Familiar Strangers

By CamilaAldebol

Kai and Louis were best friends when they were little but when Kai moves to Australia they lose contact. Seve... More

Familiar Strangers
Prologue - Dear Louis
Chapter 1 - The Keys
Chapter 2 - 1D at Nando's
Chapter 3 - The Call
Chapter 4 - The Meeting
Chapter 5 - Recording Studio
Chapter 6 - Get to Know You
Chapter 7 - Those Blue Eyes
Chapter 9 - Twitcam
Chapter 10 - Tattoo
Chapter 11 - He Knows
Chapter 12 - Malakai Grace
Chapter 13 - Say Something
Chapter 14 - Familiar Strangers No More
Chapter 15 - When the Darkness Comes
Chapter 16 - Not Again
Chapter 17 - Haunted
Chapter 18 - Blank Page
Chapter 19 - Starting Over
PLEASE READ!
Chapter 20 - Rehearsals
Chapter 21 - Mine
Chapter 22 - Yours
Chapter 23 - Don't Give Up
Chapter 24 - The Dream
Epilogue - Time

Chapter 8 - Don't You Remember

224 8 0
By CamilaAldebol

Sorry for the late update!! Gif and song to the side!

*The song Kai sings is Adele's Don't You Remember hence the chapter name!

Chapter 8 - Don't You Remember

Kai

Three Weeks Later

"Yes mom, of course I'll visit. We've been so busy lately rehearsing with the lads but I promise to visit real soon." I smile to myself thinking of the woman on the other side of the phone. Her brown hair in a short bob and her brown eyes sparkling with joy. The thing about mom is her eyes are always full of light. The only time I've ever seen her eyes dull and lifeless was when dad died and the months that followed. Sometimes I can still see traces of sadness in them but its a rare occasion. "Maybe Louis could come along. I haven't seen that boy since he was just barely a teenager." Mom still doesn't know Louis does not remember me and that I've chosen to not remind him. She believes Louis and I are best friends again. If only that were true. Sometimes I catch myself about to say something about our friendship, a memory only we share but then I realize he doesn't know we shared it.

I put the phone on speaker to tie my hair into a pony tail. Today is our day off from rehearsing and all we've done is hang around the house. We invited Avril and Leah over for a girls night. Avril is already here but I left her and the girls in the living room looking for some privacy. "Yeah mom. I'll see if Louis can go visit too. He hasn't changed a bit, still the same old boy you knew." I say tightly because I'm lying. He's not the same boy but a stranger that just looks and sounds like him. Okay, maybe I'm being a tad judgmental. He still has the same personality. A sound at the door makes me turn around and drop the phone. Avril stands in the doorway her blonde brows scrunched together in confusion. Shit! She must have heard me. I quickly pick up the phone and tell mom that I have to go and hang up.

"Kai what do you mean he's still the same boy you knew? You knew Louis when he was little?" She asks and my heart hammers with fear because I've been caught. I never expected someone to find out so I don't know what to say. So of course the only thing that comes out of my mouth is rubbish.

I try hard to avoid her icy blue gaze but I find myself feeling guilty for lying. "Ah, no thats not. Um I didn't say that, you ah ah." Avril looks back at me like she doesn't believe me and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't believe myself either.

"Right I'm not deaf I know what I heard. Whats going on Kai?" She says crossing her arms across her chest with a pointed look.

"Nothing I just." I sigh and shake my head in resignation. "I'm originally from Doncaster not London. Louis and I knew each other when we were little."

Her pretty face contorts in confusion. "Then why did you say you were from London? And why doesn't Louis act like he knows you? Actually you don't act like you know each other at all." She raises her hands in exasperation.

I sigh and feel tears spring to my eyes. I try to blink them away to no avail. "Because he doesn't remember me and I don't want him to." My voice lowers at the end because I'm just over the whole situation.

"Why not?" My face must have said it all because she raises her eyebrows then smiles sadly in understanding. "He forgot and you're hurt. You must have been close then."

I scoff and shake my head. "He was my best friend." Actually he was more than that, he was my everything, he was family.

Avril's eyes look back at me with empathy. "You have to tell me everything."

I sigh and brush a strand of hair out of my face. "I will just not now. And please Av don't tell him or anybody. Please." I plead to her because even if deep down I want him to know my heart is hurt and I just can't face him right now.

Avril bites her bottom lip and slowly nods. "Alright but Kai, the truth is goin' to come out eventually. What are you going to do? Keep lying for the rest of your life?"

I'm about to answer but I hear Leah's voice coming from the living room and decide against it. I don't need anyone else finding out even if I feel guilty about lying. I just can't face the truth right now. And I know I'll have to tell Leah soon enough.

