little girl my mind seemed to work like a mischievous criminal genius which, of course, it was never thought to be in an Angel like me. But I was determined, determined to the point of which if one were to try to stop me in any way possible, it was impossible. You just couldn't stop me. The only thing that would, would be is myself.

"Okay children, we are gonna have teams and play a game of army! You will choose your team players wisely. I will call out the names for the captains! Tyler,..Haily,..Yan,..Neil."

Right when they said Neil out loud, I knew what to do.

I headed up to the two boys, boldly with full confidence in what I was gonna do.

"Hi Neil."

Obviously, I could tell Neil already had Peter in mind for his team. There were 12 people in our class and four captains. I just had to get myself into Neil's team.

"Whoever's team wins this game of Army gets a weapon of their choice to keep as a prize!"

Neil, Peter, and me turned our heads and gave full attention to what the trainer had to say. After he announced the prize, there was no way I would lose this! I wanted a new real bow and arrow desperately. By the look I saw on Neil and Peter, I felt they wanted a real weapon too.

However, the prize were to be given to our parents for safekeeping. Until it was understood that we all could manage a weapon properly.

Here's how you play the game. We used our skills to fight the other team using fake weapons that would cause minimal harm as possible and we wore light weight chain armor and a stuffed hay shirt over to keep it soft.

The captains got to watch the class all do a representation of what they can do individually first.

I knew this is where I needed to convince Neil to join his group.

One by one, after another, it was getting closer to my turn to show my stuff.

Remember this was our first day of school. Pretty much my whole class either did what was expected and okay, or badly.
But I knew from the moment I saw him, Peter had to be really good.

He used a spear.

He showed off his cunning moves as if he rehearsed them a billion times to the point it was perfect that he knew entirely he couldn't make one mistake.

He flung it in the air like those girls who flung a baton in the air and snatched it in mid-flight as if he were a snake making its swift move to take its bite. After that he did moves I don't think I've seen before, a style of martial arts of his own.

To be honest with you, I was really quite impressed. I also wanted to learn what he did. My eyes twinkled at the excitement. These are the type of guys I want to be around with.

Everyone "Oohed" and "Awed" at every counteract he had with his spear from his simple forms and to his flips and stunts.

When the cheering died down, the teacher turned her head towards me. Surely I was next. But I wouldn't be worried, it was perfect! I can show Neil how good I was right after Peter.

"Angel, it's your turn."

Suddenly, I saw head after head just look at me with their magnifying eyes.

This was it.

It was soo quiet that you could hear everyone breathe.

It kinda struck me though. Everyone's attention to me was like that of a soldiers. As someone would most likely describe, no one could hear a pin drop. Literally.

I wouldn't let that affect my nerves though.

I just smiled confidently.

~~~~~

Time to show my stuff.

I went over to the table with armaments and weapons of all sorts glimmering and glinting the suns rays towards me. I touched the weapons with my little pink fingers. My eyes wandered aimlessly and somewhat picky like that of a girl trying to pick clothes. I was not the fashionative type, although I was a girl. But this...this was fashion. Knives, axes, spears, and swords eagerly waited for my approach to feel and try their beauty. No matter how much those things catch my attention, I know that my favorite was the bow and arrow. I walked over closer to the polished and smoothed wooden bows next to the sword. Bows and arrows were usually not thought of something as majestic like that of a sword, nor was it thought to be as strong as the axe. But the bow had something I loved. The way I could flow, with a rhythm and smoothness that only a bow and arrow could place in me.

I touched the bow gently, lightly feeling the smoothed curves of the artifact. I felt the feathers of arrows slightly tingling the senses of my fingers. I took a breath. My eyes were caught on this armament as if I were in love to such. I took it up to myself, and the wind blew into the window waving the hair hanging close to my face. Everything about it felt right. Everything.

I looked toward my teacher and smiled as if to tell her 'I choose this.' She smiled back, and said "A different choice, but also a good choice." I glanced towards my class, all toddlers like me, fidgeted and shifted foot to foot in impatience to get their turn.

I walked over to the target field, the class hushed, and I stood to set my aim.

I pulled my arrows out of my back, flung it out without effort, and positioned it straight in the center of my bow. I pulled the arrow back and aimed. I took two long deep breaths. I winked my right eye and kept it shut. The target became sharp clear. I held the arrow with my two little fingers and released.

Swoosh! It blazed through the air. Ten feet, Twenty feet, and Thirty feet...

Bullseye!

I turned over to look at my classmates, some of which jumped up and down with excitement, and some with open mouths. I looked toward Neil, and a smile crept on his face when his eyes met mine. I smiled back with the ever cheerful smile a kid like me could.

I knew from there, he would pick me.

I didn't have to do amazing moves. I didn't have to be muscular like Pete was. I didn't need to show all my stuff that I learned by watching the Fate Few.

He already wanted me in his team.

He was already my friend. I know, he will be my friend.

I don't have to show my stuff anymore.

He already accepted me.

~~~~~

Every school day, the Fate Few became more and more impressed. When I learn something new, it stuck to me in a way that I were already trained. But the best weapon I was able to use was the bow and arrow.

It was my favorite.

I would get one bulls eye after another. I shot the arrows with a smooth rhythmic pattern, and I could shoot dead center of a target while I am in swift movement.

I have made friends at the school, and we wanted to be just like the Fate Few. We loved adventure so sometimes we would all roam around the tree house village and pretend we were in combat. Sometimes we would go out and wander farther from the village.

Ever since, my friends and I were known as, The Roamers

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

120 1 69
WARNING ‼️ This book will have talks/chapters that is about mental health, of both mental abuse and physical abuse, and emotional abuse as well. Blo...
88 0 50
"I just wanted to tell you that I understand your sacrifice to be here." I lower my eyes for a moment, pushing myself to stand up. Closing the space...
2.7K 127 10
"What the hell are you so scared of, Ishita? Why can't you love me back?" His voice boomed in the room with an echo. "I'm afraid of falling in love w...
57 6 49
Summary: Magic! Monsters! Spirits! Bandits! Warlords! Odd couple friendships! Falcon mascot! The Empire broke the world when they betrayed the elemen...