Popular Meets Unpopular

By danceforever456

Julianne Banks is captain of the cheerleading team and the most popular girl in school. So, when the coach o... More

Great Day-1
Tutor-2
You Talk A Lot-3
Not Nice-4
New People-5
New Friend-6
Amends-7
Strange-8
Talking It Out-9
Concern-10
Surprised-11
Only Trouble-12
Party Hardy-13
Words-14
Telling-15
Seems Crazy-17
Back When-18
Issues-19
Shock-20
Tension-21
Time to Plan-22
Help-23
Boys-24
Decide-25
Competition-26
Birthday Pt. 1-27
Birthday Pt. 2-28
Say It-29
The Call-30
Selfish-31
Fix You-32
Epilogue

Night Out-16

5.3K 163 67
By danceforever456

"It's car-mel."

"No, it's car-a-mel."

"No, stop."

"Then where does the 'a' go?"

"Up your ass."

Kane looks at Robin, blankly. "Ha ha, very funny but I'm serious."

"Well, I'm serious too!" Robin exclaims. "The 'a' is silent."

For the past ten minutes, while I was texting Grant about the plan today, these nutters have been going on about how to pronounce the word caramel. I know, ridiculous, right?

"Can you guys shut up for a second?" I say, rubbing at my temples.

They just look at me and then continue on with their conversation.

My phone bings and I look down to see a text from Grant.

Grant the Smartie: what time are you picking me up?

I text back, 6 and yeah I know the game starts at 7 but I'm a cheerleader so I have to be there early, if you don't mind :)))

Grant the Smartie: yeah, it's fine but what am I gonna do until the game starts?

I don't know. There'll be a few people early too so your not the only one ;)

Grant the Smartie: oh great, that's reassuring

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not but knowing you you probably are

Grant the Smartie: yeah, you're right

I let out a small chuckle at his response.

"Who's got you all googly-eyed?" Kane says, narrowing his eyes.

I snap my head towards him. "What? I'm not googly-eyed. What drugs are you on, Kane? You seriously need to stop."

"Geez," he mutters, "calm down, energizer."

I huff. "I am calm."

And then he attempts to mock me and says in a high-pitched voice, "I am calm."

"I'm hungry." Robin whines, suddenly.

Kane opens his mouth, most likely about to mock her too but Robin gives him a pointed glare. "If you mock me, I promise, I will chop your balls off." and then his mouth closes.

She smiles, triumphantly and then proceeds to lay her head down in his lap.

I roll my eyes at them. "Anyways, are you guys coming to the game?"

"No, I can't," Robin says. "I'm going to this family gathering at my aunts house today and you know how my mom is about those."

I nod, because I do. Mrs Wright tries to have a family gathering at least once a month and if she doesn't she has two a month. Yeah, it's no joke.

"What about you, Kane?" I ask.

He sighs. "No, sorry, Amelia and I are going to....talk later."

I raise my eyebrows. "To talk? About what?"

He subconsciously starts to play with Robins' hair. "I don't know, she texted me like an hour ago saying she wanted to talk but I have a feeling on what's it about."

Robin looks up at him. "What do you think?"

"I don't think she has feelings for me anymore."

I frown. "Ahh, I'm sorry, Kane."

He shakes his head and lets out a small chuckle. "No, it's fine because I guess the feeling is sorta mutual."

I shrug. "That's good, I guess."

He nods. "Yeah, but I still care for her a lot. We have a strong connection but not a romantic one. She's like the little sister I never had."

Robin grimaces. "That sounds wierd. Didn't you guys kiss?"

He frowns. "No but now I'm glad we didn't because that does sound wierd."

We all shudder.

After that disturbing thought, we just continue to talk until the clock hits five. Robin leaves because she has to get ready for her family gathering and Kane leaves for his meet up with Amelia.

Now, I'm left to choose which outfit to wear after the game. I look at my closet in frustration and groan, seeming as to I can't find anything to wear. I'll just choose when I come back.

So, I put on my cheer uniform and apply my makeup and also put my hair into a ponytail with my cheer bow.

I leave the house and get into my car, putting the direction into my GPS to find his house and shoot him a quick 'on my way' text.

I arrive ten minutes early and when I pull up to his house, it's an average size house, nothing too fancy. There's a flower bed in the front of the house, which looks beautiful. I let out a deep breath and knock on the door. I stand there for five seconds before the door opens, which reveals a short woman with chestnut colored hair.