"Leah's here! Come on we're going to put the movie in." Kiran's voice reaches me before her head pops into my room. She looks from me to Avril probably noticing the tension in my body and arches a blonde brow. "Everything alright?!"

I force a smile on my face and walk towards the door with my phone in hand. "Everything's absolutely perfect. Now lets go watch that movie." I take Avril by the hand and walk into the living room to find Kyle and Leah settled on the couch.

"Hey!" Leah says cheerily her hazel eyes big and round full of light. One thing I've learned about Leah in the few weeks I've known her is that her eyes are something special. You can see all her emotions through them which makes them a beautiful sight. I smile and take a seat next to her just as Kyle presses play and the movie begins.

----

Avril and Kiran are grabbing each others hands tightly and have one eye closed. Next to me Kyle has a pillow over her face and Leah is currently hiding behind me as the main character is walking through the dark and creepy house all by herself. The girls have been like this since the movie started which was approximately an hour ago. I personally enjoy a good horror film but I guess I'm the only one considering the look of total fear on their faces. The music intensifies and we're on edge. "Don't open the door!" Kyle cries out her eyes big. The girl is about to open the door and I have a really bad feeling about it. Just as she is about to open a knock on the door scares the shit out of us. "Ahhh!" We all scream at the same time and look at the front door.

Annoyed as to who it could be and what they could possibly want at this hour I walk up to the door (cautiously because I'm still a little scared) and open it. And I'm met by five cheeky smiles. "You've got to be kidding me. You scared the shit out of us!" I say playfully hitting Niall in the arm.

The five of them begin to laugh as the other girls stand next to me and glare at them. "What are you doing here?" Leah asks Zayn directly with her brow up. She looks annoyed and Zayn quickly stops laughing.

"We" says Harry pointing to them "were just in the neighborhood and decided to drop by your 'girls night'." His eyes gleam with mischief and amusement as they look back at us. His gaze flicks over to Kyle for just a tiny second and turns back to me. Harry has been kind of iffy lately when it comes to Kyle. I mean they talk and everything but he just seems more reserved, closed off.

Avril steps up and glares at them but ends up smiling. I swear those boys can get away with anything where Avril's concerned. They could probably blow up her apartment and she wouldn't care. "Well you can't just drop by because this is a girls night and you my friends are boys. Unless there is something you need to tell us." Avril mocks them and we all burst out laughing.

Harry smirks and looks around. "Actually...." He starts saying and Louis punches him in the arm playfully. This is the first time I acknowledge Louis since I opened the door. His hair is disheveled and his face has a five o'clock shadow, which I have to say looks rather stunning on him. I want to feel it rubbing against my skin when he kisses me. Wait no. I don't want that. I definitely don't want that. Ugh.

Louis turns to me flashing his beautiful smile and I almost feel like its seven years ago and he knows who I am. That he remembers all we went through, all those late night sleepovers no one but us ever knew about. "Sorry 'bout the interruption we were just bloody bored and thought what better to do than to hang out with you girls." He includes all of us but his eyes say he meant me. Or maybe I'm just seeing things again, that happens a lot lately. The last three weeks have been amazing and yet completely torturous. I love spending time with the girls and seeing Avril everyday and Leah every other day. The lads have been the best, helping us with our songs and even singing a track with us. Simon comes to see us at the end of each week to evaluate the progress and he's been pretty supportive. I used to be so scared of his opinion but I've learned he's just really honest. Singing everyday is absolutely perfect especially when your surrounded by family and friends. I can't help but feel nostalgic of all the moments Louis and I spent as children doing the same thing except at the park or our houses. It was our favorite pass time along with playing football which was more of a Louis thing than mine. When I hear Louis sing I remember him sitting beside my father at the piano as they sang together. Dad is who made me love music.

I feel my chest tightening at the memory so I force myself to forget it. Kyle gazes at Harry from the corner of the room with a tiny smile on her face. "Well then come on in." She says and Harry sends her the most breath taking smile which makes her blush. I haven't seen Kyle blush since she started dating Bryan. As you can probably tell I'm not a big fan of Bryan. He seems so fake around me and Kiran plus I've over heard Kyle fighting with him on the phone and its not pretty. I glare at Kyle for letting them come in and she just shrugs. I guess she and Kiran are tired of my inability to be in the same room with Louis for more than an hour.

The lads come in and settle on the couch and kitchen counter. Liam points at the telly and chuckles. "So this is why we scared the 'shit' out of you ladies." He says air quoting shit and the girls laugh and nod.

"That thing is terrifying." Kiran adds with a side glance at the frozen image on the telly. She makes a face at it and we all laugh again.

