20

Lodareth

It was another seven weeks before a letter from Coda arrived for me.

I stared blankly at the parchment for a moment, wondering about the red wax seal with a wonky letter carved into it, before realising the groove was a rough 'C'.

Relief flooded through me at finally having heard from him. I took the letter, whistled for Jakke and sped down to the gardens, where I found a nice, secluded patch beneath the wide boughs of an old beech tree to read.

My dearest Lodareth,

My journey south has been long, but safe. I know you will worry about me, so let me tell you now that I've entered King Ranald's kingdom safely.

I've tonight come to a village called Idaiz Pass.

It's a two day ride from the border, and lies in a valley between three mountains. It's the most beautiful place I think I've ever visited. There are little farms all around, and I've already found a little tavern and the blacksmith's forge.

I've spoken to one of the serving girls at the tavern, Sunnia, and she's told me about an empty cottage in the village. I'm planning to go and speak to the Lord of the village, Lord Marnes, and ask about settling in the cottage.

I'll send you word again when I know what's happening; I'll either stay in Idaiz Pass, or I'll go to another village, until I can find somewhere to live.

I want to thank you again for your generosity; I waited until I was far away from Moonmount before looking in the coin purse you gave me.

If I am able to settle here, it's because your kindness had allowed me to do so. I should ordinarily never be able to afford to settle in a village. I would normally be forced to look for work with another Lord.

I am hoping to buy some more horses, and go into business as a courser. I'm looked around the cottage tonight, and there are stables built behind it, as well as large pastures.

Tell Cassius I'm okay. I hope he and Beth are working through what happened together. I'd love for him to come and visit me when I'm settled, but I know that isn't an option, so tell him to hurry up with learning to write so he can send me letters.

I think I'll enjoy living here; I hope I can settle permanently.

I'll write again soon, hopefully with news that I'm staying in Idaiz Pass. Wait until you hear from me again before you write back. I don't want to miss hearing from you.

Your Faithful Servant

I read the letter twice through, before letting out a sigh of relief.

All of the tension from the days since Coda had left Moonmount – all of my fears that he had been attacked or injured on his journey – were finally leaving me with the arrival of his letter.

My father's patrols had all returned, and none of them had been able to find any sign of Coda.

I had been pleased to hear that most of the men had journeyed northwards for almost a week before doubling back and riding south, meaning Coda had been given an extra twelve days to get as far away from Moonmount as he could.

I clutched the letter tightly for a moment, before getting to my feet and wandering towards the stables with Jakke.

Cassius and three other grooms were busy brining horses in for the evening when I entered the stableyard.

Thoma and Matthias were sat on a bench, pouring over a large piece of parchment.

"Cassius," I called for him and he scurried across to me, dusting his hands off.