She smiles politely at me and sticks her hand out for a handshake. "Hi, you must be Julianne. I'm Janice, Grants' mom."

I suddenly get more nervous than I already was and give her a polite smile back, shaking her hand. "Nice to meet you."

Before she could say anything back Grant shows up from behind his mom, opening the door wider.

"Mom," he grumbles to her, "I told you I had it."

I notice Grant's outfit when I first see him. He's wearing a baseball tee something different from his usual plain colored t-shirts and blue jeans. His hair seemed to be neater than his usual 'I just woke up' look.

She reaches up to pinch his cheeks. "It's okay sweetie, Julianne's a nice lady. And oh! You look so nice!"

He swats her hand away, with a small blush on his cheeks. "Thank you, mom. Okay, well, we're gonna go." and then gives her a small kiss on the cheek.

He steps out of his house and grabs my wrist, which catches me by surprise.

Mrs Moore waves goodbye to us. "You two have a good time on your date."

Before Grant could say anything she winks at him and closes the door.

Grant gapes at the door with a slight blush forming on his cheeks.

He quickly turns to me, rubbing his neck. "I didn't tell her this was a date, by the way. She just assumed...I'm sorry."

I smile and let out a small chuckle. "It's fine, let's go."

Grant walks to the drivers side of the car and I give him a confused look but it goes away once I realize he's opening my door for me.

My face gets hot and he gives me a smile that has my heart racing. "Thank you." I say and then get in the car.

"You're welcome." he replies, and then closes my door.

Two hours into the football game and our team has the lead. I look up at Grant who is watching the game with an intense look on his face. He looks down at me and smiles, to which I smile back.

A few minutes later and Grant and I are leaving the game.

I look at him on the way to my car. "So, did you enjoy the game?"

He nods. "Yeah, it was fun." he then lets out a laugh. "Can I be honest with you?"

I nod. "Wouldn't want you lying to me, what's up?"

We hop into my car and then he continues, "That was the first high school football game I've been to."

My eyes widen and my mouth hangs slightly open. "Wh-I mean, how?"

He sighs. "Yeah, I know it's ridiculous. I don't know, I was just never interested."

I look over at him, slightly before looking back to the road. "But you seem so focused on the game."

"Yeah because I was trying to understand it."

This comes as utter shock to me because I've never talked to a guy that wasn't interested in football.

"Well..it's okay because it's not mandatory to attend a football game."

We pull to my house and we both get out and I tell him to wait on the couch while I go change.

I end up choosing an army green halter top with high waisted jeans and a pair of sandals. I give a glance at myself in the mirror one last time before I head out.

On my way downstairs I see Grant is on his phone but when he hears me come down he lifts his head up and he stands up from the couch, putting his phone in his pocket.

He clears his throat. "You-you look great."

I smile. "Thanks, so do you. I meant to tell you earlier."

He lets out a nervous chuckle. "Really? I don't look overdone, with my hair and everything?"

I push his shoulder. "Shut up, you're starting to sound like a girl."

He raises his hands in surrender. "Okay, okay."

I laugh and we head out the door.

We walk into the pizzeria and chose a booth near the window.

A waiter walks up to us. "Hello, my name is Randy and I'll be your waiter today. Can we start with some drinks first?"

Grant nods at me to go first. "Yes, I would just like a sweet tea."

He smiles at me. "Okay, got that for the pretty lady. And you?"

Grant gives him a tight smile. "Uh, Sprite is good."

"Okay, I'll be right back with your drinks." and then he leaves but not without throwing me a quick wink.

Grant scoffs. "Gosh, what a douche."

I shrug. "What? I thought he was nice."

He scoffs again. "The guy was obviously flirting with you. Who does that? Can't he see that we're..."

I raise my eyebrows, with an amused look on my face. "That we're what?"

He shakes his head, looking down. "Uh, nothing, I was just...nothing."

I bite down on my bottom lip to suppress the smile that was fighting to appear on my face.

A few moments later, he comes back with our drinks and Grant and I both decide to share a large pepperoni pizza and a small sausage pizza with two small bowls of salad.

I take a sip of my drink. "So, tell me about your mom."

He shrugs. "What about her?"

"I don't know, she seems nice. Are you guys close?"

A small smile appears on his face. "Yeah, I guess we are. And she is nice, she tries to do the best for me, you know? She never wants to see me upset."

I scrunch my eyebrows. "Why would you be upset?"