"It isn't that bad! Come on its just a creepy guy killing everyone." I joke chuckling while I try to stay serious.

Zayn is standing next to a seated Leah with an arm around her shoulders. "Sounds fun." His sarcastic tone brings a smile to my face. "So there was another reason we came looking for you girls. Specifically the three of you." He says pointing to Kiran first the Kyle and finally me.

"Um okay, whats up?!" Kiran eyes them worriedly and Liam stands up and rests a hand on her shoulder and squeezes. She looks up and smiles shyly tucking a strand blonde hair behind her ear.

Liam smiles radiantly. "Simon told us it was time the fans knew we were working with you girls and that you're performing at the Red Cross Charity Concert."

Niall gets up now with his always present smile. "And we thought what better way to announce it than with a twitcam." He says and none of us say anything. Oh god this is it. Millions of people will be watching it and they'll know who we are. What if they don't like us?! I mean what happens then?!

Harry looks at each of us finally resting on Kyle. "I know its a bit last minute and we're aware things will definitely change for you after this but we're confident you can handle it." He says reassuringly and I know he's trying to lessen the shock factor. Kiran takes a deep breath and looks at me with determination. I guess we can't really say no and even if we did it has to happen sometime. Two down only one to go.

"Kyle?" I say her name uncertain of her answer. By the look of utter shock and fear in her face I'm worried she's gonna say no. But instead she smiles widely which lightens up her eye and nods.

Harry is smirking to himself and has a awe struck look in his eyes. "Most definitely. Lets get the party started!" She says happily and we all laugh along with her. "But I need ten minutes because I need to look beautiful if people are going to be seeing me!"

Kiran raises her hand and agrees. "Ditto." Her Australian accent making an appearance. Even though Kiran was born in Australia her accent is mostly English but you can hear her Aussie slip out frequently. People get confused as to where she's from because of it.

"You girls always look beautiful." Niall assures us with a shy smile. I swear that boy is just so sweet! The girl who captures his heart is going to be one lucky girl.

"Thank you Ni, but I still need those ten minutes." Kyle says pecking Niall on the cheek which causes him to redden. So cute.

Louis chuckles at his mate's obvious blush and pats him on the shoulder. "Its alright we'll get everything set up in the meantime." Louis says to Kyle then moving on to me. His beautiful eyes pierce mine and I find myself breathless. I quickly turn away an head towards my room.

Ughh!! Stop it! You can't feel those things for him. Not anymore.

I chastise myself over and over again as I put some light make up. But I know its futile because my heart has a will of its own. It doesn't want to be reasoned with. I sigh looking at my reflexion and find a stranger. My blue eyes look dull and sad even with the black eyeliner and thick coat of mascara I've applied and my now glossy lips turned into a flat line. My eyes fall to the open notebook on my vanity and I touch the words written in black ink. Words I wrote thinking of him. I close my eyes and begin to I sing then softly.

When will I see you again?

You left with no goodbye, not a single word was said

No final kiss to seal any sins

I had no idea of the state we were in

But don't you remember? Don't you remember?

The reason you loved me before

Baby, please remember me once more

When was the last time you thought of me?

Or have you completely erased me from your memory?

I often think about where I went wrong

the more I do, the less I know

But don't you remember? Don't you remember?

The reason you loved me before

Baby, please remember me once more

I gave you the space so you could breathe

I kept my distance so you would be free

And hope that you find the missing piece

To bring you back to me

Why don't you remember? Don't you remember?

The reason you loved me before

Baby, please remember me once more

When will I see you again?

I open my eyes with the last lyrics tears brimming at the sides and find him staring back at me.

----

Hey lovies! I'm back and yes I'm very aware I took a long time to update but school (like I've said in the past) is just completely overpowering my life! Plus I've been busy dealing with stuff about my school's volleyball tournament (which is one of the best in our region) which is next week! Anyway I really hope you like this chapter and thank you so much for all the support!

Vote and commet!

Love, Kamila :) </pre>

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

154 10 12
Life for Kyle Hall couldn't be better. She and her cousins, Malakai and Kiran, form the band The Keys and their recent success at the Annual Red Cros...
77.9K 1.8K 98
BOOK 1: After the help from her family, Liz decides to audition for The X Factor USA. Singing has been her passion and this was her chance to discove...
10.7K 454 44
Louis Tomlinson. He is the typical ideal athlete at his school, Hayfield high school. Everyone thinks they know him. You know, a player with a big eg...
1.9K 71 12
Emma goes to Richmond High, she has no clue who One Direction is, nor does she care. So when she wins the school contest to take a trip to the UK wi...