24

Coda

I closed the front door of the cottage as Cassius disappeared back down the road, before turning and smiling at Lodareth.

"I think he was taken with Sunnia."

He grinned.

"I think she was taken with him."

I turned and quickly made up a fire; the cottage soon warmed, taking the winter chill from the air.

Lodareth stepped up behind me and wrapped his arms about my waist, drawing me back against his body.

He lightly kissed the back of my neck.

"How long are you going to stay?" I asked him.

"Well, I was hoping all night..." He wiggled his eyebrows at me.

I laughed and flicked the tip of his nose affectionately.

"I meant, how-?"

"I know." He smiled at me. "I suppose a month or so. My father will need me back at Moonmount, now that I'm..."

"In charge?" I smiled.

"Yes..." Lodareth sighed. "And Father won't want me to be away from the castle for too long."

"Well, we'd better make the most of the time we have, then."

I settled down at the table beside the fire and grinned at Lodareth.

"Didn't you mention something about presents?" I asked curiously.

He laughed and bent to kiss my forehead affectionately.

"You're right, I did."

He rummaged in the trunk at the back of the cottage for a moment, before bringing several wrapped parcels over and placing them on the table in front of me.

"Which one can I open first?" I asked, gazing at them eagerly.

I'd never had so many presents given to me before.

"Any one you like." Lodareth grinned at my obvious excitement, and sat back in the seat opposite me to watch me open his gifts.

I chose the largest parcel first, and tore open the paper; I gasped as I took out a warm winter overcoat. Made from soft, supple black leather, lined with brushed sheep fleece and with a lined hood that would come up and over my head to protect me from the wind, the overcoat fell half-way down my thighs and reached just over my wrists, to keep me cosy and warm as I worked outside.

"My mother always used to say that a good overcoat was the most important item in a wardrobe," Lodareth told me.

"It's so warm," I said. "It must have cost-"

"Oh, don't start that again," Lodareth said. "It doesn't matter what is cost. As long as you like it, and it keeps you warm, then what does the cost matter?"

"Alright," I said placidly.

I reached for another package, a very small one, and opened it to find a golden ring inside. Turning it over in my hand, I saw a thin circular disc was embossed with a horse head. Beneath the head were a 'C' and a 'D', intertwined; my initials.

"I thought you might like a signet ring," Lodareth said. "If you're going to be sending letters, they should have a proper seal on them. And as you're in the horse business now..."

"It was a really good idea. Thank you."

I slid the ring onto the second ringer of my right hand and admired it for a moment.