He sighs. "Things that happen because life just sucks sometimes. And I don't mean to be rude but that was why I didn't like you at first. Because your life just seemed so perfect with everything seeming to go your way when mine...it just sucked."

I nod, understanding because that's the reason most people don't like me for. They used to look at me and wonder why I got everything. But now things aren't the same anymore.

"Does it still suck?" I ask.

He lets out a breath. "A little but..it's getting better." And then he gives me small smile.

I smile too. "Good."

Our food arrives and like every other guy when they see food Grant digs in immediately.

I let out a laugh. "Woah there wolfie, slow down."

He just shakes his head with his mouth stuffed with food, making him look like a chipmunk with acorns in his mouth.

We finished our food and Grant and I are arguing again. He just can't seem to let it go.

"Grant," I whine, "I already told you I'm paying. Why are we going over this again?"

"Because I'll feel guilty." He explains. "I know you feel sorry for saying what you said and I get that already, you don't have to pay. Besides, I wasn't that hurt by it."

He tried to say the last sentence nonchalantly but it didn't work I knew he was hurt. I was there I saw his expression and it kills me to know that I did that.

I sit there giving him a death glare until he decides to give up and let me pay. Which, he does.

"Ugh," he grunts, while sticking his wallet back in his pocket. "okay, fine but definitely next time."

Randy, our waiter, comes back to get the money for the food and comes back again to give the receipt but before he leaves he winks at me, thank God we're leaving.

I pick up the receipt and randomly look at it and what I see blows my mind. It's the freaking guys number. His number! And then of course there's a winky face on it.

I snap my head up, trying to find him and I see him staring at me from behind the counter and he smirks at me. Ha, he thinks I'm interested. Well, think again, buddy.

As a nice treat, I rip it up right in his face and his smirks instantly falls, which brings a smirk to my face.

And as another treat I walk up to Grant grabbing his hand and then placing a kiss on his cheek. "Ready to go?"

A massive blush appears on his face and he looks down at our conjoined hands. "Uh, yeah."

And then we walk out hand in hand.

I decide not to tell Grant about the receipt situation since it wasn't that big of a deal.

We get in my car and I start the car, turning up the radio. I start to drive and the song changes to Cheerleader by OMI.

"Oh gosh," Grant says, "not this song."

"What?" I ask.

"This song is so overplayed."

I nod. "Yeah, it is." And then a slow smile comes on my face as I turn it up. "But it's catchy."

I start to sing along to it.

She is always in my corner
Right there when I want her
All these other girls are tempting
But I'm empty when you're gone
And they say

I look over at Grant. "Come on, Grant, sing it."

He shakes his head. "I refuse."

"Do it."

He sighs. "I don't even know the words."

I gasp, dramatically. "Liar, yes you do. How could you not?"

He puts his mouth in a tight line.

"Hurry before the chorus comes!"

And then it comes.

And we're both singing it.

Oh, I think that I've found myself a cheerleader
She is always right there when I need her
Oh, I think that I've found myself a cheerleader
She is always right there when I need her

"Ha," I exclaim. "I knew you knew it."

"Shut up." he mumbles.

I pull up to his house a few minutes later and I walk him to his door.

"I had a lot of fun tonight." Grant starts.

"Yeah, me too. I'm glad I got to bring you to your first football game."

He chuckles and nods. "Me too."

We both just stand there for a while before he starts to say goodbye.

"Goodnigh-"

"Wait!" I say, frantically, not wanting him to leave just yet.

He turns back towards me and I step towards him giving him a tight hug. He wraps his arms around me too and I close my eyes in content at how peaceful his arms are.

"Goodnight Grant." I whisper into his chest.

"Goodnight Julianne."

But, oh how I wish I could do more than hug him goodnight.

A/N:

Have a good day everyone!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

267K 9.8K 18
My dad kept on telling me that being a nerd isn't a bad thing and that I'm on the right track but I'm positive that being terrorized in the halls dai...
341K 12K 30
This story is about a popular guy Martin of Global High school. He is the best football player of his school and so a captain of his team. He is hea...
292 67 20
7th grader, Juliet Goodyear can't wait for school to start! New friends, new teachers, voice lessons, and a whole new year! Juliet's reputation wasn'...
6.3M 114K 37
Brooklyn Banks is a nerd. Ever since she was in middle school and junior high, she's been mocked and teased about how she dresses and how she's so sm...