1

Three Years Before

Coda

A rough hand on my shoulder shook me awake, long before I felt ready to rise.

I groaned softly and pushed the hand away; it returned a moment later, shaking me harder, insisting that I rose.

I opened my eyes, and saw my bed-fellow bent over me.

I had arrived late last evening, and he had been asleep when I had finally retired for the night.

His dark brown eyes appraised me approvingly as I sat up, rubbing my eyes.

"You're Coda?"

He was shorter than myself, but had broad shoulders and rough hands; a sign of hard toil from a young age.

"Yes."

"I'm Cassius. Dress quickly. We are expected in the stableyard in half an hour."

"My clothes?" I asked, sliding out of bed, standing up, and stretching my aching shoulders. "I arrived late. The Master of the Horse said my livery would be here when I woke up."

"I can fetch it for you. It should have been brought down from the castle last night. Wash while I'm gone."

He left the room before I could utter another word.

I took the opportunity in Cassius' absence to look around my new quarters.

The grooms were housed directly above the stables; small lodgings for two grooms to share were built above each of the stalls below, and a small dining hall was built at the far end of the block.

A small dresser beside the wooden door stored both my own and Cassius' livery; our boots were lined up on the other side of the door. A roughly-hewn clay bowl and jug stood atop the dresser, containing cold washing water. Two rough washcloths were folded neatly beside the bowl.

The two wooden beds were set against opposing walls, each with its own straw-filled mattress, a small pillow and a thin blanket.

One small, grimy window looked out across the stableyard; down below, I could see the stables coming to life.

Other grooms were leading horses out to the grazing pastures; the castle blacksmith — his forge built out-of-sight behind the stables — was already fitting iron shoes to one of the Lord's best horses, and yet more grooms were resting on wooden benches outside the tack room, polishing leather harnesses and metal bits to a high shine.

Crossing the room to the dresser, I washed myself quickly, relishing the coolness of the water as it served to wake me properly. I dragged a comb through my blonde hair and quickly tied an old leather band across my forehead to keep my hair out of my face as I worked.

Cassius came back into our quarters, carrying armfuls of new livery.

"Dress quickly. The Stablemaster is asking for you."

I quickly stripped off my sleeping shirt - little more than an old undershirt of my father's — and dressed.

My new attire consisted of a black fabric tunic, with white stitching on the seams, a leather belt, black woollen socks, black knee-high boots and a deep brown overcoat, to be worn on cold days. My new Lord's coat-of-arms was embroidered on the front of both tunic and overcoat.

"Come with me."

Cassius led me from the room as soon as I was ready.

I followed him along the dark passageway, down a narrow, rickety stairway and out to the stableyard.