Moonmount Castle - LGBT, manX...

By LauraWarby

(New Edited and Revised Version) On his first day working at Moonmount Castle, Coda meets his Master's son an... More

Please Note:-
Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32

Quick Guide to Medieval Terms

1.2K 23 0
By LauraWarby

Money

A list of common denominations, and other names they are known by.

Pound (Sovereign) = 20 Shillings

Mark = 13 Shillings and 4 Pennies

Angel (Half-Pound) = 10 Shillings

Crown = 5 Shillings

Half-crown = 2 Shillings and 6 Pennies

Shilling = 12 Pennies

Sixpence = 6 Pennies

Groat = 4 Pennies

Tuppence (Ha'-penny) = 2 Pennies

Penny = 4 Farthings

Farthing = ¼ Penny

Weights

A list of common weights.

Pound = 16 Ounces

Stone = 14 Pounds

Hundredweight = 112 Pounds

Ton = 20 Hundredweights

Measurements

A list of common measurements.

Quart = 2 Pints

Pottle = 2 Quarts

Gallon = 2 Pottles

Barrel = 30 Gallons

Cask (Pipe) = 125 Gallons

Tun = 250 Gallons

Lengths

A list of common measuring lengths.

Inch = 2.5 Centimetres

Foot = 12 Inches (0.30 Metres)

Yard = 3 Feet (0.9 Metres)

Metre = 100 Centimetres

Mile = 5280 Feet (1609 Metres)

League = 3 Miles

Fathom = 2 Yards

Types of Horse

A brief outline of the type of work each horse would be expected to perform, and the average cost of that type of horse.

Destrier – these were well-bred, highly trained stallions. They were used in war, or sometimes for tournaments, as they were very strong, fast and agile for their great size. They were considered specialist mounts, and were both expensive and uncommon (The equivalent of the modern Dressage horse) (20-40 Pounds).

Palfrey – these were well-bred horses used for general riding, hunting and travelling in the upper-classes. They were occasionally used in warfare; similar to the Destrier, they could be very expensive (Also called Jennets, when used by Ladies) (10-20 Pounds).

Courser – these were a general cavalry warhorse; the most common type of horse used in medieval warfare. They were cheaper than Destriers and Palfrey's – due to their being less-highly trained – and were able to travel great distances at steady speed (5-10 Pounds).

Rouncy – these were general-purpose horses, usually used for general riding and hunting in the lower-classes. They could also be used as pack horses, but not as cart horses. These horses could cover ground at speed, and were sometimes trained for swift pursuits in battle. (Also called Hackney's) (1-5 Pounds).

Draught – these were heavy-set horses that were mostly used to pull carts, ploughs or heavy weaponry in battle. They were most commonly used by labourers for their working abilities, but were sometimes found in the stables of the upper-classes to pull heavier carriages (10 Shillings-1 Pound).

Jobs/Professions

A brief outline of the common types of work, both in medieval household and in medieval settlements, and some of the wages they would receive.

King – the ruler of the land, the King (or Queen) protected his kingdom from invasion, gifted areas of land to Lords and settled disputes over land ownership, taxes, etc. (30,000 Pounds per annum).

Lord – the Lord was the administrator of an area of land within the kingdom. He ensured the land was profitable, and that law and order was kept. He paid taxes to the King, and sent soldiers, horses and weaponry during times of warfare (200-10,000 Pounds per annum).

Lady – the Lady was the wife of the Lord. Usually without an occupation, the Lady would spend her time painting, playing music, reading, sewing or sometimes hunting. She also helped with the running of the household; maids would discuss matters of wardrobe or linen with her, for example.

Knight – the Knight protected and served his King or Lord. He acted as both a highly-trained personal bodyguard, and as a trained soldier during warfare. He also helped to train his Squire and Page (Wealthy Knights may have more than one Squire or Page), so that they could become Knights themselves (4 Shillings per day).

Squire – the Squire was a man in the second stage of training to become a Knight (having been elevated from the position of Page). He assisted his Knight by cleaning armour and weaponry, guarding prisoners the Knight captured, dressing the Knight in his armour, carrying the Knight's flag and caring for the Knight's horses (1 Shilling per day).

Page – the Page was a man in the first stage of training to become a Knight. He was responsible for sending messages (mostly within the Knights own household, or the household of the Lord the Knight served) and performing menial tasks for both the Squire and the Knight (2 Farthings per day).

The Household Guard – the Guard of a household could be made up of separate Day and Night patrols, so that the household was always guarded. Members of the Guard could be Knights, Squires, Pages or hired mercenaries. The Porter was also a member of the Guard; he was in charge of monitoring who entered and exited the lands or household premises of the Lord or King (6 Pennies per day).

Jobs Inside a Castle/House:-

Butler – the Butler was in charge of the beer and wine cellars in large medieval houses.

Reeve – the Reeve of a castle or medieval house was in charge of communications between the upper- and lower-classes. He was also in charge of organising any construction that took place on the grounds belonging to a castle, and obtaining the services of any lower-class workers that would be required, e.g. stonemasons, carpenters, labourers, etc. (Sometimes called Bailiff).

Seneschal – the Seneschal was in charge of domestic arrangements, and the administration of the servants (Also called Steward).

Chaplain – the Chaplain was responsible for all religious matters in a castle or medieval house. He held prayer services, and could also be consulted on matters such as annulments of marriage in the lower-classes (higher-classes would consult the King) (3 Pennies per day).

Footman – the Footman was found only in the grandest houses during the Middle Ages, and was often prized for his good looks; a handsome footman was seen as a reflection of the wealth of the household he served. The footman served meals at grand dinners, opened and closed doors, announced guests and moved furniture or luggage.

Head Cook – the Head Cook was in charge of the kitchens, and prepared most of the food (1 Penny per day).

Preparer – the Preparer helped the Head Cook to prepare food in the kitchens (2 Farthings per day).

Server – the Server arranged food on platters before it was taken up to the dining room (2 Farthings per day).

Scullion – the lowest ranking servant in the kitchens, the Scullion did menial jobs such as cleaning dishes, sharpening knives and cleaning the kitchens before and after food preparation (1 Farthing per day).

Clerk – the Clerk was the medieval equivalent of a modern-day secretary. The Clerk could read and write (skills uncommon in many of the lower-classes during the Middle Ages), and sometimes helped to organise the monetary accounts of the household.

Maid – the Maid was a female servant that helped with the running of the household. There were several types of maid, including below-stairs maids (did a lot of the cleaning), chambermaids (cleaned and organised the rooms of the nobles and their guests) and ladies' maids (cared for the Ladies day-to-day, mended clothing, packed luggage for journeys, etc.)

Messenger – the Messenger took written or verbal messages from the sender to the recipient. He was sometimes used within the household, but was more often sent to another household, area of land, or even kingdom, to deliver his message (Messages send within a household were often delivered by a Page) (1 Penny per day).

Ewerer – the Ewerer transported heated up to the garderobe (washing room), and sometimes helped with the gathering and washing of dirty linens.

Lamplighter – the Lamplighter was responsible for lighting fires, torches and candles. In the Middle Ages, floors covered with reeds or straw were common, so lighting had to be done carefully to ensure the castle or house didn't burn down.

Jobs in the Grounds of a Castle/House:-

Master of the Horse – the Master of the Horse was responsible for overseeing anything regarding the stables and the horses of a household; from buying new carriages or horses, to construction on the stable buildings, the Master of the Horse was consulted.

Stablemaster – the Stablemaster was responsible for ensuring that the day-to-day care of the horses of the household was of a high standard. He inspected the stables and monitored the work of the grooms to make sure that the horses were being properly cared for.

Marshal – the Marshal was responsible for the transportation of the household. He ensured carriages and carts were kept in good working order, and ensured that the harnesses were kept clean and ready for use.

Teamster – the Teamster was in charge of any teams of horses owned by a household. He would be responsible for selecting horses that worked well together, and ensuring that they were properly broken-in and trained for their work.

Coachman – the Coachman drove carriages or carts for the upper-classes. In smaller households, he would double-up as a groom, but in grander houses, his would be considered a specialty.

Piquer – the Piquer was a man who travelled ahead of a carriage to clear the way for the carriage to pass (1 Penny per day).

Outrider – the Outrider rode on horseback beside the carriage of an upper-class traveller (usually one on either side of the carriage) (1 Penny per day).

Groom – the Groom was responsible for the day-to-day care of the horses in a household. Large households would have several grooms (Sometimes called Ostler) (1 Penny per day).

Master of the Hunt – the Master of the Hunt was responsible for ensuring that the hunting animals (usually hounds and birds of prey) were being cared for, and that they were ready to go hunting whenever the household wanted them. He would usually accompany the household on the hunt.

Houndsman – the Houndsman was responsible for the day-to-day care of the hunting hounds. He would prepare the hounds before a hunting expedition, and often accompany the hunt, sometimes working as a Beater.

Beater – the Beater travelled ahead of the hunting party, scaring prey animals out of the undergrowth for the party to pursue. He travelled on foot, while the hunting party rode (1 Penny per day).

Hayward – the Hayward was responsible for the upkeep of fences and hedgerows on lands belonging to the Lord or the King. He ensured that livestock could not get into crop fields and destroy the harvest.

Common Occupations:-

Apothecary – the Apothecary would cultivate and harvest plants that had medicinal properties. He was often used as a Physician by the lower-classes, and would mix and sell his own cures and tinctures.

Blacksmith – the Blacksmith made tools or equipment from iron. Commonly in the Middle Ages, he would make horse shoes, basic swords and farm equipment such as ploughs. Good quality military equipment was usually made by highly-skilled Armourers. Some grander households would have a blacksmith of their own on their land; usually, though, the blacksmith had his forge in a town or village.

Butcher – the Butcher killed and prepared animals for eating; he readied cuts of meat, as well as foodstuffs such as sausages. This work would sometimes be done by the Head Cook in larger households.

Candlemaker – the Candlemaker would shape and sell his own candles; usually, he kept bees – or knew where to find bee hives – in order to keep a good supply of wax.

Carpenter – the Carpenter made wooden tools, furniture, equipment or instruments, as well as the wooden frame structures found in medieval houses. They would obtain their own wood, carve it and shape it, and sell it themselves (3 Pennies per day).

Cobbler – the Cobbler would make new shoes, and repair shoes. They rarely had their own shops; instead, they travelled the kingdom looking for work. A Cordwainer was more likely to own a shop in a town or city, and worked with finer, softer leather items, such as fine shoes, tunics or overcoats.

Executioner – the Executioner was responsible for the execution of prisoners. Usually, the Executioner would travel around the countryside looking for work, but some grander households, which were responsible for law and order of a large area, would keep their own executioner.

Farmer – the Farmer would be responsible for the cultivation of an area of land. Most worked for a Lord or for the King, but some became wealthy enough to purchase their own land. He either kept livestock, and sold their products, or grew crops, and made goods such as flour, to sell.

Horse courser – the Horse courser was a man who made a living buying and selling horses for work. Sometimes, he would breed his own horses to sell, but he more often made his living by travelling to fairs to buy and sell horses.

Physician – the Physician was more commonly used by the upper-classes. He would perform surgeries and examinations, as well as providing medicines, and advising on cleanliness. An Animal Physician was the equivalent of the modern-day vet.

Stonemason – the Stonemason was a highly-skilled labourer that belonged to a Guild. They would obtain and shape stone for building with, and occasionally make decorative items such as columns and statues. Some of their finest work can still be seen today in castles and cathedrals (4 Pennies per day).

Tavern Owner – the tavern was a common gathering place for the lower-classes in the Middle Ages. The Tavern Owner sometimes brewed his own ales, and sold both ale and food to his patrons. Larger taverns might keep rooms for travellers to hire out on a nightly-basis, and some might have stables for horses to be kept overnight.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

232 39 12
William and Patrick fought in the trenches of World War I. During their years of suffering, they found comfort and love in each other's arms. But whe...
388 6 96
It's 1965, love is in the air, only it's illegal, follow the lives of two men whose world's collide as they struggle with their sexuality, poverty, a...
162 22 8
Shortly after arriving to the states Pyru a young prince encounters two boys Danny and Parker. swept up into an act of sex he normally would never ha...
5.4K 185 9
After meeting in a smoky speak-easy during prohibition, two lonely strangers throw caution to the wind, starting a sudden and steamy love affair. Bu...